CO CO - Robert Pillsen-Rahier, 15, Colorado Springs, 6 Jul 1990

This is odd. It seemed reasonable to doubt the nature of the Cheyenne Mesa facility, given the story and the reputation of such places in past years. However, on looking I quickly found former staff who seemed well qualified with degrees in psychology and relevant postgraduate qualifications (see https://www.linkedin.com/in/connie-ulmer-11b38310/ and https://www.google.co.uk/search?q="...I_RwQKxoruoDw&start=10&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=662# and https://www.livecareer.com/resume-search/r/social-worker-iii-95722791 )

Of course, this in no way precludes the treatment centre having other unqualified or unsuitable staff, and does not explain the holes in their story of the disappearance. But it does not appear to have been a complete scam.

Be interesting to know if those former staff members remember anything about his disappearance.

Every time I drive by where Cheyenne Mesa used to be, I wonder what happened. Did he run away? (And, if so, why wasn't the treatment center in trouble for that? Do inpatient mental health centers have no responsibility to their patients, even ones who aren't adults?) Did something happen to him (accidentally or otherwise) and people at the facility covered it up? Neither quite makes sense to me.

If he did run away after talking to his mom on the phone, I would have thought he'd have gone home. Or to someone else he knew. (Though some of the reports on the case say he had run away before and others say he hadn't.)

But it's also a little hard to believe that he could have died at the facility and it been successfully covered up for all this time. Not that it's impossible, just... unlikely. Too many potential witnesses, and all.

What's also weird is, I don't think the case was in the news much until years later. I don't know. Everything just seems a bit off, and always has.

Here for Robert and his family. His case came up on my social media today. I think we need to get a bunch of WS members to look at this one. He was failed by this "treatment facility" and possibly law enforcement afterwards, in my opinion.

I wonder if this is Robert?
I suggested the match to doenetwork a while ago. Haven't heard anything back.
CASE NUMBER - 2542UMCO
I don't believe there is a namus profile

Is there a Websleuths case for this Doe? I'm not finding it with the keyword searches I'm using. Could someone else please try? If not, this child needs a case here, too.

I think it is time to separate two different issues on this thread. The first is 'did something bad happen to Robert at Cheyenne Mesa?'. The second is ' was Cheyenne Mesa a proper treatment facility or some sort of scam?'. A raft of posts on this thread seem to be making the assumption that if Robert did suffer at Cheyenne Mesa then it is proof that the facility was a sham. The latter does not follow the former.

There is plenty of evidence that Cheyenne Mesa was, at least, a properly funded and manned facility. I have referenced academic qualifications of past staff in post #21 above and further evidence can be easily found, such as the reference to special education certified teachers at Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph Archives, Aug 6, 1992, p. 61. That is not a trivial qualification. However, children (and others) can suffer harm at the best of educational and treatment institutions. The reference to bloody underwear would be a warning sign for me as well as previous posters and would make me wonder about another possible abuse scandal. I am less familiar with the US, but such scandals at top British schools have only emerged years after the events, despite them having occurred at schools with the best staff and the problems being well known within the schools at the time.

My best guess is that Cheyenne Mesa was a proper facility, but that there may be some very nasty secrets to be uncovered despite their status. If I were LE I would be looking to interview as many inmates and staff as possible from the early 90s. It only requires one crack in the facade to bring a story to light. If there was abuse at Cheyenne Mesa it is only one step up to something worse.

CASE NUMBER - 2542UMCO

I created a case today here on WS for this unidentified Doe. I found a NamUs case but on NamUs, the age estimate is 16 - 20 years old. Everything else matches including date found, so I think they're the same case.

I can't see rule-outs on NamUs, but hopefully they have investigated, or are in the process of investigating, whether this could be Robert.

CO - Creede, Mineral County, WhtMale, 11 - 16 (NamUs 16 - 20), 5 Sep 1991

CASE NUMBER - 2542UMCO
Sorry to be responding to such an old post. When I look at the case linked, there in no DNA, no fingerprints, and no dentals. That being said, is there anyway to compare this UID to Bobbie when none of the info. I mentioned is available?

I just learned about this case today on a podcast episode. I highly recommend giving it a listen LAST SEEN ALIVE. The episode was released today, 3/27/23. Shout out to Leah and Scott the hosts of the show. I think they did an excellent job covering the case.

July 6 2023
''COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - It has been more than three decades since Robert Pillsen-Rahier was reported missing in Colorado Springs.

On Thursday, Colorado Springs Police shared a photo of Pillsen-Rahier from when he was a teenager along with an “age progression” photo.''
1688728278662.png

• robert_thomas_pillsen-rahier_1.jpg
  • robert_thomas_pillsen-rahier_3.jpg
  • robert_thomas_pillsen-rahier_4.jpg
  • pillsen-rahier_robert5.jpg
  • pillsen-rahier_robert_ap.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors