CO CO - Samuel David Schrup, 32, Redcliff, 22 Jul 2009

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
Missing Person / NamUs #MP13189
Samuel David Schrup, Male, White / Caucasian

A16530D3-BEF7-4A7B-B8D7-4E24654343A0.jpeg 2A21C012-C0E7-4FDE-B0DB-DE8FFF570B4D.jpeg 864FF212-91AC-40A2-9DBF-14AA24B810EB.jpeg
1.) 1994 North High School, Phoenix. AZ 2.)1995 NHS 3.). circa 2009
Date of Last Contact: July 22, 2009
Missing From: Redcliff, Eagle County, Colorado
First Name: Samuel
Middle Name: David
Last Name: Schrup
Nickname/Alias: Sam
Date of Birth: October 11, 1976
Missing Age: 32 Years
Height: 5' 10" - 6' 3" (70 - 75 Inches)
Weight: 140 - 155 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel
Medical Conditions: Schrup was depressed at the time of his disappearance and may have been suicidal. A friend stated that she had been concerned for Schrup's safety.

Circumstances of Disappearance: Schrup was last seen by his father in New Mexico on July 11, 2009. On August 8, his vehicle was found abandoned on Shrine Pass Road in Eagle County, Colorado. It was covered with dust and pine cone needles, and authorities determined it had been there since at least July 22. There was a campsite set up in the area of the vehicle.

There was a handwritten journal inside the vehicle; the last entry read, "About to hike a hill. See you after." Schrup has never been heard from again and an extensive search of the area turned up no indication of his whereabouts.

A handgun was initially thought to be missing from the vehicle; Schrup always carried the gun when he was hiking. However, when the car was released to his family in 2011, they found the "missing" gun concealed inside it. Schrup's disappearance remains unsolved.

Investigating Agencies:
-Eagle County Sheriff's Office
Detective Gianni Robinson: (970) 328-8682
Agency Case Number: 2009-1740

Sources:
NamUs
The Charley Project
Missing Veterans
Colorado Bureau of Investigations

Exclusions:
UP14518 04/03/2010 Shenandoah VA
UP11248 08/20/2012 Alexandria VA

Strange. Possibly suicidal, but gun was left in car? And what's with his height being between 5'10 and 6'3? Any ideas?
Everything I read about the handgun didn’t make sense. IMO. It’s a little hard for me to believe that law enforcement completely missed it when they searched his vehicle in 2009, yet the family located it when his vehicle was released to them in 2011. Unless it was really concealed and his father knew exactly where it was. And it doesn’t really say anywhere that law enforcement ever actually saw the firearm. (From the missing Veterans page):
According to father, Sam always hiked with handgun for protection. Initial search of the vehicle in 2009 did not recover or locate the handgun. A subsequent search of the vehicle in 2011 upon releasing the vehicle to next of kin, located concealed handgun inside vehicle.
The Charley Project’s case profile (and a few more sources, IIRC) indicates the firearm was found by his family. So I wonder if LE took their word for it, or did a handgun ever exist?

The first time I read everything, it almost sounded as though someone wanted to sway the investigation toward a possible suicide. Two years later I’m sure there wasn’t as much urgency to locate him, so at that point, locating the “missing handgun” probably wouldn’t have amounted to much more than a short notation being added to the MP report file. *Strictly my opinion and speculation.

The makeshift camp site near his vehicle and the journal/hand written message contradict the suicide theory also. IMO. Cold feet? I can not find much info on Sam, but I’ve been looking into him possibly being “Denim/Mostly Harmless/Ben Bilemy”, the unidentified hiker that was found in Collier County Florida in July 2018. Now that case I know better than the back of my hand. Their identifiers match and even their circumstances are very similar. (I can not figure out the 5’10”-6’3” range either o_O)

FL - Big Cypress National Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" and "Mostly Harmless", 23 July 2018
MP——————UID
7/22/09————7/23/18
41 years old—— 35-50 years old
5’10’ - 6’3”———5’8”
145-155lbs———83lbs (starvation)

Brown hair———Brown hair
Hazel eyes———Hazel-Green/Blue/Gray
8BFED761-51D3-4C45-AF59-696C9FECD16F.jpeg upload_2019-11-10_1-41-39.jpegupload_2019-11-10_1-43-10.jpeg

I just can not find anything! (Doesn’t mean there’s nothing to be found) I’m trying to figure out more about his military service. I know it stated he was in the US Army, but the uniform he’s wearing in the photo doesn’t look familiar to me. Maybe someone else can elaborate on it. It’s not likely to be helpful in locating him, but I became more curious when comparing him to “Denim”. Someone commented on a “Missing Veterans” Facebook page (I found it by searching his full name) and from what I gather, she is the friend mentioned on his NamUs profile who had been concerned about him around the time of his disappearance. I’m also thinking he was considered to have gone AWOL at the time.

I sure would like to see both of these cases solved. My search will continue!

Everything I read about the handgun didn’t make sense. IMO. It’s a little hard for me to believe that law enforcement completely missed it when they searched his vehicle in 2009, yet the family located it when his vehicle was released to them in 2011. Unless it was really concealed and his father knew exactly where it was. And it doesn’t really say anywhere that law enforcement ever actually saw the firearm. (From the missing Veterans page):
According to father, Sam always hiked with handgun for protection. Initial search of the vehicle in 2009 did not recover or locate the handgun. A subsequent search of the vehicle in 2011 upon releasing the vehicle to next of kin, located concealed handgun inside vehicle.
The Charley Project’s case profile (and a few more sources, IIRC) indicates the firearm was found by his family. So I wonder if LE took their word for it, or did a handgun ever exist?

The first time I read everything, it almost sounded as though someone wanted to sway the investigation toward a possible suicide. Two years later I’m sure there wasn’t as much urgency to locate him, so at that point, locating the “missing handgun” probably wouldn’t have amounted to much more than a short notation being added to the MP report file. *Strictly my opinion and speculation.

The makeshift camp site near his vehicle and the journal/hand written message contradict the suicide theory also. IMO. Cold feet? I can not find much info on Sam, but I’ve been looking into him possibly being “Denim/Mostly Harmless/Ben Bilemy”, the unidentified hiker that was found in Collier County Florida in July 2018. Now that case I know better than the back of my hand. Their identifiers match and even their circumstances are very similar. (I can not figure out the 5’10”-6’3” range either o_O)

FL - Big Cypress National Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" and "Mostly Harmless", 23 July 2018
MP——————UID
7/22/09————7/23/18
41 years old—— 35-50 years old
5’10’ - 6’3”———5’8”
145-155lbs———83lbs (starvation)

Brown hair———Brown hair
Hazel eyes———Hazel-Green/Blue/Gray
View attachment 214405 View attachment 214400View attachment 214401

I just can not find anything! (Doesn’t mean there’s nothing to be found) I’m trying to figure out more about his military service. I know it stated he was in the US Army, but the uniform he’s wearing in the photo doesn’t look familiar to me. Maybe someone else can elaborate on it. It’s not likely to be helpful in locating him, but I became more curious when comparing him to “Denim”. Someone commented on a “Missing Veterans” Facebook page (I found it by searching his full name) and from what I gather, she is the friend mentioned on his NamUs profile who had been concerned about him around the time of his disappearance. I’m also thinking he was considered to have gone AWOL at the time.

I sure would like to see both of these cases solved. My search will continue!
Hello, are you still investigating this? I was Sams friend and was with him a few months before he went missing.

Hello Phoenixlil. i plan to look for Sam this summer. Fruitless no doubt but I prefer hiking with purpose.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000
Back