CO CO - Garfield Co, WhtMale 35-65, 789UMCO, skeletal in tent, Sep'04

On "Instant Checkmate" I find a mention of a Mark A Husk, deceased at 55, from Vergennes, Vermont; and a Mark Husk Memorial Fund in Vergennes on the Vermont Community Fund site...

I Spoke to a relative of Mark Husk who mentioned that Mark still had his baby teeth. That corresponds with the Flat Tops John Doe having a filling in nearly every tooth. However she doesnt recall Mark being a smoker.........

I think I may have found flat tops John Doe in Australia. It's a little bit of a leap and the first time I have never looked into anything like this but there are so many things that correlate. I have emailed the contact on NamUs, not sure if I should do anything else? I do not have any investigative background or access to anything other than what has been published to the public.

Apologies if this person has already been covered.

So I came across Wayne Drewett from April 2003, who was last seen heading to make a questionably sketchy business deal (it is assumed Wayne thought everything was above board) and then vanished. His car was found abandoned at Perth Airport and he had drawn out $10,000 on or around the day of his disappearance. There were some other shady details and essentially the coroner's inquest decided he had been murdered likely by a Romanian criminal somewhat known to police. I recalled the sleeping bag for John Doe had a Perth Australia logo on it. John doe was listed as 5 foot 10 inches and Wayne as 5 foot 11 inches. Wayne was former Special Air Services Regiment - I know there was some talk of John Doe may be being in the forces. I have been unable to find any publicly available dental records for Wayne. He did have a cardiac condition, no details relating to any arthropathy were released publicly so unsure if Wayne suffered any back or neck issues. Wayne would have been 57/58 years old when he disappeared. I tried to look up family names to see if anyone was called "lib" but did not come across anything concrete. There were some published handwritten address cards that seemed very close to John Doe's writing but honestly, I wasn't 100% they were actually written by Wayne so I discounted it.

Wayne DREWETT

Wayne DREWETT

I could not get over the striking resemblance to the artist's rendition of flat tops john doe and the missing man. Anyway here are the pictures side by side

upload_2019-11-1_11-42-35.png

Would be interesting if it were an Australian. We can take a maximum of $10,000 out of Australia without declaring it to the govt. 10k or above must be formally reported. I know people who travel with just under the amount, not for any nefarious reasons except they don’t want to do paperwork for amounts over 10k.

I think I may have found flat tops John Doe in Australia. It's a little bit of a leap and the first time I have never looked into anything like this but there are so many things that correlate. I have emailed the contact on NamUs, not sure if I should do anything else? I do not have any investigative background or access to anything other than what has been published to the public.

So I came across Wayne Drewett from April 2003, who was last seen heading to make a questionably sketchy business deal (it is assumed Wayne thought everything was above board) and then vanished. His car was found abandoned at Perth Airport and he had drawn out $10,000 on or around the day of his disappearance. There were some other shady details and essentially the coroner's inquest decided he had been murdered likely by a Romanian criminal somewhat known to police. I recalled the sleeping bag for John Doe had a Perth Australia logo on it. John doe was listed as 5 foot 10 inches and Wayne as 5 foot 11 inches. Wayne was former Special Air Services Regiment - I know there was some talk of John Doe may be being in the forces. I have been unable to find any publicly available dental records for Wayne. He did have a cardiac condition, no details relating to any arthropathy were released publicly so unsure if Wayne suffered any back or neck issues. Wayne would have been 57/58 years old when he disappeared. I tried to look up family names to see if anyone was called "lib" but did not come across anything concrete. There were some published handwritten address cards that seemed very close to John Doe's writing but honestly, I wasn't 100% they were actually written by Wayne so I discounted it.

Wayne DREWETT

Wayne DREWETT

I could not get over the striking resemblance to the artist's rendition of flat tops john doe and the missing man. Anyway here are the pictures side by side

View attachment 212595

I don't know if I can picture this man as Australian because Flat Tops, Colorado is sure an odd, random and generally unknown place for even an American to end up in!

BUT I think you could be on to something.

Earlier upthread, we discussed what appears like it could be a date written at the bottom of the page, and how it resembles the European/Australian method of dating:

Lately I've been leaning towards the idea that "AN G,Y, K" is the number 17. The A is actually a number 1 with a European crossed # 7 next to it. The part after that looks like it could be the only cursive writing on the pages such as 17 Nov and then a signature. Anybody else see that at all? Its important because putting the number before the month is the way a foreigner/European would put a date and of course the crossed 7 would be European.

But in Australia:

"Australians typically write the date with the day leading, as in the United Kingdom and New Zealand:
  • 19 April 2019
  • 2019-04-19 or 19/04/2019"
In the sample, I don't see slashes or dots, but I think dots would fade more easily in the elements than a slash, so I can see it lean more towards the European/German method.

Even more so because of what comes after the "17." At first, I thought it was a hastily written "Nov" or even "Dec". However, it just doesn't look like space for three letters, but it is enough space for a month-number, as in the EU/German method. And what we used to think was a "Y" now looks like a "9" to me, so I think it fits.

Then there's the money. The pages appear to contain the sum of "$25,000". Could this be in Australian dollars? If Wayne left Australia with $10,000 to make a "sketchy business deal," could he have actually succeeded and fled the country with an additional $15,000?

And, as you mentioned, there's also the sleeping bag, manufactured by DMH, an Australian company which no longer exists:

He has a sleeping bag cover that doesn't match the brand of sleeping bag on him. DMH is a tent company in Australia so I'm really wondering if this guy could've been an Australian. One lead would be to find out if any US companies carried DMH Australia products.

I haven't been able to find which city DMH was based out of, but I'm sure that their products would be common in Australia.

Also, we've speculated that the nickname "Lib" is short for "Elizabeth" or maybe even "Liberty" etc. But to be honest, I don't think I've ever heard "Lib" as a nickname—at least not here in New York. But it does sound to me like the kind of nickname an English or Australian person might use.

And last but not least I think there's a strong resemblance between the photo of Wayne and the bust of Flat Tops John Doe. Their heights match, and Wayne went missing a year and a half before Flat Tops John Doe was found.

If no one from around the area has come forward to claim him by now, then maybe that's because he wasn't from the area—and perhaps not even from the country.

Last edited:

Wayne DREWETT

Wayne DREWETT

View attachment 212595

Oh how I wish you were right about this, notanexpert. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a match.

Drewett's brother said Wayne liked living "the high life," but living on the run in a tent in the Colorado mountains doesn't sound like much of a high life.

If he had $10,000 in cash on him, it seems like he could have rented a cabin or even taken a hotel room while working to set up a new life.

Also, it sounds like he had actually raised a few hundred thousand through investors, so would have had enough to set himself up pretty well. If he was trying to abscond with his investors' money to start a new life, it seems odd that the investors were some of the people telling his wife that everything was fine and not to call the police in the days after his disappearance.

Mr. Stuart, the Romanian assumed to have been involved with Drewett's disappearance, was also questioned on another occasion for being involved in the disappearance of another man along with the man's $300,000.

I really think Stuart lured Drewett that day and they went to Drewett's house and the bank (to access their side-by-side safety deposit boxes) before heading off - maybe Stuart told him they needed to fly somewhere to close the deal. Maybe told him to get the money and his passport and they'd call his wife later once they were at their destination?

So perhaps Drewett grabbed a change of clothes (PJs were missing), laptop, etc. and met Stuart before going to the bank together. Then maybe headed to Stuart's house ostensibly to get his things, but then Stuart killed him and disposed of his body, dumping his car at the airport.

Or, since appliances were left on at Drewett's, maybe Stuart snatched him from there (post bank-run). In any event, I don't see anything in the story to suggest Wayne might head to the US to hide out in the woods for a few years.

I'm not saying it's absolutely impossible, but I really think Drewett met with foul play at the hands of Stuart. And I can't imagine Drewett wouldn't have reached out to his daughter, at least, to let her know he was okay.

Lastly, there didn't seem to be any indication that Stuart (or his investors) felt Wayne had absconded with their money, so it seems unlikely he would have felt the need to hide in the woods in the US just to avoid capture.

BUT - good thinking, and keep it up! I like your outside-the-box thinking, which is likely necessary to solve this mystery.

All MOO.

Maybe to old, but Could he be Carl Herbert Landers?

The Doe Network: Case File 4065DMCA

Hi isluuth, thanks for the input. I can see the resemblance, but I don't think that's our guy. The circumstances seem incongruous, and in addition, our guy had some back issues that Carl Landers seemed not to have had.

It's also awfully far away and I don't see how Carl would have gotten the cash and camping items our guy had with him even if he were to have made it so far. And of course the age is also a strike against him.

But please keep searching! I so want to give this man his name back.

Okay y'all, what about this: the "ang" or "any" at the bottom of page 1 that's followed by what looks like numbers and/or cursive writing - could it have anything to do with the ANG (Air National Guard) of Nevada, 152nd Airlift Wing?

Take a look:
Nevada Air National Guard Base

MOO

E6828E5F-DD76-450D-B554-42FF0A59665C.jpeg
Age isn’t too far off, and they do resemble one another. I briefly searched for anything that night connect Carl with a “Lib”....I couldn’t find anything. However I did find some additional info on him. Apparently he had set out to hike all the highest mountains in California when he disappeared. In the newspaper article, it mentions his wife, Bobbie Landers. I don’t know if could be a pet name for her?

I didn’t do a thorough search, but for anyone interested in Carl’s case as well, he was born in Chicago, Illinois and used several different names according to his SS record (I believe he was declared deceased in 2004): Carl Herbert Landerman, Carl Herbert Loring, Carl Landers. I didn’t have time to go back though the journal pages (it’s been awhile since I first obsessed over them. lol) but I don’t think it’s completely impossible. I’m not sure if Carl would have made it to Colorado, maybe in his effort to “conquer” California mountains he ventured off and found that he had bit off a little more than he could chew.

Im attaching a few clippings from the San Francisco Examiner about Carl’s disappearance...
7A98B5A3-C9D8-48D2-AE34-D2DDC758645A.jpeg 91951FED-B61D-476B-B2CA-61C21460A940.jpeg

I can see the resemblance, but I have to agree with others who don't think this is him.

In order to get from Lake Helen, CA to Flat Tops, CO, Carl would've had to climb down 9,400 ft from the camp where he was staying—despite not feeling well—and then trek about 750 miles to Colorado. Along the way, he would've had to withdraw money from a bank, since Flat Tops Doe was found with $620 in various denominations, and Carl wasn't reported to have had that kind of money on him. On top of that, he would've had to purchase or borrow the camping equipment he was found with.

The timing does fit, but from Carl's page on the Doe Network, I think it's more likely he's still near the area where he was last seen, and just hasn't been found yet.

:)

Greetings friends....I am new here....
my request is for anyone named "LIB" who may know a man who went missing between 1999-2004
He had several items with him including a green spiral 4"x5" notebook.
on the cover he drew a heart inside the heart is a cat+ a bell+a cross

rather than try and explain this to you please look at the two colorado
newspaper articles about it.
Post Independent from April 20,2006 article by: Dennis webb
also you will find an article in the Rocky Mountain News
from may6,2006
local section written by Joe Garner
There is alist of items with him including these:
reading[wire rimmed glasses]
sunglasses
a Sweetwater-water-filtration kit
20[once a carton?] Camel cigarettes packs
8-multi colored butane lighters
pocket sized Battleship game
"4 in 1" Radio Shack Game
Silver[Sharper Image] binoculars
a Bell?[could be cat bell?
was wearing a black belt[don't know type pf buckle]
blue backpack
yellow+green plastic poncho
brown sleeping bag
blue hairbrush
six $100.00
one$10.00
one$5.00
five$1.00
=620.00.........which in his note he asks "LIB" to use to creamate his remains...in the note in the 4"x5" spiral notebook

one pair of SIZE 9 M Timberland hiking boots brown& black[shown in gallery at the newspaper site]

Green Eureka dome tent

Blue & Black Jansport backpack

Green camping pillow

I contacted the authorities about John Doe being Mark Allen Husk last year and I recently received this:

Good afternoon Joe,

First of all, thank you for the work you have done in an attempt to identify this person as well as locate Mr. Mark Allen Husk. I am working with several agencies on these two cases. I am hoping to have a DNA sample for Mr. Husk soon so I can get it compared to the unidentified remains case. Sadly, the process to identify remains as well as locating a missing person is rather lengthy for everyone involved, but I am diligently working on this case and hope soon I will be able to find the identity of the remains.

I've been staring at this word for the last few months now. If I had to choose what it mst looked like, I would have to say "A-U-L-T. Since Ault isnt a word I've always dismissed it. However a quick google reveals that "Ault" is actually a town on Colorado about 6 hours from where John Doe was found. Is he asking to be buried in Ault????

Attachments

• ault4.png
    ault4.png
    1 MB · Views: 127

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members