Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the aerial helicopter/drone video over Puma Path happened early in the investigation, it seems likely that any setup for a clothesline would have remained in place and visible, and I don't recall seeing it. I suspect there wasn't one. MOO though.

Also, the spacious acreage is hardly relevant, since one would not install a clothesline far from the house.

Perhaps for my benefit alone, I want to try to break down the parts to the laundry detail.

Barry claimed he hadn't used his tranquing equipment in Colorado, but then (probably when confronted with the recovery of the syringe cap) admitted to shooting two deer (who fell asleep and awakened hornless) from the breezeway (again probably to align his story with something LE told him).

If Suzanne's To Do list is legitimate, it isolates the cap essentially to that load of laundry, that day.

Of course it's possible Suzanne started that load in 2019 or on 5/6, but is it reasonable that Suzanne would leave clothes in the dryer for days or weeks on end? Especially in light of her To Do list. I suspect the list itself is time dependent--maybe a Saturday chore list or a Before the Girls Get Home list.

Also Suzanne had clothes in there. Did SHE combine sheets and clothes? I don't usually do that but I have done it, when I have a small linen load and a smaller clothing load and don't want to wait for two cycles.

Did Barry say he saw Suzanne's bike shorts or just shorts?

I wonder how many she had. If it was bike shorts in the dryer and bike shorts, recovered from her closet, as a scent item, that's two pairs.... I wonder if he rifled through the laundry to remove an actual and full biking ensemble. I suspect, whether he did or not, that he made absolute certain no one had opportunity to inventory her wardrobe, to note what might be missing (unless he removed one full set). The white shorts and string top, what became of them?

Let's back this up. Let's say Suzanne started laundry earlier. And finished. What would she have taken out of the dryer? The sheets. Some of her clothes, apparently. Any of his? Socks? Not his shorts, unless he had multiple identical pairs. (Of note, in all those hotel images, he had multiple wardrobe changes, different shirts-- but he may have changed his pants/shorts too -- he could have owned a dozen pairs of identical khaki shorts, two dozen pairs of identical jeans.)

For the syringe cap to be in the dryer with laundry Suzanne started, I think we have to accept that Barry added the cap. What other vehicle than his shorts? (I wonder if Barry is a natural pocketer.) Doesn't make sense that the cap was placed in the wash with the sheets -- because why would Barry fill a syringe in that room? Not impossible however. Especially if he had been sleeping in the daughter's room. He admitted to sleeping on the guest room couch over snoring but maybe Suzanne booted him from her bedroom on 5/6). For more than snoring.

Suzanne may have been expecting Barry to do Mother's Day with her and the girls, before leaving in the late afternoon, for Denver. (To repair the wall with MG.) Suzanne may have been under the impression he'd be gone Sunday night and two or three additional nights... three or four nights she wouldn't have to sleep next to him, plus any during the girls' camping trip. Still, if he was sleeping in that room, he could have prepared the dart there, in the vicinity of the sheets, then gathered up by Suzanne, syringe cap unnoticed. But.... if he was sleeping in that bed, for Suzanne to change the sheets on Saturday makes no sense. Unless Suzanne had reason to believe that Barry was leaving for Denver on Saturday. Who knows what story to told her.... but if she did the sheets on Saturday and if she did it because Barry had been sleeping there, then she didn't expect him to be home on Saturday night! She may have had a huge willingness to be extra accommodating on Saturday because she believed she had a vacation coming -- vacation from him, that is. 5/9 or 5/10 through 5/12 or 5/13. Time to talk to the girls, without him....

Anyway, we have Barry somehow adding the cap to Suzanne's laundry.... and then Barry telling LE what he eventually saw in the dryer. Curious!! Why? Why did he look in the dryer? He said he was looking for socks. Favorite socks? His only socks? Chipmunk socks? If he says socks, I have to question it.

We know he knew there was laundry because he had to have added his shorts, so what did he remove?????? All his t-shirts? For his wardrobe changes? (But why wash them?)

IMO Barry took something out of the dryer. Because he needed to wear it or he needed to discard it. Not his shorts. Socks like he said (he was looking for)? His shirt? Underwear? A brown towel?

Between 5/9 and 5/10, Barry did a full cycle of laundry, and opened the dryer -- so something was important to him. And everything he didn't take, didn't.

What, what, what could be the significance?

What made him think to do laundry?????

Can any of you make sense of it?

My brain is on a spin cycle.

JMO

Last edited:
Hi all, hope everyone is OK and those that celebrate Thanksgiving had a wonderful time:)

I decorated our tree Christmas tree tonight, early I know, but I love Christmas :D and it also takes me forever to decorate at Christmas cos I change things about A LOT.

I hung a glass star in memory of Suzanne, when the tree lights flicker on it, it #shinesbright.

Sometimes I go down the rabbit holes, sometimes I try to keep it simple. Suzanne’s last communication with anyone on this earth was at 2:47 pm Saturday. Barry has said in every single interview that he left a sleeping Suzanne the next morning. I would like to see a graph of Suzanne’s normal daily communications. How many days in the year before was Suzanne completely off the grid for that many hours? Let me guess. Zero. If Barry says Suzanne was alive and with him that whole time, one can presume he is lying as her daily behavior would show that she had never before ceased communicating for that length of time.

