Found Deceased CO - Amy Ahonen, 38, Golden, 8 July 2011

Update:

Amy's family has been in contact with, among others, Texas Equusearch. We heard today that Texas Equusearch have agreed to help find Amy. I don't know when searching will resume, but will update when I have more info.

Thank you, Ophelia, for the update on Texas Equusearch. I feel this would be a great step in the right direction, in terms of progressing the search for Amy.

Leaving her keys in the car, yet placing things under the seat...
I'm running that through my mind, why did she do that.... I can see leaving my keys in the car if I'm getting out to help someone, etc... but stopping that quickly I would not have time to hide things, and what would be the point - if the person I'm helping is going to rob me, they would go through my car...

So placing things under the seat is something I would as part of a plan involving my leaving the car.
But if that's my plan, then I would lock my car and take the keys - what would stop me from taking my keys, I wouldn't go out to a place like that if I couldn't take my keys with me... and Amy was said to be the type to lock doors...
Was her leaving her keys meant to be a message to us?

I'm running that through my mind, why did she do that.... I can see leaving my keys in the car if I'm getting out to help someone, etc... but stopping that quickly I would not have time to hide things, and what would be the point - if the person I'm helping is going to rob me, they would go through my car...

So placing things under the seat is something I would as part of a plan involving my leaving the car.
But if that's my plan, then I would lock my car and take the keys - what would stop me from taking my keys, I wouldn't go out to a place like that if I couldn't take my keys with me... and Amy was said to be the type to lock doors...
I did some searching for other cases where a woman went missing and her car was found in a remote location, unlocked with the keys in it.

Khuteja Banoo Imam 2006 - Her unlocked car was found at a marina on Lake Tahoe with her keys and purse in it. Her body was later found in the Lake, although a ways from the marina. No report of LE ever thinking it was a homicide.

Angel Leverenz 2011 - the 18 year old's car was found unlocked with her keys and ID in it in a secluded area in the woods. Sadly her body was later found. She had been injured in a fall from a great height and died of hypothermia.

Victoria Landers 2008 - Her car was found next to a wooded area with keys inside and purse on the seat. Her body was found in the nearby lake and authorities had no reason to suspect foul play.

Beverly Spano 2009 - Her car was also found at a marina unlocked with her keys and purse inside. Her body was also sadly found in a river and authorities do not believe foul play was involved.

These are the instances I could find of a woman whose car was found unlocked with keys and another important item inside and none of them seem to involve foul play. Now I'm not saying that Amy is definitely like these cases, it's a small sample and every case is distinct. We also know that LE's implication of suicide isn't always the last word. Kelly Catalano was found in a river in Virginia and ruled a suicide but her family is sure something else happened and has spent a lot of energy trying to get authorities to re-open the case, unfortunately with no luck.

I do think there is the possibility that Amy was abducted by the river and for some reason the perp put the keys on her dash or even that whatever happened to her happened in Denver. That the perp knew she liked to go to Clear Creek Canyon so he left her car there as a diversion. As I've said before, I think if she were in the river that evidence would be found, but maybe there are hidden places a body could wind up.

Obviously my hope, like everyone here, is that she did choose to leave on her own free will. Tiffani Tehan left the keys in her locked car when she chose to leave her old life behind.

I went through the same scenarios in my mind. I never considered whether the keys were meant to be a message. I'm sure it's possible.

Having said that, I'm afraid my tunnel vision is firmly intact. It seems to me that if someone wants to make it look as if the person left of their own free will, they would make sure all of these items were in the jeep. I think the keys were put back into the vehicle by someone.

Since I don't watch any of the crime shows, my next question is: if her keys were soaked with bleach, could fingerprints still be lifted from them? I know bleach was used with LT, and seems to have also been used along with yellow rubber gloves the morning after Kenia disappeared.

I went through the same scenarios in my mind. I never considered whether the keys were meant to be a message. I'm sure it's possible.

Having said that, I'm afraid my tunnel vision is firmly intact. It seems to me that if someone wants to make it look as if the person left of their own free will, they would make sure all of these items were in the jeep. I think the keys were put back into the vehicle by someone.

Since I don't watch any of the crime shows, my next question is: if her keys were soaked with bleach, could fingerprints still be lifted from them? I know bleach was used with LT, and seems to have also been used along with yellow rubber gloves the morning after Kenia disappeared.

Something handled allot like keys seem tricky to get a good print off of even if nothing is done to them... I'm not an expert, but considering that just wiping something with a cloth will remove prints, I would think bleach would dissolve the skin oil that forms the print, and then odds are something would be used to rinse off the bleach or wipe the keys dry.

