Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #83

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysti88c

Reaction score
A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned
Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride

List of Case Players and Their Relationship to Discussion (Post #440)

————————————-
MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*
Detailed timeline of events in the Morphew case:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA, MAPS &TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

—————————————
Suzanne Morphew Case Archive (developed and maintained by WS member AmandaReckonwith)
—————————————
Hearing Notes (Compliments of @NoSI)
Preliminary:
Day 1

————————————-
Suzanne Morphew FB page
Suzanne Morphew Twitter page

Verified Experts/Professionals/Insiders posting in this thread:

10ofRods is a Verified Anthropologist
Angleterre is a Verified LE from England
riolove77 is a Verified Attorney (prosecutor)
Alethea is a Verified Attorney (defense)
otto is a Verified Expert
Chomsky is a Verified Attorney
angelainwi is a Certified Trauma Counselor
gitana1 is a Verified Attorney
Cassidy is a Verified Attorney
lamlawindy is a Verified Attorney (former Prosecutor, now Defence)
NatureLover (Verified friend of the Moorman family)

Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79 Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82

Last edited by a moderator:
Please continue discussion here in accordance with The Rules:

Quick rundown of reminders from prior threads:

Rumors are not allowed.

Barry Morphew has been charged with Suzanne's murder and he and his businesses are open to sleuthing.

Do not sleuth or make accusations against anyone who is not an officially named POI/suspect.

If an approved source discusses rumors or family members, it is still NOT allowed to do so at Websleuths. WS has different standards.

Preview your posts to avoid broken quotes.

Lengthy personal anecdotes are off topic. Stay on topic.

Discuss the case and not each other; state your opinion and move one without arguing or bickering.

Random youtube videos or blogs are not allowed unless approval is given by Tricia or Admin.

Approved sources are MSM, LE, Profiling Evil podcast, Lauren Scharf podcast or social media, Investigation Discovery, Crimeonline, Tyson Draper (only the interview with Barry Morphew), public documents.

Do not discuss removed posts or question/challenge moderation on the thread. Doing so is subject to an automatic Time Out.

Mod Reminder - Plunder Court Transcript Episodes

The Transcripts from the Preliminary Hearing being shared by Plunder have been approved. This approval only applies to the Plunder episodes specific to the court transcripts. The transcripts shared across the episodes may not be copied and posted in entirety to WS as a single document or post replicating the documents that the content creator purchased.

Totally agree. I am a huge advocate of the US justice system for many reasons. I do think the primary weakness is the fact that we imprison more people than almost every country in the world and often it is people who cannot afford good representation. It saddens me. But I do believe that the burden is and always should be on the state to "prove" beyond a shadow of doubt that someone has committed a crime and I think it should be a rigorous bar for them. I do think Barry had means and opportunity and motive from his 30 hours of babbling so was "low hanging fruit" for LE so to speak...but prosecution has to prove to me that he did it which hasn't happened yet. I also think the AA had so so much unnecessary "content"...and quite a bit that will never see the light of day at a trial. I do think the judge was correct when he made a comment to the affect of yup yup they had a bad marriage, Suzanne had an affair, move along :) Lots of gossip worthy "stuff" in the AA for all of us curious folk.

I have personally known someone who got in a raft of legal trouble during the height of "me too", an intelligent college educated person, because he thought he could "talk to LE" and explain a situation....without a lawyer. So, Barry was dumb. Really dumb about that. I totally believe he would not have gone through any of this if he had taken his friends advice and the business card to heart and hired someone. Lesson learned for everyone who thinks it's "OK" to talk to LE and "explain". My friend's lawyer did an excellent job and the complainant got caught in their own mistruths prior to trial as those of us close to the situation knew would happen and all is well for him but a very, very expensive lesson that stretched over a year...and so so stupid. Everything you say will be held against you as we're seeing so best to shut up and pay a lawyer to navigate. It will be interesting to see what transpires between now and the trial date.
And as far as I’m concerned, BM NOT employing a lawyer early on as he was advised to do was in fact DIVINE INTERVENTION. So, there’s THAT Mr. Morphew!!:p:D

Did the AA say Barry's phone was in airplane mode during his Valentine's Day rendezvous at the Antler Hotel? (What is his obsession with antlers????)

But about his phone.... his hotel lover should give some serious thought to that. When Barry uses airplane mode, people die.

JMO

Soooo, he did not go home to eat soup with her, he went home snuck up through the woods and darted her in the butt and proceeded to chase her around the house and yard. Then went to DSI and had the blade worked on. I just wonder if he borrowed the blade he was wanting to buy for just a little bit.

And another thing is he had to go to In for legal reasons and refused to tell SM why. I have always been very suspect of BM committing other crimes, this and the fact he was looking for "GIRLS" not women just solidifies that for me.

Interesting conversation. Here's an observation I think is interesting. The elements of Murder in the First Degree do not require the prosecution to prove how, when, or where the defendant committed the crime. They don't require proof of means, motive, or opportunity. All the jury needs to believe is that BM intentionally killed his wife, and that he did so after deliberation.

All the discussion about what's missing in the affidavit is an effort to focus on the hole and ignore the doughnut IMO.

Here's the statute:

Colorado Revised Statutes § 18-3-102. Murder in the first degree

(1) A person commits the crime of murder in the first degree if: (a) After deliberation and with the intent to cause the death of a person other than himself, he causes the death of that person or of another person...

Last edited:
Top Five Most Explosive Details in Lengthy Barry Morphew Murder Investigation Affidavit That Was Just Released

1. Four days before a neighbor reported her missing, Suzanne Morphew sent her husband a text message “let’s handle this civilly,” allegedly referring to divorce.

2. Barry Morphew allegedly denied knowledge of the affair more than a dozen times to law enforcement, calling his marriage “perfect.”

3. Authorities regarded the discovery of Suzanne Morphew’s bicycle near her house as suspicious—because there were no skid marks.

4. Authorities allegedly recovered deletions on Barry Morphew’s phone, including calls with his wife days before she went missing—and creepy internet searches.

5. Authorities provide more details about Suzanne Morphew’s depiction of her husband as “Jekyll and Hyde” — and why her friend allegedly bought her a “spy pen” to record him.

*Is anyone else really struggling to use WS right now? It's very laggy.

Let's play Connect the Dots:
  • Unknown 2nd device first used on 11/30/2019. (pg. 44)
  • “The last travel I have for (SM) returning from San Jose, Mexico on 12/02/2019.” (pg. 45)
  • 91 associations to Barry’s iphone between 11/30/2019 – 5/12/2020 (pg. 44)
  • 0 associations to Barry’s iphone after 5/12/2020 –all the way up to the time of arrest a year later (pg. 44)
Seems to me that Barry bought a burner phone while in Mexico and used it to plan his wife’s murder.

I've noticed a common thread among posters who think the case against BM is weak: they tend to overstate the burden of proof required for conviction. They use words like "beyond any doubt," or "beyond all doubt," or they bemoan the absence of a "smoking gun," as in, "I saw the defendant standing over the body with a smoking gun" i.e. proof beyond any doubt whatsoever.

The jury will be instructed otherwise. Here's the instruction, from the Colorado Model Criminal Jury Instructions (BBM):

E:03 PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE, BURDEN OF PROOF, AND REASONABLE DOUBT

Every person charged with a crime is presumed innocent. This presumption of innocence remains with the defendant throughout the trial and should be given effect by you unless, after considering all of the evidence, you are then convinced that the defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

The burden of proof is upon the prosecution to prove to the satisfaction of the jury beyond a reasonable doubt the existence of all of the elements necessary to constitute the crime charged.

Reasonable doubt means a doubt based upon reason and common sense which arises from a fair and rational consideration of all of the evidence, or the lack of evidence, in the case. It is a doubt which is not a vague, speculative or imaginary doubt, but such a doubt as would cause reasonable people to hesitate to act in matters of importance to themselves.

If you find from the evidence that each and every element of a crime has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt, you should find the defendant guilty of that crime. If you find from the evidence that the prosecution has failed to prove any one or more of the elements of a crime beyond a reasonable doubt, you should find the defendant not guilty of that crime.

Last edited:
I've noticed a common thread among posters who think the case against BM is weak: they tend to overstate the burden of proof required for conviction. They use words like "beyond any doubt," or "beyond all doubt," or they bemoan the absence of a "smoking gun," as in, "I saw the defendant standing over the body with a smoking gun" i.e. proof beyond any doubt whatsoever.

The jury will be instructed otherwise. Here's the instruction, from the Colorado Model Criminal Jury Instructions (BBM):

E:03 PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE, BURDEN OF PROOF, AND REASONABLE DOUBT

Every person charged with a crime is presumed innocent. This presumption of innocence remains with the defendant throughout the trial and should be given effect by you unless, after considering all of the evidence, you are then convinced that the defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

The burden of proof is upon the prosecution to prove to the satisfaction of the jury beyond a reasonable doubt the existence of all of the elements necessary to constitute the crime charged.

Reasonable doubt means a doubt based upon reason and common sense which arises from a fair and rational consideration of all of the evidence, or the lack of evidence, in the case. It is a doubt which is not a vague, speculative or imaginary doubt, but such a doubt as would cause reasonable people to hesitate to act in matters of importance to themselves.

If you find from the evidence that each and every element of a crime has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt, you should find the defendant guilty of that crime. If you find from the evidence that the prosecution has failed to prove any one or more of the elements of a crime beyond a reasonable doubt, you should find the defendant not guilty of that crime.

Trust me, I understand the law, WELL. I have never said "beyond any doubt". I have ALWAYS said beyond reasonable doubt. And I still don't know if he will be convicted. While we here all understand what happened, I'm not sure they can PROVE it in a court of law, and that's exactly what's required, proof. It isn't about a smoking gun. It's about the state's burden of PROVING (beyond reasonable doubt) that this is 1st degree murder. You're talking about a life sentence. I'm just not sure a jury will buy it given what's here.

On May 9, 2020, Barry bragged to Morgan that he would be able to "bury a body" and "it would never be found." That narcissist just can't keep his mouth shut! I bet he was reallly hoping she wouldn't share that little tidbit with LE. (pg.52)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle