Found Deceased CO - Joseph Keller, 18, Antonito, 23 July 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe it is coming up on two months. I hope we are not all here a year from july still wondering what happened to Joe.

jmo

I know of a missing persons situation in Colorado wherein a 49 year old guy went for a run on the trails in the canyon near his house and just never came back. Fourteen years later, in 2010, his bones were found, washed down out of the canyon into a storm sewer vault. Had the wilderness area not drained into a residential area, they probably never would have been found.

This mystery of Joe Keller could quite possibly never be solved.

all I know is that if this was my kid I would be staying at that ranch, free of charge, every day, for the rest of my life, searching from dawn til dusk, all alone if I had to. The ranch is run by family members for bleeps sake! What on earth is up with this case? It makes my blood boil and I don't even know the poor young man.

Three frequently repeated things that are bugging me on the Facebook page:
1. 'Dogs didn't find him, therefore he isn't there.' And other similar claims that a lack of information means something.
2. Desperate grasps at forming/identifying a pattern on insufficient or no commonalities: the rumor that 25 years ago or whatever another guy disappeared from the same ranch; attempts to link all the missing persons cases in the state together into some grand conspiracy; the Missing 411 stuff (which may be too big to discuss in detail here, but strikes me [opinionopinionopinion] as nonsense); etc.
3. The basic claim that underlies everything the FB page is up to: "Somebody must know something." That's just plain not necessarily true. Subsidiary (sort of) to this is the tone of how somebody is holding out on them or somebody needs to do something for them. I am genuinely sorry for their loss which is probably permanent. And I can understand a lot of emotional bias shaping words and actions in the situation. But, there are no clues whatsoever. Bringing in more or different investigators to follow up on nothing might be comforting, but I don't think it will advance the cause of solving what has been, essentially, a cold case from the first moment.

Three frequently repeated things that are bugging me on the Facebook page:
1. 'Dogs didn't find him, therefore he isn't there.' And other similar claims that a lack of information means something.
2. Desperate grasps at forming/identifying a pattern on insufficient or no commonalities: the rumor that 25 years ago or whatever another guy disappeared from the same ranch; attempts to link all the missing persons cases in the state together into some grand conspiracy; the Missing 411 stuff (which may be too big to discuss in detail here, but strikes me [opinionopinionopinion] as nonsense); etc.
3. The basic claim that underlies everything the FB page is up to: "Somebody must know something." That's just plain not necessarily true. Subsidiary (sort of) to this is the tone of how somebody is holding out on them or somebody needs to do something for them. I am genuinely sorry for their loss which is probably permanent. And I can understand a lot of emotional bias shaping words and actions in the situation. But, there are no clues whatsoever. Bringing in more or different investigators to follow up on nothing might be comforting, but I don't think it will advance the cause of solving what has been, essentially, a cold case from the first moment.

I completely agree.

I think they need to do more for themselves. Bring in more teams of dogs, different dogs, different handlers. Contact volunteer and paid organizations like Texas Equusearch.

Organize a large scale grid search, and repeat if necessary.

I would have a GPS, a gun, and a high powered satellite phone and I would be out there every day until my last breath searching for my baby....I can't fathom just giving up and going home. Never in my wildest dreams....

I sometimes wonder if Joe had known mental illness/emotional anguish that he was dealing with. Maybe he was doing so silently, or maybe his family had an idea, great or small, that he was suffering. The date, one day before his birthday always struck me as being some type of clue. Birthdays, anniversaries, etc., often seem to play into suicides.

Has it been two months already?

I have been thinking the same the last couple of days.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I really wish the local (i.e., Conejos Co.) LE would take the lead and bring the investigation back to square one. After all, they are the ones with jurisdiction over the matter. I'm inclined to think that they can gather enough trained/experienced SAR personnel (volunteer, but trained, and funded by donor funds), who are familiar with the area terrain, to help conduct additional searches (important: re-search areas that have already been searched before, including areas in which dogs didn't pick up anything during initial searches). Let the locals take the lead in the investigation. For example, it was the Bradley Co. (TN) Sheriff Eric Watson who told a local newspaper that Joe's travel companions "volunteered to take polygraphs and easily passed," and that texts and voicemails on their phones did not show anything alarming (http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...en-joe-kellers-missing-perscase-stirs/324311/).

