Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #110

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysti88c

Reaction score
A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned
Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride

List of Case Players and Their Relationship to Discussion (Post #440)

————————————-
MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*
Detailed timeline of events in the Morphew case:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA, MAPS &TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Arrest Affidavit
—————————————
Suzanne Morphew Case Archive (developed and maintained by WS member AmandaReckonwith)
—————————————
Hearing Notes (Compliments of @NoSI)
Preliminary:
Day 1

————————————-
Suzanne Morphew FB page
Suzanne Morphew Twitter page

Verified Experts/Professionals/Insiders posting in this thread:

10ofRods is a Verified Anthropologist
Angleterre is a Verified LE from England
riolove77 is a Verified Attorney (prosecutor)
Alethea is a Verified Attorney (defense)
otto is a Verified Expert
Chomsky is a Verified Attorney
angelainwi is a Certified Trauma Counselor
gitana1 is a Verified Attorney
Cassidy is a Verified Attorney
lamlawindy is a Verified Attorney (former Prosecutor, now Defence)
NatureLover (Verified friend of the Moorman family)

Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79 Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87 Thread #88 Thread #89 Thread #90 Thread #91 Thread #92 Thread #93 Thread #94 Thread #95 Thread #96 Thread #97 Thread #98 Thread #99 Thread #100 Thread #101 Thread #102 Thread #103 Thread #104 Thread #105 Thread #106 Thread #107 Thread #108 Thread #109

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a number of comments at the end of the last thread that BM could have gone to Moffat before 10pm.

I do not believe this is not possible due to Truck telematic activity throughout the afternoon

The state believes SM was attacked shortly after 14:44 when Barry arrives home. There is an event with Truck door open. BM then closes the Truck door at 16:44 i.e 2 hours later

The truck is next active at 18:56 and off and on until 21:52 with no big gaps. Then there is no more activity until 03.25 am

So unless he left at 16:44 and returns by 18:56, I think it is much more likely he used the 5 hr + window from 10pm to 3.25am

The reason i don't think he disposes of the victim before 18:56 is the truck and bobcat are parked partly in the garage blocking everything. Also the time is tight - just over 2hrs.

IMO it is much more likely that he reparked the truck and the bobcat first, then left just before 10 in a different vehicle

No doubt LE is trying to or (hopefully) has figured out why Mr. Morphew selected the particular spot south of Moffat to dispose of Suzanne’s body. In the meantime, I’d be interested in the group’s take on a possible explanation for his choice.

I’m assuming:
  • The location was not pre-planned.
  • Mr. Morphew acted alone.
  • Mr. Morphew left to dispose of the body after 21:52, based on activity in his truck at the residence (telematics).
  • Mr. Morphew knew the region well enough to head for the least populated area with good access.
  • He would want it to be a fair distance from his stomping grounds.
Heading south, away from the route he would be taking to his jobsite the next day, makes some sense, given that Saguache County is close and has only 6600 residents spread over more than 3000 square miles. But why the exact spot south of Moffat, when there are many, many, closer places (still 20-30 miles south of their home) that have a similar setting to the burial site (near the highway where a road turns off, in sagebrush).

Perhaps, he picked the site because of concerns about people nearby based on visible lighting. I took a cursory look at the stretch of Route 17 north of Moffat and, sparsely populated as it is, there are ranches/residences/buildings within a half mile of all the turnoff roads. Not until you get near the burial site south of Moffat does there appear to be a turnoff road (County Road R) where there are no buildings within a half mile. So, I’m wondering if, using lights as his criteria for nearby people, he kept driving until he felt there was no one around to potentially observe him.

No doubt LE is trying to or (hopefully) has figured out why Mr. Morphew selected the particular spot south of Moffat to dispose of Suzanne’s body. In the meantime, I’d be interested in the group’s take on a possible explanation for his choice.

