Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carrying two shovels on the day of her disappearance.

<Admin Note: Link to image added. All images require a link to the source>

48201905-10013431-Colorado_law_enforcement_officials_released_this_photo_showing_B-a-14_1632245336586.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed a common thread among posters who think the case against BM is weak: they tend to overstate the burden of proof required for conviction. They use words like "beyond any doubt," or "beyond all doubt," or they bemoan the absence of a "smoking gun," as in, "I saw the defendant standing over the body with a smoking gun" i.e. proof beyond any doubt whatsoever.

The jury will be instructed otherwise. Here's the instruction, from the Colorado Model Criminal Jury Instructions (BBM):

E:03 PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE, BURDEN OF PROOF, AND REASONABLE DOUBT

Every person charged with a crime is presumed innocent. This presumption of innocence remains with the defendant throughout the trial and should be given effect by you unless, after considering all of the evidence, you are then convinced that the defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

The burden of proof is upon the prosecution to prove to the satisfaction of the jury beyond a reasonable doubt the existence of all of the elements necessary to constitute the crime charged.

Reasonable doubt means a doubt based upon reason and common sense which arises from a fair and rational consideration of all of the evidence, or the lack of evidence, in the case. It is a doubt which is not a vague, speculative or imaginary doubt, but such a doubt as would cause reasonable people to hesitate to act in matters of importance to themselves.

If you find from the evidence that each and every element of a crime has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt, you should find the defendant guilty of that crime. If you find from the evidence that the prosecution has failed to prove any one or more of the elements of a crime beyond a reasonable doubt, you should find the defendant not guilty of that crime.
I get what you're saying, it's an excellent succinct comment. My mind just can't progress to convicting someone to life+ (156 years) in prison when you have no body, no blood, no cadaverine, no eyewitness, no weapon, no smoking gun, no documented history of DV. Honestly it seems the determination of Suzanne's death was no cell phone pings/hits, after a certain time. We don't know their money story/ cash story, a million could be gone, whos' to say?

Last edited:
Interesting conversation. Here's an observation I think is interesting. The elements of Murder in the First Degree do not require the prosecution to prove how, when, or where the defendant committed the crime. They don't require proof of means, motive, or opportunity. All the jury needs to believe is that BM intentionally killed his wife, and that he did so after deliberation.

All the discussion about what's missing in the affidavit is an effort to focus on the hole and ignore the doughnut IMO.

Here's the statute:

Colorado Revised Statutes § 18-3-102. Murder in the first degree

(1) A person commits the crime of murder in the first degree if: (a) After deliberation and with the intent to cause the death of a person other than himself, he causes the death of that person or of another person...
Tell it to the judge! Too bad he thinks random partial DNA overrides the obvious.
JMO

You know what I would like to see? Strong evidence refuting BM's character assassination to Suzanne by making her use of antidepressants and pain medicine appear as drug addiction. I'll bet not witnesses can be found to attest to her drinking to excess, either. To me, this is another DV act by him. How many times did he withhold/hide or force her to stop taking her meds? Did her best friend ever see or hear her drunk? His characterization of her during their last days together is so telling.....about him!
MOO

I want to thank all of you for making me feel so much better, after yesterday. I'm actually feeling relieved that he's been bound over without the Prosecution having to reveal any more of the evidence.

I was pretty disappointed in the AA, but I should have known better. There's way more evidence out there, and no point revealing strategy to the defense.

@LietKynes Thank you for that photo, just above. Of course he used something to clean them. I wonder if he had stayed in that hotel before (or if it truly smells like bleach all the time in that room - not putting it past Barry to bribe someone to say it).

That picture is worth a thousand words.

48201905-10013431-Colorado_law_enforcement_officials_released_this_photo_showing_B-a-14_1632245336586.jpg

Yes the Daily Mail is sharing photos from the AA that was unsealed yesterday. This is a still photo from the Holiday Inn Express surveillance film that was shown in Court over a month ago.
We’ve all known for a year now that he brought shovels and tools into the lobby from interviews MG and JP gave to Fox21.
Here’s the AA if you haven’t seen it:

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/21cr78 Morphew Redacted Affidavit.pdf

BM is seen on hotel video carrying two white plastic bags (with contents), some clothing items, and a pair of footwear into the hotel (can only see the soles with white margins in the photo).

That footwear looks small enough to be a woman's and too small to be BM's. Compare to his feet which are also visible. Photo from p. 35 of redacted AA.

According to reporters at the PH, these tools were not shown carried to his room. Just from his truck to the hotel lobby. He made 2 or 3 trips, not hurriedly, even though he had just gotten the call that his wife had been reported missing.

I wonder what Barry would have done to a dog if he saw it asleep in his Bobcat.

I don't know but I have exactly .22 ideas.

It takes a very small man to brag bigly about chipmunks.

JMO

I wonder what Barry would have done to a dog if he saw it asleep in his Bobcat.

I don't know but I have exactly .22 ideas.

It takes a very small man to brag bigly about chipmunks.

JMO

maybe if lack of funds causes him to down-size he can mount a chipmunk head on a piece of plywood and mount it over a space heater and some testosterone scented candles!

I get what you're saying, it's an excellent succinct comment. My mind just can't progress to convicting someone to life+ (156 years) in prison when you have no body, no blood, no cadaverine, no eyewitness, no weapon, no smoking gun, no documented history of DV. Honestly it seems the determination of Suzanne's death was no cell phone pings/hits, after a certain time. We don't know their money story/ cash story, a million could be gone, whos' to say?

I do think we'll hear way more at trial. I was glad to see the two CC's in the AA. One of them should make a very interesting witness, indeed. You'll just have to wait for it - or go suss it out on your own.

The jury is not in charge of sentencing in CO, is my understanding - they are to figure out the degree of murder. I think Barry's frantic construction of an alibi on Saturday is evidence of premeditation. He actually did no work in Broomfield (very little, anyway, besides cleaning his shovels). We don't know that there was no cadaverine (dog hits on the Bobcat may have been verified with other techniques - meaning that even if the Bobcat never moved from that spot on May 9-10, Barry may have transferred cadaverine to it - it was on the seat).

Using a combination of factors to indicate death in no body cases is a precedent long respected in CO (and other) courts. It's not just pings. It's total cessation of communication, she doesn't have her ID with her, she didn't make it to her maintenance chemotherapy (after religiously attending for over a year), she has contacted no friends, she missed an important wedding, she hasn't contacted JL, and I think we'll see no money has been taken out of any of her accounts. Juries have found many a murderer guilty using even half of that. It's actually an interesting thing to look up (I'm not one of those who remembers all the case names - but others here do).

Why do you think absence of cell pings is what is being used to establish that she's dead? Why not at least include phone calls as well?

While we don't know their cash story - LE does. And it's probably in the discovery evidence by now. The AA was written in haste, the evidence is submitted in an ongoing fashion (and the Judge can look at all of it, if he is so inclined - and I bet he is).

So, if we find out at trial that there was cadaverine on the seat of Barry's Bobcat, that the SIM in the Bobcat doesn't detect whether Bobcat was turned on and movement of the Bobcat needs to be a certain distance before it's retained in memory - in short, if a Bobcat expert says all that, you don't think that will be convincing?

Suzanne mentions being wrestled and being pinned down two times. Barry says he "blocked her" with his body (but not his hands -if you don't think that's DV, that's fine - but many people do). There's the financial control (which is part of a pattern of DV - most experts would say that controlling behavior is DV - you may think it's just beatings, but that's not what most juries think, thankfully).

Would you help me out, though, by explaining what kind of violence would need to take place for you to think there was a prior history? We have a prior history of fighting (a lot, enough to scare the daughter), and I'll agree that fighting is not DV. But blocking someone with one's body (especially if the person is small and the blocker is linebacker sized) is DV. I know this because I do DV training for LE and we include slides of this behavior. ANY blocking of a person's movement is DV (grabbing an arm, blocking a door, putting an arm across a door and leaning against the frame so that the person has to contort themselves and be vulnerable while passing, hair pulling, scratching, etc). Barry won't take the stand, so he can't claim self defense (and who would buy that?)

Where I live, keeping a loaded weapon inside the house is considered threshold domestic violence if it's within reach of the offender, even if they don't go for it, it's just lying around. Most DV cases don't come to murder - or to trial, but I'm truly curious whether people here think Barry's admitted behavior (body blocking her) or Suzanne's own words (wrestling away, being pinned down on the bed) are not DV?

You know, if Barry blamed occupational hazards for his highly suspicious injuries, we could pretend to buy that.

He said he got them from a tree, while on the hike. And didn't he also say be got them while searching for her? Sure seems solid he got them in association with Suzanne, per his own mouth.

He missed an opportunity to drag the housecat into his island of misfit stories.

Wish we could ask him: Barry, you say you got those scratches while hiking, what if we don't believe you were hiking?

Maybe didya get 'em during that same exact time frame, just not from hiking?

I think we have to ask ourselves what he was doing when he was that close to Suzanne, that she would've been clawing at his arm.

Perhaps he commit one last crime before the fatal one.

JMO

Last edited:
Interesting conversation. Here's an observation I think is interesting. The elements of Murder in the First Degree do not require the prosecution to prove how, when, or where the defendant committed the crime. They don't require proof of means, motive, or opportunity. All the jury needs to believe is that BM intentionally killed his wife, and that he did so after deliberation.

All the discussion about what's missing in the affidavit is an effort to focus on the hole and ignore the doughnut IMO.

Here's the statute:

Colorado Revised Statutes § 18-3-102. Murder in the first degree

(1) A person commits the crime of murder in the first degree if: (a) After deliberation and with the intent to cause the death of a person other than himself, he causes the death of that person or of another person...

Totally. I need to thank you as well, for helping me out today (with my feelings). I often don't feel all the feelings, because I am constantly involved in forensic work and it's all someone's tragedy, so I get a bit numb.

I think if the jurors read that statute, they'll have a very hard time coming to any other conclusion (unless, of course, someone decides that there's no proof of death - and that could happen, after reading these threads, I can see that some people will be convinced only if there's a body or body parts).

And I'm okay with that - it's not a perfect system. But it's still Murder Two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus