Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he needed to find this out. It would have appeared in his online/phone banking

It's around 15 years since I used cheques

IIRC the payee info appeared in the online statements?

But I could be making that up.

In any event, the unexpected removal of 1000s from his bank account would not have been a puzzle for very long, given the payee details.

I am fairly certain Chase admitted it was him right away. No other villains would forge a cheque to Chase Merritt

Of course Joe would have been completely puzzled at first, as to why the cheque did not appear in QB. He may never have figured out the trick.

This is what SB said about the Saudi deal
(quote)
“You said you got calls from different people, though, right?” Maline asked.
“Correct,” Blake said.
“And when they called and said ,’Where’s my waterfall?’ you told them that Chase was the one responsible to build it, right?” Maline asked.
“Objection, assumes facts not in evidence that such a call was made,” Imes said.
“Overruled,” Judge Smith said.
“I would ask Chase, yes,” said Blake.
“I’m asking you what you told the customers,” said Maline.
“I don’t remember exactly what we told the customers,” Blake said. “We were trying to keep them calm.”
“You do recall that Chase went to Saudi Arabia and he finished the Saudi Arabian waterfall, correct?” Maline asked.
“I never received…” Blake began
“Objection, leading and foundation,” Deputy District Attorney Melissa Rodriguez interrupted.
“Overruled,” Judge Smith said.
“I never received confirmation on that,” said Blake. “I did tell Chase those funds needed to go back into the bank of Joey’s.”
“And you recall that when Chase was in Saudi Arabia that he sent you an email,” Maline said.
“Not from Saudi – I don’t know,” Blake said.
Maline then provided her with an email from Merritt in which he complained about her telling customers back in the United States that he was responsible for completing the projects they had on order while he was engaged in finishing the project he was involved with in Saudi Arabia, and that he had not been provided with the funding or materials needed to finish the projects they were inquiring about. After she read it, Blake said, “I don’t remember this email.”
Maline had her review a second email from Merritt sent from Saudi Arabia.
“I don’t remember seeing this,” Blake said.
“So you don’t recall these emails?” Maline said.
“No,” said Blake.
“There were some questions asked of you regarding the payment from Saudi Arabia,” said Maline, referencing Blake’s testimony in January. “Do you recall that?”
“Yes,” said Blake.
“And you indicated your understanding was Chase got the money,” said Maline. “I think you said it was like 16 or 17 thousand [dollars]?”
“Objection,” said Rodriguez. “Misstates testimony.”
“Overruled,” said Judge Smith. “She can answer if that is correct.”
“Is that what you testified to?” Maline asked.
“I don’t know what the exact amount was,” Blake said.

So Susan doesn't remember getting any of CMs emails supposedly when he was in SA?

Hmmm....

It's hard for me to believe the DT didnt try to squeeze in any photos of this SA waterfall.

Imo

What really staggers me about this case is we are expected to believe that in the context of a multi year murder trial buildup, Maline and McGee always had the proof available to them of Chase's travel to Saudi but couldn't see the importance of placing it in evidence ....

Maline: oh wait - here is Chase's passport stamped for Saudi!

McGee: that might corroborate our clients version!

Maline: nah, no biggie, the prosecution probably won't be bothered about Saudi

McGee: yeah right, why bother substantiating our clients version of events!
Reminds me of his alleged heart attack.

Prosecution was allowed to bring in the photo of him digging a massive hole because of his claims of dying through hard work.

Defense should have called his doctor to testify about his heart surgery, to reduce the impact of the prosecution's photo. Now it just looks like he was lying about it. They didn't even ask Cathy to substantiate his claims.

I thought I had read in the past families who has someone incarcerated in jail or prison can get monetary assistance from the government?

If so, I've often wondered if his family was getting money from the government, and double dipping by Joey also giving financial support to his family as well?

Imo

I think my point is being missed here. I am not saying that in every case a log would be made of why he called or anything like that, but I do 100% believe that if ANY bank employee was looking at ANY bank account that it would be logged by the bank's own system. Even if he was inquiring about a cheque on his own account, the employee would have had to have looked it up. I just do not imagine a bank not having this system, otherwise they could look at whoever's account whenever they wanted. JMO
Perhaps it would. No way to know unless we had someone here with firsthand knowledge of such. But if not, people are not perfect and could forget to log a note if required.

