CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, found deceased, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I absolutely believe in the insanity defence where someone was clearly and undoubtedly insane, and could not be held responsible. But for a grade A lying B**** like Lietecia not so much. I find it an insult that she has been allowed to proceed with this defence, especially as her lawyer originally lied and said they werent going to attempt to plead insanity for the murder charge, but for the cleanup, and I hope they throw the book at her.
Agreed, I have a hard time imagining insanity when afterwards they seem sane enough to concoct stories. Elaborate excuses, even interviews before the body is found. I always tend to (want to) think, when a child is involved, that the parent/adult didn't really mean it, as though it were an accident.

But with this chick, Watts, Todt, and dozens more, it's just evil, heinous, a result of many conscious decisions, not just one fly off the handle mistake. I realize Watts confessed, and Todt didn't claim insanity.

There's Andrea Yates then there's Leticia.

Last edited:
Fortunately, being insane and criminally insane are not equivalent.

Understanding the Insanity Defense​

Legal Tests to Determine “Insanity”

“Insanity” is a legal term that presupposes a medical illness or defect but is not synonymous with “mental illness,” “mental disorder,” and “mental disease or defect.” “Mental illness” is a more encompassing term than “insanity,” and thus, a person can be mentally ill – medically speaking – without legally being insane. Five tests of insanity have been applied at one time or another.

The M’NaghtenTest – Colorado Follows the McNaughton Rule

To establish a defense on the grounds of insanity, it must be clearly proved that, at the time of committing the act, the party accused was laboring under such a defect of reason, from disease of the mind, as not to know the nature and quality of the act he was doing; or if he did know it, that he did not know that what he was doing was wrong.

The M’Naghten rule focuses exclusively on cognitive disability.

Under this rule, a person is insane if, at the time of the criminal act, he was laboring under such a defect of reason, arising from a disease of the mind, that he (1) did not know the nature and quality of the act that he was doing; or (2) if he did know it, he did not know that what he was doing was wrong.

This test requires total cognitive disability and does not allow for degrees of incapacity and nor does it recognize volitional incapacity in which a person is aware that conduct is wrong yet cannot control* his behavior.

* IMO, this is where LS's alleged disassociative identity disorder (multiple personality/identities) falls flat and is guaranteed to fail her. She wants us to believe she could not control her alter ego persona. MOO :rolleyes:

That would only work, if she hadn't texted her daughter to pick up cleaning supplies. Shows definitely that LS was covering up her mess. And knew killing Gannon was wrong.

The difference with Andrea Yates, is that she didn't even attempt a cover up.

I was even open to considering that Gannon's death was the result of a angry accident, her throwing something at him, something like that. But then recently I got somewhat caught up, she actually shot him in the jaw, with extra bullets in the pillow, and stabbed him twice, iirc, amongst other knife wounds, and apparently caused a head fracture. I mean I just can't imagine the need to go get a gun or to kill him using multiple ways.

Zachary Dupont zachary.dupont@gazette.com
Mar 21, 2023 Updated 32 min ago

Attorneys representing Letecia Stauch revealed Tuesday that their psychiatrist concluded in her report that Stauch was insane and “in a psychotic state” at the time of her stepson Gannon’s murder.

Stauch is accused of killing her 11-year-old stepson, Gannon Stauch, in January 2020 and driving his body to Florida, where she attempted to dispose of his remains. Stauch appeared in court for her second day of trial wearing a light blue button-up shirt and dress pants.

The findings of the defense’s sanity report, conducted by Dr. Dorothy Lewis, were unknown until Tuesday when defense attorney Josh Tolini informed the potential jurors in the courtroom that his expert found Stauch to be insane.

Last edited:
A juror apparently had a very unusual handbag that the judge was very impressed with, he commented and said it really was impressive, and it would be great if it actually worked, the juror replied that it did and Judge Werner was quite excited so now we are all curious! :)

For all of that -- I hope this dandy handbag popped out hot buttermilk pancakes with a compost button when breakfast was finished! :D

I get what the juror asked though. Good question. If she is found sane after ten years in a hospital (because she fooled them) does she go to prison for life?

Just as important, is a judge required by law to confine her to a mental hospital because dr Lewis found her to be insane? After learning Lewis takes notes and her son transcribes them, I question her memory of facts.

We know only an insane person would commit a murder BUT she had options, like filing for divorce and leaving. They always have options but choose the evil way. Evil belongs in prison. Evil cannot be “cured”.
BBM

No, LS would not go to prison for life. Not guilty by reason of insanity means not guilty & doesn't carry prison time. Some states have Guilty but Insane verdicts and in that case what you've suggested could happen. To me, NGRI makes more sense than GBI. The person either had the mental capacity or she didn't. And if she didn't, why punish her if her sanity can be restored later? She wasn't sane at the time. (I'm not speaking about LS in particular.)

So far as I know, the judge doesn't have to do anything under the circumstances you describe. I haven't seen anything Dr. Lewis has written or said about this case so I can't question her memory at this point. But regardless, the judge isn't obligated...
JMO

It really warms my heart to see so many familiar faces here showing up for Gannon.

I never doubted for a minute that any of y’all would ever forget our pledge to never forget him. And to be here until we saw Justice.

Forgive me if I sound sappy, but I feel like we are all assembling like a Justice League for our little G-man.

So many emotions— happy that it’s coming to an end -+ Nervous and dreading the horrible details.
Hope ~ that G’s Mom can finally get even a tiny bit of relief that this Monster is going to finally pay for what she did.

Please take care of yourselves and each other.
1679431950824.png

BBM

No, LS would not go to prison for life. Not guilty by reason of insanity means not guilty & doesn't carry prison time. Some states have Guilty but Insane verdicts and in that case what you've suggested could happen. To me, NGRI makes more sense than GBI. The person either had the mental capacity or she didn't. And if she didn't, why punish her if her sanity can be restored later? She wasn't sane at the time. (I'm not speaking about LS in particular.)

So far as I know, the judge doesn't have to do anything under the circumstances you describe. I haven't seen anything Dr. Lewis has written or said about this case so I can't question her memory at this point. But regardless, the judge isn't obligated...
JMO
Hmmm, do you mean if the defense can convince the jury that LS is insane, she will walk out of court free? I don’t think so! That would be a travesty. That is NOT justice.

And add that, LS loves acting and playing games, what if she started chasing butterflies again? No I am not accepting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie