Chris Hyndman of Steven and Chris has died

Unfortunately balconies are kind of designed to be accident proof. Sure kids will sometimes climb over the edge and fall, but it is virtually impossible to accidentally fall over the edge unless you are doing something quite stupid. The only case I recall was a woman falling fro the luxury condo at the mouth of the humber river. Apparently she fell while standing on a chair to water a hanging plant. It was later proved that her husband had thrown her over and staged the accident.

I am inclined to agree with you.
It wouldn't be all that easy to "fall" off

I posted my thoughts on page 1 or 2, about how the location of the body and orientation of it doesn't seem to indicate he jumped, at least to me. To recap, you can tell by the pics of him lying in the very middle of that alley, that he was lying on his back, feet upright and feet closest to the building where his penthouse/balcony was above. IMO if someone is going to jump from 6 stories, they're going to land on their front/abdomen (or that side of them, not their back). Also his arms were not spread out at all, though it appeared perhaps that his left arm was up to his side as something sticking out from under the tarp at the top, above where head would be. Also I would expect you'd see some evidence of blood from the impact somewhere, particularly if he'd been lying there for a while until he was found.......but based on the pics in the media you see nothing. From only 6 stories high I just can't see him having ended up in the position he was found in, on his back, feet closest to his building, and that far into the middle of the alley. Yes yes, we see the pics of the cops with flashlights pointing/looking upward but that to me means nothing.......they are merely scoping out the scene as you'd expect them to do when coming across a body in the middle of an alley, IMO.

We don't know his overall health status. 49 is an age where men are at higher risk for a heart attack. A sudden major heart attack can drop you in your tracks. So could a brain or aortic aneurysm.

Too many other details we don't know nor are we (nor should we) be privy to..........was his partner Steven home at the time? Had they had a fight? Did Steven see him accidentally fall over? Was he coming home from somewhere and perhaps walking through the alley because he was going to be entering his building from the back/coming from a parking lot onsite?

I see on reddit and media articles where comments can be left, people are jumping on the bandwagon with respect to a previous interview he gave long ago about how difficult it was to grow up where he did in Newfoundland, being a gay teenager with nobody to share that with......and how at the time, due to this, he'd felt suicidal. I see people running with this and claiming that means he must have a history of depression. I think this is silly. Things were very much different when hew as a teenager, growing up in a smaller very conservative likely predominantly Catholic area, 35 years ago.......when it would have been a nightmare for a teen male to have to try and live with/hide. But this has surely not been his life since then. He's been openly gay, in a longterm public relationship/partnership w/ Steven for 26 years I believe it was said........he's not having to hide his sexuality now, or pretend to be something he's not. Now perhaps he has suffered w/ depression since then but I think it's a crazy and irrresponsible 'stretch' for people to extrapolate that because he admitted to depression and suicidal ideations as a teen trying to live/hide being gay, 35 years ago, that obviously he's always struggled w/ depression.

I would also imagine if the autopsy concludes that he died due to something like heart attack, aneurysm, etc...that that kind of info would likely be released (due to all of the crazy speculation of him having jumped intentionally).....and if we hear nothing, then yes, that might lend itself to meaning that it was suicide.

I would like to know, however, how LE seemed to rather quickly be able to determine (at the scene, it seemed) that there was no sign of foul play. They would have had no idea if he'd overdosed, had been poisoned, etc (meaning, causes of death that don't show outward signs). They would also have had no idea if he'd dropped dead of a heart attack. So I guess they had more info, perhaps from his partner, than we are/or should be privy to. who knows maybe if it was suicide that he had a note on him.

I have to say, I did find it somewhat strange that the tarp they had wrapped around/on top of his body seemed to be so snuggly wrapped. Why wouldn't they just lay it out more on top? Couldn't wrapping it or tucking it close to the body like it seems to show in pics possibly impact/contaminate possible forensic evidence?

That being said, there are morons online who are claiming that he was FOUND wrapped in a tarp, which is absurd and if that were the case then it would most definitely be a homicide investigation, sheesh.

Is that typical in Canada, that if a public person commits suicide, it is not published?

No.
Family, friends, and acquaintances choose what they want to share with the public and the media. Cause of death is not always revealed to the public. It's not anyone's business or right to know why and how someone has died. People die every single day in Canada, but we don't hear about it and aren't given details.

We don't know if it is suicide, but it wouldn't make it any better if it was a homicide.

Sad to see Chris Hyndman depart in this manner. Alone in an alleyway is awful for someone who was much loved.

I posted my thoughts on page 1 or 2, about how the location of the body and orientation of it doesn't seem to indicate he jumped, at least to me. To recap, you can tell by the pics of him lying in the very middle of that alley, that he was lying on his back, feet upright and feet closest to the building where his penthouse/balcony was above. IMO if someone is going to jump from 6 stories, they're going to land on their front/abdomen (or that side of them, not their back). Also his arms were not spread out at all, though it appeared perhaps that his left arm was up to his side as something sticking out from under the tarp at the top, above where head would be. Also I would expect you'd see some evidence of blood from the impact somewhere, particularly if he'd been lying there for a while until he was found.......but based on the pics in the media you see nothing. From only 6 stories high I just can't see him having ended up in the position he was found in, on his back, feet closest to his building, and that far into the middle of the alley. Yes yes, we see the pics of the cops with flashlights pointing/looking upward but that to me means nothing.......they are merely scoping out the scene as you'd expect them to do when coming across a body in the middle of an alley, IMO.

We don't know his overall health status. 49 is an age where men are at higher risk for a heart attack. A sudden major heart attack can drop you in your tracks. So could a brain or aortic aneurysm.

Too many other details we don't know nor are we (nor should we) be privy to..........was his partner Steven home at the time? Had they had a fight? Did Steven see him accidentally fall over? Was he coming home from somewhere and perhaps walking through the alley because he was going to be entering his building from the back/coming from a parking lot onsite?

I see on reddit and media articles where comments can be left, people are jumping on the bandwagon with respect to a previous interview he gave long ago about how difficult it was to grow up where he did in Newfoundland, being a gay teenager with nobody to share that with......and how at the time, due to this, he'd felt suicidal. I see people running with this and claiming that means he must have a history of depression. I think this is silly. Things were very much different when hew as a teenager, growing up in a smaller very conservative likely predominantly Catholic area, 35 years ago.......when it would have been a nightmare for a teen male to have to try and live with/hide. But this has surely not been his life since then. He's been openly gay, in a longterm public relationship/partnership w/ Steven for 26 years I believe it was said........he's not having to hide his sexuality now, or pretend to be something he's not. Now perhaps he has suffered w/ depression since then but I think it's a crazy and irrresponsible 'stretch' for people to extrapolate that because he admitted to depression and suicidal ideations as a teen trying to live/hide being gay, 35 years ago, that obviously he's always struggled w/ depression.

I would also imagine if the autopsy concludes that he died due to something like heart attack, aneurysm, etc...that that kind of info would likely be released (due to all of the crazy speculation of him having jumped intentionally).....and if we hear nothing, then yes, that might lend itself to meaning that it was suicide.

I would like to know, however, how LE seemed to rather quickly be able to determine (at the scene, it seemed) that there was no sign of foul play. They would have had no idea if he'd overdosed, had been poisoned, etc (meaning, causes of death that don't show outward signs). They would also have had no idea if he'd dropped dead of a heart attack. So I guess they had more info, perhaps from his partner, than we are/or should be privy to. who knows maybe if it was suicide that he had a note on him.

I have to say, I did find it somewhat strange that the tarp they had wrapped around/on top of his body seemed to be so snuggly wrapped. Why wouldn't they just lay it out more on top? Couldn't wrapping it or tucking it close to the body like it seems to show in pics possibly impact/contaminate possible forensic evidence?

I think this is where i am having difficulty also

Snipped by me
I posted my thoughts on page 1 or 2, about how the location of the body and orientation of it doesn't seem to indicate he jumped, at least to me. To recap, you can tell by the pics of him lying in the very middle of that alley, that he was lying on his back, feet upright and feet closest to the building where his penthouse/balcony was above. IMO if someone is going to jump from 6 stories, they're going to land on their front/abdomen (or that side of them, not their back).

I would imagine that when the ambulance or LE first arrived, they would turn a prone body over to assess the situation and to also administer aid. We don't know how the body was originally.

Whatever the cause, he'll be missed.

That's a good point, never thought of that.

Snipped by me

I would imagine that when the ambulance or LE first arrived, they would turn a prone body over to assess the situation and to also administer aid. We don't know how the body was originally.

So sad to hear about this… we got into watching S&C's show when it started airing in the DC area, a while back… it was one of the few talk shows we found worth the time to watch.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Lots of guests.
So welcome to join the discussion

Snipped by me

Yes, in the end he is very much and was much loved publicly and personally. I keep reading if it was suicide, there was no note...many many many times there isn't a note. I am inclined to think the position of his body was placed in the supine position by responders. I hope that the public does find out what happened. Steven and family would benefit from the outpouring of support and love.

Going through Instagram photos, and the many pictures of the balcony...that is a pretty tall rail. Can't see anyone accidentally falling over that, even in a medical event, unless they were standing on a chair to begin with. They also have a tall dog who goes out there so it seems they'd make sure it was a non-jumpable height for her.

https://instagram.com/p/jywZofN9Gq/?taken-by=stevenandchris

If you look at the height of the chair back in this photo (lower right), you see that a person couldn't easily see over the top rail (to look down) of the balcony rail without standing up. It looks like it hits right at eye-line level when seated.

https://instagram.com/p/p2WxXYt9Aq/?taken-by=stevenandchris

For these ladies in this photo it appears to be about chest height. Not sure how tall he was, though. Again, you can see the chair heights and compare to the very top railing.

There looks to be ledge on the other side of the balcony.

https://instagram.com/p/p97jjxt9Er/?taken-by=stevenandchris

I supposed one could climb over, face toward the balcony and choose to 'let go'. I can imagine there might be some who have no desire to 'see' the journey down.

I do agree, though that whoever found him first or first responders could very well have turned him over.

Someone had commented about bleeding. I believe a pretty instant lack of heartbeat/pulse after impact would reduce tremendously the amount of blood lost from the body.

The facing upward discussion has reminded me of 'the most beautiful suicide', Evelyn McHale, who jumped from the observation deck of the Empire State building. Obviously, she had, I think, 86 floors so how she landed likely had little to do with which way she started out facing. But she did land on a car, on her back.

However he died, my thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones. Sad.

Is that typical in Canada, that if a public person commits suicide, it is not published?

Even when someone jumps from a bridge, overpass or in front of a subway car they just call it a "police operation". They think it deters copycats or something.

Agree that you cannot assume the body covered with tarp was in the same position it was found in. Also possible to jump backwards off a building. I saw that in the very sad documentary " the bridge". Anyway, the lack of blood is curious.
But most telling is the lack of any police updates, or need for suspects or witnesses. I suppose it's possible he was in the alley and dropped dead from natural causes, but if that isn't revealed by tomorrow I'd say it's suicide. Wondering when and if family will make a statement. I'm not sure it's right that suicides are not covered. I mean I know that's the case but I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Condolences to Chris' family.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/08/06/chris-hyndmans-mother-believes-he-died-sleepwalking.html

The grieving mother of television personality Chris Hyndman believes her only child fell to his death while sleepwalking on the terrace of his penthouse apartment.

In an emotional phone interview from Moose Jaw, Sask., Glenda Hyndman said her son died in an “unfortunate accident.”

“Christopher was a sleepwalker, and he did that a lot. He even ate in his sleep,” Glenda Hyndman said of her son, who co-hosted the CBC’s popular daytime TV show Steven and Chris. “It’s not good, but that’s his reality.

Glenda said that Hyndman and Sabados went to bed Monday night, and then Sabados was awakened when police knocked on his door to tell him what happened.

“He’s really, really, really struggling,” she said of Sabados. “I’m going up there (to Toronto), and I’m going to stay as long as I need to help him, because I’m his only little piece of Christopher left"

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/08/06/chris-hyndmans-mother-believes-he-died-sleepwalking.html

Sleepwalking was not on my list of possible scenarios.
This is unfortunate, it must be difficult for Steven S. given the situation.
Chris's mother sounds like a sweet person. I'm sorry for the loss of her only child.

Agree that you cannot assume the body covered with tarp was in the same position it was found in. Also possible to jump backwards off a building. I saw that in the very sad documentary " the bridge". Anyway, the lack of blood is curious.
But most telling is the lack of any police updates, or need for suspects or witnesses. I suppose it's possible he was in the alley and dropped dead from natural causes, but if that isn't revealed by tomorrow I'd say it's suicide. Wondering when and if family will make a statement. I'm not sure it's right that suicides are not covered. I mean I know that's the case but I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Condolences to Chris' family.

If he dropped dead from natural causes in that alley, LE would have no idea until an autopsy was done. Chris be a relatively young, healthy man, it would have immediately been deemed suspicious by police. But no, they weren't even looking for witnesses.

The reason being that it was obvious that he fell from the balcony and when they went up they found the note. No need for an explanation. Just have to interview his partner and make sure everything checks out.

Saw Jeannie Beker interviewed and found it interesting that she talked about how Chris had helped her out of her depression. Odd story to tell if he had been murdered, completely relevant if he succumbed to depression. And I'm sure his close friends already know what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you're only assuming a note was found. I've read nothing to verify this to be the case.

I read the very same store of Jeannie Beker's, and my take on it was that she was conveying what a great person he was, very compassionate, a great listener, a great supporter, an all around great guy. I didn't get the impression that her focus was on him helping her with "depression"......she was explaining that when her marriage ended and she was very upset and anxious about it, for her and her 2 children, Chris was a rock of support for her, one of her best guy friends is I believe what she described him as.

If he dropped dead from natural causes in that alley, LE would have no idea until an autopsy was done. Chris be a relatively young, healthy man, it would have immediately been deemed suspicious by police. But no, they weren't even looking for witnesses.

The reason being that it was obvious that he fell from the balcony and when they went up they found the note. No need for an explanation. Just have to interview his partner and make sure everything checks out.

Saw Jeannie Beker interviewed and found it interesting that she talked about how Chris had helped her out of her depression. Odd story to tell if he had been murdered, completely relevant if he succumbed to depression. And I'm sure his close friends already know what happened.

Of course you're only assuming a note was found. I've read nothing to verify this to be the case.

I read the very same store of Jeannie Beker's, and my take on it was that she was conveying what a great person he was, very compassionate, a great listener, a great supporter, an all around great guy. I didn't get the impression that her focus was on him helping her with "depression"......she was explaining that when her marriage ended and she was very upset and anxious about it, for her and her 2 children, Chris was a rock of support for her, one of her best guy friends is I believe what she described him as.

After reading the interview with his mom, doesn't seem like there was a note. As for Bekers interview, you may be right, but I believe that she was expressing her shock that the man that had seen her through her depression succumbed to it himself. She didn't say it but I'm sure she was thinking it.

Very true - if it were natural causes we would have heard " awaiting results from autopsy". I don't believe the sleepwalking story, it's not something police could confirm without a longer investigation. It's likely a story born out of a Mother's extreme grief and seeking answers. Suicide is often difficult to accept. I can't imagine the pain of losing someone that way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ
Back