So would I be correct in assuming that Conejos Co. LE prformed the polygraph tests, examined the friends' phones (what about Joe's ... but that's another matter) and then authorized Sheriff Watson to share the results publicly? I ask this question because I haven't read anywhere which agency conducted such tasks.

About the FBI being involved: As is the case with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...plead-social-medihelp-find-vanished-s/324544/), my understanding is that the FBI doesn't get involved unless requested by local authorities. Therefore, I really don't see how effective it would be for TN officials to be reaching out to the FBI (http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/2970028...tn-teen-suspended-but-investigation-continues) when the incident took place in CO.

I trust that Sheriff Watson only has good intentions, and that he is only interested in what thinks is best for the Keller's. However, I also can see how some of his actions and comments regarding the case could make Sheriff Galvez (of Conejos Co., CO) feel as though Sheriff Watson is stepping on his toes (sounds silly -it's not like they are a bunch of middle-schoolers-, but I think we all know people who would feel the same way; and, really, considering the way his office has been "bashed" on the FJK FB page in particular, I wouldn't blame Sheriff Galvez if he is indeed feeling that way), which would only be detrimental to the efforts to find out what happened to Joe. The mudslinging between the TN (by the way, the feeling I get is that in fact it isn't the Keller's who are engaging in this behavior; I think that they are most certainly frustrated by the way the investigation was handled initially, but the "bashing" is being done mostly by others via the FJK FB page, including -dare I say it ...- some of the administrators) and CO locals has got to stop right now. This has been extremely counterproductive.

Further, I think it is unfair to criticize Joe's aunt for the seemingly uncooperative behavior (e.g., not mentioning Joe on the RTR FB page -which appears to have been moved/merged with another page-, not furnishing guest information to LE, etc.) on her part. Based on information from the RTR website (http://rainbowtroutranch.com/colorado-dude-ranch-staff/), it isn't clear exactly who owns the ranch ("Doug & Linda run the ranch with the help of their son David and daughter-in-law Jane"). It may well be that the business is owned by Aunt Jane's in-laws alone, and that she and her husband are, essentially, their employees. This would partly depend on the type of relationship she, her husband and her in-laws have with each other, but perhaps she just isn't comfortable with the idea of asking her in-laws/possibly employers to help with the investigation into her nephew's disappearance (perhaps because the in-laws are concerned about the potential adverse effect on the business such publicity could bring about).

Bottom line, we are running out of time with winter just around the corner, and those involved in the investigation need to refocus. Hiring a private investigator (not just any, but a good one, who is experienced in cases like Joe's) may be the best option at this time, for at least s/he would be a neutral third party.

All IMHO only. My sincere apologies if I have offended anyone. That certainly is not my intention: Just like everyone else on here, I'm only trying to help somehow.

I, for one, am utterly unoffended. I agree in almost every point. I don't think a new, full search is justified, as the original search was carried out in keeping with standard search and rescue protocols and then some. Everything that statistically works has been thrown at this quest already. So, now it's more down to time and luck. If there were any new clue or information to be followed, that would be one thing, but a new search would be a repeat of what has already been done, unless somebody wants to get into 19th century mine survey stuff or searching waaaayyy downstream in the river. It is already way too late for survivability (dressed as he was, life-threatening hypothermia would have been an issue at night when he first disappeared. The overnight low up there tonight will be in the mid-30s.) if he remained in backcountry , and there has to be some cost/benefit analysis that goes into recovery (vs. rescue) missions, because resources are (of course) finite.

By the way, I would be STUNNED to learn that the Conejos County Sheriff's Dept. has anyone on staff who is trained to administer a polygraph examination. I would be not quite as surprised, but still surprised to learn that Sheriff Galvez suggested that anyone take a polygraph examination, especially in the early stages of the Lowlander Didn't Return from Exertion in the Woods investigation. It would be nice to see coverage that specifies the circumstances of the suggestion and decision to take polygraphs.

I, for one, am utterly unoffended. I agree in almost every point. I don't think a new, full search is justified, as the original search was carried out in keeping with standard search and rescue protocols and then some. Everything that statistically works has been thrown at this quest already. So, now it's more down to time and luck. If there were any new clue or information to be followed, that would be one thing, but a new search would be a repeat of what has already been done, unless somebody wants to get into 19th century mine survey stuff or searching waaaayyy downstream in the river.

-RSBM-

By the way, I would be STUNNED to learn that the Conejos County Sheriff's Dept. has anyone on staff who is trained to administer a polygraph examination. I would be not quite as surprised, but still surprised to learn that Sheriff Galvez suggested that anyone take a polygraph examination, especially in the early stages of the Lowlander Didn't Return from Exertion in the Woods investigation. It would be nice to see coverage that specifies the circumstances of the suggestion and decision to take polygraphs.

Thanks Caramel. Agreed on all counts. I have been reading up on other missing persons cases in CO and other western states on charleyproject.org, and it really has been eye-opening: Cases such as Joe's are numerous, and it is not unusual at all for them to remain unsolved for decades. Since coming to the U.S. at age sixteen, I have spent the majority of the last twenty-five or so years living in the Midwest, and I really did not have a true sense of appreciation for the vast wilderness of the American West until I started looking into Joe's disappearance.

So, the most logical (i.e., in line with Occam's razor) scenario to me, right now, is that Joe went off the main road and had some sort of accident, such as a fall.

It's just that I have had a nagging feeling from the very beginning that somehow there is foul play involved. Thus my question about, as you perfectly described, "the circumstances of the suggestion and decision to take polygraphs." To me, decision as to whether to take a polygraph would require most serious consideration and most certainly consultation with an attorney(s) even if I had absolutely nothing to hide. It would be a huge deal to me. It just seems to me (and the reality may be far different) that the sheriff in TN, some of those posting on the FJK FB page and even some of the administrators are being rather casual (not sure if that's the right word ...) about it, and I just get this impression of "Of course, they passed" or "Why would you even ask?" And this bothers me. To be fair, I don't know these young men personally. They appear to be decent individuals, and I have no reason to believe otherwise.

I also would love to have access to a map of the route CG took, and the reason for the search of La Jara Reservoir. I also noticed a post on the FJK FB page just a few days ago suggesting that a nearby lake (can't remember the name off the top of my head) be searched, to which a page administrator answered it had been searched early on. This was news to me. And then there is the seven hours between the time Joe was supposed to show back up and the arrival of LE. Finally, I have never mentioned this before on here, but since I keep coming back to it ...: One particular video a TN TV station covering the case broadcast just a couple weeks after Joe's disappearance continues to bother me. I wanted to watch it again before I posted this, so I googled it, only to get a "404 Not Found" error message. I remembered that a link to the said video was posted on the FJK FB page at the time of its broadcast, so I went to the page, and found it, but got the same result. I was able to find it on the station's YouTube page, however, so watched it again. Still feeling the same way. I just don't like it ....

I am about to make a wild guess, based on nothing. Here it is: CG and CF did polygraphs in Tennessee, under the guidance of attorneys and the Tennessee sheriff, not at all at the request of Sheriff Galvez. Yes, there are cases like Joe's in Colorado and around "the vast wilderness of the American West" that remain open for a long time. The missing guy and the circumstances of his being missing are not unusual _for a missing guy case_. The things that set this situation apart are (1) (possibly) the delayed response of the authorities, although if they get the call after dark it may make sense to convene at non-emergency speeds and begin the search at first light; (2) the friends/family reaction that went kind of suddenly from "we're looking for this lost guy" with helpful volunteers and search organizations and worry to "somebody did something to him and that somebody wasn't us" and they cleared off back to Tennessee and poisoned the well of potential leads with their harass-the-Colorado-sheriff-o-thon. That's weird, IMO. Pretty much, exactly this, by you:
"It's just that I have had a nagging feeling from the very beginning that somehow there is foul play involved. Thus my question about, as you perfectly described, "the circumstances of the suggestion and decision to take polygraphs." To me, decision as to whether to take a polygraph would require most serious consideration and most certainly consultation with an attorney(s) even if I had absolutely nothing to hide. It would be a huge deal to me. It just seems to me (and the reality may be far different) that the sheriff in TN, some of those posting on the FJK FB page and even some of the administrators are being rather casual (not sure if that's the right word ...) about it, and I just get this impression of "Of course, they passed" or "Why would you even ask?" And this bothers me. To be fair, I don't know these young men personally. They appear to be decent individuals, and I have no reason to believe otherwise."

I have wondered, again, just because...and without any specific knowledge, if the search of the La Jara reservoir was because sometimes when people get disoriented, they follow water. Generally, they walk downstream, but it's not unheard of for people to walk upstream. It would have been a crazy long walk, though, to get all the way to the reservoir from near the ranch. So, yeah, I'd like to hear an official account of why that was chosen as a search area.I'd also love to find the video to which you refer. Can you provide a link to it on youtube? OR maybe I should just go find it, too.

I am about to make a wild guess, based on nothing. Here it is: CG and CF did polygraphs in Tennessee, under the guidance of attorneys and the Tennessee sheriff, not at all at the request of Sheriff Galvez. Yes, there are cases like Joe's in Colorado and around "the vast wilderness of the American West" that remain open for a long time. The missing guy and the circumstances of his being missing are not unusual _for a missing guy case_. The things that set this situation apart are (1) (possibly) the delayed response of the authorities, although if they get the call after dark it may make sense to convene at non-emergency speeds and begin the search at first light; (2) the friends/family reaction that went kind of suddenly from "we're looking for this lost guy" with helpful volunteers and search organizations and worry to "somebody did something to him and that somebody wasn't us" and they cleared off back to Tennessee and poisoned the well of potential leads with their harass-the-Colorado-sheriff-o-thon. That's weird, IMO. Pretty much, exactly this, by you:
"It's just that I have had a nagging feeling from the very beginning that somehow there is foul play involved. Thus my question about, as you perfectly described, "the circumstances of the suggestion and decision to take polygraphs." To me, decision as to whether to take a polygraph would require most serious consideration and most certainly consultation with an attorney(s) even if I had absolutely nothing to hide. It would be a huge deal to me. It just seems to me (and the reality may be far different) that the sheriff in TN, some of those posting on the FJK FB page and even some of the administrators are being rather casual (not sure if that's the right word ...) about it, and I just get this impression of "Of course, they passed" or "Why would you even ask?" And this bothers me. To be fair, I don't know these young men personally. They appear to be decent individuals, and I have no reason to believe otherwise."

I have wondered, again, just because...and without any specific knowledge, if the search of the La Jara reservoir was because sometimes when people get disoriented, they follow water. Generally, they walk downstream, but it's not unheard of for people to walk upstream. It would have been a crazy long walk, though, to get all the way to the reservoir from near the ranch. So, yeah, I'd like to hear an official account of why that was chosen as a search area.I'd also love to find the video to which you refer. Can you provide a link to it on youtube? OR maybe I should just go find it, too.

I think your "wild guess" is pretty much spot-on. As cited in post #731, Sheriff Watson is quoted as saying CG and CF "volunteered to take polygraphs and easily passed." My assumption is that a request was made by someone (usually LE) that they take polygraphs at which point they "volunteered to" do so (rather than for them to go to LE one day and ask, "Can we take a polygraph?" I mean, for what reason would anybody do that?). So now I am wondering who it was that felt the need to at least suggest to CG and CF to take polygraphs, and more importantly, what it was that prompted this person to feel that way.

Or perhaps it was reports such as the one below that convinced CG and CF to go forward with the polygraphs:
"However, the Bradley County sheriff said his office maintained communication with Colorado authorities via phone and NCIC, and continues following up leads locally into Keller’s activities before he left for Colorado with friends."
http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/coloradodeclinedhis-offerwatson,14882

Another thing that stood out to me in the above article is that it states, "... Bradley County investigators have sought and received the help of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in gathering and disseminating information." It was never clear to me as to whether Bradley Co. was successful in obtaining FBI's assistance, so this was good to know. Perhaps the case was/is handled in a way in which the CO authorities were to focus on the SAR efforts and their TN counterparts more of intelligence-gathering, in which case it would make sense for Sheriff Watson's office to administer the polygraphs, I guess. Who knows, maybe it was the FBI's idea to give CG and CF polygraphs (for whatever reason) .... Still, I just can't get over the peculiar (IMHO only) dynamic between the two sheriff's offices.

I think what you suggested as the possible reason for the delay in LE's arrival is entirely plausible. There were posts by some folks who were supposedly staying at RTR and a nearby camp ground at the time of Joe's disappearance (I say "supposedly" as the information is from FB = rumor per WS TOS). They appear to agree that there didn't seem to be a real sense of urgency on the part of LE at first, so that might have played a role as well.

As far as the sudden shift in the direction of the search/investigation ...: This is something that didn't even catch my attention until very recently; earlier this week, upon realizing that CG's FB page had been reactivated, I decided to go over his posts from the days following Joe's disappearance. The posts are very well written with lots of information and much attention to detail (missing somewhat noticeably: In what part of CO they are in). A little over a day after Joe disappeared, CG posted a status titled "MISSING PERSON." Accompanying the post are tree photos: The first one shows the shoes Joe was wearing, the second Joe's "build," and the third, his face. Over the next three days, CG posted five "updates," along with a few MSM articles reporting on the ongoing search for his lifelong friend far away from where they grew up together. From the totality perspective, the picture that is being painted as CG describes the events immediately following Joe's disappearance is that of a missing person's case, rather than a case of someone getting lost while running, becoming disoriented or getting sick - though according to a FJK FB page administrator, CG himself got sick and in fact vomited after the run. The current consensus among friends and family appears to be something similar to the picture CG was painting two months ago, but as to potential perpetrator(s), I don't think they have a single lead, and there is a reason for that.

In a case like this, anything is possible, it seems. However, some scenarios are more probable than others, and in my opinion, kidnapping is one of the least likely ones. CG disagrees:
[video=youtu;ugRaADu0-ME]http://youtu.be/ugRaADu0-ME[/video] (By the way, Caramel, this is the video I mentioned earlier. Nothing extraordinary. I very much subscribe to the "Everybody is different," as well as the "Each person reacts differently to each situation" school of thought, too, so I wouldn't expect someone to act a certain way in a certain circumstance, either. This sounds so silly, but ... I just get a certain vibe ...).

I think your "wild guess" is pretty much spot-on. As cited in post #731, Sheriff Watson is quoted as saying CG and CF "volunteered to take polygraphs and easily passed." My assumption is that a request was made by someone (usually LE) that they take polygraphs at which point they "volunteered to" do so (rather than for them to go to LE one day and ask, "Can we take a polygraph?" I mean, for what reason would anybody do that?). So now I am wondering who it was that felt the need to at least suggest to CG and CF to take polygraphs, and more importantly, what it was that prompted this person to feel that way.

Or perhaps it was reports such as the one below that convinced CG and CF to go forward with the polygraphs:
"However, the Bradley County sheriff said his office maintained communication with Colorado authorities via phone and NCIC, and continues following up leads locally into Keller’s activities before he left for Colorado with friends."
http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/coloradodeclinedhis-offerwatson,14882

Another thing that stood out to me in the above article is that it states, "... Bradley County investigators have sought and received the help of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in gathering and disseminating information." It was never clear to me as to whether Bradley Co. was successful in obtaining FBI's assistance, so this was good to know. Perhaps the case was/is handled in a way in which the CO authorities were to focus on the SAR efforts and their TN counterparts more of intelligence-gathering, in which case it would make sense for Sheriff Watson's office to administer the polygraphs, I guess. Who knows, maybe it was the FBI's idea to give CG and CF polygraphs (for whatever reason) .... Still, I just can't get over the peculiar (IMHO only) dynamic between the two sheriff's offices.

I think what you suggested as the possible reason for the delay in LE's arrival is entirely plausible. There were posts by some folks who were supposedly staying at RTR and a nearby camp ground at the time of Joe's disappearance (I say "supposedly" as the information is from FB = rumor per WS TOS). They appear to agree that there didn't seem to be a real sense of urgency on the part of LE at first, so that might have played a role as well.

As far as the sudden shift in the direction of the search/investigation ...: This is something that didn't even catch my attention until very recently; earlier this week, upon realizing that CG's FB page had been reactivated, I decided to go over his posts from the days following Joe's disappearance. The posts are very well written with lots of information and much attention to detail (missing somewhat noticeably: In what part of CO they are in). A little over a day after Joe disappeared, CG posted a status titled "MISSING PERSON." Accompanying the post are tree photos: The first one shows the shoes Joe was wearing, the second Joe's "build," and the third, his face. Over the next three days, CG posted five "updates," along with a few MSM articles reporting on the ongoing search for his lifelong friend far away from where they grew up together. From the totality perspective, the picture that is being painted as CG describes the events immediately following Joe's disappearance is that of a missing person's case, rather than a case of someone getting lost while running, becoming disoriented or getting sick - though according to a FJK FB page administrator, CG himself got sick and in fact vomited after the run. The current consensus among friends and family appears to be something similar to the picture CG was painting two months ago, but as to potential perpetrator(s), I don't think they have a single lead, and there is a reason for that.

In a case like this, anything is possible, it seems. However, some scenarios are more probable than others, and in my opinion, kidnapping is one of the least likely ones. CG disagrees:
[video=youtu;ugRaADu0-ME]http://youtu.be/ugRaADu0-ME[/video] (By the way, Caramel, this is the video I mentioned earlier. Nothing extraordinary. I very much subscribe to the "Everybody is different," as well as the "Each person reacts differently to each situation" school of thought, too, so I wouldn't expect someone to act a certain way in a certain circumstance, either. This sounds so silly, but ... I just get a certain vibe ...).

I never saw this video and now, wow has it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Broadcast mentions Colin and Joe's Family helped search. What about the other friend?
IMO...complete lack of emotion, aloof, indifference, callousness, I could go on but you would be blind not to see it.

"Someone happening to be driving by..." Perhaps someone who stayed behind and had keys to the car....?

wow

That video didn't even mention the third friend at all. Or did I miss it?

That video didn't even mention the third friend at all. Or did I miss it?

I never saw this video and now, wow has it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Broadcast mentions Colin and Joe's Family helped search. What about the other friend?
IMO...complete lack of emotion, aloof, indifference, callousness, I could go on but you would be blind not to see it.

"Someone happening to be driving by..." Perhaps someone who stayed behind and had keys to the car....?

wow

After some sleuthing, I found a FB post (=rumor) that leads me to believe CF's family showed up to help with the search within a matter of couple of days. I don't remember reading any MSM articles reporting how long CG and CF stayed in CO after Joe disappeared. All I know (via MSM, I believe) is that they had to leave because school was starting back up.

When I watched CG's interview for the first time, my heart sank. It was as though the video confirmed what I had been feeling all along. But it may just be that CG is the type who doesn't show much emotion no matter the situation. He also doesn't seem to want to talk much about Joe as a person, and that may simply be his way of grieving the disappearance of a lifelong friend. Besides, I'm sure the footage has been edited. Still, I can't help but notice the stark difference between this interview and the one Joe's dad did with a TN radio station.

I think one would be ill-advised to assume that everyone is going to react to situations in the same way. Likewise, I think it is foolish (and at times dangerous) for one to assume someone is capable or incapable of doing something based solely on one's perception of the individual in question. No one should be looked at differently because "s/he is so smart," "s/he is so nice," "s/he comes from a good family," etc.

Aunt_Tulip: You are correct: The video does not mention the second friend. He seems to be keeping a low profile, and frankly, I think that is the prudent thing to do for someone in his position.

I guess knowing young men that age, the video seems perfectly normal. He is nervous, I'm sure to have a camera on him and be interviewed. I have been in that situation before and I could hear my heart beating in my ears I was so nervous. Not because I did anything, but just because of the camera etc.

He seems like a nice guy, and certainly normal in the video to me.

When someone isn't found everyone always goes into complicated reasons why...but I sincerely believe that Joe slipped somewhere...or was ill and vomiting...and is some place hidden/hard to get to. When you aren't used to being at high elevations...and even when you are....it can take you by surprise how ill you feel. I lived in CO for a couple years and would hike up to 9 or 10K feet regularly. I remember that friends and family that came to visit me would want to do my regular hikes with me, but would quickly feel ill from the elevation and we would turn around.

My heart just breaks for Joe's family and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark