CO CO - Kelsie Schelling, 21, pregnant, Pueblo, 4 Feb 2013 *Arrest* #2

Brandon Thompson
@BThompsonNews

We continue see text messages between Kelsie Schelling and Donthe Lucas this morning, as Lucas' trial for Kelsie's murder enters day 4. The two started arguing over texts on February 3, the day before Kelsie was last seen. There texts went into the early morning of February 4,

with calls and argumentative texts. Kelsie texts "I'm done fighting with you Donthe. We can't even go a day without fighting....I'm tired of being miserable. THis isn't me. I'm always happy, I can't even remember the last time I was happy."

Donthe texts that he hasn't tried to start to start fights and that "I plan to make things work." There are a number of texts of Kelsie telling Donthe where she is as she drives to Pueblo and once she arrives, her texts indicate she waited at Wal Mart for an hour.

During the tail end of that hour, Lucas texts his mother, Sarah Lucas.
Donthe: "I want to make sure she didn't leave anything in the house then you can take her back home.
Sarah: What happened??
Sarah: Are you ok?
Donthe: Yeah great now
Sarah: She's not pregnant.

Donthe: Nothing just had to make sure I was right. Apparently she had a miscarriage yesterday
Sarah: Oh my god
Donthe: All wise
Donthe: I'm 100% positive
Sarah:: Okay love you.
Sarah: Ready for a smoke and a pancake?
Donthe: Hell yeah lol Let me get her out of here
Wtf?

Kelsie Schelling went missing from Pueblo, Colorado on the night of February 4, 2013, after driving there from her home in Denver to meet her boyfriend, Donthe Lucas. The 21-year-old was two months pregnant with the couple's child, a reported stress point in the relationship. Video released by the Pueblo Police Department shows Schelling’s black 2011 Chevrolet Cruze parked in front of a Walmart store around noon the following day. The vehicle had been left there overnight. The next day at 7:20 a.m., an unidentified man can be seen getting into Schelling’s car and driving away. The car was found abandoned a week later at Saint Mary Corwin Medical Center. In November of 2017, tips led police to conduct searches in several different areas of Pueblo in connection with Kelsie’s case, but authorities told Dateline they were unable to find anything of significance. On December 1, 2017, police arrested Donthe Lucas for the first-degree murder of Kelsie. In August of 2018, Lucas pleaded not guilty to the murder charge. The trial was scheduled to start in April 2019, but new evidence found in the case over the summer postponed it until January 2020. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the trial was pushed back to September and again to January 25, 2021. Police said because the investigation remains active, they cannot provide details on what led to the arrest. Police told Dateline they have not found Kelsie’s remains. If you have any information about Kelsie's case, please contact the Pueblo Crime Stoppers at (719) 542-7867.
Seven years of Dateline's Missing in America: 156 still missing

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 18m
Snow is blowing lightly in #Pueblo. It’s the fifth day in the murder trial of #DontheLucas, the man accused of murdering his pregnant ex-girlfriend, #KelsieSchelling, eight years ago. This is my thread to watch today. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]3m
Replying to @ColetteBordelon
We also heard a recorded phone call of #Lucas talking to a Denver detective on February 10. Everything is recapped thoroughly in my thread from Monday. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]3m
Expecting to start today with the cross-examination of #Schelling’s brother, Colby. Heading in the courtroom now. Will update on breaks. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 57s
We also heard from a supervisor of at Floor and Decor. She was texting with #Schelling when Schelling told her on Feb 5 that she was in the ER, and the “baby was growing in the wrong place.” The witness thought that was odd, since everything was fine at the Feb. 4 appt. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]4m
There was lots of discussion about the apartment he bought in downtown Denver where #Kelsie stayed from the fall of 2012 to February 2013. He said the furniture looked scuffed when moving it out - plus, and the bed frame was busted. @KOAA

Brandon Thompson
@BThompsonNews

Day 5 of Donthe Lucas's trial for Kelsie Schelling's murder begins with Kelsie' brother, Colby Schelling. It was a quick wrap up of his testimony yesterday where he talked about getting Kelsie's laptop and turning it over to a private investigator. Later, we heard from Kelsie's

father Doug Schelling. Doug and his lone employee run a construction store in Holyoke, CO for the past 25ish years. Doug talked about the apartment Kelsie stayed at, he had bought it in August 2012 for an investment and let Kelsie stay there when she moved back from California

that October. It was rent free, with Schelling telling Kelsie to save $4,000-$5,000 to get her own place by the spring time. Schelling was one of the last people to find out about the pregnancy, he admits Kelsie may have expected him to get angry. Kelsie told him Feb. 4 by

sending him a picture of the ultrasound "Thank goodness I wasn't" he said and recalled "I told her I loved her and her mom and I would help her in any way I could." He was noticably choked up while saying this. There's a lot that Schelling admits he didn't know about his

daughter, including her relationship with Lucas. He found out about that when he found out about the pregnancy. "I've learned more here in this trial and in motions hearing. I knew nothing most of the time." Schelling also described broken planks on a box spring they had bought

new in October to which he says "Kelsie didn't do that on her own." Earlier was Kelsie's supervisor at Floor & Decor, Savannah Martin, on the stand. Martin hired Kelsie and said that, within her 5-month period working there, was promoted to full time. Martin established that

Kelsie would always give a phone call if she was late or wouldn't be able to go to work. Kelsie told Martin several times about her first ultrasound appointment on Feb. 4, both in person and over the phone. Martin said that Kelsie reported a normal, healthy pregnancy on

Feb. 4 but on Feb. Kelsie texted Martin saying she was going to be late because she was at the doctors and is "really sick." Two hours after Kelsie's shift had started, Martin thought she was still coming in. Martin said she tried to call Kelsie several times, but didn't get an

answer, only replies via texts. Martin asked how severe things were, Kelsie replied she was in the emergency room. "I was nervous, I was worried about her. This is someone I considered my friend and was excited about being pregnant" Martin said, and texted Kelsie not to worry

about work that day. Kelsie was scheduled to work at 6am on Feb. 7 and Martin confirmed with Kelsie via text that Kelsie would be there. 6am rolls around and Kelsie is a no show. At 7 that morning, Kelsie texted Martin "I'm not having a baby. Don't tell any one." because the baby

y wasn't growing in the right place to which Martin testified "I found it strange that a baby that was growing in the right place the day before isn't any more." Martin testified that she didn't think the texts sounded like Kelsie base on how the texts sounded as well as their

grammar. This is part of the prosecution trying to show Lucas had Kelsie's phone and was texting people back, posing as Kelsie.

A DNA expert also testified, essentially verifying the DNA profile taken from Kelsie's toothbrush. He also said that profile had been uploaded to a national data base, but hasn't had any matches since

Brandon Thompson [URL='https://twitter.com/BThompsonNews']@BThompsonNews [/URL]14m
about work that day. Kelsie was scheduled to work at 6am on Feb. 7 and Martin confirmed with Kelsie via text that Kelsie would be there. 6am rolls around and Kelsie is a no show. At 7 that morning, Kelsie texted Martin "I'm not having a baby. Don't tell any one." because the baby

Brandon Thompson [URL='https://twitter.com/BThompsonNews']@BThompsonNews [/URL]14m
answer, only replies via texts. Martin asked how severe things were, Kelsie replied she was in the emergency room. "I was nervous, I was worried about her. This is someone I considered my friend and was excited about being pregnant" Martin said, and texted Kelsie not to worry
Feb. 4 but on Feb. Kelsie texted Martin saying she was going to be late because she was at the doctors and is "really sick." Two hours after Kelsie's shift had started, Martin thought she was still coming in. Martin said she tried to call Kelsie several times, but didn't get an

Day 5 of Donthe Lucas's trial for Kelsie Schelling's murder begins with Kelsie' brother, Colby Schelling. It was a quick wrap up of his testimony yesterday where he talked about getting Kelsie's laptop and turning it over to a private investigator. Later, we heard from Kelsie's

[URL='https://twitter.com/BThompsonNews']Brandon Thompson
@BThompsonNews 14m
Replying to @BThompsonNews
new in October to which he says "Kelsie didn't do that on her own." Earlier was Kelsie's supervisor at Floor & Decor, Savannah Martin, on the stand. Martin hired Kelsie and said that, within her 5-month period working there, was promoted to full time. Martin established that[/URL]

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews 14m
Kelsie would always give a phone call if she was late or wouldn't be able to go to work. Kelsie told Martin several times about her first ultrasound appointment on Feb. 4, both in person and over the phone. Martin said that Kelsie reported a normal, healthy pregnancy on

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews 17m
A DNA expert also testified, essentially verifying the DNA profile taken from Kelsie's toothbrush. He also said that profile had been uploaded to a national data base, but hasn't had any matches since

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews 22m
grammar. This is part of the prosecution trying to show Lucas had Kelsie's phone and was texting people back, posing as Kelsie.

@BThompsonNews [/URL]22m
y wasn't growing in the right place to which Martin testified "I found it strange that a baby that was growing in the right place the day before isn't any more." Martin testified that she didn't think the texts sounded like Kelsie base on how the texts sounded as well as their

One of the biggest moments in court Monday was a recorded call between Lucas and a Denver detective being played. News5's Colette Bordelon reported Lucas that his tone sounded very calm and matter of fact.

Read the full recap of day 4 by clicking here.

There are no cameras allowed in the building and no live reporting from the courthouse. There are also limits on the number of people who can be in the courtroom because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Our Colette Bordelon will be there every day and will have coverage both online and over the air. Follow her on Twitter for the quickest updates.

Supervisor at Floor and Decor called to the stand

Savannah Martin is called to the stand following Schelling's brother. She was the supervisor at Floor and Decor and inteviewed Schelling for the job as well as became friends with her at work.
https://www.koaa.com/news/kelsie-sc...take-stand-in-donthe-lucas-murder-trial-today

Kelsie Schelling’s father takes the stand in Donthe Lucas murder trial | FOX21 News Colorado

Colette Bordelon
@ColetteBordelon

Next up after the break is Neal Saxton, #KelsieSchelling's step-father. He talks about Feb. 11, 2013, when family members went down to Pueblo to try and find Kelsie. They went to #DontheLucas' mom's home, where they spoke with Lucas. Saxton says he seemed calm as they talked.

Lucas told Saxton & Schelling's brother she had come down to Pueblo early in the morning on February 5, around 3 or 4 AM. Lucas tells them they slept at his grandma's house, then went to Parkview. He says Schelling went inside alone, and when she came out, said she lost the baby.

Lucas continues to tell Saxton they drove around after that, and ended up fighting in the Walmart parking lot. Schelling allegedly told Lucas to get out, and she took off. Then, the jury is told to disregard anything Saxton said about when he talked to Lucas, after a sidebar.

INCONSISTENCIES: A PPD Officer is called to the stand, who went to a welfare check on Feb. 11, 2013 to Lucas' grandmother's home. #Lucas wasn't there at the time. After speaking with his grandmother, they go to his mom's address, where Lucas is babysitting his younger siblings.

The officer talks to #Lucas. He says #Schelling came to Pueblo on February 5, 2013, around 3 AM, and he last saw her around 9 that same morning. He says they argued that night about "the usual," then he went inside to sleep at his grandmother's home.
@KOAA

He tells the officer #Schelling slept in her car that night, and he for some reason, goes outside to "confront" her about the pregnancy at 7 AM. His mannerisms gave the officer the impression Lucas wasn't happy about the pregnancy, and could have believed it was a lie.
@KOAA

Then, #Lucas claims he wants to take #Schelling to a doctor. Apparently, she insists on going to Parkview, even though he wanted to take her to St. Mary Corwin. He says they go to Parkview and they BOTH sit in the waiting room, but #Schelling goes alone when called back.
@KOAA

Remember, #Lucas had told everyone before this officer that #Schelling went into Parkview ALONE. Still says #Schelling came out of her appointment around an hour and a half later and said she wasn't pregnant. Then, Lucas says they went to get food.
@KOAA

Lucas never mentioned a miscarriage to the officer. Around 9 AM, he said they ended up at Walmart, but never said #Schelling went in to get snacks. But, we heard him say in the recorded phone call with the Denver detective that #Schelling did go inside to get something to eat.

Lucas never mentioned to the officer his theory that he told the Denver detective: that #Schelling could have gone back to California, to be with her ex-boyfriend and work at her old job.
@KOAA

He does however mention the phone call he allegedly got from a private number - he has said that's the last time he spoke to #Schelling. The officer says at first, Lucas said that call was on February 10, but then changed his answer, and said it happened on February 9.
@KOAA

That's the call where #Lucas claims #Schelling told him to leave her alone. But when the officer asks to see the call log on #Lucas' phone, he told her he clears out his recent calls and texts at the end of every day.
@KOAA

#Lucas also alleged #Schelling had threatened to commit suicide in the past, but was vague on what that meant or when she said it. The officer mentions Lucas "did not seem concerned" about #Schelling.
@KOAA

The defense points out there is no audio, video, or photo evidence of this discussion between the PPD officer and #DontheLucas. The officer says Lucas was cordial and cooperative when she spoke with him.
@KOAA

The defense had the officer confirm they never found a crime scene, and nothing looked out of the ordinary at either Lucas' grandmother's or mom's home. But the prosecution points out these visits were a good six days after February 5, and there would have been time to clean up.

Last edited:
^^rsbm

Yes, disregard that DL lied and left out an entire day of events beginning with Kelsie being lured to Pueblo, arriving on Feb 4, and left waiting for 2 hours! :mad:

What I've noticed, is almost everything that DL stated was a lie. And not a consistent lie, I'm confused half the time and find it very helpful (thank you) when you re post all his inconsistencies. I hope what is happening in court is that they are emphasizing all these lies and inconsistencies in his story to the jurors as well.

Brandon Thompson [URL='https://twitter.com/BThompsonNews']@BThompsonNews [/URL]49s
deny arguing with Kelsie, showed the officer some texts (From Feb 5) he sent her, and never said he didn't want to be a father.

Brandon Thompson [URL='https://twitter.com/BThompsonNews']@BThompsonNews [/URL]39s
Jacober says, Lucas reported Kelsie was in a check up for 40 minutes then left, saying she wasn't pregnant, no mention of a miscarriage (despite Lucas' earlier statements to police). In questions from the dense Jacober said Lucas was calm, cordial, cooperative and that he didn't

Brandon Thompson [URL='https://twitter.com/BThompsonNews']@BThompsonNews [/URL]40s
Lucas wanted to go to St Mart Corwin because it was closer, he says Kelsie insisted on Parkview. What's new here: Donthe told Jacober that he went into the waiting room with Kelsie. Every other witness up to this point has testified that Donthe said he stayed outside the hospital

Brandon Thompson [URL='https://twitter.com/BThompsonNews']@BThompsonNews [/URL]43s
then he said Kelsie slept in the car until 7 am. Lucas told Jacober they were arguing about the pregnancy, she says Lucas was wavering between believing Kelsie was pregnant and thinking she was lying about it. At that point, Lucas told Jacober that they went to the hospital.

@BThompsonNews
testimony speaking about it). After Saxton though, Pueblo Police Corporal Melissa Jacober was on the stand. She met Colby and Saxton on the 11th and spoke to Lucas. During that time, Lucas said Kelsie got to Pueblo around 3 am on the 5th, they argued about their relationship[/URL]

Brandon Thompson [URL='https://twitter.com/BThompsonNews']@BThompsonNews [/URL]50s
Kelsie's step father, Niel Saxton, testified this morning as well. He went with Colby on Feb 11 to Pueblo to ask Lucas about Kelsie, though Judge Flescher ruled that the jury should not take his statements about that day in to consideration (after spending nearly all of his

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 6m
Lucas never mentioned to the officer his theory that he told the Denver detective: that #Schelling could have gone back to California, to be with her ex-boyfriend and work at her old job. @KOAA

[URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']Colette Bordelon
@ColetteBordelon [/URL]7m
His story ends the same with the officer as it did with the detective. Lucas says #Schelling kicked him out of her car, and drove off. He called his mom, who picked him up. He told the officer #Schelling maybe returned to work, and she took that to mean Denver. @KOAA

[URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']Colette Bordelon
@ColetteBordelon [/URL]8s
The defense points out there is no audio, video, or photo evidence of this discussion between the PPD officer and #DontheLucas. The officer says Lucas was cordial and cooperative when she spoke with him. @KOAA

#Lucas also alleged #Schelling had threatened to commit suicide in the past, but was vague on what that meant or when she said it. The officer mentions Lucas "did not seem concerned" about #Schelling. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]5m
That's the call where #Lucas claims #Schelling told him to leave her alone. But when the officer asks to see the call log on #Lucas' phone, he told her he clears out his recent calls and texts at the end of every day. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 6m
He does however mention the phone call he allegedly got from a private number - he has said that's the last time he spoke to #Schelling. The officer says at first, Lucas said that call was on February 10, but then changed his answer, and said it happened on February 9.
@KOAA

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 1m
The defense had the officer confirm they never found a crime scene, and nothing looked out of the ordinary at either Lucas' grandmother's or mom's home. But the prosecution points out these visits were a good six days after February 5, and there would have been time to clean up.

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]4m
The defense points out there is no audio, video, or photo evidence of this discussion between the PPD officer and #DontheLucas. The officer says Lucas was cordial and cooperative when she spoke with him. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 8m
#Lucas also alleged #Schelling had threatened to commit suicide in the past, but was vague on what that meant or when she said it. The officer mentions Lucas "did not seem concerned" about #Schelling. @KOAA

Kasia Kerridge @KasiaKerridgeTV 3m
SCHELLING/LUCAS TRIAL DAY 5: Kelsie's brother and dad took the stand this morning, testifying the last times they heard and saw Kelsie, when they found out she was pregnant and how she went missing. Dad testified he didn't know much about Kelsie's personal life, including Lucas.

Kasia Kerridge @KasiaKerridgeTV 8m
Kelsie's former supervisor at work (Floor and Decor in Highlands Ranch) also took the stand, testifying how Kelsie was supposed to work the days following from when she went missing. Kelsie never showed up or called, which her boss said was unlike her.

Kasia Kerridge [URL='https://twitter.com/KasiaKerridgeTV']@KasiaKerridgeTV [/URL]1m
Kelsie's brother testified he and his stepdad went to Pueblo about a week after Kelsie went missing. He said they, accompanied by PPD officers, went to Lucas' mother's house, where they apparently spoke to Lucas himself, and went to Lucas' grandmother's house.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back