Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, this smart team waited to file the motion until late afternoon Monday (after 3 pm)-- the day before BM's hearing! Had they filed their motion last week, the court probably would have continued Tuesday's hearing but this way they ensured they would be providing more drama for media attention when the hearing was cut short. For example, we're still talking about it!
True but only IF they truly just found out about the 360 pieces of data before Thursday as claimed. If they knew longer I agree but they are smart enough to see that strategy right away on the part of the prosecution so I tend to believe they didn't know until Thursday and got that motion written and submitted on Monday.

No legal ethics would preclude them from discussing SD's trespass case, plus he's not SD's lawyer someone else in the firm is so ethics at the firm would preclude discussion with her husband in my opinion. I admit it's getting muddier by the minute but I don't think there is a conflict between the two cases. The only common denominator was the judge presiding over the trespass case and now the murder case if SD is a primary witness as is alleged because the conflict of the judge if her lawyer is in court advising her through the murder trial.

Well now I'm disappointed, would have paid good money to see BM's face if this move by his defence team ended up backfiring on his arrogant rear end

Thank you for the response, much appreciated :)

EBM

Well now I'm disappointed, would have paid good money to see BM's face if this move by his defence team ended up backfiring on his arrogant rear end

Thank you for the response, much appreciated :)

EBM
I don't think it was a strategy. It was a legal, ethical situation and the judge acknowledged to the defense as such. I don't think I could even guess if it's a benefit to either side. I can pretty much guarantee you Barry isn't running this defense LOL he's just doing what his lawyers tell him to do and showing up when he's told to show up and dressing how they tell him to dress :)

I don't think it was a strategy. It was a legal, ethical situation and the judge acknowledged to the defense as such. I don't think I could even guess if it's a benefit to either side. I can pretty much guarantee you Barry isn't running this defense LOL he's just doing what his lawyers tell him to do and showing up when he's told to show up and dressing how they tell him to dress :)

Bet it infuriates him having to be TOLD what to do by women - that does please me. I imagine BM HATES being told what to do by someone else, I do think they should advise him on appropriate places to position your hands when assisting someone through a door however, as that just looked damn creepy imo.

I see GPS coordinates for Barry's truck at 4:44 PM in the telematic data in the AA, but I don't see coordinates for when he arrived home. Can someone please point them out to me? Or is this based on a PH tweet?
May 09, 14:43 – Barry’s phone and F-350, per telematics, arrive at the Morphew residence. – Find Suzanne Morphew

I'm not sure where they are at the moment. My graphics based on where the trailer was dropped. He pulled up to the house with the Bobcat on the trailer, he could not have pulled into the garage.
BarrysChipmunkChasept3.jpg
Screencap CBS Denver

Last edited:
That is my guess as well. If that fuse is pulled, I don't think the GPS would work, period. Also, I don't think any SYNC data would be sent. What I am wondering about is if this would cause a power removal event. Seems unlikely to me. Why would one design a system that cuts power if the GPS and SYNC don't work?

The telematics still recorded the GPS coordinates of door and light events.

Bet it infuriates him having to be TOLD what to do by women - that does please me. I imagine BM HATES being told what to do by someone else, I do think they should advise him on appropriate places to position your hands when assisting someone through a door however, as that just looked damn creepy imo.
I wonder if his lawyers advised him to go practically skipping into court and beaming ear to ear. For a hearing relating to his wife's murder. I would guess not.

JMO

Does this mean, she should also recuse/remove herself? Bias/Conflict of interest etc?
Genuinely asking as I have not got a clue but if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander and all that.
You have more than a clue!! The relationships between and among the lawyers in these small firms compromises the integrity of any deals they might eventually want to make between the two clients, such as a joint defense agreement. In BigLaw firms, you can set up a so-called "Chinese wall" where the Boston office represents one client and the Dallas office represents the other, with communications closely monitored. But such an ethical contrivance simply isn't plausible when the firms are small and the lawyers are married. Can they effectively represent these two parties? Is this a conflict of interest the clients can waive? Lots of questions arise from your very astute one, Lyanna!

If the appearance of impropriety is the standard for judicial ethics, it should also be the standard for attorney conflicts of interest. MOO, entirely - I'm not a lawyer.

I wonder if his lawyers advised him to go practically skipping into court and beaming ear to ear. For a hearing relating to his wife's murder. I would guess not.

JMO

I wanted to say something seeing the images of the 3 of them, each time I see any image of the 3 of them in fact - makes me mad and very sad for Suzanne.

Doubt it....there is no evidence he thinks less of women's brains or expresses those opinions. I think his attitudes about appearance based on the very little we know may be chauvinistic, but there's really nothing that says he thinks women are 'less smart' then men. He went to college, his wife went to college, his one daughter has graduated college.... he knows better than to voice those kinds of opinions even if he was cretin enough to think them in his head.

Doubt it....there is no evidence he thinks less of women's brains or expresses those opinions. I think his attitudes about appearance based on the very little we know may be chauvinistic, but there's really nothing that says he thinks women are 'less smart' then men. He went to college, his wife went to college, his one daughter has graduated college.... he knows better than to voice those kinds of opinions even if he was cretin enough to think them in his head.

