Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^rsbm

Judge Murphy ruled that BM be bound over for trial on the charge of first-degree Murder. Not sure why OP believes Judge saw little evidence of premeditation?

COUNT 1-MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE (F1) Between and including May 9, 2020 and May 10, 2020, Barry Lee Morphew unlawfully, feloniously, after deliberation, and with the intent to cause the death of a person other than himself, caused the death of Suzanne Renee Morphew; in violation of section 18-3-102(1)(a), C.R.S. C

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/21CR78 Morphew Amended Complaint 051821.pdf
Yes, I may be wrong about that...I thought I saw it somewhere on a thread here but was too lazy to check it.

In the early pages of the AA, during one of the interviews with, I believe, Grusling....the issue was the helmet and bike having been found...and Barry asked about Suzanne's phone. When asked where he thought the phone might be...Barry said to paraphrase "in between" the bike and the helmet. I found that to be quite interesting. Why would Barry expect the phone to be in that specific and , frankly... narrow area? Its as if Barry wanted the phone to be found just like he wanted the bike and helmet to be found. Maybe that area between those two items should be searched again?
I have to wonder if he planted the phone in or close to the water’s edge. You know, maybe she “got in the river” with her phone? Did the water level rise quickly with the spring melt and it got taken with the rush? I don’t know, but he says he thought all along that LE had the phone and I cannot forget Tyson Draper reporting that he saw BM coming up out of the water all wet and red the day prior to his informal “interview.” What were you doing down there Barry? Looking for the phone you planted that no one found?

The game cams are interesting....I thought for some reason they were all in the garage or something like that...will have to go search. People that use those tend to move them around and put them up and take them down to offload the SIM cards so I don't know. Prosecution is going to have to do a good job if they want to use the game cams in the trial in my opinion.

I have problems with the needle sheath.....it's definitely suspicious but the fact that it didn't have Barry's DNA is an issue maybe. Theoretically it went through the washer and the dryer so I have to wonder what that does to DNA or if DNA got picked up off the sheets or from the inside of the dryer but then the sheets were from one of girls' beds I thought but Suzanne would have stripped the sheets and put them in the washer and then in the dryer so her DNA makes sense. The biggest strangest thing for me is that there was so little of Barry's DNA picked up in places that were tested. The man didn't run around every day of his life with gloves on I'm sure.
I think at some point though you do start to question - how many coincidences can I accept in this case? E,g. the timing of the game cameras coming down.

Some people will accept none, no such thing etc...

Others will accept many, especially if that supports their argument.

I think I would probably accept one. After that, I would be on the hmmmmm train (and probably reconsider my acceptance of coincidence #1 too :D).

I agree IMO the man is a total intellectual simpleton - albeit a cunning manipulative street smart one.

He is so Neanderthal in his views on gender that he should be prosecuted on those alone

Regardless tho and most importantly after reading the AA , what are the odds that she died in any other way but at the hands of this guy?
Given that all her communications stopped/were suspended in mid air when BM got home that Saturday -
By BM’s own admission , they were the only two at the house until he left the next day -
Just a few minutes after he arrived home she was never heard from again. Never heard from again. Let that sink in.

I don’t have any worries with the evidence.

But as many of us have said, over and over again on these threads, the prosecution needs to up their game and even the playing field when it comes to the presentation of their evidence.

Meet fire with fire

BBM

ITA ^^^^^THIS^^^^^ couldn't have said it better myself !!

JMO

I was trying to find out if Barry can hunt, but I’m unclear. If you’re convicted of a felony you can’t, but nothing about if you have pending charges. Assuming he has to turn over his firearms at least? I want him to have nothing that he derives pleasure from while he awaits trial. I hope that he remains like a caged animal, with a scarlet letter if he ventures out. I want him to hate leaving the house.

IMO:

Barry's had 3 full days of celebrating what he thinks (in his walnut sized nugget brain) of proof the judge thinks he's innocent *or* he wouldn't have let him out the jailhouse.

How much longer until Barry begins ruminating and stewing in his guilt, starts spouting new stories and ideas and foolishness------ before he saws off that ankle bracelet and books it south out of Chaffee County?

Does he have enough friends and family and jailhouse letter writing females to support him in escaping the county,state, country + hiding?

