Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
MR was really connected with them. She was in her zone and the way she carried herself, things she said, seemed to indicate they were very receptive. She had them. She was outstanding. The only thing missing was the mic drop.
Even when the DT would object she never skipped a beat. It was really fun to watch her in action.

Today I don't care to argue trial tactics or evidence.
I am just crushingly sad. :(

Lil' Joey - Summer's little mini me.
Gianni - Joey's little mini me.

Lil' Joey only got to be 3 for a few days.
He never got to have his birthday party.

Gianni would have been 5 that year.
That's a big birthday for a little guy.
Plus when you are a July baby you get fireworks for your birthday too.
He never even got to turn 5.

I have a 3 year old, he'll be 4 in July. Very cool dude with long hair, only wavy not curly. It gives me nightmares to think about what Summer may have gone through trying to protect her baby boys.

No matter what the verdict is, nothing can ever bring this family back. That's the horrible reality of this case. We will never know what they may have done with their lives and how they might have changed the world. :(

125hs1i.jpg

25s4y39.jpg

2z7ekc6.jpg

1r2oth.jpg

34xgsb5.jpg

KPBS San Diego Public Radio & TV: News, Arts & Culture

PEOPLE.com | Celebrity News, Exclusives, Photos, and Videos

Joseph Mateo Martelli “Joey” McStay (1969-2010) -...

I want you to know Ms.F when I looked at this post I broke down again, and cried more tears for all four.

Thank you for reminding us all what this case is truly about, and about all the many precious lives that were so brutally taken from them all.

I know I will never forget these images. Such a cute happy free spirited family. Joey Jr. and little Gs beautiful happy faces are almost too painful for me to look at now knowing how they both suffered so much when they were killed. I have precious little grandsons their ages myself, and this case has ripped my heart out.

I can't begin to even imagine how much emotional pain Summer, and Joey must have endured knowing they both were totally helpless to stop CM. IMO, The emotional trauma was far more painful than what CM inflicted on them ending their lives.

Joey had to feel such inner pain, and agony before he finally took his last breath of life. Maybe that is when Summer, and Joey finally found peace. Sometimes its the living through something is the hardest, and is far more difficult to do... than when death finally comes itself.

Joey, like so many other outstanding loving daddies know they are to be the protector of their families at all times. Joey's feelings of such helplessness, hopelessness, and total despair we will never be able to fully understand or begin to even comprehend.

May justice come forth now for them all.

IMO

Last edited:
Even when the DT would object she never skipped a beat. It was really fun to watch her in action.

Yes, she did, Cabo.

She remained calm waiting for the judge to make his ruling, and then she proceeded as if no objection had ever been made. She was absolutely outstanding.... not only in how she presented the CE facts in her closing, but her demeanor throughout was exceptional. I could feel she was genuine, and truly cared about the justice she seeks for the McStay family of four.

Most likely its been hard on everyone who have investigated this case, and the prosecutors who are seeking justice. They may have children of their own around the two boys ages or have young grandchildren as well.

I have seen countless ID true crime stories, and even though the cases may have happened years ago the detectives still cry when the victims were children.

Like Lt. Kenda has said many times.......... all of the child homicide victims will be with him for the rest of his life. They never go away or leave him.

IMO

OT: I'm baaack!

It has been the longest days being completely cutoff from posting with all of you. I want to give a big shout out of deepest appreciation to Tricia, and her dedicated staff/Mods for working tirelessly in order to fix the glitch, I've had making me unable to post! Also I want to thank so many of you who have tried to help me in every way you possibly could as well. You all know who you are! Hugs to you all.

Now!

Since I could read all of your post thank goodness, I admit I was surprised when I read your post about MR!

I watched every minute of her closing argument. I was riveted the entire time how well she dismantled the DTs blah, blah, blahs. It didn't take her long to unwind or unpack it all either. I was glued to every single word she told the jury. Imo, she came across as forthright, honest, and very trustworthy.

Imo, she handled it very well by reminding the jurors this case isn't about the lawyers. It totally showed how trite, and immature the DTs behavior was during their closing where many times they made it more about THEMSELVES than the murder trial itself. There was no reason for Melissa to discuss it any further. The jurors knew exactly what she was saying.

I wasn't there in the courtroom of course, but I have watched more trial closings by prosecutors, and defense attorneys than I can even begin to remember now. I have no reason to think MR didn't have the full attention of all of the jurors.

Imo, she came across very well, and totally prepared. She presented it all in a succinct fashion... easy for all of the jurors to understand as she laid out all the true CE facts in the case one by one.

I believe MR has a very bright future as a prosecutor. She has the ability to connect, and show who the case is really about.

IMHO
I wholeheartedly agree.

At times you could have heard a pin drop, which is highly unusual for that courtroom. And so funny how after one of McGee's objections she made a comment like 'we can expect more of those'.

IMO

I too wanted to cry all over again after reading the post by @MsFacetious. It’s sad to consider “what could have been”. This is where I question everything I thought I believed in. Not just this case...others, as well as family member’s deaths and family members struggling. The struggle for some is unfathomable. This is one such case.

Just some random thoughts as we watch and wait.

OT: I'm baaack!

It has been the longest days being completely cutoff from posting with all of you. I want to give a big shout out of deepest appreciation to Tricia, and her dedicated staff/Mods for working tirelessly in order to fix the glitch, I've had making me unable to post! Also I want to thank so many of you who have tried to help me in every way you possibly could as well. You all know who you are! Hugs to you all.

Now!

Since I could read all of your post thank goodness, I admit I was surprised when I read your post about MR!

I watched every minute of her closing argument. I was riveted the entire time how well she dismantled the DTs blah, blah, blahs. It didn't take her long to unwind or unpack it all either. I was glued to every single word she told the jury. Imo, she came across as forthright, honest, and very trustworthy.

Imo, she handled it very well by reminding the jurors this case isn't about the lawyers. It totally showed how trite, and immature the DTs behavior was during their closing where many times they made it more about THEMSELVES than the murder trial itself. There was no reason for Melissa to discuss it any further. The jurors knew exactly what she was saying.

I wasn't there in the courtroom of course, but I have watched more trial closings by prosecutors, and defense attorneys than I can even begin to remember now. I have no reason to think MR didn't have the full attention of all of the jurors.

Imo, she came across very well, and totally prepared. She presented it all in a succinct fashion... easy for all of the jurors to understand as she laid out all the true CE facts in the case one by one.

I believe MR has a very bright future as a prosecutor. She has the ability to connect, and show who the case is really about.

IMHO

So relieved you think this. I didn't watch all of it, so I'm sure your take and others here is more accurate. I have to say, it's likely I have some......wait for it...... confirmation bias! No kidding.

I tend to always doubt my own opinion, and to critique something like Melissa's closing argument very harshly, confirming my doubtfulness. This tendency of mine hasn't shown up much in this thread simply because I've always thought the State's case to be very strong. Every time I start doubting evidence, I then go back to analyze it more but almost always come away with the same opinion.

I really believe she is great, but that's coming from a person who has Juan Martinez prosecuting the worst of the worst here in Arizona. He's definitely an "acquired taste" for many who first watch him in trial, but for me it was that runner who ended up in the DA's office.
Maybe she didn't appeal to some because she is a woman? Gender bias has reared it's ugly head once again in our society.
I totally agree with you, Force10.

Bernina, my initial criticism didn't have anything to do with her being a woman (not sure you were even directing this at me!) I have to say, I've seen some excellent women prosecutors!

Bernina, my initial criticism didn't have anything to do with her being a woman (not sure you were even directing this at me!) I have to say, I've seen some excellent women prosecutors!
Cabo mentioned most jurors seemed to be in their 40's with one older woman who may be retired.
With alternates now on board I am wondering what the gender balance is?
Seemed there were more women than men in the first round.
Anyone?

Hey Everyone,
Just spoke with Patrick McStay. He is thrilled with the closing argument the prosecution put on yesterday. Also, Mr. McStay has offered to come on the Websleuths Podcast when it's all over.

Carry on my friends and thank you for being a part of Websleuths.

Hey Everyone,
Just spoke with Patrick McStay. He is thrilled with the closing argument the prosecution put on yesterday. Also, Mr. McStay has offered to come on the Websleuths Podcast when it's all over.

That will be a great podcast. I'm looking forward to hearing his thoughts at the end of this long journey.

Hey Everyone,

I just hope that he gets justice for his family as he deserves to. I can not even begin to understand what he has lost and I hope it doesn’t drag on for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52