I never said he thinks women are less smart than men.

<modsnip>

And being educated does not mean one is intelligent.

The AA paints a picture of a man who is not well spoken, does not think on a high level, lacks self awareness, operates outside of societal norms, and even lies in a childlike way.

Barry believed Suzanne should serve, honor, and obey him. He believed that marriage was forever, even saying as much to Grusing.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>

And being educated is very different than being intelligent.

The AA paints a picture of a man who is not well spoken, does not think on a high level, lacks self awareness, operates outside of societal norms, and even lies in a childlike way.

Barry believed Suzanne should serve, honor, and obey him. He believed that marriage was forever, even saying as much to Grusing.

<modsnip>
Thank you Mass Guy! You said it best.

<modsnip>

And being educated is very different than being intelligent.

<modsnip>

Thank you - spot on as always.

Wait. What?

Barry has to listen to his attorneys? He's being told what he should and shouldn't wear, what he can and can't say, who he can and can't talk to?

That's DELICIOUS.

JMO

The AA paints a picture of a man who is not well spoken, does not think on a high level,
RSBM
Speaking of thinking on a high level...Barry asked, "So what's this guy's relationship with his wife?"
Barry could have asked...is she from our hometown, how long have they been married, does she work, do they have children? Does she know Suzanne?

But instead He asked if the lover's wife was ugly, Barry is quite the the jewel!

And because the defense are two, very, very, smart lawyers, they waited for Judge Murphy to recuse himself in a separate matter, and pounced, -- using his own actions in support of their motion!
I agree E&N are smart lawyers, but sometimes intelligence doesn't translate to wisdom - especially if you have a client whose expectation is always that he wants aggressive action and maximum publicity.

BM may have convinced himself that removing Judge M is a win for him.

The case against him is compelling. His attorneys likely have advised him that it's important to suppress as much of the evidence as possible, so the jury never sees or hears it. Judge M signed off on all the search warrants, and to BM it must seem unlikely that Judge M will suppress any evidence produced by those searches. So, he's willing to take his chances with another judge.

BM may also see motions granted as a form of scoring, as if the process was a game, and value this for that reason. But criminal cases aren't decided that way, and the general public doesn't listen to the arcane issues involved in ethics. The PR effect of the artificial drama is likely to be much less than BM hoped.

But the judge that replaces Murphy is not likely to be an overworked and inexperienced local judge who has never presided in a murder trial. The Chief Justice will appoint a retired judge who has plenty of time to get up to speed, who knows the applicable law even better than Murphy, and who has seen it all before, including the flashy tactics of defense counsel that so impress clients like BM. In the end, after all the song and dance, the compelling evidence will come in and defense counsel will have less latitude at trial than Judge Murphy would have allowed.

In the end, the smart defense attorneys will have outsmarted themselves, with the active assistance of their vainglorious, atavistic client - who has consistently mistaken the PR show for the case results.

Wait. What?

Barry has to listen to his attorneys? He's being told what he should and shouldn't wear, what he can and can't say, who he can and can't talk to?

That's DELICIOUS.

JMO
I hear what you’re saying. It IS quite ironic that he is now being controlled after he tried to control SM her whole life with him.

It’s said that he has been spoiled, coddled and protected by his Mother and sisters his whole life.

Sadly, I don’t think he has a problem with all of the women in his current life ( mom, sisters, daughters and lawyers) telling him how to act now. They are all helping him portray an image. A fake image.
We know from Suzanne’s own words that IMAGE is what has always mattered to him. That’s why he could not stand to have her tell her friends that they did NOT have a perfect marriage and why he said that Divorce would never happen.
I hope he’s miserable in knowing that his own words and actions have exposed his fake image of God fearing, loving husband and Father.
JMO

True but only IF they truly just found out about the 360 pieces of data before Thursday as claimed. If they knew longer I agree but they are smart enough to see that strategy right away on the part of the prosecution so I tend to believe they didn't know until Thursday and got that motion written and submitted on Monday.
^^bbm
I'm confused with OP's statement that the defense didn't know about the 360 pieces of discovery until Thursday?? Which Thursday and/or date is OP alleging here? Thanks.

While page 6 of Defense Motion DD-55 cites: In one discovery dump alone, the prosecution listed at least 362 rows of documents identifying items related to Ms. Darke, there's no reference to the date of the discovery dump.

May 09, 14:43 – Barry’s phone and F-350, per telematics, arrive at the Morphew residence. – Find Suzanne Morphew

I'm not sure where they are at the moment. My graphics based on where the trailer was dropped. He pulled up to the house with the Bobcat on the trailer, he could not have pulled into the garage.
View attachment 326587
Screencap CBS Denver
BBM above. I respectfully disagree. I was just looking at the telematics data on page 128 of the AA, and the last entry states that the truck moved 96.8 feet from the garage to the driveway. So that is the 2nd reference in the AA that refers to the truck being in the garage. I think he pulled the truck into the garage with the trailer sticking out into the driveway. Yes, it's totally bizarre and why the heck would he do that?
upload_2021-12-15_19-2-58.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member