CO CO - Roger Ellison, 17, Cedaredge, 10 Feb 1981 #2

Where was there a septic tank? I don't think JP had anything to do with this. The stories involving his connections to drugs were rumors. Today, if those rumors were true, he would be out of a job so fast and if convicted could serve jail time. Can't see JP involved here. Somebody would have had to have seen him leaving with Roger, doing something to him, and than JP returning to school to teach. Too fast of a timeframe IMO.

Somebody saw Roger leaving the school that morning and possibly more. Much more.

Satch
Satch Cedaredge native mentioned this at the end of their post. Simply another theory, but interesting nonetheless. There are cases where killers did use septic tanks to dispose of bodies.

Where was there a septic tank? I don't think JP had anything to do with this. The stories involving his connections to drugs were rumors. Today, if those rumors were true, he would be out of a job so fast and if convicted could serve jail time. Can't see JP involved here. Somebody would have had to have seen him leaving with Roger, doing something to him, and than JP returning to school to teach. Too fast of a timeframe IMO.

Somebody saw Roger leaving the school that morning and possibly more. Much more.

Satch
Satch Cedaredge native mentioned this at the end of their post. Simply another theory, but interesting nonetheless. There are cases where killers did use septic tanks to dispose of bodies.
Great article here!

High School Mystery: The Strange Disappearance of Roger Ellison - True Crime Diva

Why would Mr. Pash have the kids turn in there homework at his house instead of school? Roger had to do this on days that he wanted to go skiing. Why not just leave assignments on Mr. Pash's desk in his room? Or in the mailbox at the school office?

Satch
Satch I read this article from True crime diva about a year ago. It is very informative. Yes why would Roger turn his homework in to JP? Maybe when he finished his homework the School was closed? That article had a quote from former Sheriff Blair stating he did have a concern about that. In the blog (help solve a cold case) the author posted an interesting response from a supposedly former student, who claims that students did go to JP’s house after school. The person made suggestions of inappropriate behavior going on during that time. Could Roger have been involved in this some how?

I have followed Roger's case on here for a long time. I wish one day we could find out what happened to him to. I wish someone would speak up.

I don't think he committed suicide either. It does make me sad though that he was bullied.

Today marks 41 years since Roger disappeared. He skied in Telluride on February 7 and 8, 1981, which was a Saturday and Sunday. On Monday February 9, 1981 he vanished. Most reports say February 10, because that’s the day his parents reported him missing. I pray that we will learn what happened and bring this to an end.

A SYMBOL OF THE MISSING THOUSANDS: DURANGO'S YOUNG UNKNOWN TRAVELER (Published 1982)
Here is an article about a male unidentified teenager who was struck and killed by a car near Durango Colorado in September of 1981. No lead was found to determine who the young man was, and it remains unknown. There was no evidence that it could have been Roger, in fact at the end of the article the author does discuss Roger’s case. It has some quotes from the detective who was handling Roger’s case at the time of his disappearance. It’s sad that these two cases, both occurring in Colorado in 1981, have not been solved.

Mr. Pash, if you are still following this thread, I have a question about the following reply from you in thread 1. ] “ if we are going to focus on rumors, then we need to make sure we point out the initial rumors that went around. It was stated that Roger had either been kidnapped by a hippie religious cult for human sacrifice, or by a motorcycle gang that was reportedly in the area. Interestingly, it was also rumored a couple of years later that Roger had actually been found. This was supposedly achieved through a search of his social security number that found him living in Kansas and working in a gas station.”) Later in thread 2 you state that you used Roger’s situation as an example to teach students with. A situation you described as it likely related to two identical answers Roger gave in a word association assignment in your class. You did so because you had heard Roger had been found working at the afore mentioned gas station. Would you care to elaborate on this further? It seems you are contradicting yourself. It would seem that you would have confirmed with the Sheriffs office that Roger was found, before using his circumstances to teach with.

Last edited:
Former student here of Pash's. He passed away a few days ago but I don't know any details. I found this thread sometime ago but never posted. I was not happy with how Mr. Pash responded to this forum. His responses were callous, combative, and rather long winded. I realize now how much he must have enjoyed hearing himself speak. He was well liked at my high school from what I can remember. (I did not attend the same high school as Roger.) I hope someday we can find out what happened to Roger. As a former student, finding the information contained on this site has been upsetting and disappointing.

Former student here of Pash's. He passed away a few days ago but I don't know any details. I found this thread sometime ago but never posted. I was not happy with how Mr. Pash responded to this forum. His responses were callous, combative, and rather long winded. I realize now how much he must have enjoyed hearing himself speak. He was well liked at my high school from what I can remember. (I did not attend the same high school as Roger.) I hope someday we can find out what happened to Roger. As a former student, finding the information contained on this site has been upsetting and disappointing.
Thanks so much for the information.
Thanks for giving this update. If you happen to see a link for the obituary, would you please post? Also I was wondering what time frame did you have him as your teacher?

+1 on Soundman's post.
Perhaps with Pash's passing, there will be questions answered.

My sense is he (Pash) knew of something that Roger was involved in. He kept quiet for his own hide as per rumors he himself supplied/allowed drugs, etc. Pash may have had peripheral knowledge of whatever Roger was involved with, but I don't think he actually killed him.

To me, this seems tied to whatever went down (the weekend/days?) before. I think Roger left the high school w/ someone he "knew," even barely. Small town, CO, seems unlikely for a drug hit, but I'm interested in the ski angle, if anyone has input? In '81, could this have been a case of eliminating competition? What was Roger's actual standing in terms of Olympic dreams, etc.?

Thanks so much for the information.

Thanks for giving this update. If you happen to see a link for the obituary, would you please post? Also I was wondering what time frame did you have him as your teacher?

From what I can tell, Pash’s “ role” in Roger’s disappearance started when he was interviewed by the police as one of Roger’s teachers. He told of, or perhaps showed, one of Rogers writing assignments to the investigators. He was advised to present that to Roger’s parents. Apparently they were not happy with this information. We do not know the nature of this writing but there is speculation that it involved suicidal ideation. A few years later, Pash moved back to California and continued his teaching career there.

Soon after Pash left, there appears to have been allegations, possibly from Roger’s family, that Pash had something to do with Roger’s disappearance. Pash’s former house had been sold to a mortuary. The Cedaredge Police got permission to dig up a flowerbed that supposedly Posh had planted at the time of Roger’s disappearance. Nothing was found.

Roger’s sister then posted on Websleuths the accusation that Pash had had inappropriate relationships with students including drugs and possibly sex. She did not specifically accuse him in Roger’s disappearance.

Pash then posted on Websleuths denying any involvement and being a bit snarky at the on-line posters who were suggesting that he was involved. He also admitted that he left Cedaredge because his relationship with the school administration “ went bad” but whatever problems he had there did not prevent him from getting a job in California. He said that investigators from the Cedaredge PD called him regarding Roger’s disappearance and told him that they might fly to California for additional interviews but he never heard from them again.

Pash retired in the last ten years after a long teaching career in Calif. He was apparently well liked by students and there is no indication of any problems. Someone posted that he was married and divorced twice; if that means anything.

It doesn’t seem like Law Enforcement really thought he was involved but Roger’s family may have; possibly as a result of whatever he told then soon after the disappearance. Most likely his was just a peripheral player in this mystery.

Kemo, Roger’s sister did not report about the inappropriate relations at Pash’s house. That came from Lori’ s blog (Help solve a cold case). There is a discrepancy in how JP became a suspect. Some readings say he approached Roger’s mom early on and told her he had counseled Roger because he was suicidal. JP claims he did go to the Ellison house for a talk, but it was with the detective in attendance, and he was given instructions on what to say. He denied the allegations that he counseled Roger. In Regards to the dig, it was not just a flower bed. It was a spot Approximately 20 feet x 20 feet and two feet deep.( True crime Diva) They also had a crew utilizing ground penetrating Radar. The bad part about it was that a large garage was added to the back of the house after JP left. They did find anomalies under the concrete in the garage with the radar, but a decision was made not to tear out concrete and dig. Likely because of the expense involved. As far as Roger’s writings with the two identical answers he gave to the word association assignment in JP’S class, there is no clear information that this was ever discussed with family . JPdid say part of his opinion of what happened to Roger came from family, but this is vague as well.

Last edited:
Very well-said.

Much meat here, but I will confine myself to one thing: the apparent dying declaration. These indeed, and rightly, carry much heft.

From what source does this apparent declaration come? Does anyone have a link?

It sounds almost too good to be true, like something rumored which over time has become regarded as truth.

But maybe!

A SYMBOL OF THE MISSING THOUSANDS: DURANGO'S YOUNG UNKNOWN TRAVELER (Published 1982)
Here is an article about a male unidentified teenager who was struck and killed by a car near Durango Colorado in September of 1981. No lead was found to determine who the young man was, and it remains unknown. There was no evidence that it could have been Roger, in fact at the end of the article the author does discuss Roger’s case. It has some quotes from the detective who was handling Roger’s case at the time of his disappearance. It’s sad that these two cases, both occurring in Colorado in 1981, have not been solved.
It makes me so sad Roger's parents never found out what happened to him.

I recall the story about a man on his deathbed telling authorities he had seen Roger in the woods with a man pointing a gun at him. The dying man's description of the perp fit the description of a now deceased potential suspect. There are some cases for which we will sadly never get the answers. As much as I hate to admit it, Roger's case is probably one of them.

I recall the story about a man on his deathbed telling authorities he had seen Roger in the woods with a man pointing a gun at him. The dying man's description of the perp fit the description of a now deceased potential suspect. There are some cases for which we will sadly never get the answers. As much as I hate to admit it, Roger's case is probably one of them.
ThePhanom For the sake of Roger’s remaining family members I hope this is not the case. The case of the poachers story is very hard to take seriously. All one has to do is think of the odds of two poachers being in the same exact spot at the same exact time, of a man leading a person into the woods at gun point. Given the vastness of that area(mountain country) I would think those odds would be strikingly low, especially during late winter or early spring. There would still be a considerable amount of snow on the ground at that elevation. I think the story is BS.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back