Also, I was so sure we'd have more pics of him via 'daily fail', 'tmz', 'Enquiring minds' online tabloid photogs by now.

Can he make it thru a cold Colorado winter without falling apart?

I was trying to find out if Barry can hunt, but I’m unclear. If you’re convicted of a felony you can’t, but nothing about if you have pending charges. Assuming he has to turn over his firearms at least? I want him to have nothing that he derives pleasure from while he awaits trial. I hope that he remains like a caged animal, with a scarlet letter if he ventures out. I want him to hate leaving the house.

I want BM to not even have access to a slingshot. No hunting at all for you this year, BM. And no hunting with anyone else. Best take up fishing.

Given that BM has not been convicted of a felony, yet, I believe he was required only to surrender his weapons, and prohibited from possession of a weapon, under his bail release.

Seems he can hunt with a bow (maybe even a crossbow) as long as he uses the bow for its intended purpose. More info at the link.

Hunting licenses in Colorado
People need licenses from Colorado Parks and Wildlife to hunt lawfully in Colorado. Interestingly, this government agency does not run criminal background checks on applicants. Therefore, felons may obtain hunting licenses. However, having a hunting license does not give felons permission to possess prohibited weapons for hunting purposes.

In practice, many convicted felons press their luck and do hunt with weapons in Colorado. But they risk getting a POWPO conviction (explained above), which would add another felony to their criminal history.

Can a felon hunt with a crossbow in Colorado?
The law is unclear. A conservative reading of the applicable statutes is that felons in Colorado may not possess any weapons, including crossbows for hunting or non-hunting purposes. But it also can be argued that crossbows fall outside the definition of prohibited weapons by convicted felons as long as the blade is less than 3.5″ in length.

Can a felon hunt with a crossbow in the state of Colorado?

The biggest strangest thing for me is that there was so little of Barry's DNA picked up in places that were tested. The man didn't run around every day of his life with gloves on I'm sure.

RSBM

I think it's even more damning actually, that his DNA is curiously absent from places it ought to have been.
Which indicates to me, he either did in fact wear gloves, or he did a lot of wiping down after the fact.
Heck, you don't even have to be a true crime fan to know about wiping things down.
It's been on every cop/crime tv show since Quincy MD. Yeah, I just aged myself. :)

IMO:

Barry's had 3 full days of celebrating what he thinks (in his walnut sized nugget brain) of proof the judge thinks he's innocent *or* he wouldn't have let him out the jailhouse.

How much longer until Barry begins ruminating and stewing in his guilt, starts spouting new stories and ideas and foolishness------ before he saws off that ankle bracelet and books it south out of Chaffee County?

Does he have enough friends and family and jailhouse letter writing females to support him in escaping the county,state, country + hiding?

Also, I was so sure we'd have more pics of him via 'daily fail', 'tmz', 'Enquiring minds' online tabloid photogs by now.

bbm
My goodness.... if he tries that.... :eek:
Otoh, go ahead, Barry.
And the guards and warden will give you a nice welcome back. :rolleyes:
Imo.

RSBM

I think it's even more damning actually, that his DNA is curiously absent from places it ought to have been.
Which indicates to me, he either did in fact wear gloves, or he did a lot of wiping down after the fact.
Heck, you don't even have to be a true crime fan to know about wiping things down.
It's been on every cop/crime tv show since Quincy MD. Yeah, I just aged myself. :)

In addition to gloves or wiping the evidence, there's always the possibility that BM is a poor DNA shedder. Seems to there was a lot of samples that were insufficient and/or could not be typed:

Abstract
We have shown that there is a difference between individuals in their tendency to deposit DNA on an item when it is touched. While a good DNA shedder may leave behind a full DNA profile immediately after hand washing, poor DNA shedders may only do so when their hands have not been washed for a period of 6h. We have also demonstrated that transfer of DNA from one individual (A) to another (B) and subsequently to an object is possible under specific laboratory conditions using the AMPFISTR SGM Plus multiplex at both 28 and 34 PCR cycles. This is a form of secondary transfer. If a 30 min or 1h delay was introduced before contact of individual B with the object then at 34 cycles a mixture of profiles from both individuals was recovered. We have also determined that the quantity and quality of DNA profiles recovered is dependent upon the particular individuals involved in the transfer process. The findings reported here are preliminary and further investigations are underway in order to further add to understanding of the issues of DNA transfer and persistence.

The propensity of individuals to deposit DNA and secondary transfer of low level DNA from individuals to inert surfaces - PubMed

IMO:

On this subject, it warms the cockles of my heart to know that everyone who sees Barry in public will think, “There’s the guy that murdered his wife.”

I think the point is that a typical juror, not familiar with emotional control in DV, will see the affair, travel, etc., as proof that she wasn't "controlled" to the point of really wanting to leave. A juror may think "if I had that kind of life, I wasn't going anywhere." It's subtle, but the defense argument may be that Barry felt the same way - that he didn't think she was leaving, hence no motive.

I actually think he was terrified she would leave, for whatever reason, and take half the money. As the one guy said, in AA, "don't get in between Barry and his money."
If this is the OP's point, there's a serious underestimation of the "typical juror" and a gross misconception of the jury process.

ITA that BM was terrified SM would leave and take not only the money but the facade she had helped to create, of BM the man's man with the biggest house, the noisiest truck, the prettiest wife and most virtuous daughters...all the props and symbols supporting a gigantic masculine pride. He was so terrified that his defense mechanisms kicked in - denial first and foremost. Until her "I'm done" tweet on May 6.

MOO.

I have never seen a person's appearance change so drastically. Also alot of false projections when he was released on bail. Thank his attorneys for that..imo.

Agree 100%...MOO, this is strategic. Perhaps his attorneys are preparing a "whole" new look for Barry for the trial next year? Soften up the hard, angry and weathered look he once had? All to portray a soft, mild-mannered gentleman (gag) and dedicated father for the jurors?
MOO

Top Five Most Explosive Details in Lengthy Barry Morphew Murder Investigation Affidavit That Was Just Released

1. Four days before a neighbor reported her missing, Suzanne Morphew sent her husband a text message “let’s handle this civilly,” allegedly referring to divorce.

2. Barry Morphew allegedly denied knowledge of the affair more than a dozen times to law enforcement, calling his marriage “perfect.”

3. Authorities regarded the discovery of Suzanne Morphew’s bicycle near her house as suspicious—because there were no skid marks.

4. Authorities allegedly recovered deletions on Barry Morphew’s phone, including calls with his wife days before she went missing—and creepy internet searches.

5. Authorities provide more details about Suzanne Morphew’s depiction of her husband as “Jekyll and Hyde” — and why her friend allegedly bought her a “spy pen” to record him.

*Is anyone else really struggling to use WS right now? It's very laggy.
The author of this article missed all the most explosive facts IMO. This is a really superficial assessment.

I do consider the area between the helmet and the bike to be small and quite searchable when compared to the infinite alternative. More importantly, the question was posed to Barry specifically (asking for his help strategy) where he thought the phone might be. He in turn provided a specific response....which, one would expect to be "who knows"? If that area were combed....and if the phone was dumped...I would expect it to be located in a manner consistent with the helmet and bike...i.e. "findable" because that was Barry's intent, imo. He seems to be preoccupied with finding the phone, in particular...just like the bike and the helmet.....but not Suzanne. I think he wanted the phone to be found early on....maybe not so much now.

I sort of go back and forth on this. I feel like Barry throws out red herrings and often repeats them in order to lead the investigators astray. When he talks to LE, I think he also tries to sprinkle in the tiniest grains of truth and then uses that to build lies.

He was so insistent that LE search the river for the body. But he seemed shifty and very uncomfortable when asked about the mines. Same kind of thing with the phone. I am guessing he destroyed the phone, like crushed it into unrecognizable oblivion/small pieces, then tossed the debris in various placecs away from the body. Wouldn't it be great for him if LE wasted lots of time combing the landscape for a nonexistent phone and a nonexistent body in the river. This is all just opinion and conjecture.

Agree 100%...MOO, this is strategic. Perhaps his attorneys are preparing a "whole" new look for Barry for the trial next year? Soften up the hard, angry and weathered look he once had? All to portray a soft, mild-mannered gentleman (gag) and dedicated father for the jurors?
MOO
And that's why they're paid the big bucks! They also know it's an effective strategy for the type of clients they tend to represent. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awb1903