CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rate at which these sorts of things is no different from years ago, the only difference is that back then most news was local whereas now it is national. All those cases you never heard of back then (because they were somewhere else in the country) you hear about now. So it seems like there is more, but not really.

A case like this, no matter how tragic, every two weeks still makes it a pretty rare occurrence. Something like a few dozen out of 45-60 million. Kids are far more likely to be killed in a motor car accident, or shot by someone they know, than be abducted and killed by a stranger.

I sometimes question the validity of statistics when it comes to these types of crimes. I know LE and other public safety agencies do NOT want to create a public panic regarding child abductions etc. I understand that yes there is national media...however, there was national media 20 years ago too. Sure, more reporting of it may seem as if there are more...but I also wonder about true statistics. How many of these go unreported? How many are "misunderstandings"?

Even though the rate of these may be low I still feel that people accept a car accident...they can "get" those things happening. Shootings can also be accidents...which people can accept (hunting). But these situations with abductions or murders? Very few people in this world can turn a blind eye and say "hmmm..well that's unfortunate, but statistically speaking it was bound to happen and we just have to accept it."

I know I'm probably wrong, but I just have a gut feeling that these abductions...successful or not...are on the rise...not to mention child abductions.:banghead:

bbm, You know the first time I saw this it stuck out like a sore thumb, then I thought maybe its regional then I thought that would be stupid. I know that using that "light skinned" term tells me nothing. I think it is sad when we are looking for a "predator" we should be clear as to who we are looking for. jmo

I agree, because "light skinned" means something totally different depending on the ethnicity of the person. A light-skinned white guy is different from a light-skinned Hispanic guy (and certainly from a light-skinned black guy).

JMO

I agree, because "light skinned" means something totally different depending on the ethnicity of the person. A light-skinned white guy is different from a light-skinned Hispanic guy (and certainly from a light-skinned black guy).

JMO

Instead of "light skinned", why can't they just say, "white man"?

I

If LE believes that attempted abduction at the Lake and Jessica's case are related then that suspect would want to show up and clear off if he is not related to Jessica's case...

or they have a POI and watching him closely.

Seriously? A man that used a chemical during the attack of a jogger is going to come forward and admit to this crime so he can be eliminated as a suspect in the murder of Jessica? That's not going to happen ... and there is no known suspect, or person of interest.

Furthermore, he is connected to Jessica's murder.

http://kdvr.com/2012/10/21/exclusiv...uspect-linked-to-unsolved-attack-sources-say/

Monday, in response to FOX31 Denver’s report, police confirmed a “definitive” link to an attack on a jogger at Ketner Lake at the end of May. Police declined to say whether that link was DNA to protect the integrity of the investigation.

That case remains unsolved.

The victim in the Ketner Lake incident provided a description of her attacker:
— White male
— 18-30 years old
— 5’6″-5’8″ tall
— Average build
— Brown hair

The link suggests the killer’s behavior may be escalating targeting both women and children.

The DNA link also explains why police have gone door-to-door in Jessica’s neighborhood collecting DNA samples.

Instead of "light skinned", why can't they just say, "white man"?

I thought at first they meant that ethnicity is indeterminate--perhaps he was white, perhaps he was Hispanic. But now I'm getting the sense that they meant he was Hispanic, but not dark-skinned?

JMO

ETA: No, I'm back to thinking it means that they aren't sure whether he is "white" or Hispanic.

Posted on Westminster PD Facebook Page in case any of you missed them.

Westminster PD
10 hours ago
We can also say that there were receipts collected during the investigation. We can say that they were NOT found at Patridge Park and are not related to the Jessica Ridgeway investigation. Investigators were at King Soopers, however they were following up on several other tips.
http://www.facebook.com/westminsterpolice/posts/10151362526459305

Westminster PD
10 hours ago
Westminster Police have definitively made a connection between the Ketner lake incident and the Jessica Ridgeway murder. We cannot go into details about the connection to preserve the integrity of the case.
http://www.facebook.com/westminsterpolice/posts/10151362522364305

I don't think we would see much of this crap anymore if the laws would change and anyone caught harming a child would get prision and castration.:jail:

Awarding the wrongly convicted millions of dollars is a compensation of sorts for the time they lost from their lives, the stress they underwent, the trauma of prison, etc. It doesn't make up for things like lost relationships but at least it helps with the practical side of life.

But I can't think of any way to compensate someone wrongly convicted and castrated before exoneration.

Ahd I speak as someone who was raped when I was 12 years old.

She sounds like an absolute gem of a child!

And... from everything I've read about Jessica from the people who knew her, very like Jessica.

If extra hugs are in order, please pass one along from me.

And for you, my sincerest wish for peace and wisdom through this scary time.
This is in reply to Grannie from the last thread, sorry to take so long, we've been having Internet drama! Thank you for your kind words! She is a real gem (or can be, like most children I guess!). So much about Jessica has reminded me of my own DD. From her love of school, wanting to make her own lunches, wanting to walk to school and thinking she is a teenager rather than a child. My DD begs me everyday to walk the 5 minutes to school, but I just can't let her. For one it is pointless because I have two younger school age boys that I have to drive. Not just for the safety aspect but they would behave like only 5 and 7 year old boys can when together. The other reason is my husband would have kittens! He sees danger and peadophiles lurking around every corner.

Being half the world away I felt like we had a real buffer from the danger of what happened to Jessica but recently we had a note home about a white car following a primary school aged girl. I only hope I don't end up like my husband and live in fear but can remain alert but not alarmed (as the Australian government liked to say!)

I sometimes question the validity of statistics when it comes to these types of crimes. I know LE and other public safety agencies do NOT want to create a public panic regarding child abductions etc. I understand that yes there is national media...however, there was national media 20 years ago too. Sure, more reporting of it may seem as if there are more...but I also wonder about true statistics. How many of these go unreported? How many are "misunderstandings"?

Even though the rate of these may be low I still feel that people accept a car accident...they can "get" those things happening. Shootings can also be accidents...which people can accept (hunting). But these situations with abductions or murders? Very few people in this world can turn a blind eye and say "hmmm..well that's unfortunate, but statistically speaking it was bound to happen and we just have to accept it."

I know I'm probably wrong, but I just have a gut feeling that these abductions...successful or not...are on the rise...not to mention child abductions.:banghead:

I don't turn a blind eye but I do accept that one of the prices of living in a comparatively free society is crime.

If everyone had to wear a GPS locator anklet all the time, crime would no doubt decrease. I'm not willing to pay that price, though.

I can't help but to be a bit upset by the earliest statements made by LE. For at least 48 hours they seemed to mislead the public that there was no immediate danger.
Imagine if harm had come to someone else?

Awarding the wrongly convicted millions of dollars is a compensation of sorts for the time they lost from their lives, the stress they underwent, the trauma of prison, etc. It doesn't make up for things like lost relationships but at least it helps with the practical side of life.

But I can't think of any way to compensate someone wrongly convicted and castrated before exoneration.

Ahd I speak as someone who was raped when I was 12 years old.

I am sorry Grainne.

I don't turn a blind eye but I do accept that one of the prices of living in a comparatively free society is crime.

If everyone had to wear a GPS locator anklet all the time, crime would no doubt decrease. I'm not willing to pay that price, though.

bbm
O/T I agree 100%.... but as I see it we are/can be tracked as it is. CC, any discount card, cell phones, ATM card, all are tracking you as you go about daily life. And as we speak no one is complaining about the drones that are now in use.

One of the things that really hurts my brain I cases like these is when people say, for example, "if Jessica's mum had just driven her it wouldn't have happened". Which is true, It might not have happened to Jessica, but it would have happened to someone. I don't think the guy was driving past, saw an unaccompanied child and thought "hmm, there is a child, I might give murder a shot today". I would think that if you are driven to kill then you would be on the hunt. It might not have been Jessica, it might have been the girl it he next street over, or the next street over, he might have gone for a woman alone is park, or a boy on a bike. But it would have been someone. Maybe not that day, or even the next... But someone would have died in her place. He wouldn't have just given up on his fantasy because Jessica wasn't available. That's what upsets me, because I think by keeping my kids safe then everything will be ok, but it won't, it will just be someone else's child. No where is ever going to be child/woman/victim free.

It's not like in child abuse or domestic violence cases where you can think "if only someone noticed" it could have been prevented because they were only targeting a specific person. A predator like this is about the thrill and the hunt, not that one person.

I'm probably not making any sense. I have spent the entire day at the kids sports carnival and I am burnt to buggery! Damn my red hair and insanely pale skin.

new thread..this one will close in about five minutes:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188708"]Found Deceased CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #17 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

bbm
O/T I agree 100%.... but as I see it we are/can be tracked as it is. CC, any discount card, cell phones, ATM card, all are tracking you as you go about daily life. And as we speak no one is complaining about the drones that are now in use.

Um... well... Drones are a political minefield that is off topic here.

I am willing to voluntarily trade some of my privacy for convenience but I don't wish to be compelled to do so.

What I really resent is when one company takes my information and sells it to another company. The least they could do is send me a kickback! LOL!

http://kdvr.com/2012/10/21/exclusiv...uspect-linked-to-unsolved-attack-sources-say/

Monday, in response to FOX31 Denver’s report, police confirmed a “definitive” link to an attack on a jogger at Ketner Lake at the end of May. Police declined to say whether that link was DNA to protect the integrity of the investigation.

That case remains unsolved.

The victim in the Ketner Lake incident provided a description of her attacker:
— White male
— 18-30 years old
— 5’6″-5’8″ tall
— Average build
— Brown hair

The link suggests the killer’s behavior may be escalating targeting both women and children.

The DNA link also explains why police have gone door-to-door in Jessica’s neighborhood collecting DNA samples.

Seems fairly obvious that they have DNA linking Jessica's abduction/murder to an attack on a jogger at Ketner Lake at the end of May, imo.

RE: Police declined to say whether that link was DNA to protect the integrity of the investigation..

At what point does the Public's safety trump the integrity of this misinvestigation? Public Safety is the saving of lives and property.. Without safety for our families and loved ones, we have nothing.. Using a structure fire as an analogy. This situation has escalated into a full blown conflagration, imo..
I am so frustrated due to the silence by investigators in the previous abduction attempts.. When will they ever learn?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oukFxvpUz1c"]Caterina-Where have all the flowers gone - YouTube[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288