@marylamby bbm sbm for focus Respectfully disagreeing about lack of space for hanging sheets outdoors. PP prop was ~ 7+ acres or ~2.8 + hectares, so seems there'd be space for a clothesline.

Some subdivisions' HOA bylaws prohibit clothes lines. Maybe Monarch River Estates Owners Association too a nonprofit corp formed in 2008?

Not that Barry:rolleyes: would necessarily have complied:rolleyes: w HOA by-laws. my2ct

Since the aerial helicopter/drone video over Puma Path happened early in the investigation, it seems likely that any setup for a clothesline would have remained in place and visible, and I don't recall seeing it. I suspect there wasn't one. MOO though.

Also, the spacious acreage is hardly relevant, since one would not install a clothesline far from the house.
I haven’t seen a clothesline even in my rural area since the 60s and those people are long deceased. I can’t imagine in a jury of 12 too many people have the luxury of running to the dryer the minute the dryer buzzes to prevent wrinkles in their sheets. Maybe Suzanne had that luxury of time as a SAHM who knows. I can only imagine since I have never gone that route in life. I really think it was just as it appears…on her to do list and she washed and dried a load at some point and never emptied the dryer. The small needle sheath that was found later could have been in the dryer for a long, long time. LE missed it the first go round and all we know is that another le member was in the dryer at a later date and discovered it. So like the fire in the fireplace and the crack in the door frame it is very speculative to assume those 3 situations can be proved to have occurred that weekend from what we know. I of course do not know what prosecution will be able to use at trial but so far it feels to me their strongest argument would be the location information. Hopefully the re-do prosecution is doing on the discovery unearths some additional facts.

.... clothesline...? I don't recall seeing it. I suspect there wasn't one....
@Auntie Cipation sbm for focus Thx for your post, & I agree early aerial vid showed no clothesline.

Also agree that a clothesline would ordinarily not* be installed far from the PP house, and does not matter whether lot is 7 acres or 700. But someone posted that the prop lacked space for hanging sheets outdoors. So my post respectfully disagreed, and to that limited extent, the acreage was relevant imo. my2cts

Outside is not improved?
MOO The outside of the home is not improved at all. Some chairs stacked and some set around is all.
@Boxer Thx for your post. Okay, agreeing that PP exterior pix show patio furniture in a bit of disarray. my2ct
Not sure how it ties in w clothesline topic.

Outside is not improved?
@Boxer Thx for your post. Okay, agreeing that PP exterior pix show patio furniture in a bit of disarray. my2ct
It was early May. I live in cold climate and it is the rare rare year that out outer living areas have all the “stuff” in place from the winter storage or outdoor stacking. Most likely they clear a path to the hot tub during snow time and after the snow when the temps warm up slowly pull out what they need and put it in the sunshine patch. April and May can be lovely in sunshine at high elevation but spring is not in full force and it still snows usually a day or 2 in May.

Outside is not improved?
MOO there is no energy put into the property really.
A modern clothesline, is a kind of green type thing and is an improvement.
The energy went out their marriage completely when SM asked Barry to be home more after their move to CO and instead he joined the VFD.

@Auntie Cipation sbm for focus Thx for your post, & I agree early aerial vid showed no clothesline.

Also agree that a clothesline would ordinarily not* be installed far from the PP house, and does not matter whether lot is 7 acres or 700. But someone posted that the prop lacked space for hanging sheets outdoors. So my post respectfully disagreed, and to that limited extent, the acreage was relevant imo. my2cts

I completely agree the yard is more than spacious enough for a clothesline if desired, and I recognize your post was appropriate in response to a suggestion it was too small. Apologies for implying otherwise!

My sense is that, unless for environmental consciousness or energy conservation reasons, hanging clothes to dry is probably pretty rare among the relatively wealthy (or wannabes). I also think it's quite likely that Monarch Estates has HOA rules or CC&Rs that prohibit them. That's a guess but it would not surprise me.

(personally I haven't had a dryer for ~20 years, and half of that time I lived where it was too dusty and windy to hang clothes outdoors -- they would dry very fast but if a dust storm happened to come up the clothes would end up dirtier than before washing! I hung on indoor racks which I love. Last year I finally installed an outdoor line which I also use happily, 75 years behind the times :p )

It was early May. I live in cold climate and it is the rare rare year that out outer living areas have all the “stuff” in place from the winter storage or outdoor stacking....
@Momofthreeboys Thx for your post. I see what you're saying about the routine of moving exterior summer furniture in and out. Yes, now I've got it: May was a bit early for completion. TYVM

@Momofthreeboys Thx for your post. I see what you're saying about the routine of moving exterior summer furniture in and out. Yes, now I've got it: May was a bit early for completion. TYVM
Or perhaps Suzanne jumped the gun and wanted all the patio furnishings set in their normal spots because after all it was May. We know she requested hot tub chemicals that day from Barry when he informed her he was on the way home. Likely she planned to hot tub with her girls on Mother’s Day upon their arrival. IMO
Maybe she didn’t want Barry’s mom indulging on the hot tub antics and that chapped him too. Meanwhile I am back to spin cycle. IMO
Eta I need to view the video of the premise to determine whether they were moved contingent upon a spring cleaning prior to hot tub season enjoyment or something more nefarious.

I completely agree the yard is more than spacious enough for a clothesline if desired, and I recognize your post was appropriate in response to a suggestion it was too small. Apologies for implying otherwise!

My sense is that, unless for environmental consciousness or energy conservation reasons, hanging clothes to dry is probably pretty rare among the relatively wealthy (or wannabes). I also think it's quite likely that Monarch Estates has HOA rules or CC&Rs that prohibit them. That's a guess but it would not surprise me.

(personally I haven't had a dryer for ~20 years, and half of that time I lived where it was too dusty and windy to hang clothes outdoors -- they would dry very fast but if a dust storm happened to come up the clothes would end up dirtier than before washing! I hung on indoor racks which I love. Last year I finally installed an outdoor line which I also use happily, 75 years behind the times :p )
@Auntie Cipation Thanks for taking time to explain. Again I agree. No need for an apology. :):D

MOO there is no energy put into the property really.
A modern clothesline, is a kind of green type thing and is an improvement.
The energy went out their marriage completely when SM asked Barry to be home more after their move to CO and instead he joined the VFD.
@Boxer Thx for your post explaining the connection.
Sometimes I'm a bit ;)dense; sometimes I'm very ;););)dense.

I haven’t seen a clothesline even in my rural area since the 60s and those people are long deceased. I can’t imagine in a jury of 12 too many people have the luxury of running to the dryer the minute the dryer buzzes to prevent wrinkles in their sheets. Maybe Suzanne had that luxury of time as a SAHM who knows. I can only imagine since I have never gone that route in life. I really think it was just as it appears…on her to do list and she washed and dried a load at some point and never emptied the dryer. The small needle sheath that was found later could have been in the dryer for a long, long time. LE missed it the first go round and all we know is that another le member was in the dryer at a later date and discovered it. So like the fire in the fireplace and the crack in the door frame it is very speculative to assume those 3 situations can be proved to have occurred that weekend from what we know. I of course do not know what prosecution will be able to use at trial but so far it feels to me their strongest argument would be the location information. Hopefully the re-do prosecution is doing on the discovery unearths some additional facts.

In my neighborhood, according to strict HOA bylaws, we cannot use a line for hanging clothes to dry. We can't beat rugs that may allow debris to reach a neighboring home. We can't wash our cars in our driveway nor can our vehicles be worked on while on our property.

Do we know which section of the dryer was searched on the first go round? For me, it is just far too coincidental that a tranquilizing dart needle sheath was discovered at all. In fact, I will go so far as to assume that no one on the jury panel is going to ever expect to find a needle sheath from a tranquilizer dart inside their own clothes dryer.

Moreover, the burned items in the fireplace, the tranquilizer dart needle sheath, the cracked door frame, etal are highly incriminating when stacked together and placed alongside all of the other circumstantial evidence.

HOO

In my neighborhood, according to strict HOA bylaws, we cannot use a line for hanging clothes to dry. We can't beat rugs that may allow debris to reach a neighboring home. We can't wash our cars in our driveway nor can our vehicles be worked on while on our property.

Do we know which section of the dryer was searched on the first go round? For me, it is just far too coincidental that a tranquilizing dart needle sheath was discovered at all. In fact, I will go so far as to assume that no one on the jury panel is going to ever expect to find a needle sheath from a tranquilizer dart inside their own clothes dryer.

Moreover, the burned items in the fireplace, the tranquilizer dart needle sheath, the cracked door frame, etal are highly incriminating when stacked together and placed alongside all of the other circumstantial evidence.

HOO
I agree. I think one has to consider how reasonable Barry’s behavior was given that this was over a very limited range of time. During this period, he was: working at a job site, buying hot tub chemicals, replacing Bobcat blade, shooting chipmunks with a gun, eating chili, looking for a turkey that was shot months prior, running around his property, eating a steak, recruiting his work team for the job, washing clothes, driving after sighted elk, driving from Maysville to Broomfield, making 5 trash dumps, passing an extended stay in the parking lot of Men’s Warehouse, changing his outfits multiple times, hanging out in a hotel room by himself for 5 hours, working in Broomfield for 15 minutes, looking for a free breakfast, calling his neighbor Jeanne, and driving back to Maysville from Broomfield.

From my own life, if I take today as an example, I: woke up, drove to work, worked for nine hours, ate lunch, drove home, cooked and ate dinner, and later walked my dog.

Ummmm...one of these things is not like the other.

Last edited:

BIB

Racks are what we use both in the city and country - indoors in bad weather or just pop in outdoors in better weather (e.g on the patio)

Typically the rack just lives in the laundry room. Wonder if they did have one? Many people do especially because some things cannot go in the drier. e.g. wool, jackets, delicates etc

Anyway just a thought that she might have been interrupted in the wash and then Barry just threw everything in the drier together, because he was short on time, and knew that a wet wash left over from Saturday would be fatal to his story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500