Judicial District: 8th Judicial District
Year Solved:
Race: African American
NamUs Case #: UP9890
Eyes: Brown
NCMEC Case #: Unknown
Hair: Gray or Partially Gray

About this Case:​

This middle-aged African American female checked in to a local motel on 06/27/11 and arrived there by taxi. She paid for a room in cash through 07/11/11. It was later found that she had stayed at other local motels in the area, always taking a taxi, paying in cash, and giving false and different names. She told the Motel 9 that her name was Sandra Nelson, of 5203 Bosa Ave., Park City, UT. This was later found to be a non-existent address and false name. She also stated that she was originally from Los Angeles and was looking for a house in this area. On 07/11/11, she did not show up for breakfast as had been her custom. Since it was her last paid day, staff assumed she had checked out. They entered her room with a master key and found her deceased on the bed with pills at her feet and a bright blue, granular purging coming from her nose and mouth. There was no suicide note but autopsy results showed a massive overdose of multiple medications and case was ruled as a suicide. Luggage and other items were found in the room but all identifiers had been meticulously eliminated before death. All attempts to identify the decedent have failed. Anyone with information on this case is encouraged to contact the Larimer County Sheriff's Office.

If you have any information about this case, please contact:​

Larimer County Sheriff's Office
Fort Collins
Colorado
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Jane Doe

Would anyone be willing to call and ask what it would take to have DNA submitted on her? They don't call me back anymore but they've never given me a clear answer. Maybe someone else would have more luck?

I’ve been in touch with a reporter at a Denver news station about doing a story on Sandra as we approach the 11th anniversary of her death. Hopefully some answers come of it!

Attachments

• 4299DFIL.jpg
    4299DFIL.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 2
  • k7hmVtP.jpg
    k7hmVtP.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 2
1688143139812.png
NAMUS link
News article from 2011

From NAMUS:
  • Found 7/11/11
  • 5'6", 211 lbs (measured)
  • Checked in to a local motel on 06/27/11
  • Traveled by taxi
  • Paid for a room in cash through 07/11/11
  • She had stayed at other local motels in the area
  • Always taking a taxi, paying in cash, and giving false names​
  • She told the Motel 9 that her name was Sandra Nelson, of 5203 Bosa Ave., Park City, UT which was later found to be a non-existent address and false name​
  • Stated she was originally from Los Angeles and was looking for a house in this area​
  • Staff entered her room on her last paid day with a master key and found her deceased on the bed with pills at her feet​
  • There was no suicide note but autopsy results showed a massive overdose of multiple medications and case was ruled as a suicide​
  • Luggage and other items were found in the room but all identifiers had been meticulously eliminated before death​
  • Scar on chin and c-section scar on lower abdomen​
  • Luggage, books, clothes listed at link​

Edit - looks like Lonnett has been ruled out, dang. List of exclusions:

1688143816782.png

Could this be Lonnett Myer Jackson?

I don't put much stock in height and weight - it's often taken from outdated drivers licenses or medical records. There is a 2" height difference.

Things that match:
  • Suicidal
  • Pierced ears
  • C-section scar
  • Faces look very similar to me
  • Lonnett wore her hair short, both had greying hair
  • Took ID and social security card with her - she didn't take her bank cards or phone. Could easily get a new ATM card with just ID and ss card.
1688143686925.png1688143698665.png

Current exclusions are:
MP19283 Daphne Hope 08/02/2001 Adams CO
MP847 Lonnett Jackson 04/11/2006 Allegheny PA
MP7607 Joyce McCollum 09/01/2004 Virginia Beach VA (listed on NAMUS twice)
MP12713 Sandra Welton 01/01/2004 Wayne MI
MP20155 Bobbie McDowell 01/08/2004 Los Angeles CA (No longer has an active profile in NAMUS)

At first glance I like this as a potential, let me do a little deep diving. My only issue is that "Sandra" told a witness that she was in her 70s and walked with a cane, Mary Nelson may be too young. I will reach out to the investigator regardless if you havent already

At first glance I like this as a potential, let me do a little deep diving. My only issue is that "Sandra" told a witness that she was in her 70s and walked with a cane, Mary Nelson may be too young. I will reach out to the investigator regardless if you havent already
I never contacted anyone in charge of Sandra Nelson's case so you can submit Mary Beatrice Nelson if you want.

Mary had a drug addiction. Maybe that caused "Sandra" to have to use a cane? I know that chronic abuse of certain drugs can cause serious neurological and muscular damage that could affect the ability to walk, and you may have to use a cane to get around.

Mary had a drug addiction. Maybe that caused "Sandra" to have to use a cane? I know that chronic abuse of certain drugs can cause serious neurological and muscular damage that could affect the ability to walk, and you may have to use a cane to get around.
Sandra certainly had no shortage of pills with her.

Sandra certainly had no shortage of pills with her.
And in case you ask, Yes, drug use can affect a person's physical appearance and make them look older. Some drugs can cause side effects such as weight loss, dehydration, premature skin aging, and the appearance of wrinkles. Additionally, chronic drug abuse can have a negative impact on overall health, which can contribute to a person looking older.

Larimer County has a new sheriff as of January of this year. I have emailed him requesting that genetic genealogy be used in identifying Larimer County's 3 unidentified individuals, including "sandra nelson".
Thank you for taking the time to reach out. Sometimes all it takes is a bug in the ear. Hopefully, they will look into their options for GG.

And in case you ask, Yes, drug use can affect a person's physical appearance and make them look older. Some drugs can cause side effects such as weight loss, dehydration, premature skin aging, and the appearance of wrinkles. Additionally, chronic drug abuse can have a negative impact on overall health, which can contribute to a person looking older.
I have the actual photos of her body and she does appear to be in her 70s, quite plump with greying hair. Her skin is surprisingly pretty smooth and wrinkle free.

Wow, she was so neat and orderly with all of her plastic and ziploc bags, along with the detailed labeling of medications/supplements. It would not be cheap to be on all of those supplements, and judging by the sheer amount I wonder if she was seeing a naturopath or similar. I thought for sure she had arthritis because of the various pain meds, Thermacare pack, and cane but it was not noted at autopsy.

She took really good care of herself. Drank juices, ate whole grain organic bagels, took her Metamucil and aspirin, had her nail file ready to go. The enlarged heart would have probably caused shortness of breath and difficulty getting around (hence the cane) and hypertension. The kidney/incontinence issues would be uncomfortable. And I'm not sure if the pulmonary edema is from the overdose or if she had evidence of chronic disease? I sure hope she enjoyed a big delicious unhealthy last meal from Denny's.

She's likely had a history of chronic pain, anxiety, and insomnia. Some of those meds are strange and would not be out on the street simply b/c they are old school. Like I've only seen temazepam used years ago in inpatient psychiatry. I can't see Sandra with her baggies of supplements buying random pills on the street. However, it's super weird that she just had all her rx meds just thrown into a baggie of "emergency mental and heart meds."

Wow, she was so neat and orderly with all of her plastic and ziploc bags, along with the detailed labeling of medications/supplements. It would not be cheap to be on all of those supplements, and judging by the sheer amount I wonder if she was seeing a naturopath or similar. I thought for sure she had arthritis because of the various pain meds, Thermacare pack, and cane but it was not noted at autopsy.

She took really good care of herself. Drank juices, ate whole grain organic bagels, took her Metamucil and aspirin, had her nail file ready to go. The enlarged heart would have probably caused shortness of breath and difficulty getting around (hence the cane) and hypertension. The kidney/incontinence issues would be uncomfortable. And I'm not sure if the pulmonary edema is from the overdose or if she had evidence of chronic disease? I sure hope she enjoyed a big delicious unhealthy last meal from Denny's.

She's likely had a history of chronic pain, anxiety, and insomnia. Some of those meds are strange and would not be out on the street simply b/c they are old school. Like I've only seen temazepam used years ago in inpatient psychiatry. I can't see Sandra with her baggies of supplements buying random pills on the street. However, it's super weird that she just had all her rx meds just thrown into a baggie of "emergency mental and heart meds."
According to the police report, she took a taxi to the motel 9 from a hotel across the street. She told the taxi driver that she had left her husband and had estranged family in either illinois or missouri. Not sure if posting the report would be allowed here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekmtl
Back