Found Deceased CO - Dylan Nicholas Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 Nov 2012 *father arrested* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smith says marks were made with cutting, slicing action.
Bogan objections to question about how hard bone would be to cut, says a forensic anthropologist should speak to that.
Johnson gets witness to agree that a forensic anthropologist or pathologist from Colorado could answer it.
Lol

After you measure the mark, what did you do?

W:I complied a report

Did you use a microscope?

W:I took a photo with my microscope

What info did u learn?

W;They are small toolmarks, consistent with slicing

W: the grinding process shows in the bone, unlike a natural striation

'no microscopic marks of note observed'

3 conclusions possible w/a toolmark:
exclusion/identification or indecisive

'didnt have a tool to compare'
'it could not be determined if by tool or by environmental exposure'

'these marks could have been made by 2 separate tools'

tool= the hardest of 2 objects

D:did you look age the scrape marks above the brow also?

Yes, but could not make a definite conclusion , whether by tool or environmental exposure

So you could not determine if any of these marks came from tools, environment or animals?

CORRECT

Cross Exam:

P: your FBI lab is credentialed etc, with scientific sound measures, etc/ and you have worked on thousands of cases over the years, many w/firearms and brutal murders...

In that work, what you seek to do is compare spent casings with others for a match, correct?

W;Yes

P: which is why casings are often not left behind

yes, if I dont have the item I can't make the comparison

P: in this case, the FBI was contacted by La Plata, and you generated a report, and so we have spoken before...you were asked to identify injuries and see if they were tool marks...in this case you in fact saw tool marks in his skull, which is harder object cutting into human bone..

yes..

objection, out of his expertise/over ruled

P: you described a slicing or cutting action, by a tool,

yes

P: wildlife is out of your area of expertise, correct?

Yes

P;so for that you might look to a forensic pathologist, correct?

yes

I believe you said you'd have to have a tool to compare it to..

Correct

and you would have to cast a mold to do so..?

Correct, that is one way

redirect: counsel pointed out you are not an animal expert

Yes

P: but you have been a FBI analyst for many years and you take your testimony very seriously, correct?

and you said it was possibly a mark from an animal, correct?

Smith dismissed.No Jury questions. Judge tells Jury to take a break while he deals with computer problems. Having remote witnesses on WebEx was using all the bandwidth in the building.

I think the next witness is Kevin Torres ( not remote)

If I were a Juror I would base my opine of the dogs on what was presented in Court. Not because I am a dog lover. As it should be.
Of course. I am just saying that if they are confused by the experts testimony , that it is his opinion that HRD dogs are unreliable, then they can draw on their own experience to make their own mind up.

FYI-I was responding to RANCH's prior post. I'm popping in randomly today. I should have clarified.
Do you find the HRD dog evidence in this case reliable? Do the HRD alerts in MR's home and truck mean that a dead Dylan was in both places?

Oh, now she’s talking about them playing football…tackling of course

Yes, she has to say Dylan was slept on the couch…and watched Nickelodeon

Sorry, these jurors will believe Dylan’s mom before this woman!

So she tries to slip in that Dylan was independent, 'we never gave him rides' --he walked or took the quad when he left

was he polite?

W: yes, at first...

D: did he ever go fishing?

W: yes, a few times..

D: did he and mark get along?

W: yes, they played football, and BBQed, and joked around

D:

W: mark was very attentive to his son, Dylan would stay up late playing xbox and watching Nickelodeon, and sleep on the couch until very late in morn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle