Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by amber1, Dec 3, 2009.

1. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

He submitted DNA is it possible some of his was preserved in her clothing ?

2. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

I bet they’ve interviewed his ex wife. Who packed the car?

3. SandyQLS

SandyQLS may your life be filled with acorns

I am glad you posted that for posterity since things on the web have a habit of morphing or disappearing ;)

Pankey is such a liar. He is 68 y.o. now so he was likely 3 y.o. during the McCarthy hearings in 1954. Sen. McCarthy was censured by the end of the same year and died suddenly in 1957, after which his name is a mere footnote in history and at which time Pankey was likely 6 y.o. I really doubt the senate hearings were all that meaningful to a toddler learning to not wet his pants, ride a tricycle, ABC's... :rolleyes:

<modsnip: going off topic> Pankey considers himself some sort of Superman, but not in the sense of unsung hero-protector but rather a sinister sociopathic narcissistic who believes he is smarter than everyone else, has a secret life that he is able to keep hidden. Pankey isn't smart enough to realize his takeaway on Clark Kent is a completely abnormal response to the story.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2019
  4. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well-Known Member

The digital age with cell phones and personal computers, etc., was barely in its infancy. It was still a year or two before I got my first desktop computer at the office or home (386SX, 2 Meg memory, 20 Meg HD, $3,000) and I was all in with IT then. Would be extremely surprised if anything is uncovered that has been repeatedly carried forward all these years. Journals, diaries, etc. more likely but judging by his demeanor it is doubtful. DNA IMO is the key. Fingers crossed.

5. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

He says he submitted DNA. By there is this below. He is such an odd duck. He claims his innocence. But is loving the attention. All moo.

1984 Greeley cold case given new life as former Idaho gov. candidate comes under investigation

Snip-Pankey ran in the 2018 Republican primary and told the newspaper that the search came roughly a month after he gave police a DNA sample however Greeley Police told FOX31 that "at no point in time was a request made by law enforcement to obtain Steve Pankey's DNA."

6. Lore Listener

Lore Listener So many crimes, so little time

YES. Thank you. This dude is oozing narcissism/god complex/control freak. Plus history of violence against women? Wow.

Being that he has been a POI for many years, and how hard it is to prosecute no-body homicide, I think they may have way more circumstantial evidence than we know about. Simple proof of the victim being dead and in the vicinity of hers and the POI's homes might then be enough to really get the ball rolling again. MOO, of course.

7. Lore Listener

Lore Listener So many crimes, so little time

Speaking of lying. I only spent about 10-15 minutes searching, but I'm a somewhat decent researcher, and I can't find any corroborating evidence that the son was murdered at all, let alone specifically shot to death by a girlfriend. I found evidence of his death in 2008 (although, weirdly, no obit) but the only hits on murder, being shot, or girlfriend were in Pankey's own words. 2008 wasn't that long ago, and all news was on the internet by then. Wouldn't girlfriend be arrested, have a trial, or sentencing even if she plead guilty? Police blotter? Something? A 20-year-old shot to death in a domestic incident in a major city and zip--radio silence from authorities? I'm not trying to sleuth the son; I just think it's odd Pankey's own word is the only evidence anywhere of this major crime having ever occurred.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2019
  8. Iamlysaloo

Iamlysaloo Active Member

Or go to true people search .com type in his name and Greely, CO. He’s the only one that comes up. You can click on a button that shows all of his previous addresses. His last address in Greeley is a weird place.

bluenoser, neesaki, watcher9 and 4 others like this.
  9. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Well-Known Member

Better information; thanks for that.

Yes, it seems to be a weird place. I can't tell if that area is residential or not.

neesaki, watcher9, Jim_M and 4 others like this.
  10. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

In post #6 there is mention of DNA. The link provided at the time (many years ago) from The Denver Channel no longer works. However, I snipped a paragraph from that post. No DNA at the scene but I am also very curious to know if any was preserved on her clothing.

Goldschmidt said Jonelle's DNA is on the national database now, in case something turns up, but they had no DNA from a suspect at the scene of her abduction. Her photo -- and an "age progressed" photo of what she would look like at 37 years old can be found on the Web site for The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

neesaki, Niner, watcher9 and 6 others like this.
  11. crhedBngr

Just thinking about this - no DNA from a suspect at the scene of her abduction.

Wonder if DNA was found at the site where she was discovered? Meaning possible suspect DNA?

Fingers crossed.

12. Iamlysaloo

Iamlysaloo Active Member

After 34 years? I’m hoping that’s possible.

13. Iamlysaloo

Iamlysaloo Active Member

Nevermind. DNA apparently lasts A LONG TIME.

14. crhedBngr

Yes, thankfully.

We shall see!

Luckyzmom, watcher9, cody22 and 5 others like this.
  15. Charlot123

Charlot123 Well-Known Member

Keeping fingers crossed. But what a scary weirdo! And a former youth pastor! And a politician! I hope they get to the core of this case, and maybe solve some other murders/disappearances, too.

16. watcher9

watcher9 Well-Known Member

Maybe not carried forward but years later, he could have started searching for information on certain old cases he was involved/interested in that could give LE a jumping off point for more victims. Google maps could be of interest. Cell phones could provide info on where he was at certain times.
    Sure glad they have him behind locked doors.

misgrn, Indy Anna, bluenoser and 13 others like this.
  17. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

BBM
    Is he arrested? I've been searching and haven't come across this - but interesting info here IMO
    Update: Greeley police: A lot of inconsistencies to Pankey's statement to Idaho media about Jonelle Matthews case | Greeley Tribune
    snipped
    “There’s a lot of inconsistencies in his statement to the Idaho media,” Smith said. “If we had probable cause (he killed Jonelle Matthews) we’d be arresting him. He’s just a person of interest.”

watcher9, Niner, misgrn and 8 others like this.
  18. crhedBngr

Yes, that is interesting!

Thanks for sharing that.

watcher9, misgrn, bluenoser and 4 others like this.
  19. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

Really strange.

20. byo

byo WS Liaison Staff Member WS Liason

@PayrollNerd
    Here's a link to an archived copy of The Denver Channel article:
    25 Years After Greeley Girl Vanished, No Clues - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

watcher9, Jim_M, Gardener1850 and 4 others like this.