CO - Mass shooting at King Soopers, 10 fatalities including 1 LEO, Boulder, 22 Mar 2021 *arrest*

The "associate of someone on an FBI watchlist" aspect is also vague and offers little information. The NYT article says: "The suspect’s identity was previously known to the F.B.I. because he was linked to another individual under investigation by the bureau, according to law enforcement officials." So his identity was known because he was "linked" to someone under investigation (does not say anything about what type of investigation, nor in what was he was linked). When vague things like this are stated it feels like the only thing it adds to the case is the ability for people to overinterpret them. And when the suspect is not white, a lot of cultural assumptions are added into what these things can mean.

This story is as old as humanity and repeats itself every day. The vast majority of these people are not mentally ill. Rather, they are just inherently aggressive people making a variety of destructive choices.
RSBM

I agree, may as well try to explain why Cain killed Abel. Some people enjoy creating and loving, others choose destroying and hating.

I tend to believe hate and destructiveness looks for and finds scapegoats to blame. Whether one's wife, family, ethnic, religious or political group, or society as a whole, someone who wants to unload their violent impulses will find a target to unleash them on.

Boulder Police Department video of the Uncle of Rikki Olds speaking.

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1gqGvopkolQJB

ExPvJAvXMAIxczx

Boulder Shooting Victim Was Store Manager and 'Beautiful Young Angel,' Says Family

Last edited:
RSBM

I agree, may as well try to explain why Cain killed Abel. Some people enjoy creating and loving, others choose destroying and hating.

I tend to believe hate and destructiveness looks for and finds scapegoats to blame. Whether one's wife, family, ethnic, religious or political group, or society as a whole, someone who wants to unload their violent impulses will find a target to unleash them on.
Very well said. I especially like the summary of Cain and Abel.

The following news article shows the "stories" of each of the victims. Tremendous losses to their loved ones.

Here's What We Know About The Victims Of The Boulder Shooting

Excerpt: (Daughter of victim, Kevin Mahoney)

Erika Mahoney
MahoneyEb

News Director of KAZU Public Radio

I am heartbroken to announce that my Dad, my hero, Kevin Mahoney, was killed in the King Soopers shooting in my hometown of Boulder, CO. My dad represents all things Love. I'm so thankful he could walk me down the aisle last summer.

Last edited:
Except in a court of law.

There are legal requirements for a crime to be classified as "terrorism." I posted the FBI definitions a few posts above.

This crime might fit the definition, but just because a crime is horrible (terrorizing) doesn't legally mean it's terrorism.

jmo
Yes, I would think if police believed this was an act of terrorism the FBI would be leading the investigation.

It seems more likely the killer believed he was being persecuted or targeted because of his race or religious beliefs (the "grievance,") and because of his anger issues, was likely a time bomb waiting to go off. That he was anti-social, and possibly isolating (since the neighbors said they rarely saw him,) and possibly emotionally disturbed, may have been a dangerous combination.

I haven't seen any mention of him having a job. What did he do in the years after he graduated from high school? Was he just living in the family home and not attending college or working?

Teri Leiker, 51

"Leiker, 51, was a longtime King Soopers employee who was shot and killed along with 9 others Monday at the Table Mesa Drive location. She was also a member of Boulder’s “intellectual and developmental disabilities community,” according to a statement from Special Olympics Colorado."

The nonprofit organization said Leiker “brought life and light to all she did.”

Boulder shooting victim: Teri Leiker, King Soopers employee and CU Buffs supporter, killed in mass shooting

Lynn Murray, 62

"When Olivia Mackenzie received the call that her mom — 62-year-old Lynn Murray — was inside a grocery store with an active shooter, she raced down from Nederland, driving with a brace on her broken leg amid blowing snow."

“I was just praying that I didn’t crash, break my leg even more and that my mom was alive,” the 24-year-old said.

"Tears filling her eyes, Mackenzie said, “My mom was the least deserving person to die this way.”

"Mackenzie described her mom as her favorite person."

“She was the most beautiful person I ever met,” Mackenzie said. “She is the warmest, kindest, most positive person.”

Lynn Murray, 62, retired photo editor, killed in mass shooting

Tralona Bartkowiak, 49

Tralona "Lonna" Bartkowiak was a founder with her sister of Umba, a clothing and art store in downtown Boulder.

"Fueled by their passion for travel, music, and art, the two of them began selling clothing at music venues, festivals, and local fairs, and Umba came to be," the shop's Facebook page says.

Her brother, Michael Bartkowiak, told The New York Times that she was the eldest of four siblings in a close-knit family. He described her as "an amazing person, just a beam of light."

He said that she had recently become engaged and that their family had gathered last month in southern Oregon. She lived in a house outside Boulder that she shared with her Chihuahua, Opal, her brother said.

Suzanne Fountain, 59

"Friends and colleagues remembered Suzanne Fountain in interviews as “incredibly warm” and “absolutely lovely.”

The 59-year-old financial counselor in the health care industry was well-known across Boulder not only because she enrolled hundreds of clients in Medicare, but also by fans of the local theater who had watched her perform.

Fountain was one of 10 people who were fatally shot Monday at a King Soopers in Boulder.

“She was simply a very genuine person with tons of integrity,” said Hilarie Kavanagh, owner of Medicare Licensed Agents in Boulder where Fountain had been an agent since 2018."

“She was always bright and incredibly warm,” Kavanagh said. “You could just see it in her eyes.”

"Fountain’s work as a Medicare agent was critical to hundreds of seniors enrolling in the system for the first time, Kavanagh said, and helping them navigate the loopholes and pitfalls."

Boulder shooting victim: Suzanne Fountain, financial counselor and theater buff, killed in mass shooting

Jody Waters, 65

"Shapiro said Island Farm, the women’s boutique where Waters worked, was one of the premier spots on the mall. And Waters was a favorite among shoppers, with many of them seeing her as a friend, he added.

“It sounds like a cliche, but she would light up a room,” Shapiro said.

"State Rep. Judy Amabile, whose Boulder district includes the King Soopers, knew Waters and honored her on the floor of the Colorado House of Representatives on Tuesday."

Boulder shooting victim: Jody Waters, businesswoman, killed in mass shooting

Neven Stanisic, 23

"Neven Stanisic was the son of Serbian refugees from Bosnia who came to the U.S. in the 1990s and was hard-working and faithful, church leaders said Tuesday.

At 23 years old, Stanisic was the next-to-youngest victim in the shooting Monday.

"His family fled the war in the former Yugoslavia and everything they had was either left behind or destroyed," the Rev. Radovan Petrovic of Saint John the Baptist told The Denver Post.

"They left everything to save their lives, and came here to have a new start."

"Stanisic was working for a company that maintained coffee machines. He had just finished working on a machine at the Starbucks in the grocery store, police told the family, according to Petrovic. Stanisic was likely the first victim, having just gotten into his car, where he was shot."

Yes, I would think if police believed this was an act of terrorism the FBI would be leading the investigation.

It seems more likely the killer believed he was being persecuted or targeted because of his race or religious beliefs (the "grievance,") and because of his anger issues, was likely a time bomb waiting to go off. That he was anti-social, and possibly isolating (since the neighbors said they rarely saw him,) and possibly emotionally disturbed, may have been a dangerous combination.

I haven't seen any mention of him having a job. What did he do in the years after he graduated from high school? Was he just living in the family home and not attending college or working?

This is an interesting link regarding emotional disturbances in children and adolescents. Alissa seems to check off several boxes. The population percentages are discouraging. Current social isolation can exacerbate any issues an individual could have. We've seen umpteen videos of meltdowns by the general population so ramp that up 1000 percent for someone with pre existing issues.

Emotional Disturbance | Center for Parent Information and Resources

Denny Stong 20

Denny Stong, 20, was an avid model-airplane flyer and builder who loved motorcycles and was preparing for his first big Civil War reenactment, according to interviews with friends and Stong’s social media accounts.

The 20-year-old Boulder resident was the youngest of the 10 people fatally shot Monday at a King Soopers.

Stong’s Facebook page identified him as working at the King Soopers on Table Mesa Drive, where he started on Dec. 25, 2018, according to a post. On March 22, 2020, he posted, “I can’t stay home, I’m a grocery store worker” — a note shared in solidarity with other frontline retail and service workers during the early days of the pandemic.

Boulder shooting victim: Denny Stong, model plane aficionado, killed in mass shooting

Eric Talley, 51

"Boulder police Officer Eric Talley is being mourned as a brave officer as well as a husband, a brother and father to seven children."

"Officer Eric Talley is my big brother. He died today in the Boulder shooting," a woman who identified herself as Talley's sister said on Twitter, posting a photo that appeared to show the two of them together when they were children.

"My heart is broken. I cannot explain how beautiful he was and what a devastating loss this is to so many," she added. "Fly high my sweet brother. You always wanted to be a pilot (damn color blindness). Soar."

Last edited:
Ahmad Alissa: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

3/23/21

A witness told police the suspect was first spotted outside Piggly Wiggly, where he shot out a vehicle window and pursued a man toward Broadway Street, according to court documents. In the parking lot of King Soopers, witnesses said he shot an “elderly man,” then stood over him and shot him multiple times.

Authorities said they spoke to Alissa in the hospital, but they didn’t immediately reveal any of the details of their interview or identify a motive.

“We don’t have the answer for that yet,” said Boulder District Attorney Michael Dougherty during a Tuesday press conference.

[..]

NBC’s Pete Williams said on MSNBC his federal sources told him there is no indication the shooting was an act of terror or a hate crime. Williams said if the motive was believed to be related to terrorism, the FBI would be the lead agency, but the Boulder Police are leading this investigation. The suspect’s family members revealed he “suffered from fairly severe mental problems, paranoia, thought people were always chasing him.” There were no known “records of encounters between him and law enforcement,” Williams said.

A witness told the Denver Post the gunman entered the grocery store, wordless, and opened fire.

“He didn’t say s***,” he said. “He just came in and started shooting.”

[..]

The roommate said the shooter “let off a couple of shots, then was silent, and then he let off a couple more. He wasn’t spraying.”

[..]

Fairview High School is also located just blocks away, the Denver Post reported. The Boulder Valley School District started spring break Monday, but two sports teams were practicing at the time of the shooting. The students were sent home, and nearby businesses were also placed on lockdown.

[..]

Alissa wrote on Facebook in 2017, “When we’re emotional or angry we tend to say things we don’t mean…..It’s best not to talk when your emotional.”

Alissa exchanged gunfire with officers who entered the grocery store minutes after they were called, officials alleged during a Tuesday morning press conference. He was injured in the gunfight and taken to a local hospital, where he was listed in stable condition at the time, they said. Officials said he suffered a gunshot wound to the leg. He was armed with a patrol rifle, Boulder Police Chief Maris Herold said. He was released from the hospital Tuesday afternoon and booked into Boulder County Jail, according to the jail roster.

This linked article is the first I've read of an alleged shooting at Piggly W before King Soopers. I'm not sure Police have confirmed this incient or if it's rumor.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Ahmad Alissa: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

3/23/21

A witness told police the suspect was first spotted outside Piggly Wiggly, where he shot out a vehicle window and pursued a man toward Broadway Street, according to court documents. In the parking lot of King Soopers, witnesses said he shot an “elderly man,” then stood over him and shot him multiple times.

Authorities said they spoke to Alissa in the hospital, but they didn’t immediately reveal any of the details of their interview or identify a motive.

“We don’t have the answer for that yet,” said Boulder District Attorney Michael Dougherty during a Tuesday press conference.

[..]

NBC’s Pete Williams said on MSNBC his federal sources told him there is no indication the shooting was an act of terror or a hate crime. Williams said if the motive was believed to be related to terrorism, the FBI would be the lead agency, but the Boulder Police are leading this investigation. The suspect’s family members revealed he “suffered from fairly severe mental problems, paranoia, thought people were always chasing him.” There were no known “records of encounters between him and law enforcement,” Williams said.

A witness told the Denver Post the gunman entered the grocery store, wordless, and opened fire.

“He didn’t say s***,” he said. “He just came in and started shooting.”

[..]

The roommate said the shooter “let off a couple of shots, then was silent, and then he let off a couple more. He wasn’t spraying.”

[..]

Fairview High School is also located just blocks away, the Denver Post reported. The Boulder Valley School District started spring break Monday, but two sports teams were practicing at the time of the shooting. The students were sent home, and nearby businesses were also placed on lockdown.

[..]

Alissa wrote on Facebook in 2017, “When we’re emotional or angry we tend to say things we don’t mean…..It’s best not to talk when your emotional.”

Alissa exchanged gunfire with officers who entered the grocery store minutes after they were called, officials alleged during a Tuesday morning press conference. He was injured in the gunfight and taken to a local hospital, where he was listed in stable condition at the time, they said. Officials said he suffered a gunshot wound to the leg. He was armed with a patrol rifle, Boulder Police Chief Maris Herold said. He was released from the hospital Tuesday afternoon and booked into Boulder County Jail, according to the jail roster.

This linked article is the first I've read of an alleged shooting at Piggly W before King Soopers. I'm not sure Police have confirmed this incient or if it's rumor.
So his family says they knew him to be paranoid, with severe mental problems? And yet his sis-in-law said she saw him with his new rifle a week before the shooting? Why didn't they take his weapon away?

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if the police thought it was an act of terrorism, they probably wouldn't say so publicly.

The shooters twitter page was quickly taken down. But before it was, I copied and pasted his most recent tweets. Only hours before the violent attack, he tweeted:

Ahmad Al-Issa (@ahmadalissa) · Twitter

https://twitter.com/ahmadalissa

#USA & #EU have a lot of #Syrian blood on their bloody hands. @Presidency_Sy @POTUS @Flotus @VP @SecBlinken @mfa_russia @Antonioguterres @jrpsaki @nytimes @cnni @BBCNews @RT_com
Twitter · 21 hours ago

#USA and #EU want to help the #Syrians by starving them, to liberate the Syrians by besieging them and to save the Syrians by slaughtering them. Pathetic! @Presidency_Sy @POTUS @VP @Antonioguterres @SecBlinken @jrpsaki
Twitter · 2 days ago
Yes, but it seems he acted alone. There's no evidence he was linked to a terrorist organization, but of course it's always possible. I would think we would have heard by now if the FBI had taken over the investigation. It could also be that his experiences in high school led him to take on more extremist views. Imo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daniel.braverman@braverla
Back