CO CO - Robert Charles Browne - possibly connected to 48 slayings

Unknown Victims of Browne:

HOLIDAY INN LADY
New Orleans, LA
1975 or 1979
Female left dead in hotel room.
Holiday Inn Browne described was never located.
Victim claimed to be from south Philadelphia.
Never located

COWBOY LADY
Colorado Springs, CO
1990-1994
Dressed in western-type clothing
strangled
wrapped her in plastic
Dumped body possibly in and around area off Gold Coast Road in Skagway Reservoir.
Never located.

SCENIC OVERLOOK GUY
Washington State
Male shot with.357 Ruger revolver
Dumped body over north side the east-west Interstate 90.
Never located

COUPLE ON THE BEACH
Pacific Coast Highway
Approximately 200 miles north of San Francisco
Shot couple on the beach with .357 Ruger and left them under some driftwood.
Never located.

SOLDIER IN KOREA
1970-1971
Broke victim's (male) neck.
Never located.

TWO MALES IN MISSISSIPPI
Interstate 10, near the Alabama border.
Shot victims in the chest with a .44 magnum
Dumped bodies in a swampy area just north of the Interstate.
Never located

Unknown victims of Browne:

CAJAN LADY
Morgan City, LA
Late 1970s
Short dark hair, dark eyes
In her thirties
Wearing a blouse/skirt/wedding ring
Strong cajan accent
Strangled, dumped body off Atchafalaya River bridge
Never located

HILLTOP BAR LADY
Natchitoches, LA
Woman was from Mansfield, LA
She was married/husband worked for International Paper Company in Mansfield, LA
She was driving a pick-up truck.
strangled
Dumped in the Red River.
Never located.

NORTHERN NEW MEXICO MOTORCYCLIST
Highway 64, New Mexico
Male, possibly named David Allen Weaver as a motorcycle had been located in this area abandoned registered to this name.
Never located.

I don't know why, but I am a bit skeptical about everything this guy is fessing up to.
I don't doubt for a minute that he is guilty of several murders, but it seemed to me after reading the interviews that he is giving them extremely vague information so they will investigate, tie him to some unsolved cases and still not have enough to prosecute.
I think that he is bored, and wanted some perks, so he is running investigators around knowing that he will get some attention.

It just struck me as odd that he would give them definate information on the few that he is for sure tied to, but is so vague about others. I think that someone who is so obsessive about killing people would remember a lot more....

Just my .02

dontpanic38 said:
I don't know why, but I am a bit skeptical about everything this guy is fessing up to.
I don't doubt for a minute that he is guilty of several murders, but it seemed to me after reading the interviews that he is giving them extremely vague information so they will investigate, tie him to some unsolved cases and still not have enough to prosecute.
I think that he is bored, and wanted some perks, so he is running investigators around knowing that he will get some attention.

It just struck me as odd that he would give them definate information on the few that he is for sure tied to, but is so vague about others. I think that someone who is so obsessive about killing people would remember a lot more....

Just my .02
I know what you mean dontpanic38.. The one thing that all serial killer have in common is a huge ego. They want to be notorious as the worst, the one who killed the most etc. It seems that the dectective, Hess is having to feed Robert Charles Browne's ego to get bits of information. I am sure to RCB it is a power game. Let's hope the information is accurate and it can bring closure to more of these unsolved cases though.

http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1319791&secid=1
Posting this link. Browne links to missing children sought
A missing children’s group wants to see if confessed serial killer Robert Charles Browne could be linked to any of the missing children in its national database, El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa said Monday.

dragonfly said:
http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1319653&secid=47

Browne said he killed people in Washington state, California, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi and his home state of Louisiana, including his hometown, Coushatta, where residents were stunned by the news.

I believe this thread should be moved to the Bradford area. With two SK's seemingly overlapping...the info could be importent when compared.

concernedperson said:
I believe this thread should be moved to the Bradford area. With two SK's seemingly overlapping...the info could be importent when compared.
Hi concernedperson, I totally agree. Do you know how to make that happen?

I find it fascinating that this Browne man followed the news stories about his victims so closely, pointing out to police when there were suspects (other than him) in the cases and when bodies were and were not found.

Does anyone have a current count so far on how many victims have been described thus far? I know he said around 48, but there seems to be way less than that has been mentioned so far.

Hollow said:

COUPLE ON THE BEACH
Pacific Coast Highway
Approximately 200 miles north of San Francisco
Shot couple on the beach with .357 Ruger and left them under some driftwood.
Never located.
These were the Christian Camp Counselors Jason somebody & Lindsey Cutshall that were engaged and killed on the beach in Jenner, CA. Correct?

dontpanic38 said:

Just my .02
I totally agree with you. I also think Browne is just trying to draw attention to himself. So do others:

Criminal profilers caution that self-professed serial killer Robert Charles Browne should not be taken at his word.

It will require more than his ramblings and often vague descriptions to prove whether he is one of the most prolific killers in the nation's history, they say.

"Each case, you have to evaluate on its own merits," said Brent Turvey, a criminal profiler, forensic scientist and author of Criminal Profiling: An Introduction to Behavioral Evidence Analysis.

"A lot of (self-professed serial killers) want to be perceived as smarter, more prolific and tougher than they really are," he said.

If Browne's confessions prove true, he will surpass Gary Leon Ridgway, the Green River Killer, as the nation's worst serial killer.

Ridgway was convicted in 2003 of 48 murders.

Gregg McCrary, a former FBI profiler and author of The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us, finds it highly suspicious that Browne claims 49 killings, upping Ridgway's total by one. "Why that number?" McCrary asked. "You just have to be very careful and not rush to judgment."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4884991,00.html

LinasK said:
These were the Christian Camp Counselors Jason somebody & Lindsey Cutshall that were engaged and killed on the beach in Jenner, CA. Correct?
No, sorry, they were killed in 2004. Browne was already in prison then.

Hollow said:
I find it fascinating that this Browne man followed the news stories about his victims so closely, pointing out to police when there were suspects (other than him) in the cases and when bodies were and were not found.

Does anyone have a current count so far on how many victims have been described thus far? I know he said around 48, but there seems to be way less than that has been mentioned so far.
this link mentions 20. http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1319653&secid=47
While El Paso County officials have linked him to 20 killings and believe he likely has more victims, authorities elsewhere refused to name Robert Charles Browne as a suspect in their unsolved cases.

Browne said he killed people in Washington state, California, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi and his home state of Louisiana, including his hometown, Coushatta, where residents were stunned by the news

Family members of two women whom serial killer Robert Charles Browne says he killed in his hometown in 1983 say the cases were botched by authorities.

“If he had been stopped then, there’d be a whole lot more people alive today,” said Kathy Cole, sister of Faye Aline Self, 26, whom Browne said he poisoned with chloroform in her apartment.

Documents have been lost, crime scenes not secured.
http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1319822&secid=47

"My heart goes out to these families who have waited so long for answers."

It could take months before law enforcement agencies across the country, including in Colorado, know whether they can link unsolved homicides to self-professed serial killer Robert Charles Browne.

DNA samples, many of them more than two decades old, have been shipped off for analysis to state crime laboratories, often burdened with a backlog of cases.

The Colorado Bureau of Investigation will not say how many samples of DNA from cold cases have been sent to them.

In Texas, the Sugar Land Police Department is hoping DNA samples collected from a 1984 killing will link Browne to the slaying and dismemberment of Nidia Mendoza, 17. It could take months, Capt. Gary Cox said. "They're trying their hardest to get it to us as soon as possible," he said. "But Mr. Browne is not going anywhere. We want to follow the right procedures."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4887206,00.html

Browne is a good candidate for the DP in Texas. He knew confidential info on the Mendoza case. I'm more then sure the DNA evidence will point to him. That will probably prompt him to talk more about other murders to avoid the DP.

DUBLIN — Ilene Misheloff was a 13-year-old girl walking home from school on Jan. 30, 1989. Robert Charles Brown was more than half-way into his alleged serial killing spree, and possibly was living in California at the time of Misheloffs disappearance, authorities say.

With Browns recent confession in Colorado that he is responsible for nearly 50 unsolved murders throughout the country — seven of the allegations corroborated by authorities — Dublin Police are trying to determine if he may have been involved in the Misheloff case.
http://www.insidebayarea.com/trivalleyherald/localnews/ci_4135570

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/290dfca.html

I noticed this new victim from Texas on the DoeNetwork today. She is very small, which is a trait that Browne selected in his victims.

The Doe Network:
Case File 542UFTX

542UFTX.jpg

Victim's Ring

Unidentified White or Hispanic Female

• The victim was discovered on November 4, 1986 near Rockdale, Milam County, Texas
  • Estimated Date of Death: October 25, 1986 - November 4, 1986
  • Cause of Death: Blunt trauma to back of head.
  • Moderate Decomposition - facial features indistinguishable.

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 16-25 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2"; 90-100 lbs..
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Reddish or dark brown hair which appeared to be bleached to a reddish blonde; double pierced ears; misaligned teeth in poor condition.
  • Dentals: Available
  • Clothing/Jewelry: She was nude except for a cheap yellow metal ring on one of her fingers (it is unknown which finger).
  • DNA: Possible DNA after planned future exhumation.

Case History
The victim was located at 1:45pm on US 77 south of Rockdale by a telephone company repairman, in Milam County, Texas on November 4, 1986.
Her body was lying face down, nude. She had been in the elements for possibly a week. Authorities are in the planning stages of exhuming the body to obtain the skull for a possible reconstruction and DNA submission. The body was buried 20 years ago in a cemetery in Dallas, Texas.
No suspects or leads have ever came forward in this case.

Map of Rockdale, Texas

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Milam County Sheriff's Office
Investigator Greg J. Kouba
254-697-7033

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: 10,877

NCIC Number:
U-221806001

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
Milam County Sheriff's Office

Police seek help with cold case

State police want to talk to anyone in New Mexico and the Southwest region with a male relative or friend between 30 and 40 who went missing in the early 1990s and has not been found. Investigators want to take DNA samples from potential family members and try to match it with a skull found by a hunter near Tres Piedras in 1994, said Sgt. Tom Christian. Investigators believe the dead man might have been killed by a Colorado man who claims he killed up to 48 people, including two in New Mexico, Christian said.

The skull the hunter found had a gunshot wound and was believed to have been from an adult white male, probably of Hispanic descent, according to a state police news release. The man likely died in 1992 or 1993 and was probably born between 1950 and 1960, the release states.

Christian said he recently got a call from FBI agents alerting him to the 1994 skull find. Anyone with information is asked to call him at 841-9228.

(more at link)

Convicted Colorado killer Robert Charles Browne's boasts of leaving four dozen victims strewn across the nation have never been proved, say police officials in several states, and some have concluded he's lying.

Browne, serving life in prison for two murders in El Paso County, has told investigators of 47 more killings in nine states and overseas.

His claims, news of which broke last July, sparked fresh hope among families and friends that the long-unsolved murders of their loved ones might finally be resolved. And Browne's willingness to talk about other killings was a key factor in sparing him from a death sentence.

But after detectives scurried from Arkansas to California to find body dump sites and pored over dusty case files, some say they now disbelieve Browne's claims. And in most of the killings claimed by Browne, authorities have no proof that a murder ever took place.

"Some of the things he said are not panning out," said Tela Mange of the Department of Public Safety in Texas, where Browne claims seven murders. "It's not uncommon. People will admit to things they didn't do."

Browne boasted that New Orleans was fertile ground for his murders, but "we haven't found any evidence to support any of the alleged murders he claims to have committed," said Officer Sabrina Richardson, spokeswoman for the New Orleans Police Department.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_5408768

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back