Bumping. On the Find Amy Ahonen FB page, there is no news. There is a continued effort to get national/local continuing press coverage. Texas Equusearch is still involved, though I didn't see any information on the when/where. They are very grateful for the help of Equusearch, but it is frustrating that Amy has fallen off the media radar.

This is sadly an extremely low-profile case, for want of better description. No press conferences, no new news reports... Got to hope LE is working on it behind the scenes....

I guess I was thinking someone might have done something to Amy and then drove her car to the location it was found....they wouldn't care about leaving the keys in the vehicle. And maybe the unknown subject placed Amy's items under the seat to keep them out of view...in case he was stopped by a police officer or something.
I really don't know...just thinking aloud.

http://www.facebook.com/helpfindamy#!/event.php?eid=194985160562151

Location Local 1299 USWA
11424 W. Jefferson
River Rouge, MI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Created By Andrea Ahonen, Annette Ahonen, Nikki Malec Jerome

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Info Pre-event Tickets at Southgate Outback or at the door on the day of the event for a Donation of $12 each or 2 for $20. BBQ meal (burgers & chicken) with DJ entertainment & raffles/prizes. Cash bar with beer and margaritas!!

Our beloved friend and family member Amy Ahonen went missing under mysterious circumstances on July 8, 2011, off Highway 6 just west of Golden, Colorado. Although Amy had been living in Colorado for the past several years, Amy is a downriver Michigan native. She grew up in Taylor, MI and is a 1991 John F. Kennedy High School graduate and a graduate of Eastern Michigan University. Amy's family still resides in the Southeastern Michigan area.

Something bugs me - "It's of concern to us that her purse, her phone, and her keys were left in her car, and the door was left unlocked." (going back to the article:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28505446/detail.html

"The trooper ran a background check on the license plate and found nothing unusual."
If it were during the day, I would agree, but at night?

Wouldn't LE have checked to see if the car was open considering it was found at night, apparently abandoned? Wouldn't her keys and other items be seen?

Going back to the first post on this thread.... where did that info come from about her requesting help? What if she did, and was taken at that point....

http://www.findamy.org/

Family and friends have not stopped their efforts to located Ahonen, missing since July 8, 2011. A group will be meeting on Tuesday, August 16 at 6:30 pm at Epiphany Lutheran church to outline future steps for the community and their efforts to find Amy Ahonen.

Local psychic uses sixth sense to help solve crime

Traverse City Psychic Tammy Schuster will head out west on Thursday to help investigators find Amy Ahonen, a missing 38 year-old woman who was last seen on July 8th and whose car was found abandoned along a Colorado highway.

She says she's had visions of Amy's where-abouts in the past month of working with Amy's family, and hopes to put investigators on the right track.

http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=651865

There have been many people who have left their keys in the car, even the car running and disappeared (in addition to those mentioned.)
Sarah Townsend, (ruled suicide)
Krista Dittmeyer, (murder)

The difference I see with Amy is that she was raised in the city. It was ingrained in her head that you lock your doors.
If anyone ever finds my vehicle unlocked with ALL of my keys in it, in a public place?? That right there is reason to call the cops.
It will not happen, period. It's right up there with finding my kids home alone or not hearing from me for 24 hours.
It would be completely out of character for me and it sounds like it would be for Amy as well.

Update:

Amy's family has been in contact with, among others, Texas Equusearch. We heard today that Texas Equusearch have agreed to help find Amy. I don't know when searching will resume, but will update when I have more info.

Also--some of you have mentioned contacting national outlets like Nancy Grace, etc. Amy's family and close friends have been repeatedly contacting pretty much everyone they can find on a national level who deals with missing persons. They're not getting very far, but I believe they have had a few responses. (Nothing from Nancy Grace) --We haven't heard of anything coming of it, however. I'm sure they will continue trying.

If they get desperate about getting a response from Nancy... tell them to emphasize Travis Forbes being in the area at the time.

The fact that he was with Kenia before she vanished
Then attacked and tried to kill another woman
Then Amy went missing
Then he was arrested for that attempted murder a few days earlier.

I hate to help her sensationalize... but she might jump on it if she had the entire story put together for her...

Wonder if a billboard or sign as near as possible to where Amy when missing could be put up asking if anyone saw anything there the day she went missing..
Perhaps someone who drives pass on a regular basis may have seen something and doesn't realize it...

Amy's disappearance has really fallen off the map, no news in quite a while. Her relative on the Find Amy Facebook page says Texasequusearch has been searching for her but no real details about that on the FB page or on the Texasequusearch website. It's obviously no fault of the family, but not having any relatives in the Denver area (and Amy not having lived in Denver for long) is surely playing a big factor in the lack of media coverage. Really sad reading the heartfelt posts on the FB page by friends and relatives missing Amy. I hope they get answers soon.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back