CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a list of facts about this shooter would be great. So far, he hits some major points on my attempt at a profile in thread one, not that this shooter is exactly the same as our CO shooter(s)...

So far we have:

1. Male
2. Single perp (or did he have help?)
3. Age 21
4. Caucasian
5. Works as a landscaper

What else?

Oh. Interesting indeed. In the most recent video here with Ms. Florias reports his dad considers any tipsters reporting his son "a moron," which seems not to be case according to LE, as no reward is to be given out. And Amanda Goodman reports his mom-in-law seems in disbelief.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/30067...pect-forensically-linked-to-first-4-shootings

Interesting, from the above link:

"Merritt was arrested at a Wal-Mart at 5600 W. Northern. DPS had reportedly been monitoring him all day."

Snip

"This arrest comes on the same day charges were dropped against an Avondale man detained as a "person of interest" in connection with the string of freeway shootings."

*just wondering if the other guy might still be in custody as a POI had Merritt not pawned the gun.

So, a list of facts about this shooter would be great. So far, he hits some major points on my attempt at a profile in thread one, not that this shooter is exactly the same as our CO shooter(s)...

So far we have:

1. Male
3. Age 21
4. Caucasian
5. Works as a landscaper

What else?

I would very much like to know a lot about his on-line and off-line gaming habits, besides his liking long range shooting.

The schedule for the NOCO shooter/s, hmm... remember it seemed like they may have had more time during the week than the weekends to spend on the highway.

AZ shooter suspect.jpg

From information posted by Foxfire.

http://www.azcentral.com/picture-ga...o-freeway-shooting-calls-in-phoenix/71954986/

Maybe this guy should have his own thread, since it would appear he has nothing to do with Colorado?

Maybe this guy should have his own thread, since it would appear he has nothing to do with Colorado?

Strongly disagree. We do not know anything about him right now, what or who he has to do with. Can't you see already how much this has stimulated this thread, discussion of pawning firearms, profiling, possible insight, new members, LE's approach, hope for locals finally lol...the list goes on. This is EXACTLY what we need right now here in this thread for many reasons imo.

I see you've come around. In thread one you seemed to oppose Katy's post of this being nothing short of domestic terrorism.

I don't think the Colorado situation is the same as the Arizona one, and confusing them together will lead to confused thinking.

I don't think the Colorado situation is the same as the Arizona one, and confusing them together will lead to confused thinking.

I dont think anyone is saying they are exactly the same. Just because the cases are compared, it does not mean they are considered identical or even related. Just hoping some insight can possibly be gained here.

Agree to disagree.

Qmfr:

So far we have:

1. Male
3. Age 21
4. Caucasian
5. Works as a landscaper

What else?

6. Married / in a relationship (has a small child or step daughter?)

Alright, I was in bed, but had to jump up and turn everything back on to post bc I just had a couple thoughts I do not want to have forgotten in the morning:

In the confirmed AZ instances involving LAM, the first 4 shootings to which he has been ballistically linked, do we have any photos of the windshields to compare against some of our "shatterings"? Of course the speed, distances, etc will be different significant variables, as well as the possible caliber (maybe not), but with LAM we would have a definitive photo of what a windshield in motion that has been hit by a firearm looks like for sure...(and also could compare it to a rock, bb, etc)...

Also, if we look at the first post in every thread, note I wrote 4 incidents in 3 days or something like that... well, since in AZ copycats seem to have sprung up so quickly, maybe we should turn our attention back to the first few shootings...

Alright, I was in bed, but had to jump up and turn everything back on to post bc I just had a couple thoughts I do not want to have forgotten in the morning:

In the confirmed AZ instances involving LAM, the first 4 AZ shootings to which he has been ballistically linked, do we have any photos of the windshields to compare against some of our "shatterings"? Of course the speed, distances etc will be different variables, as well as the possible caliber (maybe not), but with LAM we would have a definitive photo of what a windshield in motion that has been hit by a firearm looks like for sure...(and also could compare it to a rock, bb, etc)...

Also, if we look at the first post in every thread, note I wrote 4 incidents in 3 days or something like that... well, since in AZ copycats seem to have sprung up so quickly, maybe we should turn our attention back to the first few shootings...

Great thoughts. Agreed, the first shootings do look compelling as you consider them.

Great thoughts. Agreed, the first shootings do look compelling as you consider them.

I wonder if Merritt switched up any firearms for any other shootings to which the 9mm has not been linked. Note he used a handgun, but he was a long range rifle enthusiast. And did he just fire out the window or did he have a setup/hole contraption like Malvo?

And that car posted above, I wonder if that was the vehicle he used in the shootings, or just happened to be in that one when he was arrested.

Did someone submit a tip about him, and then they learned about the pawnshop and were able to get the evidence they needed, or did the tip come from the pawnshop, etc (I doubt it unless they were suspicious at the shop or there was a gun BOLO...maybe they followed him there or pinged him there?)...
How do pings play a role, if any... what all played a role...did he brag to others, did his wife suspect anything...did he know about NOCO, is he in communication with any other like minded individuals or groups... what triggered this...so many questions....

I noticed some folks overseas on his fb that he tagged on the rifle pic...

Firing a 9mm at cars on the highway, an obvious intent to maim and kill. I expect and hope for attempted murder charges to follow.

And the Governor made the announcement...is our Governor even monotoring our situation here?

I wonder if Merritt switched up any firearms for any other shootings to which the 9mm has not been linked. Note he used a handgun, but he was a long range rifle enthusiast. And did he just fire out the window or did he have a setup/hole contraption like Malvo?

And that car posted above, I wonder if that was the vehicle he used in the shootings, or just happened to be in that one when he was arrested.

Did someone submit a tip about him, and then they learned about the pawnshop and were able to get the evidence they needed, or did the tip come from the pawnshop, etc (I doubt it unless they were suspicious at the shop or there was a gun BOLO...maybe they followed him there or pinged him there?)...
How do pings play a role, if any... what all played a role...did he brag to others, did his wife suspect anything...did he know about NOCO, is he in communication with any other like minded individuals or groups... what triggered this...so many questions....

I noticed some folks overseas on his fb that he tagged on the rifle pic...

Firing a 9mm at cars on the highway, an obvious intent to maim and kill. I expect and hope for attempted murder charges to follow.

And the Governor made the announcement...is our Governor even monotoring our situation here?

Again, those are great questions, magz.

It has been a very different approach in many ways in AZ. The NOCO Task Force upping the award this past week and appealing for direct information from the public may mean they have been monitoring the AZ shooting investigation. The big differences of course are the two fatalities. Mr. Bill Connole and Mr. John Jacoby were murdered and Cory, fortunately survived.

Speculating, based on one version of impressions, for the moment:

If the shootings/shatterings and killings in NOCO are the same perp/s, whether it may have set off the same kind of copycat incidents as in AZ or not, the killing has stopped since the Spring, if not the shootings and shatterings. Whomever did the NOCO shootings seem to have had more time and leeway to plan within their comfort zone in the late fall to early winter last year, if those shatterings of cars on side streets are linked. Based on the age group that seems involved and the schedule of previous incidents in NOCO, the perp/s hit hardest in the Spring.

(Gee, ya think we would have gotten any kind of update (and possibly increasing of reward) if not for the wide media coverage (and communicative LE) in the AZ incidents?)

(Eta: Maybe I'm being a little too harsh...perhaps the recent shots fired on a medical facility and school upped their approach?)

Trying to catch up here but in response to this, at the press conference David Moore said that the reward might be increased further if it turns out the shootings of the buildings can be linked to the other shootings...

Bumping:
Imo, this would indicate that the bullet/projectile was likely fired from a rifle or shotgun. I did a little research on several gun and ballistics forums/blogs and came up with an approximate temperature of a bullet fired 100' from a long barreled gun: over 500 degrees F.. jmo

Guess, it would depend on the range, the muzzle velocity, the barrel length, and many other variables in Pamela Wooten's rear window shattering of her pickup truck<AZ>.. I think the 1st law of thermodynamics indicates that the kinetic energy of the bullet's velocity turns into heat upon impact.. So the bullet/projectile would be hotter at impact than while flying through the air. There is also heat caused by the powder ignition and friction by the bullet as it passes through the gun barrel.

SugarQueen, the 1" size of the black metal ball/projectile is also interesting. How would this have been missed if a proper investigation had been conducted? Imo, this is a perfect example of why so many of the NOCO I-25 car window shatterings were deemed to be caused by side winding road debris..

LAM is a gun enthusiast and he said at his bond hearing that his 9mm handgun linked to the 4 shootings has been in the pawn shop for the past couple of months.
On his facebook page which has now been deleted, LAM had posted a photo of a pump shotgun, with the caption; 'This is my Baby'..
With that said, this may explain the reported 1" size of the black metal ball found melted into the floorboard of a shooting victim's vehicle mentioned in the above bumped post.. A shotgun slug would measure approximately 3/4 to 1" after striking a hard surface.
Shotgun shells may may also explain the BBs found in some of the shattered window vehicles..jmo

In the confirmed AZ instances involving LAM, the first 4 shootings to which he has been ballistically linked, do we have any photos of the windshields to compare against some of our "shatterings"? Of course the speed, distances, etc will be different significant variables, as well as the possible caliber (maybe not), but with LAM we would have a definitive photo of what a windshield in motion that has been hit by a firearm looks like for sure...(and also could compare it to a rock, bb, etc)...

Good point. We now know for sure what a side window looks like when it's been hit by a real bullet while in motion. The photo below (from AZDPS, via NBC 12 News) is from the 8/29/15 11:10 a.m. shooting that DPS laid to Merritt's 9mm pistol. Unlike any of the NOCO side windows, this one is almost entirely intact.

I had only ever seen similar photos of little puncture holes in fractured, but otherwise intact glass when Marshall Zelinger of 7ABC News in Denver ran some tests. He had .22 and a 9mm rounds shot at stationary car side windows. (He also ran a couple of test of a slingshot hit with a rock against a car window. There was a much bigger hole, but again the glass stayed intact.)

Can anyone think why the side window glass always breaks away in the NOCO shatterings, but stayed intact in Phoenix? Might the Phoenix window have been one of the new laminated products? Might the performance of the windows in NOCO have something to do with frangible bullets? Is I-25 bumpier than I-10?

Hole from Merritt's 9 mm on 8/29/15:

635766323201616457-I-10-shooting-truck.JPG

Zelinger test using a 9 mm pistol round, from this story:
7NEWS tests what different car windows look like after they're hit with a rock, shot by a bullet

Rocks_vs_bullets__A_look_at_window_damag_3077370000_20044486_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

This is as intact as they got in NOCO, from the photos we've seen:

Another_vehicle_window_shatters_on_I_25_3072210000_19979012_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Source: 7 News ABC, Pickup truck window mysteriously shattered along I-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors