Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
So BM got to remain at the Cushman residence right? I wonder if that B&B faces a direction that BM want to keep binoculars on? Hmmmm.
If there is something on his old land that BM wants to retrieve, the SD package pickup could have been a reconnaissance mission. BM probably has been watching his old home for signs of habitation and he needed to know if the new owners have a security system. Now he also knows his ankle bracelet won’t pick him up if he goes creepy crawling around over there. He just has to stay out of view of the security cameras.
Attached map shows his former house, the house where he is now staying, (Cushman), the house where JR and MR reside and for whom BM has a no contact order, (Ritter), and in green, the S Arkansas River area along which BM walked on May 9 towards the Monarch Spur RV park.
He was allegedly turning off trail cams. What else may he have been doing back there that day before he murdered his wife? Did he dig a hidey hole for a certain diamond ring that he would like to get back?
Didn’t TD find him soaking wet crawling up from that very same river one afternoon?

Attachments

• 0AFE9DE2-62D5-4549-8268-12761439D260.jpeg
    0AFE9DE2-62D5-4549-8268-12761439D260.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 84
If there is something on his old land that BM wants to retrieve, the SD package pickup could have been a reconnaissance mission. BM probably has been watching his old home for signs of habitation and he needed to know if the new owners have a security system. Now he also knows his ankle bracelet won’t pick him up if he goes creepy crawling around over there. He just has to stay out of view of the security cameras.
Attached map shows his former house, the house where he is now staying, (Cushman), the house where JR and MR reside and for whom BM has a no contact order, (Ritter), and in green, the S Arkansas River area along which BM walked on May 9 towards the Monarch Spur RV park.
He was allegedly turning off trail cams. What else may he have been doing back there that day before he murdered his wife? Did he dig a hidey hole for a certain diamond ring that he would like to get back?
Didn’t TD find him soaking wet crawling up from that very same river one afternoon?
That would make a lot of sense to me. That "wet" footage always struck me as totally bizarre.

BUT didn’t BM sell the Puma Path home on his own accord? I thought he sold it and was living elsewhere for months before he was arrested. My point, he would have taken/moved everything of importance. I do think the delivery of his package was a mistake and the plan to retrieve it stupid. I side with however the homeowner wanted to deal with it within the law.

With how much investigators took a deep dive into the lives of BM & SM did they really miss an affair BM was having? IIRC LE stated he didn’t & wasn’t having an affair. I do think he gave himself permission after SM went missing and I don’t think LE had told him of SM’s affair yet, unless I’m misremembering. BM choice in a girlfriend/close friend does not seem like a wise choice. I find it weird because he seems like such a square, a killjoy. Maybe he’s entertained by her. I don’t know… IMO

If not the ring, I believe Suzanne's phone may have gotten itself in the river, with help. Seemed to be eating him alive too, not knowing whether LE had found it.

Didn't he say LE messed up the crime scene? Was there additional staging that didn't play out as he intended?

Can someone help me to understand the helmet? Was it a work in progress? Didn't think of the mountain lion angle until after casting it a mile upstream on the road? Why would it be there? Do you have any idea how hard it is for Cat to unbuckle a helmet? No opposable thumbs and not much for patience either, and me, if I'm getting mauled by Cat, I'm not taking my helmet off. It might be the only protection I've got. Human abductor -- hmm, grabs middle aged woman off her bike, sets her down so he can launch her bike over the edge, ducks her into his vehicle, drives a pace, then orders her to hand over her helmet so he can chuck it at random out the window. Did imaginary abductor also make a u-turn at Garfield in order to better align with the helmet drop?

Those tire casts the didn't match anything -- did Barry have access to a different vehicle for his searches, all the mountains, 200 mile radius? Can we be certain the helmet wasn't placed there until after 5/10? After the Cat tale failed to wag?

