Found Deceased CO - Ryan Albert, 30, hiker, Rocky Mountain National Park, Longs Peak area, 4 Oct 2018

Hopefully he will be found after the spring thaw. Very sad.
A lot of things were sure stacked against him. The severe winter weather arriving right about the same time he was first missing plus the time year for attempting a climb like that. I hope they can find him too eventually. Sad and unfortunate.

Sadly this doesn’t bode well. Too much time and weather has been extreme since he disappeared. Maybe we can hope that he never climbed Longs Peak and is trekking thru the park elsewhere. I’m not sure if he had enough supplies for that even.

So many of these cases, are that hikers just don't understand the dangers of hiking in high altitudes, and the fact that cell service is not always available in an emergency. Just not prepared. We have a saying here, "Enjoy the sunshine, it can change in 10 minutes" so true. You can go hiking in 75 degree sunny weather conditions, hike up in elevation, and before you realize it, a snow squall comes out of nowhere. Even checking the weather isn't a sure thing, because you have to check the spot in between.

So many of these cases, are that hikers just don't understand the dangers of hiking in high altitudes, and the fact that cell service is not always available in an emergency. Just not prepared. We have a saying here, "Enjoy the sunshine, it can change in 10 minutes" so true. You can go hiking in 75 degree sunny weather conditions, hike up in elevation, and before you realize it, a snow squall comes out of nowhere. Even checking the weather isn't a sure thing, because you have to check the spot in between.
I understand what you’re saying exactly. . I was in France in Chamonix one summer and we went up to view Mont Blanc. Just walking around up and down steps at around 12000+ elevation was extremely difficult. Plus the weather and changes in temps and visibility can change on a dime. Even New Hampshire and Mount Washington in summer. 70 degrees at ground level and 40 degrees on top. He was from NJ so I wonder how much experience he had with elevation hiking etc.

I completely agree with you. I was there in late July and some of the highest peaks looked like they had snow ie: glaciers that never melt. What I dont understand why anyone who is trained would in their right mind go hiking in October, at that elevation knowing the weather can change at any minute? It blows my mind, even in the dead of summertime the Rockies are known for crazy unstable weather, something I dont think any hiker can do alone. NEVER go alone!

The cell situation was bad for me even on the highway at the tourist'y stops along the main way through the park, I can only imagine how bad it is anywhere off that path....

Does anyone know what his state of mind was? I know a few years back a guy went missing near Telluride, Co and he was found 8 mos. later and had killed himself. If he went into the wilderness with the intent of suicide (not saying he was) but he may not have wanted to be found, or it could have been staged... there have been accounts of people with issues who "disappear" suddenly with the intent of starting over with a new life...

Has anyone found out anything further about this case?

I completely agree with you. I was there in late July and some of the highest peaks looked like they had snow ie: glaciers that never melt. What I dont understand why anyone who is trained would in their right mind go hiking in October, at that elevation knowing the weather can change at any minute? It blows my mind, even in the dead of summertime the Rockies are known for crazy unstable weather, something I dont think any hiker can do alone. NEVER go alone!

The cell situation was bad for me even on the highway at the tourist'y stops along the main way through the park, I can only imagine how bad it is anywhere off that path....

Does anyone know what his state of mind was? I know a few years back a guy went missing near Telluride, Co and he was found 8 mos. later and had killed himself. If he went into the wilderness with the intent of suicide (not saying he was) but he may not have wanted to be found, or it could have been staged... there have been accounts of people with issues who "disappear" suddenly with the intent of starting over with a new life...

Has anyone found out anything further about this case?
Probably won't be any news or discovery of Ryan (or Micah Time) until snow thaws. You are right about the dangers of hiking the Rockies and Long's Peak.

Longs Peak Is A Popular, But Potentially Deadly, Rocky Mountain National Park Destination

The third search, for Ryan Albert of New Jersey, was suspended after nearly a month of scouring the area around Longs Peak, a 14,259-foot icon that is a magnet for hikers hoping to tackle a "14er."

"The staff at Rocky Mountain National Park have been amazing in their efforts, but there won't likely be any news until the snow thaws," Dolores Albert, Ryan's mom, wrote in a Facebook post last week. "Please continue to share our story in hopes that a hiker may find a clue."

Despite the wintry conditions, not unlike those that shut down the search for Albert, 30, of Marlton, New Jersey, on November 2, the search for Tice was launched because the 20-year-old had just been reported missing. As for Albert, who was last seen October 4, the search-and-rescue mission continued for nearly a month without a clue to his whereabout before the weather closed in.

"After days of searching for Albert, and the absence of clues along with extreme winter conditions at higher elevations, the decision was made on November 2 to wait to resume efforts for Albert until snow melted and conditions improved," said Patterson.

I hope as the weather breaks some clues will be found about these missing men....it is so dangerous for the search teams in these areas.....safe wishes to them

I think if he had fallen to an area that was visible to searchers he would have been found in the initial search. If one goes off the sheer face of this area, you are going to fall in an area that is NOT accessible to man. They might spot his body by drone, but flying a drone in those areas is difficult. There are some climbers/hikers that fall in such terrain that are never located.

The abundant snowfall this winter and spring may push the search window for Ryan and Micah Tice, the other man missing on Longs Peak since last year, later into the spring. This article also has a link to 14ers.com where there is a recent trip report with pics of a Longs Peak hike up the Keyhole route these two missing men most likely were hiking. Still a lot of snow and dangerous conditions up there.

Colorado 14ers could stay snow-covered through most of summer
[Most of Colorado’s 53 fourteeners remain covered in several feet of snow, according to recent reports from popular hiking website 14ers.com. That fact is unlikely to change anytime soon.]

Body found on Longs Peak peak believed to be missing New Jersey man
[Rocky Mountain National Park rangers found a body believed to be a New Jersey man who has been missing for seven months on the park’s highest mountain, park officials said Friday.
Ryan-Albert-e1539137094307.jpg

Provided by Rocky Mountain National Park
Ryan Albert
The body is believed to be 30-year-old Ryan Albert of Marlton, New Jersey, park spokeswoman Kyle Patterson said.
Rangers found the body Thursday in deep snow in a steep, rocky ravine called the Trough. It was about 1,000 feet below a section of trail called the Ledges and about 2,000 feet below the summit.]

Body found on Longs Peak peak believed to be missing New Jersey man
[Rocky Mountain National Park rangers found a body believed to be a New Jersey man who has been missing for seven months on the park’s highest mountain, park officials said Friday.
Ryan-Albert-e1539137094307.jpg

Provided by Rocky Mountain National Park
Ryan Albert
The body is believed to be 30-year-old Ryan Albert of Marlton, New Jersey, park spokeswoman Kyle Patterson said.
Rangers found the body Thursday in deep snow in a steep, rocky ravine called the Trough. It was about 1,000 feet below a section of trail called the Ledges and about 2,000 feet below the summit.]
Thanks for posting this update. I have followed this case from the beginning and check frequently for news on him and Micah too. Sad for what happened to Ryan, but content he has been located.

Last edited:
How sad that he is deceased, but I'm happy that he has been recovered and brought back to his family (pending official identification). RIP Ryan. Many thanks to the RMNP rangers that made the discovery, and to all the people who have helped in the search.

How sad that he is deceased, but I'm happy that he has been recovered and brought back to his family (pending official identification). RIP Ryan. Many thanks to the RMNP rangers that made the discovery, and to all the people who have helped in the search.

@dspdenver , thanks!

Body of New Jersey hiker missing since October recovered near Longs Peak Keyhole Route

More info:
[Two climbing rangers patrolling the Trough section on Longs Peak on May 25 found a glove that matched the brand Albert was believed to have been wearing.

Five days later, on Thursday, a team of highly skilled park climbing rangers found Albert's body covered in deep snow about 1,000 feet below The Ledges section of the Keyhole Route....

Friday morning, rangers completed the investigation, and Albert's body was recovered by helicopter and transported to the Boulder County Coroner's Office, which will confirm the identity after an autopsy is completed.

A senior computer science student at Rowan University in Glassboro, New Jersey, Albert was attempting his first fourteener on Longs Peak via the Keyhole Route when he went missing....]

Despite it's popularity, Longs Peak is a tough 14er to attempt as your first 14er, especially on your own and at that time of year when there are few other hikers around. The Ledges area, while not as scary-looking as The Narrows near the end of the route, has a lot of loose rock with steep slopes and it can be easy to get off the trail if you miss where the next painted marker is; that area has its fair share of fatalities.

Ryan's disappearance did not seem to get as much ongoing attention as some other missing hikers, so I wondered if he was more of a loner like me and I kept him in mind hoping he'd be found. I hope his mother and friends will get some closure now at last.

Body of New Jersey hiker missing since October recovered near Longs Peak Keyhole Route

More info:
[Two climbing rangers patrolling the Trough section on Longs Peak on May 25 found a glove that matched the brand Albert was believed to have been wearing.

Five days later, on Thursday, a team of highly skilled park climbing rangers found Albert's body covered in deep snow about 1,000 feet below The Ledges section of the Keyhole Route....

Friday morning, rangers completed the investigation, and Albert's body was recovered by helicopter and transported to the Boulder County Coroner's Office, which will confirm the identity after an autopsy is completed.

A senior computer science student at Rowan University in Glassboro, New Jersey, Albert was attempting his first fourteener on Longs Peak via the Keyhole Route when he went missing....]

Despite it's popularity, Longs Peak is a tough 14er to attempt as your first 14er, especially on your own and at that time of year when there are few other hikers around. The Ledges area, while not as scary-looking as The Narrows near the end of the route, has a lot of loose rock with steep slopes and it can be easy to get off the trail if you miss where the next painted marker is; that area has its fair share of fatalities.

Ryan's disappearance did not seem to get as much ongoing attention as some other missing hikers, so I wondered if he was more of a loner like me and I kept him in mind hoping he'd be found. I hope his mother and friends will get some closure now at last.
His being missing received a lot of attention here in NJ. I live about 20 miles from his hometown and also went to Rowan (Glassboro State College at the time), as have many in my family. It’s one reason I was interested in following the outcome.
Thanks again for info.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back