GUILTY CO - Amy Garcia, 41, shot & burned by man and 12 y.o. son, Huerfano Co, Dec 2018 *Arrests*

Ah - okay @Seattle1 - thanks for the explanation. I will check on that later than.

Thursday, April 8th:
*Status Conference Hearing for both (re murder) (@ 11am MT) – CO – Amy Garcia (41) (Dec. 20, 2018, Walsenburg, Huerfano County; gf of Heith) – *Gage Gleason (12/now 14) arrested (12/21/18 in Santa Fe, NM) & charged (12/20/18) with 1st degree murder. Extradited out of New Mexico (1/1/19).
Murder trial set to begin on 7/22/21 (thru 8/6/21); Trial re wrongful death suit was set to begin on 4/14/21 but was cancelled.
Court hearings from 12/31/18 thru 8/25/20 reference post #122 here:
CO - Amy Garcia, 41, shot & burned by man and 12 y.o. son, Huerfano Co, Dec 2018 *Arrests*
9/1/20 Update: Murder: Rescheduled to 9/29/20. 9/16/20 Update: Wrongful death suit next status hearing on 10/21/20. 9/29/20 Update: Murder: Review hearing rescheduled to 11/3/20.

10/21/20 Update: Wrongful Death suit: Next Pretrial readiness conference on 3/10/21 & trial set to begin on 4/14 thru 4/16/21.
11/3/20 Update: Murder: Next hearing on bond on 11/23/20. 11/23/20 Update: Hearing on bond was cancelled, next bond hearing on 12/1/20. 12/1/20 Update: Murder: Next status conference on 1/19/21 @ 10am. 1/15/21 Update: Status hearing on 1/19 has been rescheduled to 2/16/21.
2/16/21 Update: Murder: Trial date has been set from 7/22/21 thru 8/6/21. Next status conference hearing on 4/8/21.
3/5/21 Update: Wrongful Death suit: Pretrial readiness conference hearing on 3/10/21 has been cancelled. Next Setting hearing on 3/17/21. Trial set to begin on 4/14/21. 3/17/21 Update: Next pretrial readiness conference hearing on 3/31/21. Wrongful death suit no longer on court site.

*Kasey Gleason () – charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Murder: Status conference hearing on 4/8/21 & trial set to begin on 7/22/21.
*Heith Gleason (35) – 6/18/19: Murder: Plead guilty was sentenced to 42 years in prison. 1/19/21 Update: Wrongful Death suit: Trial was set to begin on 4/14/21, but was cancelled.

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
6/29/21
9:00 AM 1D IN PERSON GLEASON, GAGE Motions Hearing D282018JD26 Huerfano County DIV D

6/29/21
9:00 AM 1D IN PERSON GLEASON, KASEY Motions Hearing D282018JD26 Huerfano County DIV D

7/22/21
8:00 AM 1D GLEASON, KASEY Jury Trial D282018JD26 Huerfano County DIV D

7/22/21
8:00 AM 1D GLEASON, GAGE Jury Trial D282018JD26 Huerfano County DIV D

thru 8/6/21...

link: Seventh Judicial District » Docket Search

Gage must have taken some kind of plea deal. I just looked up his case on the court site to see if his pretrial hearing on Tuesday, 6/29 was still on and came up a sentencing hearing.

8/5/21
9:00 AM 3Hr IN PERSON GLEASON, GAGE Sentencing Hearing D282018JD26 Huerfano County DIV D

Anyone local or in the U.S. find something on this? I'm just getting 2019 articles. TIA!

Gage must have taken some kind of plea deal. I just looked up his case on the court site to see if his pretrial hearing on Tuesday, 6/29 was still on and came up a sentencing hearing.

8/5/21
9:00 AM 3Hr IN PERSON GLEASON, GAGE Sentencing Hearing D282018JD26 Huerfano County DIV D

Anyone local or in the U.S. find something on this? I'm just getting 2019 articles. TIA!
Oh no! This both worries and frightens me.... :eek:

In WA, state the law prevents convicted minors from serving life sentences. I recall a similar bill recently passed in Colorado that provides Juveniles who are convicted as adults in district court - eligibility for specialized program placement.

Hope local media reports on this case very soon.

https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2021A/bills/2021a_124_rer.pdf

@Seattle1 - hopefully he'll be doing a long time jail sentence, but I doubt it since he is only 14 now.... probably out at 18 with some kind of probation period. :(
At least the father is doing 42 years!

Thursday, August 5th:
*Sentencing Hearing for both (re murder for Gage) (@ 9am MT) – CO – Amy Garcia (41) (Dec. 20, 2018, Walsenburg, Huerfano County; gf of Heith) – *Gage Gleason (12/now 14) arrested (12/21/18 in Santa Fe, NM) & charged (12/20/18) with 1st degree murder. Extradited out of New Mexico (1/1/19).
Murder was trial set to begin on 7/22/21 (thru 8/6/21) was cancelled due to plea deal; Trial re wrongful death suit was set to begin on 4/14/21 but was cancelled.
Court hearings from 12/31/18 thru 1/15/21 reference post #162 here:
CO - Amy Garcia, 41, shot & burned by man and 12 y.o. son, Huerfano Co, Dec 2018 *Arrests*

2/16/21 Update: Murder: Trial date has been set from 7/22/21 thru 8/6/21. Next status conference hearing on 4/8/21.
3/5/21 Update: Wrongful Death suit: Pretrial readiness conference hearing on 3/10/21 has been cancelled. Next Setting hearing on 3/17/21. Trial set to begin on 4/14/21. 3/17/21 Update: Next pretrial readiness conference hearing on 3/31/21. Wrongful death suit no longer on court site.
4/8/21 Update: Murder: Next motions hearing on 6/29/21. 6/24/21 Update: Plea deal reached (no details), sentencing hearing on 8/5/21 @ 9am.

*Kasey Gleason () – charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
2/16/21: Status conference hearing on 4/8/21 & trial set to begin on 7/22/21. 4/8/21 Update: Next motions hearing on 6/29/21. 6/24/21 Update: Plea deal reached (no details), sentencing hearing on 8/5/21 @ 9am.
*Heith Gleason (35) – 6/18/19: Murder: Plead guilty was sentenced to 42 years in prison. 1/19/21 Update: Wrongful Death suit: Trial was set to begin on 4/14/21, but was cancelled.

Anyone local or in the U.S. - I'm not coming up with any recent articles to "see" what the sentencing was for Gage or his mother.

TIA if someone finds something! :)

edited to add: He no longer appears in the court site - that does mean he was sentenced.

Finally an article came up with Gage's sentencing.

Gage Gleason sentenced to 5 years in CDOYC, parole until 21 years of age in murder of Amy Garcia – The World Journal

August 12, 2021
WALSENBURG — Gage Gleason, who was 12-years-old at the time he shot Amy Garcia at a residence near Silver Mountain in Huerfano County in the last week of 2018, was sentenced to five years in the Colorado Department of Youth Corrections during a sentencing hearing in district court last week.

The youthful offender’s sentence will include a parole period as well that was described as one that will offer therapy to the young teen. He was credited with the 959 days, or 2.6 years, he’s already spent in confinement. This makes his total time in corrections close to 8 years.

After deliberation on June 14, 2021, Gage Gleason had pled guity to murder in the second degree, an F2 felony.

By law the state must release him from any confinement or parole when he turns 21.

Finally an article came up with Gage's sentencing.

Gage Gleason sentenced to 5 years in CDOYC, parole until 21 years of age in murder of Amy Garcia – The World Journal

August 12, 2021
WALSENBURG — Gage Gleason, who was 12-years-old at the time he shot Amy Garcia at a residence near Silver Mountain in Huerfano County in the last week of 2018, was sentenced to five years in the Colorado Department of Youth Corrections during a sentencing hearing in district court last week.

The youthful offender’s sentence will include a parole period as well that was described as one that will offer therapy to the young teen. He was credited with the 959 days, or 2.6 years, he’s already spent in confinement. This makes his total time in corrections close to 8 years.

After deliberation on June 14, 2021, Gage Gleason had pled guity to murder in the second degree, an F2 felony.

By law the state must release him from any confinement or parole when he turns 21.
^^bbm

OK, I'm a bit confused. If he's sentenced to 5 years and receives 2.6 years credit for time already served, does this mean that this juvenile will be released in about 2.5 years from today-- when he's about age 17?

He murdered a good woman regardless if it was for praise from his dad!
He wasn't ordered to pick up the gun and go outside and shoot the victim. I understood he did that on his own. I think he should remain in custody until he's age 21 even if that means 8 years!

MOO

ETA: See more below. This kid should not ever be released. He will reoffend.

Last edited:

Aug 12, 2021

[..]

At the time of his sentencing, Heith Gleason apologized to his dead victim and her family and to his son, Gage, who he said at the time “had nothing to do with the killing.”

The state did not believe that and built a case based in part on earwitness testimony that said the younger Gleason was the first person to exit the mobile home and confront Garcia who was in her car attempting to leave the property. The earwitness, who was at the scene during the killing and the immediate aftermath of the crime said he heard a gunshot after the boy left the residence. It was the earwitness who notified authorities of the shooting and burning of the victim inside her car. He told investigators Heath Gleason exited the modular home after his son, and was also armed with a rifle, and the witness heard a number of additional gunshots.

During the sentencing hearing, Adriana Garcia, the daughter of Amy Garcia, and Judy Garcia Navarro, the mother of Amy Garcia, read statements into the record of the court.

Adriana Garcia, in her statement wrote that “My mom was not just a case number. She is not someone who deserved what happened to her…A person that deserves justice. Someone who shouldn’t be forgotten about so simply.”

“My mother loved Gage. She worried about him often.”
Adriana Garcia addressed the issue of why her mother went out to Heith Gleason’s residence in December 2018. “My mother was going out there to get her vehicle and come home. She called my brothers moments before she was murdered to tell them she loved them, and she was sorry. She blamed herself for the heinous acts these guys were about to commit. She was brutally murdered, shot and burned…”

[..]

During the hearing, the defense argued that the real monster was Heith Gleason, Gage’s father. Gage’s mother called Heith a psychopath.

Heith had gone to Texas to his parents’ house where Gage was living and took his son with him, moving to Colorado. Following that move Amy Garcia was murdered.

“Gage and his father took her life without a care in the world. I do believe it is only fair they face the consequences of their actions

Yes, @Seattle1 - I believe he won't be released until he is 21 years old - and totally agree with you - he should be kept in prison for life.... just because he was 12 when this happened - he knew she would die if shot so many times....

I wonder what sentence his mother got. She had a sentencing hearing also - but couldn't find anything on her sentence.

Yes, @Seattle1 - I believe he won't be released until he is 21 years old - and totally agree with you - he should be kept in prison for life.... just because he was 12 when this happened - he knew she would die if shot so many times....

I wonder what sentence his mother got. She had a sentencing hearing also - but couldn't find anything on her sentence.

Perhaps she only faces civil charges after her son's guilty plea agreement (June 2021)? Also, it seems that dad may have had custody of Gage when he committed murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back