GUILTY CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, found deceased, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020* #2

I just went back and re-listened to an episode with Norris’ interview to make sure I was remembering this right. He does mention it as well, so I agree I don’t think that can be used to show guilt.
Half the town probably knew this detail, just takes one person to tell another and soon it spreads. I see no solid evidence Pankey committed this murder, only an ex wife's comments of his interest in the case and a clue about the crime that many probably knew from gossip.
This does not make him a murderer and I agree that Norris makes a better suspect.

So, I am new to this forum or any other for that matter. But I was so aggravated about the Steve panky case involving jonelle matthews murder and the lack of proof in his conviction. Wondering if there is something I missed. Granted the guy is very strange but thankfully that's not a crime. Does anyone know if he had an alibi? Or what the jailhouse informant got out of the deal?

So, I am new to this forum or any other for that matter. But I was so aggravated about the Steve panky case involving jonelle matthews murder and the lack of proof in his conviction. Wondering if there is something I missed. Granted the guy is very strange but thankfully that's not a crime. Does anyone know if he had an alibi? Or what the jailhouse informant got out of the deal?
Welcome to Websleuths @Cyndip!
He wrote his own unsolicited alibi letter. I don’t know if the jailhouse informant received anything. Maybe someone else can weigh in. I just learned of this case from the recent Dateline episode.

In 2013, Pankey allegedly sent an “alibi” document to law enforcement, claiming that he was in California on Dec. 21, 1984, the morning after Jonelle went missing. “The document contained false statements and superfluous details,” according to the indictment.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article246429250.html#storylink=cpy

PANKEY, STEVEN D
Name:PANKEY, STEVEN D
Ethnicity:WHITE
Hair Color:BLONDE
Eye Color:GRAY
Height:5' 10"
Weight:182
DOC Number: 195622
Est. Parole
Eligibility Date:
10/01/2040
Next Parole
Hearing Date:
Nov 2040
This offender is scheduled on the Parole Board agenda for the month and year above. Please contact the facility case manager for the exact date.
Est. Mandatory
Release Date:
01/20/9999
Est. Sentence
Discharge Date:
Current Facility
Assignment:
ARKANSAS VALLEY CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
CURRENT CONVICTIONS
Sentence DateSentence CountyCase No.
10/31/2022 Life with Parole WELD 20CR1866
*for the record

Welcome to Websleuths @Cyndip!
He wrote his own unsolicited alibi letter. I don’t know if the jailhouse informant received anything. Maybe someone else can weigh in. I just learned of this case from the recent Dateline episode.

In 2013, Pankey allegedly sent an “alibi” document to law enforcement, claiming that he was in California on Dec. 21, 1984, the morning after Jonelle went missing. “The document contained false statements and superfluous details,” according to the indictment.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article246429250.html#storylink=cpy
The morning after is irrelevant. He could have flown or driven all night to get to CA from Colorado.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paladeer
Back