CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
More good points. Even our local dirt cheap prices grocery store has printed grocery bags. A gas station with a convenience store is the only place I can think of with non printed brown paper grocery bags. I think most restaurants now have plastic take out bags so food doesn't spill or drip. Except for chinese take out, which is usually stapled atop iirc.

It's a good size bag, especially in comparison with the screen shots posted where the chairs holding the crime scene tape are posted upthread.

Folding a bag like this one was folded would become easier if the bag became a bit moist from body heat or sweaty/warm hands.

Why are we sure it isn't an evidence bag? Do we know the bag has been sitting outside as long as the backpack was? If not, it's likely that the bag contains evidence.

Most items of evidence will be collected in paper containers such as packets, envelopes, and bags.

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/evidenc3.html#

OwlMom,

Can you answer a question?

How much time would it take Jessica to walk from her house to school?

TIA

score

Good point, I wonder if this child knew about the court hearing and got scared and ran away. I ran away as a child after my Father passed away, I was lucky a neighbor saw me. I am praying very hard for this little girl too.

As some have said the hearing could merely be about child support. Fairly certain this is the case.

Thank goodness your neighbor interceded!

9News at 9 report. Really emphasizes that kids may know something, talk to them, they won't be in trouble. Shows where backpack was in yard, and more.

10 PM report not posted yet.

Jessica's father's name is mentioned in this thread. Is there an explanation as to why Jessica's last name is different than her father's last name? I think that's unusual considering we heard there's a custody issue in progress as per mentioned in this thread too. Does Jessica live alone with her mother? Does she have siblings? Same father? She's ten, why custody battle now?

Just watching the 10 o'clock broadcast of 9 news. Nothing new mentioned....and no mention of the bag. They are saying that the man who found the backpack believes the backpack was there since last night, possibly around 1 a.m.? Don't know how he'd know that...
BBM
Maybe the man was up around 1:00 a.m., looked out his window and saw something in the yard but couldn't discern what it is was in the dark. After finding the backpack the next morning, he probably assumed it was the same object he saw during the night.

Jessica's father's name is mentioned in this thread. Is there an explanation as to why Jessica's last name is different than her father's last name? I think that's unusual considering we heard there's a custody issue in progress as per mentioned in this thread too. Does Jessica live alone with her mother? Does she have siblings? Same father? She's ten, why custody battle now?

There has been no explanation, that I have seen anyways. But often in unwed situations the mom will give the child her last name. So this could be possible for Jessica's situation.

Custody battles can take place at any time, there could be 10 custody battles by the time a child is 10. Keep in mind there are several things in this, custody, parenting time and child support. All are separate issues, and custody can be sole legal, joint legal or joint physical. A case can start out as sole, then someone can file for joint legal and later they can file for joint physical and again later they could file for sole or joint legal again.

It's not been confirmed what that custody hearing was actually on at this point. So it could have been on custody, parenting time or child support.

Why are we sure it isn't an evidence bag? Do we know the bag has been sitting outside as long as the backpack was? If not, it's likely that the bag contains evidence.

Most items of evidence will be collected in paper containers such as packets, envelopes, and bags.

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/evidenc3.html#

We don't know that it is not an evidence bag, but considering the chain of command and it just sitting there, IDK. It could be an evidence bag, we don't know.

9News doing a recap right now. So many cases get little to no coverage. So thankful for all the attention Jessica's getting.

Btw, they said no need for volunteers tomorrow at this time. Watch news & social media in case they find area to search & call for volunteers.

BBM
Maybe the man was up around 1:00 a.m., looked out his window and saw something in the yard but couldn't discern what it is was in the dark. After finding the backpack the next morning, he probably assumed it was the same object he saw during the night.

The news report from channel 9 (http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1884782568001) says that the man saw the backpack at around 1, but it's an area full of kids and he didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until morning, when nobody came back for it, that he and the other neighbor looked at it and sent out the email, thinking it just belonged to one of the neighborhood kids. That's why the flip tone to the email. As soon as they realized it was serious, they called the cops. (Paraphrasing the news report)

My son has my last name. I was never married to his father.
I did so because at the time it was unknown if his father would ever choose to be a part of his life.
My sons father did not excersize his rights until a month before our son turned 8. So a custody issue here isn't unsual to me at all. It could be they are putting an agreement together with the courts now to protect all of their rights.

Im coming in a little late on this, but ,the first video at this link,

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...eway-still-no-clues-after-3-days-of-searching

says LARGE paper bag containing the backpack. It shows the paper bag and it DOES appear to be large. Not lunch bag size.
I believe it was placed in the paperbag to not bring so much attention to it at first glance.
This is so,so, sad! Prayers that Jessica comes home soon!!

When my youngest daughter was in school, she was paranoid about getting kidnapped. She and I had a code word that only the two of us knew. She knew that if someone said they were supposed to pick her up or give her a ride, that she was NOT to go with them unless they knew the code word--even if it was someone she knew. (Unless it was her dad or siblings--she could go with them.) When she was old enough to drive, if she walked anywhere after dark, she talked to me on the cell phone while she was walking. She told me if she stopped talking during the walk, to call the police! Now that she is married and in another state, she still calls me late at night when she gets out of work and talks to me on the cell phone on the drive home alone out in the boondocks. She has to drive on some long, dark, scary roads to get home. I rarely drive anywhere my myself after dark but if I have to, I keep the car doors locked and my cell phone next to me and usually take my 95 pound German shepherd dog too. When I reach my destination, I call my husband and let him know I got there--and also call him when I leave for home too.

I have a message from the family (I am her cousin) that I want to be heard by everyone following this facebook and the twitter account.

I want to thank everyone for the incredible support pouring in from all over Facebook and twitter and everyone in the community. Seeing how many people standing together and are looking for my cousin has made me immensely proud and humbled. This is not simply a family crisis, it has evolved into a community crisis and everyone pulling together is truly inspiring. Please share this, with everyone and anyone. Thank you so much."

http://www.9news.com/news/article/293308/339/Missing-girls-backpack-found-in-Superior

I just want to mention that sometimes freezing weather can make a child a little more trusting than they would be otherwise.

My son has my last name. I was never married to his father.
I did so because at the time it was unknown if his father would ever choose to be a part of his life.
My sons father did not excersize his rights until a month before our son turned 8. So a custody issue here isn't unsual to me at all. It could be they are putting an agreement together with the courts now to protect all of their rights.

Yes I understand. When I read 'custody' I did think of a more traditional situation of when a married couple splits up and then they fight over the children's custody (due to whatever).

<modsnip>? Could be just double bad luck I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sshamrick2011