Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #53

Status
Not open for further replies.

We are back for the second half of today's jury trial. The next 1.5 hours should be taken up by Voir Dire, where the prosecution and defense each get 45 minutes to ask the remaining potential jurors questions. We are starting off with the prosecution.

Voir dire will give a bit of insight into what each set of attorneys are looking for in an optimal juror for this trial.

A lot of questions about media exposure from Allen, and if the current crop of potential jurors are able to separate the news they've seen from the evidence and testimony that will be presented at trial. None of the remaining people are indicating that would be a problem.

Some other topics of conversation from Allen include the importance of a motive in assuming someone's guilt or not, as well as if potential jurors can stay engaged for the entirety of this potential trial. A wide range of answers to all questions thus far.

Specifically, on the topic of motive - which Allen has been talking about for nearly 10 minutes now - many potential jurors are split on if motive would be an issue or not in providing a guilty verdict.

On to the defense's voir dire, Josh Tolini is spending the first chunk of his time pressing potential jurors on hardships they have and if they could truly be here for a full 6-8 weeks without any issues.

The importance of perceived bias is being brought up again by Tolini, but this time under the light of presumption of innocence. "You have to come in here presuming she (Stauch) is innocent.”

Clearly, the #1 concern for Tolini at the moment is grilling pretty much every potential juror on if they could truly presume someone is innocent when the allegations against Stauch are as horrific as they are. A few people admitted it would be "hard" or "difficult.”

At the end of Tolini's voir dire, he got a handful of potential jurors to admit that they find the plea of not guilty by reason of insanity as not a legitimate defense in general. "I think it's for cowards," one woman remarked.
Zach's remaining tweets (after the 10 minute break)

Only 20 potential jurors now remain after Werner dismissed 12 more people following the end of voir dire. The remaining 20 potential jurors will return on April 3 for the end of jury selection.

We will get back at it tomorrow when a new group of 75 will be brought into the courtroom and the same process will play out as today. This will be repeated every day until a pool of around 110 are selected for the final stage of jury selection on April 3.

Today is a glimpse into why this process is expected to take two full weeks. It took seven full hours today for the court to come up with 20 potential jurors out of the 110 needed.

Lunch is over. Court is back in session. Jury selection resumes.

.@4thJudicialDA Michael Allen speaking to the potential jurors, asking questions about how jurors interpret bias. Allen says he is looking for a good juror for this case in particular.

Allen asked potential jurors if they can put media information they've previously consumed on this case to the side. Several potential jurors said they could. One said they are already trying to wipe their mind clean of past news surrounding this case.

While speaking to potential jurors, DA Allen was about to compare Stauch to the Aurora mass shooter case. Defense immediately objected to that characterization. After a brief discussion with Judge Werner, Allen moved off from discussing the Aurora shooter.

Prosecution is done. #LeteciaStauch defense counsel is now asking questions of potential jurors.

Defense starts asking about potential hardships if they were to serve on the #LeteciaStauch jury. Defense attorney doesn't want jurors to experience potential hardships serving on a jury. But his 'only obligation is to that woman right there' - as he points to Letecia.

Potential juror told defense she is from Fountain and a part of the Facebook group, 'Find Gannon.' Remembers keeping an eye out for Gannon back in early 2020 before his remains were found in FL. Potential juror said “we were all looking for the kiddo.”

Defense discussing the brutal evidence in this case, can potential jurors handle observing autopsy photos of a decomposing 11-year old child?

Defense asks potential jurors, is guilty by reason of insanity a 'BS' excsuse? Multiple jurors agree that insanity is used as an excuse for their actions. #LeteciaStauch pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity for Gannon Stauch's murder.

Dan's remaining tweets after the 10 minute break:

20 potential jurors asked to stay by Judge Gregory Werner, 12 more dismissed.

Judge Werner's order to 20 potential jurors: -Can tell family they may be on the jury for #LeteciaStauch. -Can ask for family for help in avoiding news about the case. -Do not discuss case details with anyone.

Judge says they are hoping to reach a group of 110 potential jurors before the next step in the selection process. The plan is they come together on April 3rd to pick final 18 (12 jurors and 6 alternates). It is possible they will not have projected jurors by April 3.

...snipped...So, the actual trial won't start on April 3rd, but the voir dire could go on over a week or two? ...

...Judge says they are hoping to reach a group of 110 potential jurors before the next step in the selection process. The plan is they come together on April 3rd to pick final 18 (12 jurors and 6 alternates). It is possible they will not have projected jurors by April 3.
Hope you can answer my question. I can't see how they'd have the final 18 jurors anywhere near April 3rd. Thank You for all your updates and help.

Hope you can answer my question. I can't see how they'd have the final 18 jurors anywhere near April 3rd. Thank You for all your updates and help.
I don't want to give any incorrect info. Thus far, the goal is April 3rd date. Of course the date could change. Not confirmed.

That process begins with attorneys and Judge Werner working to whittle the list down to 110 potential jurors, all of whom will be called back to the court on April 3, when attorneys will select the jury.

I'm very curious come April 3rd if both sides will just be able to take their voir dire answers and know which jurors they want to weed out quickly. I remember the circus it was in the Casey Anthony trial.

Following voir dire and a 20-minute talk behind closed doors with the attorneys, Werner dismissed 12 more jurors.

The 20 remaining potential jurors include a young woman still in college, an older woman who stated she has already served on a jury two times in El Paso County and a younger man who had previously served in the military and informed attorneys he had never heard of Stauch before being selected for jury duty.

I am waiting for LS to testify and drop a "bomb" that HH is really the killer, and LS has just been covering for her. That HH critically injured Gannon, prior to going to work. And LS had to "fix" it. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.
Yikes, that definitely sounds like something she would say. You're right, wouldn't be that much of a surprise.

I am waiting for LS to testify and drop a "bomb" that HH is really the killer, and LS has just been covering for her. That HH critically injured Gannon, prior to going to work. And LS had to "fix" it. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.
I don’t believe the jurors would buy that for a minute. Leticia would have to be believable. And likeable. She is neither.

I hope someone can answer my questions. This jury selection seems like it can take a long time. I need to know what to expect. After all this process, say they end up with 110 potential jurors that report back on April 3rd. Then... this is the part I'm fuzzy about... does each side, defense and prosecution, get about 1/2 hr. each to question potential jurors and weed them out? That would take over two weeks! I know the Judge will move this along, but it's a tedious process. (Was today part of the process of the actual weeding out? I listened, but could only hear some of the jurors.) So, the actual trial won't start on April 3rd, but the voir dire could go on over a week or two?

This is for federal, but it seems it still might apply to the process.
No, the defense requested extended voir dire and Judge Werner rejected the request.

Per my notes from the pretrial hearing, Judge planned to screen 75 jurors at a time and each side will be allowed to strike 16 jurors.

In the end, they will seat 12 Jurors and have 6 alternates for a total of 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member