CO - James Holmes Trial Discussion - Begins April 27, 2015 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 12m12 minutes ago
Nelson wants judge to include language in jury instructions saying that JH asserts mental illness "caused" him to commit #theatershooting

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 11m11 minutes ago
Orman says that would be a substitute for the insanity defense. He objects. #theatershooting

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 7m7 minutes ago
Mental illness may have caused him to commit the crime, but it might not make him insane, the judge says. #theatershooting

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 4m4 minutes ago
Judge won't include the defense's proposed language in his instructions to the jury. #theatershooting

IF JH had gone and just murdered 'right away' I might say he had 'snapped' and was insane.

The months of planning, buying, researching, trolling the theater etc....JH thought of things a lot of other murders would not think of. He was sane...totally sane.

He may have mental issues, but who is to say we don't all have some sort of mental issue. His November episodes in the hospital and jail were/are self induced from not eating, drinking, staying up all the time and what ever else....as well as acting!!! That is MO.

Nelson needs to stop and sit down...she is not going to win at all...the State looks so disgusted with her.

I have to try and see if she really is DP qualified. The Judge is 'training' her like Baez got trained!

I can't see a beard on Mr Ormon (?) by the way. Mind you, my internet isn't great so my screen is a bit blurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if he doesn't have one now, he damm sure will when this flail is over.

Should the judge really have to teach a defence lawyer the correct court protocol at this stage in her career? She is part of a team defending a case where a man's life is at stake. She should know her job!

See, that's what I mean? He explained 4 times already & said he was doing the verdict forms the way the law instructions back on 7/2 & she is still going on & on & on citing constitutional amendments!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never heard defense attys. going on like they do!
Not even Nurmi & Willmont! OH my, at least they knew the law!

I truly wish that we didn't have to always play into "appeal"--always playing into the record for appeal--makes me sick

Am I the only one with "wandering mind"?????

Now the judge is finally pizzed enuff to raise his voice. Good for him!! You go, Your Honor. In her face. Yay!!!

a few seconds ago

Judge says the jurors should only get to the special question (under Colorado law) if they find the defendant not guilty of everything on the first part of that form Judge says he his following the statute and not deviating Phil Tenser

Judge explaining the same thing about instructions to her- for the umpteen time!

Where did she go to law school?

Oooh, he is HOT!!

IF JH had gone and just murdered 'right away' I might say he had 'snapped' and was insane.

The months of planning, buying, researching, trolling the theater etc....JH thought of things a lot of other murders would not think of. He was sane...totally sane.

He may have mental issues, but who is to say we don't all have some sort of mental issue. His November episodes in the hospital and jail were/are self induced from not eating, drinking, staying up all the time and what ever else....as well as acting!!! That is MO.

Nelson needs to stop and sit down...she is not going to win at all...the State looks so disgusted with her.

I have to try and see if she really is DP qualified. The Judge is 'training' her like Baez got trained!

Great post!! That's the whole nut right there.

People are indeed wacky and can talk crazily and non-sensibly when dehydrated -- that's one reason why it is such a dangerous situation.

Maybe Ms. Nelson need a couple of glasses of water...

Judge asks Nelson for the next suggestion. Nelson says it is proposed changes to instruction about the insanity defense Same objection. Same ruling" Samour says Phil Tenser

Great post!! That's the whole nut right there.

People are indeed wacky and can talk crazily and non-sensibly when dehydrated -- that's one reason why it is such a dangerous situation.

Maybe Ms. Nelson need a couple of glasses of water...

Can you imagine if she dehydrated and had a funny turn!

I'm a little bit behind (maybe 8 minutes). Did anyone else hear someone recording a news article over the top of the video?

Oh don't mind me! I had another window open and it was another video playing lol!!!

This is what I found so far...not much on Ms Nelson
This comes from Karasoncrime...not from her web site but from a Google search that popped this up.

Still looking to see if she is DP qualified...I am wondering maybe not. Will try and find out how long it takes an attorney in CO to be DP qualified. Too bad we do not have an attorney here. Off to search on the Ipad.

Colorado Theater Shooting Trial: Who’s Who in Court
Judge
Carlos A. Samour, Jr.
• Chief Judge, 18th Judicial District Court in Colorado (since July 2014)
• Appointed to the court in 2006, took the bench in 2007
• 2010—won a retention election with 62% of the vote
• Current 6-year term ends Dec. 31, 2016
• Undergraduate degree in psychology from University of Colorado/Denver
• Law degree from the University of Denver
• Before becoming a judge, was in private practice for 5 years then a deputy
district attorney in Denver for 10 years
• Born in El Salvador; came to the US when he was 13
• His father was a lawyer and former judge in El Salvador
• Graduated from Columbine High School
• Took over the Theater Shooting case in early 2013

Prosecution Team George Brauchler
• District Attorney for Colorado’s 18th Judicial District which covers 4 counties including Arapahoe where the trial is taking place
• Elected DA in 2012
• Republican
• Formerly a military attorney, Lt. Col. In Army Reserves
• Considered an outstanding trial attorney
• University of Colorado undergraduate (1992) and Law School (1995)
• Has taught at University of Denver Law School and University of Colorado
Law School
• Married, 4 children

Rich Orman
• Senior Deputy District Attorney
• J.D. from Georgetown Law School
Karen Pearson
• Chief Deputy District Attorney (that was her title in 2013; could still be)
• Undergraduate degree from Colorado State University
• J.D. from University of Denver
• Cases she has handled include sex assaults on children, child abuse resulting
in death, aggravated robberies and homicides

Lisa Teesch Maguire
• Staff Attorney at the Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center since 2011
• Graduate of CU-Boulder's Leeds School of Business and School of Law
Defense Team/Public Defenders Daniel King
• Public Defender since 1995 at the same office
• Chief Trial Deputy; capital case team
• University of Denver, Sturm College of Law graduate
• Represented Sir Mario Owens; currently one of 3 on Colorado’s death row

Tamara Brady
• Chief Trial Deputy; capital case team
• University of Colorado Law School graduate

Kristen Nelson
• J.D., Harvard Law School
• Practicing law for 8 years
• Also licensed to practice in Alabama

Katherine Spengler
• University of Colorado School of Law, graduated 2002
• Deputy Public Defender since 2002
• Represented Austin Sigg
• Has taught trial advocacy as an adjunct professor at University of Colorado
School of Law

Rebekka Higgs
• University of California/San Diego undergraduate
• University of California/Davis law graduate
• Office of the Colorado Public Defender
• Admitted and licensed to practice law in Colorado in 1995

why doesn't Ms Nelson just say that she wants all the evidence that the State submitted to be thrown out and never ever considered--just what her side put out there--and then deem the shooter NGRI---:gaah:

How long do we think jury instructions will be?????

This is getting tiresome!

How long do we think jury instructions will be?????

This is getting tiresome!

Didn't Judge Samour say he has 60 pages of jury instructions?

What a waste of time this Nelson person is.....blah, blah, blah.....very disrespectful to the judge....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa