Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they brought him "How to Stay Alive in the Woods"? It's a pretty well known book that I bought for all the "boys" in my family (except one who is a devote urbanite) quite a few years ago.
I see its side bar is "a complete guide to food, shelter and self-preservation". Sounds like an interesting read but you can see why that would raise a flag or three if Barry was given it.

I wonder if they brought him "How to Stay Alive in the Woods"? It's a pretty well known book that I bought for all the "boys" in my family (except one who is a devote urbanite) quite a few years ago.

If it was staying alive in the woods/wilderness Barry could of wrote the book. That is the one thing we have consistently heard about Barry from his friends and foe alike. He spent his life outdoors and was highly skilled in that area. If anything I would guess his weakness would be plant ID's, that would make sense. IMO

I see its side bar is "a complete guide to food, shelter and self-preservation". Sounds like an interesting read but you can see why that would raise a flag or three if Barry was given it.

I've been fairly lenient in trying to balance information. Whoever gave him that book didn't do him any favors...It screams RED FLAG like "5 easy ways to change your passport":)

Oh sure....LE captures every little thing don't they innocuous or not :) But honestly it is a fun read if you are an outdoors lover. But really it is a classic, classic book. I'm surprised that whomever was in LE that reported it didn't just say what book it was. It was written so "coyly" but that is the AA....it's quite a piece of work.

Last edited:
based on what I’ve read, Barry didn’t like debt so he paid for the Colorado house with cash. IIRC, he borrowed $200 k from a friend and $100 k from SM’s dad to make up whatever he was short. I’ve always wondered why he just didn’t take out a loan but maybe he couldn’t qualify.
Barry didn't like debt -- but he borrowed $200K from a friend and $100k from his father-in-law to buy the Colorado house? Seems to be quite a non-sequitur.

BM has had a entire week to "stew" in his current situation. When he recovers from the relief of being bonded out--- is his mouth going to start running again? Is he going to continue to dazzle whomever will listen with his BS?

Will Alvin, Simon & Theodore do drivebys and make fun of him?

Seriously, tho, surely he is being checked on by LE to make sure he is following rules? No weapons + any other stipulations ( are there other stipulated besides no weapons + not leaving Chaffee Co?)

I still expect something to happen with Barry before May2022 trial. Not sure what exactly I'm expecting, but I don't trust him at all.

Is he going to start going to church in order to collect friends, and sympathy & brownie points?

I hope and pray that Suzanne is located soon. Or at least a tiny bit of her body to get this horrid man back behind bars.

Justice for Suzanne.

We don’t know Suzanne, but I suspect, as I have already posted, that her early illness, and strong wish to have children, might have contributed to the situation she ended up in. But with Barry, it was a no-win situation, either way. The moment the dependency on him was created, he turned abusive, and the moment Suzanne tried to become independent, he killed her.

I agree with your post. And also want to add that women who believe that Barry or men like Barry was merely unhappy in the previous relationship because the woman was “wrong”, and with them, things will be different, are in for a huge disappointment,

RBBM

Couldn't agree more with the above-bolded statement!

JMVHO.

BM has had a entire week to "stew" in his current situation. When he recovers from the relief of being bonded out--- is his mouth going to start running again? Is he going to continue to dazzle whomever will listen with his BS?

Will Alvin, Simon & Theodore do drivebys and make fun of him?

Seriously, tho, surely he is being checked on by LE to make sure he is following rules? No weapons + any other stipulations ( are there other stipulated besides no weapons + not leaving Chaffee Co?)

I still expect something to happen with Barry before May2022 trial. Not sure what exactly I'm expecting, but I don't trust him at all.

Is he going to start going to church in order to collect friends, and sympathy & brownie points?

I hope and pray that Suzanne is located soon. Or at least a tiny bit of her body to get this horrid man back behind bars.

Justice for Suzanne.

RBBM

Let's hope so!

RBBM

I agree and am hoping LE is surveilling him somehow.

Time will tell.

JMVHO.

Barry didn't like debt -- but he borrowed $200K from a friend and $100k from his father-in-law to buy the Colorado house? Seems to be quite a non-sequitur.
I don’t think Barry necessarily avoided commercial debt, I don’t think he could get enough credit to qualify. No credit for any income you don’t report. Or things you funnel through a LLC.
IMO, his ATM was the safe in his garage.
I’ve always contended, BM was a cash type of guy….

This is completely just my speculation, MMO, JMO, etc.

Last edited:
If you took away all of Suzanne’s money, would the business have been successful enough to sell twice? I’m curious what kept what afloat. They had a lovely Indiana home. Were they able to build/purchase from Barry’s earnings over the years, or was it smoke and mirrors? Had Barry been successful earlier, and then needed an influx of cash in order to cover overhead? We have some time on our hands here. I would love to know the true story of how they ended up in Colorado, and with what type of actual assets.
ITA, follow the money or more so, follow the cash…

I don’t think Barry necessarily avoided commercial debt, I don’t think he could get enough credit to qualify. No credit for any income you don’t report. Or things you funnel through a LLC.
IMO, his ATM was the safe in his garage.
I’ve always contended, BM was a cash type of guy….

This is completely just my speculation, MMO, JMO, etc.
I agree that he’s the type to underreport income and live large by leveraging relationships. Nothing wrong with leveraging relationships…until they say “no more”. His gig was up!

Damning Info in AA?
@NWLady sbm for focus bbm
Is any AA info "damning?" IDK, but court's ruling stated some AA info would/will be inadmissible at trial. True, even if that info seems "pertinent" in a common, every day sense to us in assessing a defendant's guilt or innocence. IOW, "damning" info is not necessarily admissible at trial per CO Rules of Evidence.

One example: the PP home sellers' stmt of opinion (Yes, we think BM could have killed SM, my loose paraphrasing) strikes me as likely inadmissible-at-trial, in both guilt & penalty phases.
Second, another type of AA info the defense is likely to challenge is various stmts, which several ppl told LE that SM made to them. At trial, defense may/will object to these second hand stmts on grounds of hearsay.* Imo, some of those stmts will be excluded, but prosecutor may overcome the defense's objection by shoe-horning SM's stmts into hearsay exceptions in CO. Rule 803** or 804.***
Just speaking generally. my2ct
Rule 803 - Hearsay Exceptions: Availability of Declarant Immaterial [20 plus exceptions]
Rule 803 - Hearsay Exceptions: Availability of Declarant Immaterial, Colo. R. Evid. 803 | Casetext Search + Citator
Rule 804 - Hearsay Exceptions: Declarant Unavailable [more exceptions]
Rule 804 - Hearsay Exceptions: Declarant Unavailable, Colo. R. Evid. 804 | Casetext Search + Citator
Maybe I should've used a different word than "damning," so I'll further explain my thoughts this way instead - what was so secretive in the AA that it needed to remain sealed? What was in the AA that certain parties needed protection from? What was in the AA that the judge felt the public need not see? (but later was released with very little redactions anyway). And now that the AA has been released (with not many redactions after all), what was all the hoopla about it remaing sealed?

Does that explain better the point I was trying to make (with leaving out the word "damning?")

Except he had the gun in his hand at home with Suzanne....at the same time her phone went dark....and admitted to LE that he had it in his hand.

yes, it's difficult to reconcile this with his extreme confidence in leaving the gun at home, knowing LE would find it, and then LE revealing the gun had not apparently been fired and was not functional. I'm thinking Barry came up with the (very bizarre) chipmunk statement on the fly, his not so bright attempt to provide some sort of minimally plausible reason for why he was running around the house. Knowing that he did not use the gun, he was fine with the chipmunk excise and allowing LE to find the gun. Another distraction breadcrumb.

just my opinion

yes, it's difficult to reconcile this with his extreme confidence in leaving the gun at home, knowing LE would find it, and then LE revealing the gun had not apparently been fired and was not functional. I'm thinking Barry came up with the (very bizarre) chipmunk statement on the fly, his not so bright attempt to provide some sort of minimally plausible reason for why he was running around the house. Knowing that he did not use the gun, he was fine with the chipmunk excise and allowing LE to find the gun. Another distraction breadcrumb.

just my opinion
Not sure if or why the nonfunctioning dart gun matters. He could load his .22 (regular or short rifle) to fire the dart. To me, any tranq gun found, working or non-working, is a red herring. He claimed to be shooting chipmunks with a .22, AFAIK.

Let's focus on BM putting himself in possession of a .22 at the time SM is known to stop communicating. He didn't have to admit that and yet the FBI has it on record.

Open to correction if I am wrong.

MOO

Maybe I should've used a different word than "damning," so I'll further explain my thoughts this way instead - what was so secretive in the AA that it needed to remain sealed? What was in the AA that certain parties needed protection from? What was in the AA that the judge felt the public need not see? (but later was released with very little redactions anyway). And now that the AA has been released (with not many redactions after all), what was all the hoopla about it remaing sealed?

Does that explain better the point I was trying to make (with leaving out the word "damning?")
I'm still looking for those "meaningful redactions." Other than the affair revelation, I just don't see it. I said from the beginning, the judge was reaching for any excuse to avoid release rather than following Rule 55.1 and the public's presumed right to know. Not wanting to start that whole discussion again, but PM played his judge privilege to the hilt just because he could. Not because it served a legit legal purpose, IMHO.

Colorado criminal courts have been proven to uphold secrecy to the public's detriment as a matter of course, as has been discussed here re: Denver Post investigations.

Naysayers gonna nay but the redacting of the daughter's names could have been done in five minutes and not have impeded either side in their prep for the prelim.

MOO

The most damning thing in the AA is Barry himself. The defense did not want those interviews out there. The girls were once again a pawn in Barry's game.

His friends would be interesting to know of. Did Barry as an excellent mini digger driver help with burying their money also like his own cash? ;)

Last edited:
Can we also disabuse ourselves of the notion that Barry was working all the time?

He may have said he was working all the time. In fact, he may have said all the time that he was working, but he seems to dedicate a lot of time driving around with a Bobcat, a lot of time shooting chipmunks, a lot of time chasing after elk (squirrel!), a lot of time working out, winning at push ups, working for 11 minutes but calling it a day. Busy work but not really working. Busy B.

I wonder why he never thought to try shooting antlers off.

Surely he'd have a story for that.

"Boy's got a mouth like a cannon, always shootin' it off."

--quoth the great Foghorn Leghorn

But you know, innocent until proven guilty. Hard worker, good husband.

If we misunderstand you, Mr. Morphew, please clear it up for us.

If you can.

JMO
Who says about himself within a police interview, he is a busy bee?? The "busy" B. only, probably. :rolleyes:

I think of Suzanne as a full time working Mom. Being a bookkeeper for someone like Barry and his shady deals has to be mind boggling. Added to that is the fact that he had to be in control of the finances. It likely kept her very frustrated knowing she didn't know what he was really into or if he could be involving her in something nefarious. Then she had two daughters to care for full time. And lets not forget Barry, the big baby who had to be satisfied sexually and fed and taken care of one hundred percent of the time. Just thinking of being controlled by him, drains me completely!
bbm
Terrible thought, to have been his wife!!

PS: Think also of the huge pile of laundry, when he had done something illegal/criminal and changed his t-shirts 5x a day! ;):(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph