CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #24 *GUILTY PLEA*

There is really no reason that a trial should take any longer than that. I have seen quite complicated murder trials involving DNA results and other complicated evidence be completed in this area in less than 3 weeks and that includes jury selection. We often see these trials (often out of California) where jury selection takes weeks and the trial takes months. That is virtually unheard of around here.

How much does media coverage/high-profile-ness of a case factor into how long the trial is going to be? Do the number of reporters who attend the trial play any role in how role it lasts? Or is it just a coincidence that the more high-profile a trial, the longer it seems to last?

Yeah, I was thinking of the Samantha Runnion case when I said the trial might take 2-3 years to start...and her case was in California.

This is precisely why I hate defense attorneys. His attorney knows he is guilty and evil, but whatever legal maneuver this is supposed to be for, he obviously doesn't care about the victim's family at all.

Wtf.......

sixteen family and friends of jessica's, all wearing her favorite color, purple, were in the court, and sigg smiled awkwardly at them as deputies led him in. As he left the hearing, he was turned around to face jessica's supporters as deputies handcuffed him, and he again smiled awkwardly at them.

It is pretty unclear what the evidence is. The DA is not telling us much, understandably. There are a few reasons to keep that charge on there. The want as many convictions as possible to make his prison stay as long as possible. But almost certainly he will eventually get out of prison. With a sexual assault conviction, and sex offender status, there could be better options to to control/track him. Now, if the evidence is in fact very weak, then I would agree with you that it should perhaps be traded away for the guilty plea.

The question is, do you really want to put her family through all of the gory details of a trial that would last a year or more, and appeals that would last forever?

As for the evidence. My understanding so far is that they found no evidence of sexual assault. Prosecutors added the sexual assault charges because they found three child *advertiser censored* pictures on computer hard drives at Austin Sigg's home. I can't see how that would be enough evidence to convict him of sexual assault charges. It seems to me that it would be better to just get it over, and give him his 40 years.

Prosecutors added the sexual assault charges because authorities said they found child *advertiser censored* during the investigation.

The question is, do you really want to put her family through all of the gory details of a trial that would last a year or more, and appeals that would last forever?

As for the evidence. My understanding so far is that they found no evidence of sexual assault. Prosecutors added the sexual assault charges because they found three child *advertiser censored* pictures on computer hard drives at Austin Sigg's home. I can't see how that would be enough evidence to convict him of sexual assault charges. It seems to me that it would be better to just get it over, and give him his 40 years.

Prosecutors added the sexual assault charges because authorities said they found child *advertiser censored* during the investigation.

Wow, I did not know that was the sole reason the prosecutors added the sexual assault charge. It actually wouldn't surprise me if Sigg didn't assault Jessica; I think he might have just wanted to kill and dismember someone. I really don't understand how they expect to get a conviction on those charges now.

Also, is it just me or does 3 pictures seem very low? NOT excusing it...It's just normally you hear about people having hundreds or thousands of images. You would think someone browsing for kiddie *advertiser censored* would end up with more than 3 pictures on their computer.

Wow, I did not know that was the sole reason the prosecutors added the sexual assault charge. It actually wouldn't surprise me if Sigg didn't assault Jessica; I think he might have just wanted to kill and dismember someone. I really don't understand how they expect to get a conviction on those charges now.

Also, is it just me or does 3 pictures seem very low? NOT excusing it...It's just normally you hear about people having hundreds or thousands of images. You would think someone browsing for kiddie *advertiser censored* would end up with more than 3 pictures on their computer.

Yes, there was evidence of sexual assault.

SEX ASSAULT NURSE TESTIFIES

The second witness was Anissa Jones. Jones is a sexual assault nurse examiner.

Jones testified about her forensic exam of Jessica's remains. She said Jessica's body had multiple bruises and lacerations on it.

"I believe there was some sort of penetration that occurred," Jones testified.

The defense team clarified that no semen or sperm was discovered during the exam.

During Jones' testimony, Jessica's mother kept closing her eyes. It was visibly difficult for her to hear the testimony.

http://www.9news.com/dontmiss/318631/630/Suspect-in-Ridgeway-killing-Im-a-monster

It's my understanding from what I've read over the years that it's common in these kinds of murders that there are wounds found on the genitals and/or anus that show sexual assault, but no semen is found. These freaks use objects to torture the victim. Jessica was bruised and cut.

:twocents:

If you look in the charging document, you see 18 charges including the sexual assault charges.

Later, 3 additional charges of sexual exploitation were added for the child *advertiser censored*.

The number does not matter.

Thanks, hawkeye, for the link to the sketch. I can't draw a good stick man, so I am always in awe of those who can. And for me, I consider sketching or drawing of any type of known people, the most difficult of all. Just shaking my head & wondering "How can someone do that?" Just amazement & fascination. Beautiful job on the likeness -- for all its good and bad (the bad is for the subject, of course, in this case). Very fine likeness. Thank you!

I agree, greg -- IIRC, AS was under 18 when he committed these crimes -- If I am wrong about that, then my forthcoming argument won't be as strong. The US Supreme Court said that Life/LWOP was not to be given to those who were less than 18y/o at the time of the crime. So, IMO, they need to charge him with everything they can so that he will have a long string of time to serve. I have seen, in NC, those who certainly were over 18 at the time of their crimes, sentenced to, for example, 30 years for rape + 10 years for burglary + 20 years for kidnapping + LWOP, each to be served consecutively. This seemingly unnecessary consecutive sentencing is, IMO, a type of "insurance" for the State in case the LWOP is overturned, and it is a way to show that the particular defendant has committed the worst type of crimes. It's not always done, but I certainly have seen it.

I would have to agree on a penalty for this man if the sexual assault was omitted, if I were the prosecutor. Avoiding a trial would be a great thing if it could be done with severe penalties for this man.

The Supreme Court ruled that mandatory LWOP sentences cannot be handed down to juveniles. Example: Here in LA, the sentence for 1st degree murder is LWOP. So if a juvenile commits 1st degree murder, the jury or judge sentencing can hand down a lesser sentence but they can also still sentence the juvenile to LWOP. There has to be other options besides the "mandatory LWOP" sentence.
But CO is different and the max I believe they said Sigg will serve of convicted is 40 years.

What if those pictures on the computer were of Jessica?
ONE is too many!

Why in the world would the DA not charge the <unusual person> with sexual assault if the DA truly believes that Jessica was sexually assaulted? Good grief! :steamed:

What if those pictures on the computer were of Jessica?
ONE is too many!

Like I said in my original post, I am not excusing the pictures. Just that you would think that someone who was browsing/downloading child *advertiser censored* would end up with more than three pictures on his computer. It was just an observation. Let's not act like I think having "just a few" kiddie *advertiser censored* pictures is okay. I don't; That's why my original post started off with "NOT excusing".

That's what I'm thinking too. Since there were only 3, he probably created them rather than downloaded them. :(

Is there a link on here somewhere that shows there were only 3 pictures? I'm not doubting what people are saying, but I thought I had read that they took 3 hard drives and there were pictures on each of them. I'd just like to read it to see how I read it so differently than everyone else seems to have. :blushing: If there isn't already one posted fairly recently, I'll just look for it back farther. TIA

ETA: Never mind, I found it. It was 3 hard drives.

All three hard drives were taken to the sheriff's office lab in Boulder to be examined. All three had pictures on them of underage boys and girls exposing their private parts.
http://www.9news.com/dontmiss/318631/630/Suspect-in-Ridgeway-killing-Im-a-monster

Imo, due to the silence by the justice system in this case, AS'S juvenile *advertiser censored* history, coupled with his courtroom taunting smile/smirk to the Ridgeway family paints a very dark picture. Imo, transparency by the justice system in AS's past would be an indictment against them, and would reflect on their past incompetent decisions and actions.

It is not uncommon for a fantasy driven escalated evil sadistic psychopath; as is AS, imo, to use objects, or to practice necrophilia and/or other post and premortem sexual violence...
AS's obvious lack of empathy for his victim/family indicates his ability in the dehumanization of his innocent victim/s.. AS is void of virtually all normal human emotions, imo.
Imo, AS's motives were overlapping; hedonistic, lust, thrill, and the ultimate power/control over the life/death of others..
Sex was his primary motive and fantasy played a prominent role in this senseless killing. The sexual gratification by AS was dependent on the amount of torture and mutilation that he could inflict on his victim, imo.

Imo, Jessica Ridgeway was not AS's first or only innocent victim...
Retired FBI BAU Roger L. Depue Quote:

My work has given me a profound respect for what humans suffer at the hands of evil, and a particular sensitivity for what its victims endure. During every investigation that I participate in, there is always an invisible observer at my shoulder, whose presence I never forget. Regardless of the circumstances of a case, I am always giving voice to its silent victim.

What must this young girl&#8217;s final minutes have been like? Did she cry out while he was repeatedly stabbing her, or keep silent, breathing like a wounded animal, watching for the next glint of a blade? Did her thoughts turn to her parents in those final seconds, when she was overwhelmed by the deepest loneliness she had ever known? Did she experience a dissociative response, the sense of drifting upward and watching her own death as if from above? Or did she sink mercifully into unconsciousness, and feel nothing as her life ebbed away?
http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.com/2007/01/between-good-and-evil-by-roger-l.html

I have wondered ever since we have heard about her being sexually assaulted or injured in those areas, etc., that AS denied doing whatever was done because he didn't want his mother to think that he did. Not giving him any credit when I say this, but maybe he was actually ashamed of that part of his dealings with little Jessica. A son stating that he did violate her -- confessing this in front of his mother -- would be terribly difficult for some men since it is so personal, sexual, and so seemingly hate- or rage-filled. Murder, for some perpetrators, can seem almost non-personal; you have got to get rid of the evidence, so murder is the first step. So you do it.

But rape or some similar type of sexual violation is not mandatory, and it is so personal. Personal of the worst type. I think AS did not want his mother to think of him being able to do that type of act to a child -- kidnapping, tying her up and murder is bad enuff. Maybe he was just too chicken-hearted, or he felt like it might be a violation against his mother as well. And somehow, I think it is a violation to all women. Jessica Ridgeway the person was no one to him -- the next little girl he saw would have been okay to do all those things to - it didn't matter who -- as long as it was someone he felt he could handle physically. Murder is a violation to all people, too. Again, this in no way is a statement of mitigation for him, it is, IMO, simply the reason he denied it; he even gave details of the rest of what he did, but not the sexual part. I don't think his denial should in any way reduce or alter our credence of what the medical professionals have stated.

In most cases with which I am familiar, the testimony of the medical personnel who find evidence of some type of sexual assault or injury, whether semen is found or not, seems to be accurate. And if they are not sure, the professional will state it. So I believe what they say about the evidence that they found. It absolutely must, IMO, be prosecuted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back