It's not lost on me that Barry seems to be very comfortable on the adjoining property. 5/9.... all Barry had to do was lock up his truck for the night, load up his cooler or rucksack, throw it up on his shoulder firefighter-style and walk from one PP property to another. Might've had access to other vehicles, all wheel drive or all terrain, and off he goes. Off grid from roughly 11 pm to 3 am. Busy B. But why wait so long? Throw a couple journals on the fire and head out for a while. He may well have gone on that hike with Suzanne after all, earlier in the evening, long before plating his steak.

Only, he was hiking on foot and she? She was over his shoulder.

JMO

Last edited:
I do think BM is at Cushman property cos there is something at PP he doesn't want found, something small, syringe maybe, towel, sim card for a missing phone? He was also exceptionally precious about AM being on the property during the search for Suzanne last year. Cushman property gives him visual of the former family home, his beady little hunter eyes constantly watching.
Also, I think him being there suits him and his defence team, can just picture some fake 26 second video in the future being released by him saying he moved back there as he is 'waiting for his angel to return to him' or something along those lines.

moo

Ebm

You’re right, @Scootie98. That’s one curious trio. The usual scenarios don’t play out here. If SD and FB were in cahoots with BM to disappear SM, it doesn’t make sense that FB would be okay with SD ending up with BM. If SD and FB disappeared FB on their own, the same logic would apply. If SD and BM disappeared SM, SD must have had a very amicable breakup with FB plus a carrot on a string to get FB to report the “suspicious vehicle”. Or, it could be a giant coincidence that FB happened to see a suspicious vehicle near PP on the very day SM disappeared. And I don’t believe in coincidences.

SD and FB both reported a suspicious vehicle, not sure when they ended their engagement but for both to report they must have been out independently, otherwise why would they both call? That’s some odds, separately seeing a suspicious vehicle and both calling it in. For them both to call that had to be one attention getting vehicle. Surely, they could describe it. I would love to know if they gave matching descriptions.

HMMM so what prompted the calls? Roughly what time did they see the suspicious vehicle? If early in the day because Suzanne usually rode from 8-9 AM well that doesn't work, Suzanne didn't ride in the morning, that's would only be to substantiate Barry's claim. Actually, adds another coincidence depending on when they say they saw this vehicle. (I can only hope the calls are (recorded/available) Suzanne didn't ride in the morning, seems everyone knew that but Barry.

Then when you consider that BM suggested early on in the investigation (Page 21 of the AA.)

"Barry initially identified the Cushman's "cleaning lady's daughter and boyfriend" as possible suspicious persons."

So how did Barry know she had a daughter if he didn't know her? I've posted before that I had read this in the past as "Daughter and her boyfriend" thinking the daughter's boyfriend...but now it's clear Barry means SD's boyfriend, FB.

What a trio indeed...

That's the type of info I hope we read about in the case file, to help make sense, and tie things together. When was this accusation by Barry made and why would he possibly think "this stranger's" college age daughter is involved, and why not the "cleaning lady herself"?

Perfect visual -- thank you @OldCop!

BUT didn’t BM sell the Puma Path home on his own accord? I thought he sold it and was living elsewhere for months before he was arrested. My point, he would have taken/moved everything of importance. I do think the delivery of his package was a mistake and the plan to retrieve it stupid. I side with however the homeowner wanted to deal with it within the law.

With how much investigators took a deep dive into the lives of BM & SM did they really miss an affair BM was having? IIRC LE stated he didn’t & wasn’t having an affair. I do think he gave himself permission after SM went missing and I don’t think LE had told him of SM’s affair yet, unless I’m misremembering. BM choice in a girlfriend/close friend does not seem like a wise choice. I find it weird because he seems like such a square, a killjoy. Maybe he’s entertained by her. I don’t know… IMO

Killjoy. Apt description of BM! I do think it’s possible he was involved with someone (or even a few someones) and it was not discovered because he had another phone. LE said they almost didn’t discover Suzanne’s affair, and I would have thought with the volume of contact she had with JL it would have been much easier to detect.

By comparison, when authorities found evidence indicative of an alleged extramarital affair between SM and JL, he confirmed that they'd been having an affair for about 18 months before SM vanished. On the other hand, authorities only had evidence of a relationship between BM and SD after May 9, 2020, and they both denied they were anything more than "friends."

ETA: I'm reminded per @Cindizzi's Twitter posts that this was not to say that BM wasn't actively looking for an affair partner.

Last edited:
From the Prelim

https://twitter.com/jamiealeary/status/1424851449406648328?s=21
Talking about spy pen #SuzanneMorphew purchased to see if #BarryMorphew was having an affair. No affair has been proven but FBI agent says they likely never would've found her affair if not for the pen-she accidentally recorded a convo w/ the man she was involved with @CBSDenver

https://twitter.com/shellybradbury/status/1425125808532721666?s=21
On redirect, Lindsey says there were indications that Barry Morphew was 'out there looking' to have an affair. He refers to a screenshot from Barry's phone looking for 'cute girls near Salida,' and defense objects

https://twitter.com/shellybradbury/status/1425126986775597058?s=21
“There was some deleted web history on his phone that showed searching Ashley Madison, and a web search for cute girls -” Harris testifies, before defense objects. Defense says the iCloud account was shared among the family, & Suzanne could have made that search on Barry's phone

https://twitter.com/shellybradbury/status/1425127828480139274?s=21
Ashley Madison is a dating service marketed toward married people

Last edited:
SD and FB both reported a suspicious vehicle, not sure when they ended their engagement but for both to report they must have been out independently, otherwise why would they both call? That’s some odds, separately seeing a suspicious vehicle and both calling it in. For them both to call that had to be one attention getting vehicle. Surely, they could describe it. I would love to know if they gave matching descriptions.
^^RSBM

I believe the accounts were independent of each other and completely different:

FD, an avid mountain biker, specifically stated that on Sunday, May 9, he was riding on the bike trail that SM allegedly crashed and disappeared from and recalled seeing a suspicious vehicle (i.e., one vehicle) on County Road 225. FD states that after hearing the radio announcement of a lady missing, he called the tipline and told a detective that he saw a vehicle on CR 225 that looked out of place, and in his opinion, didn't appear to belong.

Per the AA (pg 121/131), SD told investigators that in May 2020, she called the tip line to report strange vehicles (plural) in the area around Puma Path [Road] around the time SM disappeared.

Authorities cordon off home of missing Chaffee County woman | FOX31 Denver

People keep mentioning Barry “screwing up” but really there is not much to screw up except missing a trip to download the device or leaving Chaffee County without permission. I guess he could harass a witness that lives in Chaffee County but I see that as highly improbable. It might be a long winter without much to talk about. Barry has everything to gain right now by not breaking the conditions.
He could harass all the witnesses or arrange for them to be harassed or harmed.
He's confident now.
His lawyers are brilliant.

If not the ring, I believe Suzanne's phone may have gotten itself in the river, with help. Seemed to be eating him alive too, not knowing whether LE had found it.

Didn't he say LE messed up the crime scene? Was there additional staging that didn't play out as he intended?

Can someone help me to understand the helmet? Was it a work in progress? Didn't think of the mountain lion angle until after casting it a mile upstream on the road? Why would it be there? Do you have any idea how hard it is for Cat to unbuckle a helmet? No opposable thumbs and not much for patience either, and me, if I'm getting mauled by Cat, I'm not taking my helmet off. It might be the only protection I've got. Human abductor -- hmm, grabs middle aged woman off her bike, sets her down so he can launch her bike over the edge, ducks her into his vehicle, drives a pace, then orders her to hand over her helmet so he can chuck it at random out the window. Did imaginary abductor also make a u-turn at Garfield in order to better align with the helmet drop?

Those tire casts the didn't match anything -- did Barry have access to a different vehicle for his searches, all the mountains, 200 mile radius? Can we be certain the helmet wasn't placed there until after 5/10? After the Cat tale failed to wag?

It's not lost on me that Barry seems to be very comfortable on the adjoining property. 5/9.... all Barry had to do was lock up his truck for the night, load up his cooler or rucksack, throw it up on his shoulder firefighter-style and walk from one PP property to another. Might've had access to other vehicles, all wheel drive or all terrain, and off he goes. Off grid from roughly 11 pm to 3 am. Busy B. But why wait so long? Throw a couple journals on the fire and head out for a while. He may well have gone on that hike with Suzanne after all, earlier in the evening, long before plating his steak.

JMO
Short answers to long thought provoking questions, off the top off my head

Would the phone matter either way at this point? I’m no techy by far, but thinking it may have been much more important initially for Barry...you know, for CCSO to the find boyfriend? Would the hardware, the actual phone and sim(?) card etc, have given them more info? As it was, it took LE 6 months. I have my doubts (knowing Barry as we do) about the ring ever being real. If it was he has it, end of story. IMO

I believe he added animal tracts around the path/road area…always have. It was more than the bike, the area was surrounded by his artwork.

Can someone help me to understand the helmet?

IMO It was a glance over on the passenger seat, a glimmer of light hitting the top of the helmet and It was an “Oh Damn…the helmet!!!” No thinking to it, the helmet had to go then and there.

It's not lost on me that Barry seems to be very comfortable on the adjoining property. 5/9. IMO Comfortable because it’s free.. and for Barry to throw a couple journals on the fire that night , a last-minute thought, BUT insurance. Way better burned than tossed (in case they were ever recovered. ) I could be wrong but it seems to me if other material items were recovered from a dump site/trash can i.e. a tote, clothing etc., it would be too contaminated with other matter to be used as solid evidence but someone's writing is a whole different ball game, absolutely unique to them. It made sense to burn that material.

He may well have gone on that hike with Suzanne after all, earlier in the evening, long before plating his steak. Can you imagine eating a meal at that point??? I’m thinking he did.

Only, he was hiking on foot and she? She was over his shoulder. JMO…Agree.

Last edited:
The best move the DA could make at this point is to hire THE best prosecuting attorney money can buy. Someone needs to lay this story out for the jury in a clear and convincing manner. Not piecemeal fashion like we have gotten. But a very organized delivery of the evidence. The evidence IS convincing. But someone needs to put this together for the jury in a damning fashion that ties it all together with ease. There is NO doubt in my mind, but I have been paying attention for a long time. We don't need an amateur here. There are a few on here that could help them out...
Yes I too think what you suggest would be a very good and wise move by the DA. When I read your post, someone instantly popped into my mind- former Orange County, CA prosecutor Matt Murphy. Some may already be familiar, but he was a top prosecutor for OCDA for 20+ years. He departed the OCDA a couple years ago and now operates a private practice and is also a legal analyst for ABC. I’ve watched quite a few episodes of 20/20 which featured homicide cases that Matt analyzed and discussed. They consisted of recent high profile cases he assisted/provided consultation on, and past high profile cases he prosecuted during his time at OCDA. Majority of which, like many cases including this case, mostly and/or entirely circumstantial, that he brought to successful prosecution and conviction.
IMO this guy is good, and in addition to his other attributes, he’s a fierce victim’s advocate and very supportive of victim’s families.
From his interviews and the clips of footage I’ve seen of him in action on cases he’s prosecuted, imo he’s definitely a presence, knows how to command a courtroom, and force to be reckoned with. Intelligent, steady, methodical and yes imo, highly skilled at laying out the evidence in a clear, convincing manner so jurors are able to connect the dots, which like others have mentioned and I agree, this case is going to need in a lead prosecuting attorney. I’m sure someone of this caliber wouldn’t come cheap but imo, would be well worth the money.

I’ve included a link below about Matt Murphy and a couple of things that jump out that I think really could help/benefit the state’s case against BM if they were to hire someone with similar expertise and credentials:
“Matt Murphy has trained prosecutors for the California Department of Justice, the California District Attorneys Association, and the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.
He became a sought-after speaker regarding complex murder trials, the tactics of cross examination, and effective closing arguments. Mr. Murphy has tried over 200 criminal cases to verdict, including well over 100 jury trials.”
Mr. Murphy also tried some of the most interesting, complex, and difficult cases in Orange County. He successfully prosecuted cases against some of the finest and most experienced defense lawyers in the country.”

Although I was very disappointed to hear the news of JL’s departure in the middle of the case, I do believe there’s still plenty of time for JL’s replacement to get up to speed on the case. And maybe it will end up being a good thing in the long run, if they hire someone really exceptional and highly skilled similar to the above, which I do believe they need and beneficial going up against E&N.

About - Matt Murphy Law APC.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
I do think BM is at Cushman property cos there is something at PP he doesn't want found, something small, syringe maybe, towel, sim card for a missing phone? He was also exceptionally precious about AM being on the property during the search for Suzanne last year. Cushman property gives him visual of the former family home, his beady little hunter eyes constantly watching.
Also, I think him being there suits him and his defence team, can just picture some fake 26 second video in the future being released by him saying he moved back there as he is 'waiting for his angel to return to him' or something along those lines.

moo

Ebm
He had months after Suzanne went missing to do any clean up. I just don’t think there is anything close to his old home that he wants or is concerned about.

JMO
I love your writing style. :cool:

Yes, he did sell the house quite a while before he was arrested. However, I believe he knew he was being watched. I don’t know whether or not he hid anything on or near their property, but if he did, I think he thought it would be safest where he originally hid it. After all, they hadn’t found it up until then. He had easy access to that whole area any time he wanted to go back. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he chose the Cushman house to bide his time while awaiting trial. It’s a nice little perch from which to keep his eyes on things.
As far as an affair? Maybe he didn’t have one per se, but I wouldn’t put it past him to have a few one or two or three night stands. After all, he’s the person who says he doesn’t watch *advertiser censored* on the internet, but does look at pictures of naked ladies. :rolleyes:

Yes, he did sell the house quite a while before he was arrested. However, I believe he knew he was being watched. I don’t know whether or not he hid anything on or near their property, but if he did, I think he thought it would be safest where he originally hid it. After all, they hadn’t found it up until then. He had easy access to that whole area any time he wanted to go back. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he chose the Cushman house to bide his time while awaiting trial. It’s a nice little perch from which to keep his eyes on things.
As far as an affair? Maybe he didn’t have one per se, but I wouldn’t put it past him to have a few one or two or three night stands. After all, he’s the person who says he doesn’t watch *advertiser censored* on the internet, but does look at pictures of naked ladies. :rolleyes:

Excellent observations as always!

I do think that the hunter started to feel hunted, as if suddenly all the deer around him had spy eyes. Might've had good reason, too, if LE was popping up custom traffic cams and as quickly as he used to string trail cams. He may have felt surveilled. To the point of paranoia, not unlike I imagine Suzanne felt. In her own home.

But he also might have retained some old arrogance and gained some new confidence as he (thought he) chummed his way out of interviews, thinking he'd out-talked them every time. Until he was arrested.

And that gave him MONTHS to reflect on his earth-moving situation. If only Patrick Frazee had slipped him some commissary napkins, we might now be reading what Barry's to do list looks like. The minute he was loose, my guess, he went straight to work. Not honest day, honest dollar work, but tying up any loose ends, settling scores, surveying the (lion) kingdom. And right there at his right hand, if she wasn't there all along, she is now -- his errand runner, as seen on camera no less. How quaint. He plans, she does his bidding. There's a word for that, brought to us about 80 threads ago, by an old WS friend -- Barry, the puppetmaster. I imagine that's how he spent his summer, figuring out what he needed and whom he could get to do it. Package getter, ploy.

I wonder if he's still getting up, what was that, 280 times a night or something? How long's too long in a hot tub with an ankle monitor anyway?

What IS he up to ?

Wish we were privy to his next move.

JMO

Last edited:
To clarify from upthread, I do think there's a fair chance Suzanne's phone got itself bunted into the creek. I think the stager thought it would point to Suzanne getting herself in the river. No way did he want anyone to see the conversations on her phone which he'd already deleted from his. Hence, the water landing. Betting he smashed it good shortly before its last ping, before batting it into the brink. Where, if found, it would be entirely waterlogged and all kinds of broken.

Clever guy.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members