CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, thats what I thought too and said in another post. But I was then told the grandmother saw her leave the house. I am just trying to get the story straight here because I am not sure what we are allowed to post anymore. All I am trying to do is find a time line to when the last person saw her and who was the last person.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21820092/jessica-ridgeway-what-happened-colorado-girl

This article has been posted a few times today. It has a great timeline and is filled with all the information you need to help you get caught up. There's also a great search function here. Hope that helps.

Well, here's the thing - the family has been ruled out but that's about it. Everyone else is a suspect, no matter what their job title may be.

Maybe the mods can give us some guidance on this. In the press conference held after they identified Jessica's remains, I specificially remember the spokesperson for WPD saying that they believed this to be a stranger abduction, and when asked about that further stating something to the effect of all other possible suspects were ruled out. They seemed pretty straightforward about it, and they have proceeded with this as they would in a stranger abduction case. I take that to mean that people like J's friends father, the man who found the backpack, and other minor players who we know of, are ruled out. And therefore should not be sleuthed.

Some clarification from mods on this issue would be much appreciated!

BBM

I understand what Meri is saying, however for WS purposes, none of those people are sleuthable here. They are presumed to be innocent and/or victims.

I know it is frustrating because everyone wants an arrest so badly, but there is no legitimate reason to suspect any of these people. What people choose to do off of WS is their own business, but we're not going to post about it publicly here.

The poor guy who called in the tip about the backpack was probably just doing his civic duty. Not anything different than any one of us would do if we had found it first. What if that were one of us? Would we want people sleuthing everything about us and posting it on the web? None of these presumably innocent people deserve that. We will respect their privacy here.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21820092/jessica-ridgeway-what-happened-colorado-girl

This article has been posted a few times today. It has a great timeline and is filled with all the information you need to help you get caught up. There's also a great search function here. Hope that helps.

Seconded. If anyone still hasn't read this article, I'd really recommend doing so. There's no need to speculate/wonder about some of the more established facts of the case, and this is a great write up all in one spot. Familiarity with the facts may also help lower the temperature around here.

There are those who think the FIRST SEARCH AREA was getting too close for comfort for the perp. He put the backpack where it could be found to MOVE THE SEARCH AREA!!!
Do you understand what I'm trying to convey? I don't know how to make this any clearer but I will continue to try!

Here's the thing, if you go out late at night to dump the book bag, why not also take the body at that time? It seems silly to take the book bag out at night, wait for it to be called in and then during day time when it's called in take the body and dump it.

I see no urgency to get the bag away from him. He can simply store the bag where he has the body. The bag had to have been a taunt or to clear some space so he could dispose the body.

That said if it was left past midnight, then the search was done for that day and he had a clear route to dump the remains.

Unless he dumped the bag and then waited for the call to get the bag which would then risk it being during the day and him being spotted.

I think you've defined the most likely reasons the backpack was placed. It could be that he was getting nervous about LE getting closer or it could be a taunt.

I disagree that he could keep it for long. LE has searched literally 100s of homes in the area, so keeping the backpack for long would be foolish.

He may have been listening to a scanner in order to judge where LE activity was focused.

It almost had to have been left after dark. The homeowner said it wasn't there at approximately 6:30 pm when they left the house and sunset that day was at 6:41 pm.

A general question to any locals: my impression was that the Denver metro area had had some hard frosts before 5 October. Is Colorado like Iowa, where one good hard frost (2 hours at or below 28 F) pretty much finishes off insect activity until spring?

Thanks, do you have links for those?

This thread is moving so quickly I must've missed them.

TIA

Post #281 in thread #14 attempted to compile all missing persons/attempted abductions etc. With suspected vehicles and locations and timelines.

The Amber Alert automated call came in to houses in the area around 9:30, if I recall. It was kind of hard to understand what the computerized voice was saying and I had to have it repeated.
I didn't get an Amber Alert automated call, but we did receive a reverse-911 call around 6 pm (maybe sooner, maybe a little later) that they were looking for her in the area.

I'm sure he didn't know she was missing I just don't get how someone can be that unaware.
The main thing I'm getting out of this is this. The bag was dumped Saturday night, maybe after the search and rescue effort stopped in an area where they hadn't searched. Based on what someone said the bag was found just outside of the perimeter. This tells me that it could have been a search member.
Fox- Would you hear helicopter's flying outside in your town? Or see possible roadblocks? I commend you for being so informed Nationally but personally I also want to know what's going on in my town. Not sure how you do it :)
Two things: (1) That neighborhood is in a different county, in a different city, in a different school district, and over a good-sized ridge that provides some psychological distance as well. Superior is not part of Westminster's "community." Arvada and Westminster, on the other hand, are pretty much indistinguishable, our trail systems connect to each other, etc. So on Saturday, no one was searching there, no helicopters were flying there, and there were no roadblocks there on Saturday either. Anyone who wanted to go to the store in Superior would have headed north to the stores in that area; there are very few reasons anyone from Superior would have headed into Westminster. (2) Maybe the perp was a search member, but it would have been just as easy for someone to watch what was being searched. The search parties were quite visible from roads in the Westminster area (but not at all visible in the Superior area).

Hundreds of bikes in the parking lot at the Quaker steak & lube at 104th & US 36 memorial ride for Jessica Ridgeway.
There were a ton of bikes on the ride. I saw tons and tons headed north on Wadsworth, but didn't realize it was in connection with this ride at first.

I don't live in Westminster, but we have a basically an e-mail bulletin board sponsored by our HOA where homeowners can leave messages, etc. It doesn't cost anything (but assume the cost is covered in our HOA fees).
The paper reported the email bulletin board incorrectly (several times, actually, including in today's Denver Post article). The backpack was reported on a Superior email bulletin board. Westminster doesn't have one.

If he's a random guy that just caught a break then why do they make a connection to the jogger case. When did that take place? That seemed planned with the chemical agent on the rag and all.
It was probably planned in that he planned to incapacitate a female runner on Memorial Day using a chemical-soaked rag, but he probably wasn't stalking a specific runner so much as someone who looked to be easy prey at a moment when no one else was in sight to witness the event. There are a lot of runners, so the challenge was probably waiting until no one was around as a witness rather than picking out targets.

(do you guys ever utilize the wiki format some forums use, for individual cases? I'd be happy to contribute to such a thing. Seems like it would be great for timeline, LE statements, the "attempted abductions" list, etc)

Are we allowed to ask how far her grandmother saw her walk away from the house. What distance away was she before eyes were taken off of her. I saw in another post it was grandma that saw her leave home for school.

I think that post must have been speculation, since Sarah Ridgeway's interview didn't mention her mother watching Jessica that morning.

Sarah said something along the lines that Jessica walked through the door, closed it and Sarah did not see her again.

It was heartbreaking to watch that interview. Sarah is a great lady with a generous heart.

Here's the thing, if you go out late at night to dump the book bag, why not also take the body at that time? It seems silly to take the book bag out at night, wait for it to be called in and then during day time when it's called in take the body and dump it.

Ok, I'm not going to keep going round and round here and some of the questions you are asking do not have an answer...except, until and when someone is arrested and there is a trial, but I'm wondering if you are aware that LE was also conducting door to door searches in the area of Jessica's home. They were also searching in the Standley lake area and it was reported that some evidence was found in that location. Trying to think like a perp, if I thought LE might just knock on my door because they found something down the road from my house, I might just take the backpack and dump it a few miles north of her house...where NO searches were ongoing at that time! I might also do that if I was going to move a dismembered body so I had LESS risk of getting pulled over and questioned by LE....move the focus, so to speak.

I think you've defined the most likely reasons the backpack was placed. It could be that he was getting nervous about LE getting closer or it could be a taunt.

I disagree that he could keep it for long. LE has searched literally 100s of homes in the area, so keeping the backpack for long would be foolish.

He may have been listening to a scanner in order to judge where LE activity was focused.

It almost had to have been left after dark. The homeowner said it wasn't there at approximately 6:30 pm when they left the house and sunset that day was at 6:41 pm.

A general question to any locals: my impression was that the Denver metro area had had some hard frosts before 5 October. Is Colorado like Iowa, where one good hard frost (2 hours at or below 28 F) pretty much finishes off insect activity until spring?

There is no reason at all that he couldn't have simply taken the body and the backpack at the same time. I believe most likely they were transported together and her body was dumped after the back pack was dumped.

He might have had his reasons which we have no way of knowing what they might be.

What kind of insect activity? We don't have that much insect activity to begin with, at least compared to the midwest or out east, but there are still bugs crawling around out there--spiders at least. I wish the frost would have finished them off.

Local gossip:
I was just at a school event and listened in on two women talking about this case. One of the women said she drove past Jessica's house on Friday (totally tacky, IMO), and that there were still cop cars there (5) and that they were videoing every car that drove past, and taking down plate numbers.
Smart of them. Yet so very sad. She said the house was all decorated for Halloween. :(

I think that post must have been speculation, since Sarah Ridgeway's interview didn't mention her mother watching Jessica that morning.

Sarah said something along the lines that Jessica walked through the door, closed it and Sarah did not see her again.

It was heartbreaking to watch that interview. Sarah is a great lady with a generous heart.

Thank you! And I added to the confusion earlier when I misspoke briefly. I have since edited my own post.

I'm wondering about the person who said they checked 100's of houses. Did the police physically go into the house without a warrant or did they knock on the door and move on if someone wasn't home? I get that they would want statements from everyone but did they physically enter the house and check?

Maybe the mods can give us some guidance on this. In the press conference held after they identified Jessica's remains, I specificially remember the spokesperson for WPD saying that they believed this to be a stranger abduction, and when asked about that further stating something to the effect of all other possible suspects were ruled out. They seemed pretty straightforward about it, and they have proceeded with this as they would in a stranger abduction case. I take that to mean that people like J's friends father, the man who found the backpack, and other minor players who we know of, are ruled out. And therefore should not be sleuthed.

Some clarification from mods on this issue would be much appreciated!

You guys are taking my post too literally, which is my fault for wording it that way. Someone killed Jessica. Until we know who that person is, in my mind, he could be a cop, he could be a doctor, he could be a student. We just don't know, period. We only know who has been ruled out at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT1510