CO - James Holmes Trial Discussion - Begins April 27, 2015 # 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the posters who have been following the trial from the beginning tell me if there has been any hard evidence of Holmes' guilt in this matter? Meaning witnesses who could ID him, his fingerprints on the guns or the ammo, gunshot residue evidence on his hands and clothing, etc. I have heard that Holmes has confessed to the crime; does anybody have a link to that? All I'm hearing is some circumstantial evidence and a lot of victims' impact statements; but nothing that that really ties him to the shooting in the theatre.

Im surprised someone doesnt lunge at him to try to choke him out. I know the Bailiff would probably intervene but it would be very tough not to try to get at him after the damage he caused friends and loved ones.

I think the seating arrangements are really bad. It seems they should have the defense swap and sit where the Prosecution is on the other side.

I think the jury has even commented they can't see JH's demeanour/expressions from where they are sitting.

Could the posters who have been following the trial from the beginning tell me if there has been any hard evidence of Holmes' guilt in this matter? Meaning witnesses who could ID him, his fingerprints on the guns or the ammo, gunshot residue evidence on his hands and clothing, etc. I have heard that Holmes has confessed to the crime; does anybody have a link to that? All I'm hearing is some circumstantial evidence and a lot of victims' impact statements; but nothing that that really ties him to the shooting in the theatre.

JH was apprehended at the scene. There is a LOT of evidence that he committed this crime. He has a huge paper trail of purchases - guns, ammo etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JH was apprehended at the scene. There is a LOT of evidence that he committed this crime. He has a huge paper trail of purchases - guns, ammo etc.

That's all circumstantial. Given that he was caught more or less red-handed, where's the direct evidence I mentioned?

Also, assuming he purchased the guns found at the scene, where is the evidence that those weapons caused the casualties? Have they been linked to the slugs pulled from the victims' bodies via analysis of lands and grooves? Did the responding officers smell those weapons to note the distinctive smell of a weapon that has just recently been fired? Did the shell casings recovered link back to the weapons via close analysis of ejector marks on the cartridges? That's hard forensic evidence, and I don't see it in this case. (Though I could have missed it.)

That's all circumstantial. Given that he was caught more or less red-handed, where's the direct evidence I mentioned?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the Defense is conceding he did it. So I dont think the prosecution is concentrating on trying to prove he did the crime. I think the only thing the Prosecution is going to try to prove is that he was "Legally Sane" at the time.

Which is Colorado Law that Prosecution has to prove he was sane to get the Death Penalty.

They turned down the defense offer to plead guilty for Life without parole.

ETA: The defense Plea was "Not Guilty By Reason Of Insanity" which implies the defense knows he did the actual murders but they are claiming he was insane at the time.

Below is where defense already admitted that he was the shooter so this case is not trying to prove who done it.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/ju...mes-holmes-colorado-theater-shooting-20130711

I seem to recall in opening statements the Defense conceded to him committing the crime.

Someone correct me if I am wrong about that.

I think the whole trial is whether is was sane or not so that the defense keeps him from getting Death Penalty. Thats my understanding anwyay.

There is a long ways to go yet so there is no telling what more the Prosecution has yet to show.

Also, assuming he purchased the guns found at the scene, where is the evidence that those weapons caused the casualties? Have they been linked to the slugs pulled from the victims' bodies via analysis of lands and grooves? Did the responding officers smell those weapons to note the distinctive smell of a weapon that has just recently been fired? Did the shell casings recovered link back to the weapons via close analysis of ejector marks on the cartridges? That's hard forensic evidence, and I don't see it in this case. (Though I could have missed it.)

Are you thinking he admitted to the crime because he has mental health issues and didn't understand what he was saying?

James Holmes posted his notebook to his psychiatrist at the University he attended. In it he outlines his plans for mass murder. He writes about the cinema and lists the pros and cons for choosing which screen to carry out the shooting in. Number of exits etc. Its been proven that it's his handwriting.

Last selfie that AJ Boik took with his girlfriend Lasamoa Cross right before the shooting. I see that JH was looking at the screen. I wonder what he feels about what he did.

09dd1d02837a6787f36ccc43dbef32aa.jpg

...the defense already admitted that he was the shooter so this case is not trying to prove who done it.
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/ju...mes-holmes-colorado-theater-shooting-20130711

From the link:

"In a court filing made public this week, defense lawyers admitted that Holmes “was in the throes of a psychotic episode when he committed the acts..."

How does the defense know he committed the acts? Did Holmes confess to them?

-------------------

Are you thinking he admitted to the crime because he has mental health issues and didn't understand what he was saying?

I am thinking he may not have admitted to the crime at all.

---------------

James Holmes posted his notebook to his psychiatrist at the University he attended. In it he outlines his plans for mass murder. He writes about the cinema and lists the pros and cons for choosing which screen to carry out the shooting in. Number of exits etc. Its been proven that it's his handwriting.

How has it been proven that the journal was in his own handwriting? And even if he did write those incriminating words, it still doesn't put him in the theatre shooting a gun.

Does anyone know if the state of CO has the death penalty? Sorry if it's a silly question!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know someone already responded, but death penalty is a little complicated in colorado. it is still technically on the books but a lot of people consider colorado as a de-facto capital-punishment-free state because they haven't executed someone in 3 decades. the governor gave a man on death row an indefinite pardon (until his term is over) a couple years ago. it's a real point of contention in the state. however, all the men on death row currently were sentenced in the district that james holmes is currently being tried in so i really doubt he will get a life sentence.

From the link:

"In a court filing made public this week, defense lawyers admitted that Holmes “was in the throes of a psychotic episode when he committed the acts..."

-------------------

---------------

How has it been proven that the journal was in his own handwriting? And even if he did write those incriminating words, it still doesn't put him in the theatre shooting a gun.

Did you know that JH rigged his apartment to blow up if anyone walked into it? He had planned that law enforcement would actually be at his apartment when he was committing the crime at the cinema? He had set up his music system to come on at a certain time and play techno music at top volume which would cause someone to call the police (which they did).

If anyone walked through the unlocked door they would have hit a trip wire which would have set off the explosives.

James Holmes told the police this after his arrest which was the only reason the entire apartment block didn't burn down.

From the link:

-------------------

---------------

He was apprehended at his car behind the theater (the only car back there) wearing tactical gear with weapons. He rigged his own apartment to explode via tripwire. He told police to go check it out. He made posts on his Adult Friend Finder account (with pics of his newly dyed red hair) a day(s) before the shootings saying "will you visit me in prison". His credit cards purchased all the ammo used in the shootings. Much of the ammo was delivered to his apartment and signed for by him. And the list goes on and on.

PS thanks for all the postings today guys lol. Much appreciated.

From the link:

-------------------

---------------

Well, first off...JH was willing to plead guilty if he could get life in prison and not the DP. But the Prosecution wouldn't accept that...so they went the insane route.

At least 55 victims/survivors of the theater shooting have testified about what they saw. They saw a man dressed head to toe in ballistic armor. He was then apprehended by police less than 2 minutes after the shooting started behind the theater, next to his car...where he had more guns.

He had a 38 minute interview with FBI Bomb techs, about 3:00pm the next day...explaining in GREAT detail how he had booby trapped his apartment - and why.

When they got to that apartment, where he is the only occupant, they found receipts for everything that was used in the theater and the apartment. They have tied those purchases to surveillance video that shows him making the purchases. There have been employees at the stores he shopped at that have testified he purchased the items.

Do you think the defense would say he is guilty...if they didn't know he was?

I get you might not have followed this case...but not sure what you are getting at with this line of questioning?? Well, actually I am pretty sure why...but this isn't a conspiracy website.

ETA - and yes, gun shot residue tests were done on his clothes and they all tested positive. That has been admitted. I want to say that ballistic testing has been admitted, but I could be wrong. It has been a long trial already and some of the more technical stuff doesn't hold my interest, though I have been listening every single day except for a few hours two weeks ago.

From the link:

-------------------

---------------

This link has information about the evidence they have for each of the counts he has been charged with: https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...8th_Courts/12CR1522/001/1102013 Order C19.pdf

:seeya: everyone. Still working on those pantry shelves that fell down. Moved everything out and removed shelving and the hardware. Going to patch and paint before I put them back up. Today is clean walls and patch day! I won't be able to post, but I will be listening to live streaming.

Thanks to all who are keeping the threads up to date.

I see we have some newcomers to the thread :wagon:

:tyou:

:seeya: everyone. Still working on those pantry shelves that fell down. Moved everything out and removed shelving and the hardware. Going to patch and paint before I put them back up. Today is clean walls and patch day! I won't be able to post, but I will be listening to live streaming.

Thanks to all who are keeping the threads up to date.

I see we have some newcomers to the thread :wagon:

:tyou:

OT
Hello Atthelake,

Good Luck with all the work on your shelves. I posted in the JA thread some funny "rules" I learned about some particle board shelves I had that crashed on me some years ago. Not sure what your shelves are made out of but if they are fastened to the back wall, make sure you attach them to studs behind the wallboard.

If they are free-standing shelves, then you dont have to worry about finding studs. They make a small "stud finder" tool that is like a magnet and can find studs behind walls. I use it all the time when hanging heavy pictures and stuff to a wall. Its so important to screw into a stud and not just the wallboard or panelling when hanging heavy stuff to a wall.

You probably know all this and just wanted to share. Good Luck with all the work you have.

OT
Hello Atthelake,

Good Luck with all the work on your shelves. I posted in the JA thread some funny "rules" I learned about some particle board shelves I had that crashed on me some years ago. Not sure what your shelves are made out of but if they are fastened to the back wall, make sure you attach them to studs behind the wallboard.

If they are free-standing shelves, then you dont have to worry about finding studs. They make a small "stud finder" tool that is like a magnet and can find studs behind walls. I use it all the time when hanging heavy pictures and stuff to a wall. Its so important to screw into a stud and not just the wallboard or panelling when hanging heavy stuff to a wall.

You probably know all this and just wanted to share. Good Luck with all the work you have.

I know this was aimed at ATL but I'm going to remember it. I need to attach freestanding shelves to one of my walls soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member