It may well depend on what line of support you have reached.

I've made calls where the first line person cannot even access my accounts.

Meanwhile I recently walked into my local branch in NZ and the person i was meeting had researched a call i made to them months beforehand.

Joe no doubt already knew all the details on the face of the cheque from his banking.

What he needed to do was see the cheque - perhaps he was inquiring about that process. But if he already guessed what had happened or even more likely Chase confirmed it, then he didn't necessarily need to report a forgery at this point

And I do not believe Joey would have wanted to report a fraud/forgery at that point. Doing so would have FROZEN his account. We all know what a nightmares that can be when they freeze it looking for theft. For a business that could be a total nightmare.

He had a history of trying to work with Chase, giving him the benefit of the doubt. But this would have angered him and I am sure he confronted Chase about the check. I dont know if he fired him, but he probably told him he wasn't going to pay him for any work until that money is paid up. JMO

Reminds me of his alleged heart attack.

Prosecution was allowed to bring in the photo of him digging a massive hole because of his claims of dying through hard work.

Defense should have called his doctor to testify about his heart surgery, to reduce the impact of the prosecution's photo. Now it just looks like he was lying about it. They didn't even ask Cathy to substantiate his claims.
What was that all about? Lost in the wind.

So where is the evidence?
And, as pointed out before, Melissa R. has lost credibility:

Prosecution does backtracking...

Where were they killed? Melissa in rebuttal: "Nobody has said to you they were murdered in the house. Nobody from the PT has stood up here and said to you, all four of those people were murdered in that house!"

^^ Well Daugherty did exactly that in the opening statement: @1:14

When were they buried? The 6th, because CM's phone pinged in the area on the 6th. Now: "Nobody has ever said that to you!"

Ironically Melissa R. cited Occam's Razor. Occam's Razor tells us the murders were committed by more than 1 person.

Last edited:
So where is the evidence?
And, as pointed out before, Melissa R. has lost credibility:

Ironically Melissa R. cited Occam's Razor. Occam's Razor tells us the murders were committed by more than 1 person.
I'm sorry, she lost credibility how? With whom? The defense? She'not losing sleep over that. The boys must be a bit ticked off that a woman attorney almost single handedly destroyed their defense. In a couple hours even. Poor Jimmy and Raj. But you know, they're going to be the next big stars with the new doc. Netflix's new heroes. Look out Zellner.

I'm sorry, she lost credibility how? With whom? The defense? She'not losing sleep over that. The boys must be a bit ticked off that a woman attorney almost single handedly destroyed their defense. In a couple hours even. Poor Jimmy and Raj. But you know, they're going to be the next big stars with the new doc. Netflix's new heroes. Look out Zellner.
Lest we forget, Jimmy wasn't feeling well for an entire month. Had the court on hold. Couldn't even guarantee he could swim once he got into the pool. And, the court was sympathetic. He mentioned he couldn't snap his fingers on his left hand due to an injury. Seriously. He actually said that. Then he doggy paddled for a bit and eventually ended up treading water. What a disservice to his buddy Maline. I did feel for him.

I thought I had read in the past families who has someone incarcerated in jail or prison can get monetary assistance from the government?

If so, I've often wondered if his family was getting money from the government, and double dipping by Joey also giving financial support to his family as well?

Imo
I wonder if CJ gambled with it to make the rent. o_O

What is the sign that she "destroyed" the defense? Just because the defense didn't get the chance for their rebuttal?

What this woman attorney has accomplished in her final rebuttal is to shrink her fellow prosecutor Mr. Daugherty into a Nobody: :D:D:D

Prosecution does backtracking...

Where were they killed? Melissa in rebuttal: "Nobody has said to you they were murdered in the house. Nobody from the PT has stood up here and said to you, all four of those people were murdered in that house!"

^^ Well Daugherty did exactly that in the opening statement: @1:14

When were they buried? The 6th, because CM's phone pinged in the area on the 6th. Now: "Nobody has ever said that to you!"

Conclusion:
Sean Daugherty = Nobody

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors