GUILTY CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you've given a moving definition of bittersweet. Thanks for all of your efforts with this case -- all the photos and miles from day 1. :(:)

Someone posted something so lovely, I believe it was yesterday, about how being able to grieve for someone you never met is the definition of humanity. Something like that.

I'm seeing a lot of humanity on Websleuths. Nice.

I don't watch much TV but would love a Dateline, or something similar, titled "A Deal with the Devil" - just to cement that in in the brains of everyone who knows KK.

As much as I look forward to seeing Kelsey's case covered on Dateline, I know we're all going to go nuts with the large and small mistakes in the telling.

We've seen such huge errors in print media already and every one makes me want to scream, "No!"

I guess it's the price we'll pay for following so closely all year!

Last edited:
I can only imagine how much that rankles in his heart. I mean the whole reason he got into this line of work was justice and he had to let a conspirator go, in essence, to keep the baby safe and put away the actual killer.

That’s horrible. I’m betting that when he and his team are supposed to be sleeping at night, they lie awake sweating about that.
I 100% agree with this!

Although, I absolutely relished in the “PaperTowelGate”, I hate the fact that KK can say, “see, I told you I was scared and in danger”

I can NOT stand this vile woman, but if DA Dan can live with it, so can I.

After all, we received justice for Kelsey today, and that’s what matters!

#BerrethStrong!

I hope somehow a friend of the Berreth family is able to read here all the sentiments we’ve shared, so they know how much they have been supported and loved throughout this ordeal. I wish they could have felt all the love and heard all the prayers ... perhaps they have. We join them tonight in honoring their sweet Kelsey. Many hugs to the Berreths!

I can’t even begin to imagine what the members of the jury are feeling tonight. I hope they are surrounded by loved ones & are being easy on themselves.
absolutely. I think it is often forgotten that jurors have to see and hear things that would rather not, but are doing their civic duty...and that can be traumatizing.

I can't imagine how hard that had to be for the Berreths. They did an absolutely amazing job, keeping calm, classy, and didn't belittle Patrick like I am sure they all wanted to, for Baby K's sake. It worried many of us, the baby being in his care, and after he was arrested- just the thoughts of MaF keeping her scared me to pieces.

Cheryl, if you ever read this- you are an amazing and classy woman. I am so glad you finally can let this all out. A year is too long to have to hold this inside. Finally, you got to express your disgust. Your love and protection not only for Baby K's safety and well being, but for Kelsey's reputation, shines through. Kelsey would be so proud of her Mamma.
Every time I think about “the deal” and how unfair it is to her family I think about that picture of CB, KB and that beautiful baby together and I’m ok with it because it means the baby lives to grow up in a normal loving family- I don’t think any of that would be possible had “the deal” not been made (I purposely am not going to name that woman again) - I’m also quite certain any shred of a happy and fulfilling life is over because of “the deal”
I’m good with this outcome
JMO

No.
Not everyone.

I have always disagreed with the idea that there's some type of moral equivalency between what KK did and what PF did.

The 2 aren't even comparable.

KK's a vile, reprehensible woman.
But she's not a violent, brutal, vicious murderer.

PF solicited KK to kill KB multiple times, and she balked each and every time.
KK may or may not have wanted KB dead.
But even if she did want her dead, she didn't want her dead enough to kill her.

PF wanted KB dead enough to kill her.
And to do so in a most gruesome, excruciating manner.

PF is the one whose evil mind plotted KB's murder.
PF is the one whose evil hands executed KB's murder.

PF drove the bat into KB's body 15 times or more.
He relentlessly battered her.

So, when it comes to driving home the point that PF swung the bat, some of us here are not willing to give it a break.

That's a level of evil that's almost incomprehensible.

There's no moral equivalency here.

Not even close.

JMO.
BRAVO! This bears repeating every time! MOO

So true!
She might want to change the hair as it just screams, "Look at me! I'm the haint that hooked up with a complete idiot, believing the unbelievable, driving endless miles to do the unthinkable."

Even folks who don't watch the local news have now seen her on every national network so KK can never hide.
Upvote for haint!

One of my faves.

And she only didn’t swing the bat because she couldn’t follow through. She intended to kill Kelsey, herself, with nobody twisting her arm, three times. KK did not live near PF, and was only mixed up in this because she wanted to be. She could have changed her phone number and never talked to the guy again. Her participation was simply what she was willing for it to be.

She drove states away multiple times to kill someone. I can’t even be bothered to drive from my house a mile from the Columbia River to a good sale in Portland because traffic sucks. I can’t wrap my mind around driving hours to kill someone if she really didn’t want to see her dead.
yes! of course she was willing.
I think the newly crowned convicted killer of Kelsey berreth didn't seem to be able to find his way out of Colorado.
there was little chance he'd be bothered knocking on her door........:confused::confused:

don't believe iirc he went to her once for a booty call.o_O

moo

“The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them.”

Lois McMaster Bujold

I am so grateful for the just verdict. Many prayers have been answered thanks to the prosecution’s dedication and passion for what is right as well as the jury’s.

Also our dedication here.:):):)
So many posting here, right from the beginning, awaiting Justice for Kelsey.
I would think the Berreth family would know about the online support, for Kelsey.
I am hoping, now that this major hurdle has been won, the KKs, SFs and any others in the woodwork, will have their lives disrupted forever.
MOO.

No.
Not everyone.

I have always disagreed with the idea that there's some type of moral equivalency between what KK did and what PF did.

But even if she did want her dead, she didn't want her dead enough to kill her.

So, when it comes to driving home the point that PF swung the bat, some of us here are not willing to give it a break.

Not even close.

JMO.
I can't agree more on this if I tried!

No.
Not everyone.

But even if she did want her dead, KK didn't want KB dead enough to kill her.

Not even close.

JMO.

I don't think it can be said any plainer than that!

If we're still in a voting mood, I vote this the last word on weighing guilt in this case.

I'm celebrating for the verdict reached today but can not get over the fact that KK is nearly getting off scott free. She was deeply involved in the planning and execution of the murder, I totally understand that she helped with putting Frazee away for life but IMO, she should have been in for at least 20 years.
In reality, her life has been greatly impacted in a very negative way. All of her friends and family, including her children, will know the horrible things she admitted too.

I would want to curl up and die if my young children knew that I helped a man, that I was cheating with, on their father, to plan a woman's murder, and even helped him cover it up, and cleaned up the bloody crime scene. And never warned her or the police, that she was in mortal danger?

How can her children ever look at her in the same way again. Even if they don't know the story now, someday they will. And children are very perceptive---they know something is up, and their Mom is in some kind of awful mess. They know it.

How can KK's parents and siblings look her in the eyes and not think badly of her, as she willingly drove to Colorado to 'try' to kill a love rival? And cleaned up that bloody mess to cover up a brutal crime.

She is not really walking away Scott free, in my opinion. It is true that she will receive very little prison time. But she will never have her life back, as a well respected, hard working wife and mother.

She will probably move to a small town, maybe change her name, and live a low key, quiet life, and try to enjoy the simple things she has left. Whatever freedom she has and whomever stays in her life in spite of learning what an evil streak she has. JMO

Last edited:
was anyone sitting with SF?

I unfortunately couldn't even see her. I was looking all over for her too. I imagine she was in the front though and she's quite short, so probably hard to see.

The sister on the other hand is as tall as PF and would stand out, didn't see her anywhere. Imagine she wasn't there.

There's a lot more I'd love to say about SF, but I will refrain. I'd love to see her in cuffs at some point.

---

I loved when they called PF a sociopath in the presser. Watching him in court for the past couple weeks kind of sealed that for me. When he showed zero emotion even when there was an adorable picture of his daughter on the screen.....about all I needed to know.

I hope he never gets to see another picture of her again.

---

I think Sam has done an excellent job, I hope he covers the Kelsie Schelling case that is going to trial here soon.

I don't watch much TV but would love a Dateline, or something similar, titled "A Deal with the Devil" - just to cement that in in the brains of everyone who knows KK.
Featuring, among other things, the footage of her casually fixing her hair, putting on lip gloss, etc. in the Sonic drive-thru in preparation for her "post-cleanup", meetup with PF. I find that footage very chilling, and revealing of her casual cruelty.

I hope somehow a friend of the Berreth family is able to read here all the sentiments we’ve shared, so they know how much they have been supported and loved throughout this ordeal. I wish they could have felt all the love and heard all the prayers ... perhaps they have. We join them tonight in honoring their sweet Kelsey. Many hugs to the Berreths!
I think they probably do read here. IIRC, Kelsey’s aunt posted here at the very beginning, but then stopped after realizing this was way more than just a missing person case. I like to think she, as well as other family members keep checking in!

If so, I hope they truly feel the love from all of the wonderful posters here at WS!! MOO of course :)

Court documents detail Idaho nurse's role in death of Kelsey Berreth

KTVB spoke with former Idaho attorney general and lieutenant governor, Dave Leroy about how a deal like that comes about and if a judge can throw out that deal if more information is released.

“She is both a criminal and a witness and in this case. They determined it was so important that she be available as a witness, they gave her a favorable plea deal,” Leroy said. “The authority that the judge will have in regard to Ms. Lee is simply to sentence her within the maximum or minimums of the crime that is presented to him or her."

[...]

“Ms. Lee, the Idaho resident, actually was a principle as a criminal in a couple of things, she destroyed evidence here in Idaho, she gave initially false statements to investigators in Idaho, both of those are crimes here,” Leroy said.

[...]

When it comes to the Colorado activity though, Leroy says, Kenney is considered an accessory after the fact.

ETA: Obviously, Colorado agreed not to charge KB for accessory after the fact and settled with tampering charge pursuant to her plea agreement.

Thanks for that.

I’ve posted about this before but it might be helpful to post again for some who could’ve missed it.

The sentencing range for accessory after the fact when the underlying crime is murder, is 3-6 years.
2016 Colorado Revised Statutes :: Title 18 - :: Criminal Code :: Article 8 - :: Offenses - Governmental Operations :: Part 1 - :: Obstruction of Public Justice :: § 18-8-105. Accessory to crime

What the state knew before KK talked would allow for no greater charges. And that’s if they could prove murder one without her testifying. If not the max would likely be 3 years as a class 5 felony, if they could prove any underlying crime connected with kelsey’s disappearance.

What was told to them during plea negotiations could not be used against her to charge her. That’s the law. So once she talked to the DA and revealed that she was likely a conspirator (although she denied actually going through with anything meaningfully, I think she did take steps in furtherance of the conspiracy of murder), none of that info could have been used to charge her. It was off limits.

So the deal they gave her is not absurd in terms of what she could’ve actually faced had they not given her a deal.

Beautiful family. I’m sorry their paths crossed evil. But they remain strong, dignified and admirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member