Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^rsbm

Judge Murphy made his feelings known from day one regarding the unprecedented length and depth of the AA but it was not his place to redact the instrument for the arrest warrant presented for his signature.

In response to the Judge's comments/concerns about the unusual AA, the prosecution made note that the AA is not governed by the rules of evidence. And this AA will never be seen by the jurors.

Although the Court initially redacted the AA for privacy, any redaction prior to public release was the ultimate responsibility of the prosecutor and the defense. Instead of using the venue provided to redact the AA prior to public release, BM's defense proffered their own draft and/or version of the AA for release -- which the court promptly rejected! (IMO, this request by the defense was as brazen as the author of the original AA).

In conclusion, I trust this exercise will be a lesson to the next office that even thinks about writing an AA outside of the standard.

Personally, I'm not sure if the AA presented here was the version intended for the court. I've wondered if the investigators/authors of the AA presented the 129+ page document to the DA's office expecting that the document would be noted and returned for edit consideration. It seems to me that there's at least one more draft of the AA that exists. MOO
I disagree that Judge M had no responsibility to make redactions. The advocates take their positions (no surprise that the defense's was that all the significant evidence should not be released), but he is the final arbiter of what information is to be made public, and he has the ultimate responsibility to assure the defendant gets a fair trial. IMO, he failed in that responsibility. Some of us may be willing to let him off the hook, but I am not sure Chaffee County voters will. We'll get an answer soon: he is up for his second retention election this fall.

I agree that the DA has responsibility too, and that there are lessons to be learned - if the citizens hold their public officials accountable.

BBM
I have to ask.. Who keeps their out-of-service cameras in their safe? Why?? It must be a pretty big safe. Were the cameras so expensive that he was afraid they might get stolen in a possible break-in?

A quick google on the Costco website shows that you can get a pretty nice home security set up for less than 1k. Cabelas has trail cams for even less. (Me? I have one small $35 Blink camera set up to see where the vermin come in.)

Or was Barry afraid that someone just might try to view whatever was captured on the cameras? And who keeps a users manual for a home security system in a bathroom drawer? Apologies for the rhetorical and random questions.

Proper Trail cameras are quite expensive. He might have had crappy ones.

The standout to me from the body cam footage of BM being taken in the house is LE asking HIM to collect a bag for SM’s scent article. Most dog handlers prefer to collect them themselves in the presence of the call out agency/dept. They usually come prepared with their own collection bags. I don’t believe this will matter at all in this case but it’s a training clip “don’t” examples for others. IMO

I also don’t think BM hid evidence or anything in that drawer right in front of LE. IMO
The video is a prime example of how BM was not curtailed by LE with strict instructions to enter and exit the house, under guard, -- as the defense countered to explain BM's lack of emotion, inquiry, or natural curiosity under the circumstances.

Please, would someone be so kind as to post a link to the bodycam videos that were released? I watched what was on Marc Salinger's Twitter, but it seems like some of those are edited and missing footage y'all are discussing. Thanks in advance.

Now I'm really thinking..

Friday night she went to meet him at the 105 site, but they didn't actually meet there they met at the tailwinds site. They took her range rover to the store and moonlight pizza.

Did he take his truck home that night? Did they drive home in her range rover? Could be why his truck didn't register any activity until 10:05 the following day. Maybe?? Did he have access to a different car that he drove to work or did someone take him to work Saturday? I don't think he would leave his precious bobcat alone, but maybe. Just trying to think of different reasons why the truck data would be missing. This video here says they met at Tailwinds, went to the store and then to pizza. What store? Could that be when he went into the spa store? The chemicals were found in her car so maybe they bought them then?
In reporter LS video, she says BM & SM went to Safeway grocery store and Moonlight Pizza on Friday. I doubt Safeway would have pool chemicals but I suppose it's possible.

They drove in separate vehicles after the pizza pickup. From page 34/129:
upload_2022-2-3_14-49-38.png
So it looks like he was headed home before her in his vehicle. But, of course, that doesn't mean he stayed there.

Also, I don't think that LE believe he was staying at the house Wednesday or Friday night.
Page 117/129:
upload_2022-2-3_14-55-4.png

Please, would someone be so kind as to post a link to the bodycam videos that were released? I watched what was on Marc Salinger's Twitter, but it seems like some of those are edited and missing footage y'all are discussing. Thanks in advance.
Here's the link to News9 Youtube channel w/first release at 17 minutes.

2/1/2022 -- RAW: Body camera footage shows first moments after Suzanne Morphew reported missing

An Accomplice (?)

MOO IMO

**Sorry for the long post! Pure speculation for consideration so please skip the read if you’re not feeling it or if this has been discussed in length here before**

I’ve been wondering…if we were to insert a BM accomplice into the timeline, especially during Fri 5/8 - Sun 5/10, would some of BM’s puzzling actions that MD weekend make more sense?

The obvious focus has been on BM (and he being a True Crime junkie plus a dose of universal common sense, makes it certain he knew it would be the minute LE got involved). What if during this timeframe he had a partner helping him carry out SM’s disappearance in order to minimize BM’s involvement by staging and deflecting direct incriminating actions?

I have a hard time giving BM any credit for accomplishing the disappearance (and planning) of his wife ALL BY HIMSELF just based on the profile his family, friends, acquaintances, former coworkers and LE have painted. IMO, It would be nearly improbable for his personality type to conjur up such an elaborate scheme without having the guidance, assistance or encouragement of someone he felt he could trust and who would validate his methodology along the process. You know, his +1 for checks and balances.

I just can’t see a BM-type suddenly going solo on such a mission, keeping all the details to himself and especially not boasting about it afterwards. I feel he would have to bounce off his ideas, approach and tactics with SOMEONE in order to feel emboldened and justified to see it through. Especially considering he puts a lot of weight on appearances and opinions from others and how they perceive him. He requires social praise.

It seems by all accounts that not only does he not ever seem to spend time alone because he is always in motion, sociable and scurried, but he always has someone by his side or assisting him in his bidding. I have a brother who admittedly is this way and prefers not to be alone. He has to always have someone with him for the companionship at minimum or he feels unleashed and anxious. BM reminds me of him in that way.

So if we hypothetically insert an accomplice that was lurking, running errands and assisting BM, could it better explain some of the following areas in this saga:

*The many events (closing and opening of doors for example) recorded by Telematics on BM’s truck - (an indicator that his accomplice was with him at the house that Sat afternoon into Sun morning)

*Communicating with burner phones - (It seems likely BM had one)

*Transporting SM in another (accomplice’s) vehicle

*Texting back and fourth on behalf of SM to setup a confusing narrative

*Possible staging of home and SM’s RR

*The disposal of evidence not taken or dumped in Broomfield - (an accomplice could have gotten rid of the missing towel, coolers, diary, phone, etc)

*The footprint on the Bobcat

*The DNA in the car

*The sound of machinery late at night at the river

*MG hearing BM’s truck outside her apartment

*The missing $70k according to BM- (possible payment to the accomplice)

Other factors that have me considering an accomplice:

*Immunity - BM asking about immunity not only points to guilt of a nefarious action but it tells me he has a story to tell about SOMEONE ELSE that is involved besides himself. Immunity is typically given in exchange for information on someone else, is it not?

*Broomfield cameras - BM KNEW he was being recorded once he got to the HIE. He had to have known all the other cameras within the city would be capturing his movements too. IMO, he put on a purposeful display of making trash runs, especially at the HIE. He was completely out in the open and even brazingly put some on a curb and took his time to dispose of it; toyed with it. Almost seems like he wanted to be on camera. He certainly wasn’t hiding his attempts of dumping trash. IMO this part of his plan was to inflict confusion and deflection away from what his accomplice may have been doing that morning on his behalf. He wanted the focus to be on him and was prepared (rehearsed) to explain it all when questioned.

*His many interviews with LE and no attorney - (again, if he didn’t do ALL of the dirty work, his arrogance gave him the confidence to answer LE questions without feeling he would be found guilty of any wrongdoing that could be explained away)

As for who could have served the role of accomplice? Well, let’s look at some of the known players that were within proximity of PP on 5/9 & 5/10 and were seemingly loyal or supportive of BM at the time, but are now detached, out of state or have a cloud of suspicion over them:

-MG

-TN

-GD

-CC

-SD (assuming they knew each other then)

-SD ex-fiance

I also feel that his accomplice may have been at the house by 2:11pm on 5/9. IIRC, SM didn’t respond to anyone after this time. Her last message to JL at that time was she was on WhatsApp, but I don’t know if it’s known if they communicated there. Some have mentioned she could have been sending nudes to JL on WA after this time or that she got into the shower after sunbathing.

BM doesn’t arrive home until another 30 minutes or so and is not getting a response from SM between 2:11pm and his arrival to PP. I wonder if an accomplice could have been in the house at that time and started to incapacitate/restrain SM somehow before BM got there to finish or continue the plan.

I know this theory doesn’t account for or fit into all actions and instances that MD weekend. The actual facts in this case likely will poke many holes in it, but it’s a consideration I’ve been pondering that I would love to hear the feedback on by all the sluethers here that may find some stock in it.

MOO IMO
I'm already on record that he might not have acted alone. I'm been there since the affidavit was released. The holes in the story from May 9-10 make it difficult for me to consider only Barry and I've said I don't believe he chased her around with a dart gun. But the trial is about Barry and that is what prosecution need to prove and a jury to believe so unless someone gives it up....the trial is what the trial will be. I don't think it is anyone on your "list" however. I will have to wait for the trial to try and "guess" what might happen with a jury. I won't bet yet.

I disagree that Judge M had no responsibility to make redactions. The advocates take their positions (no surprise that the defense's was that all the significant evidence should not be released), but he is the final arbiter of what information is to be made public, and he has the ultimate responsibility to assure the defendant gets a fair trial. IMO, he failed in that responsibility. Some of us may be willing to let him off the hook, but I am not sure Chaffee County voters will. We'll get an answer soon: he is up for his second retention election this fall.

I agree that the DA has responsibility too, and that there are lessons to be learned - if the citizens hold their public officials accountable.

I dunno ... BM's case is unique to any jurisdiction-- let alone a small county such as Chaffee Colorado.

Judge Murphy, a Colorado Native and resident of Salida since 1995 is probably not going to be voted out of office over BM's case! I think his constituents, 30% his Salida neighbors, view things much differently than say a metro area with more choices. And I think the same holds true for Sheriff Spezze. JMO

Colorado Judicial Branch - Bio

ETA: Colorado District Judges are appointed, and retained by yes/no majority vote.

Last edited:
The standout to me from the body cam footage of BM being taken in the house is LE asking HIM to collect a bag for SM’s scent article. Most dog handlers prefer to collect them themselves in the presence of the call out agency/dept. They usually come prepared with their own collection bags. I don’t believe this will matter at all in this case but it’s a training clip “don’t” examples for others. IMO

I also don’t think BM hid evidence or anything in that drawer right in front of LE. IMO
I don't think he hid anything in the drawer either...active minds at work....he almost always has his hand or both hands in his pockets when standing, walking etc....less so when he's wearing a sport coat I did notice.

Barry's Top Priority 1: Hiding the body where it would not be discovered. That's his goal. He held ample opps to murder by having Suzanne isolated in a quaint, naive town protected by mountains and that quaint historical railroad

Barry's Primary Motive: Money, Freedom

Barry had to avoid stout odors and strong foul odors that attracted turkey vultures.

Barry, as much as possible, had to avoid cadaverine. I agree the hot tub could serve this purpose and explains the photo in the PH of his swim trunks.

Caderine is on the Bobcat, according to 3 necro bloodhounds. For AM searches, the dogs really showed out and alerted on several areas. It's the reason the concrete foundation at the beach site was dug up and inspected by CS Forensics.

Barry must dump a camo jacket and work boots for a reason and a purpose. I do believe he used the tree that came out of the plant container to mark her position that he tossed later at the HIE.

Stop reading here if you are sensitive to gruesome subjects. This is a possibility for the burial.

How long does it take to dissolve a human body?

**Fair Warning ** Sensitive Subject Follows**

If this plan was used, what type of container would one select for the corpse and the chemicals? I thought an old oil drum with a lid. Preparing a hole somewhere large enough for the oil drum is not a big deal in a heavy forested area, especially, if it's covered with a nice [Aspen?] sapling from the black tree container Barry chucked. Pile some boulders around the tree along with long pine needles. A sturdy oil drum will keep the topsoil from forming a dip. I have officially made myself feel physically ill.

moo this evening
Remember-there were large black barrels in the garage photos really early on.
I speculated that they held road salt at the time.

I, like you, also find it interesting how agitated BM was initially, pacing around when he realized nobody was buying his malarkey. And again, when AM showed up with an army of searchers getting a bit too close to his and the surrounding properties. I think after the initial searches close to PP he felt confident that he had dodged the bullet. His spread eagle performance may have been the emotional release of that belief.

I have always felt that Suzanne is somewhere close to home, I just don’t know HOW close. BM had convinced himself that he could fool everyone with his bike, lion, in the river, abduction scenarios. When that didn’t take, and they locked down the house and vehicles, I think he began to perspire some. Reality began to sink in. Suzanne is “gone” and people are staring right at him and searching close to home. I do believe his hubris allowed him to “plant” SM close to home as he was absolutely certain everyone would believe his stories (at least one of them) and shower sympathy on “poor” Barry. I tend to believe they were cash poor and asset rich, assets he was not willing to share with Suzanne. Well, Barry’s not cash poor anymore after selling all their assets. Oh, but wait, his plan didn’t work! IE and DN are going to make him poor again and there are no more assets to sell, except perhaps his beloved CAT, Bob. No sympathy here. He deserves to be poor, and locked up.

Oh Barry……

Wonder if she was placed close to home so if found, it would give the impression an abductor quickly disposed of her, whereas her being placed toward Broomfield implicates him in a greater way.
Is closer to home less risky, too?
Less points on the journey to be traced...

Before BM showed up at the bike site at 8:42 he had been informed by CCSO Dispatch about the bike being found.
His only question was “ Did you find the phone?”

Not “ is she okay? “
Not HER phone, THE phone.

Attachments

• FC9905C6-A247-4B51-8271-F2F30B8255B8.jpeg
    FC9905C6-A247-4B51-8271-F2F30B8255B8.jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 64A5B919-E48B-4F85-883C-BBD4358E6F7A.jpeg
    64A5B919-E48B-4F85-883C-BBD4358E6F7A.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 10592E84-BEBB-46BD-AAF1-257235CD4C0C.jpeg
    10592E84-BEBB-46BD-AAF1-257235CD4C0C.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 29
I dunno ... BM's case is unique to any jurisdiction-- let alone a small county such as Chaffee Colorado.

Judge Murphy, a Colorado Native and resident of Salida since 1995 is probably not going to be voted out of office over BM's case! I think his constituents, 30% his Salida neighbors, view things much differently than say a metro area with more choices. And I think the same holds true for Sheriff Spezze. JMO

Colorado Judicial Branch - Bio
You may be right - the overwhelming majority of judges are retained each year. The Judicial Commission's evaluation seems crucial, and it considers (appropriately) multiple factors and inputs, not merely the handling of one case.

We lived in rural Colorado for a while, although not in the south central region. Among the community members I know, taking the decision away from the local community in a murder case would draw severe scrutiny and much criticism. Salida might be a more liberal community with a more relaxed attitude. But if so, I fear that there will be no incentive to learn and apply the lessons to be learned from the cascade of bad decisions that led to the change of venue.

Can anyone tell what object Barry has in his left hand in the video when entering the house and subsequently? He doesn't appear to have anything in either hand in the initial video taken on his arrival and when waving his hands around outside of the truck. Just curious.

Can anyone tell what object Barry has in his left hand in the video when entering the house and subsequently? He doesn't appear to have anything in either hand in the initial video taken on his arrival and when waving his hands around outside of the truck. Just curious.
To me it looks like his phone and perhaps a car charger for the phone? Or a cable to sync his phone to the truck speakers?
I don’t know if they had told him that his truck was being seized or not at this point. If they had, I can see him grabbing the charger.
jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member