CO CO - Kelsie Schelling, 21, pregnant, Pueblo, 4 Feb 2013 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope someone covers it, I know Sam K originally said he had hoped to cover it, but he moved. It might be hard for people to cover it because of COVID, could be limiting who is let in.

This is one of the first cases here I really got invested in. Everything has been so hush hush from the start. We really know nothing on what kind of evidence they have against DL. Pueblo PD really dropped the ball from the start with this one, luckily CBI got involved a few years ago.

Also I saw that Kelsie's mom said the other day that she expects it to be pushed back again :( It's been pushed back so many times that this is just getting ridiculous at this point.

DL is from a small town where high school athletes are elevated citizens.

After talking to volunteer searchers more than 5 years ago, I'm speculating that this attitude influenced the local investigators. It seems to me his talents failed him at junior college (and all that this represented).

I'll have time now without a trial to go back and review the timeline of evidence.

Sad. Just sad. :(

:bump:

Again, catching up on the threads and this is a fabulous post as to information to catch up.

Click on above to expand.

"14. Donthe Lucas is then observed by surveillance video parking Kelsie’s car
at the Wal-Mart parking lot, located at 4080 West Northern Avenue in Pueblo. Donthe
exits the car and walks to the rear of the store where he was picked up by his mother,
Sara Lucas, and grandmother, Vivian Lucas."

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6slmuQoMVK3QkkzZUwxWmJERHM/view?hc_location=ufi

Link to lawsuit

41. Although Sara Lucas was regularly late paying her rent prior to February
of 2013, she started to pay her rent promptly in February of 2013. In September of 2013,
Sara Lucas’s landlord received notice that the utilities in her rental home were turned off.
He found that the house was vacated and trashed. Sara Lucas appears to have vacated her
Pueblo residence some months prior to September of 2013 because maggots covered the
kitchen and soiled laundry throughout the house. The landlord arranged for the required
repairs, including replacement of the carpet. When the carpet was pulled up in the living
room, the bottom was soaked with a substance that appeared to be blood, with several
drops leading from the living room and pooling in a closet. The landlord notified the
Pueblo Police Department and offered to give them access to the house. Although the
police would not investigate the scene at that time, the landlord waited several weeks for
the Pueblo Police Department to collect the carpet. When the landlord offered to bring
the carpet to the Pueblo Police Department, he was instructed not to bring the carpet.
Unaware of the entire matter that is the subject of this case, the landlord eventually
disposed of the carpet. After Detective Robinson contacted the landlord in January of
2014, the Pueblo Police Department decided not to conduct a further investigation on the
alleged blood found in Sara Lucas’s residence, although traces of blood could plausibly
be located to this date. The Pueblo Police Department Defendant’s shocking indifference
to securing the carpet or remaining biological traces at the former residence of Donthe
and Sara Lucas demonstrated the intentional abandonment of clearly inculpatory
evidence that is material to any criminal investigation of the disappearance and death of
Kelsie Schelling and to Plaintiffs’ wrongful death case against the Lucases
@dixiegirl1035 - do you have a new or valid link to these documents. TIA

Donthe Lucas trial for murder of Kelsie Schelling pushed back indefinitely

There is an issue involving the Colorado Supreme Court that will overtake the September trial date.

This comes after his trial has already been pushed back four times previously. Lucas’ most recent trial date was scheduled for this month.

The judge “simply vacated the current date, and we will re-set once the case comes back from the Supreme Court, but no one knows when that will be.

So unfair. Hasn’t her family been through enough already? I really hope justice is served in this case. Since it’s delayed indefinitely, I sure hope they find her remains to give the family a little closure and to seal DL’s fate. Maybe even slap a few charges on those that assisted in pulling off this senseless murder.

wow..

Donthe Lucas' trial to be moved again

PUEBLO — Donthe Lucas, the man who is accused of killing his pregnant girlfriend, was back in court on Thursday for a status conference.

Lucas was set to go on trial Dec. 1, but the trial will now be moved to another date. The prosecution requested this because one of their witnesses needs surgery.

https://www.koaa.com/news/covering-colorado/new-evidence-could-again-delay-donthe-lucas-trial

Jan 21, 2021

PUEBLO COUNTY — New evidence could once again delay the jury trial of the man facing murder charges in the disappearance of Kelsie Schelling.

Donthe Lucas is accused of murdering Schelling, his ex-girlfriend, in 2013.

Thursday, Lucas' lawyers said they recently received a report naming another possible suspect in the case,

The report was made last March by a Pueblo Police officer.

With the new evidence, there is a chance Lucas' trial could be moved to another date. That will be discussed at another hearing on Friday.

For now, jury selection is still scheduled for Monday, Jan. 25.

Schelling's body still has not been found.

I dunno... Personally, I think LE made some mistakes early with this case that forced a lawsuit by the victim's mother. Now, I hate thinking about an officer dropping another name last March and it's only now coming to light.

My sympathy pours out for KS mother and her family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member