CO CO - Christopher Abeyta, 7 mos, Colorado Springs, 15 July 1986

your right sadie it is sad:sick: however i have a feeling it's a family member abduction or if not a family member someone who has been watching them for a long time and knows alot about his family and their house structure etc

In the first post it says that the garage door opener was missing. I wonder where it was kept and how long it was missing-did it go missing right when it happened or had it been missing for awhile. Most people I know keep them in their car or purse so they can have easy access to it.

Opening a garage door makes a lot of noise though-I can't imagine that someone would use the garage door opener to try to sneak in-I think it would wake someone up.

I suppose if someone was watching the family they could have stolen it with the intentions of using it when they kidnapped Christopher but then changed their mind and came in through the basement window. Or maybe they took it to make it look like that was how they got in and throw off the investigation.

I'm mostly thinking out loud here I guess-I just can't riddle out the garage door openers place in this and why someone would take it.

actually their front (or back) door was left unlocked that night and the police think that's how the perpertrator came into the house because there was no evidence of forced entry at all :twocents: and since the family left in unlocked the police became suspicious of them because that was totally out of character for them :confused:

I'm confused as to where you got this information about the family's door being unlocked and this being out of character for them.

What I read on the Charley Project & the Doe Network said that the basement window was left open. I don't know whether this was unusual or not. They may not have used their basement often, so the window could have been open for days.

I don't know first-hand how often a garage door opener is used, but it seems like if it was missing, you would notice it pretty quickly. Is it possible they had two garage door openers and that's why they didn't notice? It could have just gotten lost and they didn't notice it was gone till after Christopher was kidnapped. I don't know for sure that it's connected, but the basement window is definitely suspicious.

I don't know-- it is puzzling. I think the police should question everyone who was in that house since Christopher was born, period.

"The Abeytas said they had left the front door unlocked that night, but police stated that this was uncharacteristic of them"

this directly comes from the charley project site for christopher :dance:

"Both parents admitted that the baby, who was much younger than his five older siblings, was not planned and initially not wanted. There were no signs of forced entry to the house. The Abeytas said they had left the front door unlocked that night, but police stated that this was uncharacteristic of them. Police also stated that, due to the placement of Abeyta's crib at the far end of a very cluttered room, only a person very familiar with the room could have crossed it in the dark without tripping over things and making noise. Abeyta's parents are therefore not being ruled out as suspects in his disappearance"

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/abeyta_christopher.html

Khavna said:
"The Abeytas said they had left the front door unlocked that night, but police stated that this was uncharacteristic of them"

How would the police know their habits re safety, did they tell them this?

the abeyta's said that they left the door accidentily unlocked, maybe they said they rountinely lock it every night

I'm sorry, but this story is getting more and more suspicious. The family uncharacteristically leaves the front door open one night, and it just happens to be the night that someone breaks in, makes their way silently through the house, goes into the one room with the baby in it, makes their way around TONS of junk to find a baby hidden in the back, picks up the baby without a sound, and someone tracks back all the way through the house without anyone noticing. Uh huh.

bykerladi said:
I'm sorry, but this story is getting more and more suspicious. The family uncharacteristically leaves the front door open one night, and it just happens to be the night that someone breaks in, makes their way silently through the house, goes into the one room with the baby in it, makes their way around TONS of junk to find a baby hidden in the back, picks up the baby without a sound, and someone tracks back all the way through the house without anyone noticing. Uh huh.
yes i highely agree, the police still have the parents as a suspect. mind you the family has a website dedicated to his memory and are still looking for him. the police themselves stated that only a person who was very familiar with the layout of the room would be able to successfully take the child (because their was so much junk in the room)
having said this though i myself have accidentily left the front door keys in the door all night, and ususally i always check to make sure it is properly locked and the keys are not in the door (i've done this 4 times!) so i guess it is easy to forget exspecially when your busy.

the police know that there was no forced entry into the house at all, how would the abductor know that the door was unlocked??? :eek: to get inside the house and take christopher without anybody "knowing" :bang: makes me think that the parents know more than they let on :furious:

anthrobones said:
bumping up post
thanks anthrobones, my suspicions lye with the parents knowing something odd happened to him :furious:

Christopher's sister wrote me a few days ago. She maintains that her family was innocent of involvement in his disappearance and the police were suffering from tunnel vision and had a negligent and incompetent investigation. (Given that they have lost most of the evidence in this case, she may be right. http://www.koaa.com/news/view.asp?ID=5171 )

Christopher's sister says the family habitually left the front door unlocked and the room he was in was not cluttered at all, and she knows because she put him to bed herself on the night of his abduction. She also says he was not unwanted and his entire family adored him.

Thanks for the info meggily. I do not believe they are guilty. JMO

If the police suspect the family they probably know more case info than we do that points to the family and I certainly won't dipute their greater access to case facts or their greater experience with cases in general. Having said all that, I have the following insight to offer:

Many long years ago my young wife & I had some problems we needed to work out and so for a short time my young son & I moved in with my parents while we sorted things out (which troubles we later worked out nicely.) My parents lived in a mobile home back then which had the kind of lock on the back door that you lock by pushing and turning. Evidently one night we forgot to lock the door. In the rural area we lived in most people did not lock their doors anyway. One night my sister heard a noise and it was coming from my son's bedroom. She got up to investigate and found a teen neighbor kid standing in the room softly calling my sons name (my son was less than 5 yrs old then). Fortunately the teen was unarmed and she marched his backside down the hall & woke the rest of us and we called the cops and his parents.

It turned out the neighbor kid had some mental problems that he needed help with. Our story ended well but it could easily have been a tragedy. If my sister had not woke up and caught the guy then either we all could have been killed in our sleep or my son could have been kidnapped with no sign of forced entry into the house. If he had been kidnapped I am sure L.E. would have had to start their investigation and their suspicions with the family, just because I think that is where you always start, with those that are closest to the missing person and then you work outwards from there.

I am not saying the family is innocent but I am trying to show that odd things do sometimes happen so I try to keep an open mind even when I see that there are similarities in the story of these parents to others who have been guilty of wrongdoing.

The whole time I was growing up our door was not locked, we didn't even have a key to it that I know of. I was the youngest of 8 children and am sure that when my mother found out she was pregnant again I also was "unplanned and unwanted"
If the police were focused on the family only, they may very well have missed clues pointing elsewhere. A young baby taken away would have no idea he'd been stolen years later, he may have been told he was adopted. I do hope that where ever he went he was cared for and loved.
It very well could have been a case of someone knowing the family and thinking they already had enough children.
Going into a dark room, even if cluttered would not be impossible, bring along a flashlight and you should manage quite well or even have night vision goggles. If someone is determined it's surprising what you can do!

OB

I was looking on NCMEC about 6 months ago and came across Christophers case. As soon as I saw his age progression my heart skipped a beat and I immediately said, "That kid looks sooooo familiar". His picture looks very similar to a guy I took a few classes with in college. I looked everywhere for a picture of him, but was unsuccessful as I couldn't remember his last name until tonight. It just popped into my head. So I did a MySpace search and found him.

I put Christopher's age progressions up next to a few pictures of this guy, and to me they look similar. I don't know if it's just because I know the guy and have been thinking that they look alike for 6 months, or if they really do. Also, I don't know his family history or anything like that, so I'm going off of the pictures only. I'm not sure I want to post the comparison on here though. I would love to have all of your opinions, but I don't really feel that it would be appropriate, especially since I don't have his permission.

I would love some opinions on what I could do. I'm also wondering if it would be okay to share the image via email with those that are interested. Thanks in advance.

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/50898802.html

15 July 09

Experts have created a new composite showing what Christopher Abeyta might look like, 23 years after the 7-month-old disappeared from the family's home in Colorado Springs.

The composite was released by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. The Center is asking anyone who may have information about Abeyta, to call their toll-free national hotline, 1-800-THE-LOST.

Christopher disappeared from his parents' bedroom between 12:30 - 2:30 a.m. on July 15th, 1986.

Christopher Abeyta's mother has never stopped looking for him, even though she, at one time, was under police focus.

Bernice Abeyta says she's optimistic about this new composite, and about new leads generated recently. She says, "I want to do whatever it's going to take to get through to people to find Christopher."

[The new age progression, however, is not shown at the link!]

I went to elementary school with the younger daughters...and was a fairly frequent guest at their home. This was a close and loving family. They were always laughing and joking with each other...I never saw a cross word between any of them.

Their mother Bernice is probably the most serene woman I ever met. She could be in the middle of chaos (as having 6 children and all of their friends in the house can create) and was completely unfazed and nothing but warm and welcoming.

As far as their home being cluttered...I can honestly say that even with their 6 children, there wasn't a single time I was at their home that it wasn't clean and orderly...this includes many times that I just stopped by without notice...

I think items about this case have been sensationalized...at the very least, exaggerated...

My own aunt had 5 children...when her youngest was 20, my aunt became unexpectantly pregnant again...my mother laughed at her and said she was so glad it was her and not my mom that had to do it all over again...And I know without a doubt that my mother loved us and my aunt loved my little cousin...

Kids are an enormous responsibility, so I totally see why the father thinking they were close to being done with that part of their lives, maybe wasn't pleasantly surprised to start over again...to take that to mean he didn't want their son or did something to cause him harm is a big, gigantic, humongous leap...one that really shouldn't have been taken...the fact that he answered honestly is an indication that he is an honest man...

To ask a grieving mother that has been on medication to deal with probably the worst situation a mother could ever be dealt, to take a lie detector test is just egregious...it shouldn't be a surprise that it would be inconclusive...the fact that she took it under those or any other circumstances should indicate that she was willing to do whatever it took to find her son...

As far as the door being left unlocked that night...first of all they lived in a smaller, very low crime community...also if you have 6 teenagers coming and going (school, work, friends, etc) is it really that hard to imagine how a door could go unlocked for the evening...

Now as far as a baby being taken in the middle of the night without a sound...who's to say there wasn't any sound? If you have 9 people living in a house, there is going to be noise...and if you want to get some sleep in a house with 9 people in it, you better get used to sleeping through noise and people walking around...And a baby so used to having so many different people holding him, may not wake up with just another person holding him...especially when he was full from a bottle feed at 12:30am.

I see two people that were just trying to answer all the questions they could (and answered all of the questions very honestly) so that the real investigation could take place...and focus on outside people.

Mr. & Mrs. Abeyta and their children have lived through the worst nightmare...they love their children, all 7 of them...I hope they find the answer and peace that is due to them.

7 month old baby taken from his crib from his Parents room in the middle of the night. Non family abduction. www.findchristopher.com
DOB: Nov 28, 1985Missing Date: Jul 15, 1986Age Now: 23Missing City: COLORADO SPRINGSMissing State : COMissing Country: United States

NCMEC
Doe Network

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea