GUILTY CO - Bobbie Oberholtzer, 29, & Annette Schnee, 21, killed, Breckenridge, 3 July 1982 *arrest in 2021

And I shall keep posting this until we DO find more info. I shall go thru Friday.

Wednesday, Sept. 14th:
*Trial continues (Day 12) (@ 9am MT)- CO – Barbara “Bobbi” Jo Oberholtzer (29) & Annette Kay Schnee (21) (both last seen on Jan. 6, 1982; Oberholzter last seen about 7:59pm & found on Jan. 7, 1982 about 3pm, 300 ft. south of Hoosier Pass Summit about 20 ft. off Hiway CO 9 in a snow embankment; Schnee last seen Jan. 6, 1982 about 4:45pm at “The Drug Store” in Breckenridge & found July 3, 1982 in rural Park County 20 miles south of Breckenridge in Sacramento Creek south of Alma) - *Alan Lee Phillips (31 @ time of crime/71/now 72) arrested & charged (2/24/21) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder after deliberation, 2 counts of 1st degree kidnapping & 2 counts of 1st degree assault with a deadly weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
United Data Connect, new information was developed with genetic genealogy to identify the potential suspect in the case.
Trial began on 8/29/22 per article.

Court info from 3/3/21 thru 8/28/22 & Trial Days 1-10 (8/29-9/12/22) reference post #119 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ridge-3-july-1982-arrest-in-2021.67792/page-6

9/13/22 Tuesday, Trial Day 11: No info available. Trial continues on 9/14/22.

Thursday, Sept. 15th:
*Trial continues (Day 13) (@ 9am MT)- CO – Barbara “Bobbi” Jo Oberholtzer (29) & Annette Kay Schnee (21) (both last seen on Jan. 6, 1982; Oberholzter last seen about 7:59pm & found on Jan. 7, 1982 about 3pm, 300 ft. south of Hoosier Pass Summit about 20 ft. off Hiway CO 9 in a snow embankment; Schnee last seen Jan. 6, 1982 about 4:45pm at “The Drug Store” in Breckenridge & found July 3, 1982 in rural Park County 20 miles south of Breckenridge in Sacramento Creek south of Alma) - *Alan Lee Phillips (31 @ time of crime/71/now 72) arrested & charged (2/24/21) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder after deliberation, 2 counts of 1st degree kidnapping & 2 counts of 1st degree assault with a deadly weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
United Data Connect, new information was developed with genetic genealogy to identify the potential suspect in the case.
Trial began on 8/29/22 per article.

Court info from 3/3/21 thru 8/28/22 & Trial Days 1-10 (8/29-9/12/22) reference post #119 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ridge-3-july-1982-arrest-in-2021.67792/page-6

9/13/22 Tuesday, Trial Day 11: No info available. Trial continues on 9/14/22.
9/14/22 Wednesday, Trial Day 12: No info available. Trial continues on 9/15/22.

It reads like the reporting is done via court records. Nothing else new in the article.
_________

A Park County jury has found a man accused of killing two young women last seen hitchhiking near Breckenridge 40 years ago guilty of first-degree murder.

Alan Lee Phillips, 71, was arrested last year for the January 1982 shooting deaths of Annette Schnee, 21, and Barbara Oberholtzer, 29.

In addition to the murder charges, court records show Phillips was found guilty of kidnapping.

He faces life in prison when he's sentenced on Nov. 7.

"Phillips was found guilty on two counts of first-degree murder after deliberation, two counts of felony robbery and four counts of kidnapping. His trial started Aug. 29 with jury selection. The jury began deliberations at about noon Thursday and returned with a verdict just before 5 p.m., according to a Colorado Judicial Department spokesman."

Terrific news! Glad the families finally got some justice after all of these years.
So awful, though. Two lives taken, dying alone, in pain, at the hands of a monster. I think we’ve become somewhat inured to it, as it seems commonplace these days.

Why? Why was it necessary to wreak such violence on two women just going about their lives? And why does he get to go on with his life, even if confined, while the ones he took are gone from this earth. For good. Their families bereft of their love and companionship, their grandchildren.

Sorry for the philosophical musings. I just find the “justice” meted out here to be rather lacking. Not much more than a perfunctory article at the close of the trial. No highlighting of who these two women were. No real notice from the world of the horrific wrong done them. And Alan Phillips has lived his life fully, being imprisoned only toward the end of life.

No justice!

Yes I agree with those of you who found the lack of coverage of the trial to be frustrating. Now that it’s over I submitted a request to the Park County clerk of court for some of the legal documents and was denied - the case is basically sealed. I’m hoping to talk to a consultant who attended the trial and get the inside info.

Gray Hughes revealed on his live stream tonight that Alan Phillips physically assaulted a hitchhiker on the night of July 2, 1973. Phillips, who was living in Fairplay at the time, picked up the victim in Breckenridge and took her to a cabin near Fairplay. He beat her with his hands and a rock. Eventually he dropped her off at the intersection of Colorado State Highway 9 and US Highway 285. The location and circumstances are very similar to the murders of Annette and Bobbie Jo almost nine years later. I think it is likely that he has other victims.

Gray Hughes revealed on his live stream tonight that Alan Phillips physically assaulted a hitchhiker on the night of July 2, 1973. Phillips, who was living in Fairplay at the time, picked up the victim in Breckenridge and took her to a cabin near Fairplay. He beat her with his hands and a rock. Eventually he dropped her off at the intersection of Colorado State Highway 9 and US Highway 285. The location and circumstances are very similar to the murders of Annette and Bobbie Jo almost nine years later. I think it is likely that he has other victims.

100% agree. I'll be addressing this case next week, hot off the presses.

Monday, November 7th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 9am MT)- CO – Barbara “Bobbie” Jo Oberholtzer (29) & Annette Kay Schnee (21) (both last seen on Jan. 6, 1982; Oberholtzer last seen about 7:59pm & found on Jan. 7, 1982 about 3pm, 300 ft. south of Hoosier Pass Summit about 20 ft. off Hiway COl 9 in a snow embankment; Schnee last seen Jan. 6, 1982 about 4:45pm at “The Drug Store” in Breckenridge & found July 3, 1982 in rural Park County 20 miles south of Breckenridge in Sacramento Creek south of Alma) - *Alan Lee Phillips (31 @ time of crime/70/now 71) arrested & charged (2/24/21) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder after deliberation, 2 counts of 1st degree kidnapping & 2 counts of 1st degree assault with a deadly weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial began on 8/29/22 per article & ended on 9/15/22 with a guilty verdict.

Court info from 3/3/21 thru 8/28/22 & Trial Days 1-12 (8/29-9/14/22) reference post #123 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ridge-3-july-1982-arrest-in-2021.67792/page-7

9/15/22 Thursday, Trial Day 13: Phillips was found guilty on 2 counts of 1st degree murder after deliberation, 2 counts of felony robbery & 4 counts of kidnapping. His trial started Aug. 29, 2022 with jury selection. The jury began deliberations at about noon Thursday & returned with a verdict just before 5pm. Sentencing hearing on 11/7/22.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back