I’m assuming:
  • Mr. Morphew left to dispose of the body after 21:52, based on activity in his truck at the residence (telematics).
  • Mr. Morphew knew the region well enough to head for the least populated area with good access.
Heading south, away from the route he would be taking to his jobsite the next day, makes some sense, given that Saguache County is close and has only 6600 residents spread over more than 3000 square miles. But why the exact spot south of Moffat, when there are many, many, closer places (still 20-30 miles south of their home) that have a similar setting to the burial site (near the highway where a road turns off, in sagebrush).

Perhaps, he picked the site because of concerns about people nearby based on visible lighting. I took a cursory look at the stretch of Route 17 north of Moffat and, sparsely populated as it is, there are ranches/residences/buildings within a half mile of all the turnoff roads. Not until you get near the burial site south of Moffat does there appear to be a turnoff road (County Road R) where there are no buildings within a half mile. So, I’m wondering if, using lights as his criteria for nearby people, he kept driving until he felt there was no one around to potentially observe him.
I think he switched vehicles, I think he intended to bury her at the beach site but was interrupted and then opted for south, as far from Broomfield as he could get. I think he got there by back roads, had very little time to dig because he needed to return the vehicle he was in and get back to PP before sun up. Good half hour to switch vehicles, solid half hour at the beach site before he was discovered, leaving him barely three hours to get outside of town, not a minute to spare.

If the neighbor hasn't turned her porch light on, I think Suzanne would've been buried there... and good reason why LE spent so much time there.

JMO

In the prior thread, I commented on my frustration with how IE very early adopted a spiel on DNA evidence collected from SM's vehicle was from a sex offender that was never investigated by LE because they had their focus on BM, and for three years, has continued to promote this misinformation at every opportunity.

Reviewing tweets from the three-day preliminary hearing, I was reminded that the defense called only one witness -- Joseph Cahill. For whatever reason, Cahill agreed to talk to IE the night before the hearing, and IMO, essentially threw his testimony that continues to enable IE today.

Now that SM's been recovered, sparking new interest in the case, if only Court TV, etc. would invite hosts reminded of how IE adopted her DNA soundbite, instead of repeating it!

In the prior thread, I commented on my frustration with how IE very early adopted a spiel on DNA evidence collected from SM's vehicle was from a sex offender that was never investigated by LE because they had their focus on BM, and for three years, has continued to promote this misinformation at every opportunity.

Reviewing tweets from the three-day preliminary hearing, I was reminded that the defense called only one witness -- Joseph Cahill. For whatever reason, Cahill agreed to talk to IE the night before the hearing, and IMO, essentially threw his testimony that continues to enable IE today.

Now that SM's been recovered, sparking new interest in the case, if only Court TV, etc. would invite hosts reminded of how IE adopted her DNA soundbite, instead of repeating it!
Maybe we should give them a call and suggest a few names! It does make me angry that only IE’s twisted, non-relevant opinion on the DNA is getting airtime. I’d like them to get a DNA expert in there to debunk her nonsense.

I’m assuming:

I'll try and give my best speculations, based more on what I know about men like Barry Morphew than on any real knowledge of his inner workings.

1. Pre-planning. Men of this type think a lot about how to dispose of things. People, included. They fantasize a lot about opportunities for making money in gray areas, having relationships that are not completely honest and transparent, and when they get angry at their "beloved wife," they think about killing her. The fantasy becomes ego syntonic, meaning that it does not revolt them. So, when they are out driving around (such as to the cheap dumping spot that is Saguache Landfill), they think about other things, such as where to place a body if they actually do lose it and kill someone.

2. I agree. He acted alone. However, he may have pressed at least one other person into some service during the 48 hours after Suzanne's death. He also knew he could rely on a whole lot of people in his community to support him, believe in him and trust him. He had carefully cultivate the Charming Handsome Nice New Guy image.

3. Agreed - @mrjitty and you have convinced me. The truck was blocking the driveway.

4. Yes, and he had been over there to hunt on BLM land (the type of land where Suzanne was found), as well as to hunt on GD's property right nearby, as well as to visit the landfill. This is of course speculation, but I agree and I think he thought long and hard about the Monarch Pass area vs. Saguache area and realized that crossing into that (almost unpopulated) jurisdiction would buy him the most time. He then carefully led searchers to look near the home (bike staging; mountain lion sighting).

5. Literally "in the middle of nowhere." People look last in those places. For one thing, a random kidnapper (unless they are from Saguache County) is unlikely to put a body in the place where Suzanne was found, so even if the search had expanded, it would not have moved to the BLM land in Saguache County. He also knew which scavengers haunted those lands and got the desired outcome with the shallow grave (it was scavenged and Suzanne's remains were scattered). His one worry had to have been that someone, out in that isolated land, would notice carrion birds. But, there is probably not a day that passes, at that time of year, where such birds are not seen out there. I'm about to go on a walk in my own suburban (but with open space) neighborhood and I will likely see one or two (which usually means small rodent). Yesterday, I saw them not far from the road (we have had a raccoon explosion and they are getting hit by cars, then scavenged). SO, Barry was able to be cold enough to factor in the probabilities.

In short, at some point (possibly well in advance of Mother's Day), Barry decided to stage a crime such that searchers would look close to Puma Path and maybe up toward Monarch Pass, so he left clues in that direction. I think he had repeatedly thought about what he'd do if he found 1) clear evidence of Suzanne's ongoing affair and 2) if he killed her. He probably had a few other places in mind for her burial, and certainly hurried himself once he was out near Moffat.

It worked pretty well. 3.5 years destroys a lot of forensic evidence.

IMO.

I'll try and give my best speculations, based more on what I know about men like Barry Morphew than on any real knowledge of his inner workings.

1. Pre-planning. Men of this type think a lot about how to dispose of things. People, included. They fantasize a lot about opportunities for making money in gray areas, having relationships that are not completely honest and transparent, and when they get angry at their "beloved wife," they think about killing her. The fantasy becomes ego syntonic, meaning that it does not revolt them. So, when they are out driving around (such as to the cheap dumping spot that is Saguache Landfill), they think about other things, such as where to place a body if they actually do lose it and kill someone.

2. I agree. He acted alone. However, he may have pressed at least one other person into some service during the 48 hours after Suzanne's death. He also knew he could rely on a whole lot of people in his community to support him, believe in him and trust him. He had carefully cultivate the Charming Handsome Nice New Guy image.

3. Agreed - @mrjitty and you have convinced me. The truck was blocking the driveway.

4. Yes, and he had been over there to hunt on BLM land (the type of land where Suzanne was found), as well as to hunt on GD's property right nearby, as well as to visit the landfill. This is of course speculation, but I agree and I think he thought long and hard about the Monarch Pass area vs. Saguache area and realized that crossing into that (almost unpopulated) jurisdiction would buy him the most time. He then carefully led searchers to look near the home (bike staging; mountain lion sighting).

5. Literally "in the middle of nowhere." People look last in those places. For one thing, a random kidnapper (unless they are from Saguache County) is unlikely to put a body in the place where Suzanne was found, so even if the search had expanded, it would not have moved to the BLM land in Saguache County. He also knew which scavengers haunted those lands and got the desired outcome with the shallow grave (it was scavenged and Suzanne's remains were scattered). His one worry had to have been that someone, out in that isolated land, would notice carrion birds. But, there is probably not a day that passes, at that time of year, where such birds are not seen out there. I'm about to go on a walk in my own suburban (but with open space) neighborhood and I will likely see one or two (which usually means small rodent). Yesterday, I saw them not far from the road (we have had a raccoon explosion and they are getting hit by cars, then scavenged). SO, Barry was able to be cold enough to factor in the probabilities.

In short, at some point (possibly well in advance of Mother's Day), Barry decided to stage a crime such that searchers would look close to Puma Path and maybe up toward Monarch Pass, so he left clues in that direction. I think he had repeatedly thought about what he'd do if he found 1) clear evidence of Suzanne's ongoing affair and 2) if he killed her. He probably had a few other places in mind for her burial, and certainly hurried himself once he was out near Moffat.

It worked pretty well. 3.5 years destroys a lot of forensic evidence.

IMO.
I can agree but I hope not that much evidence was destroyed. We know he killed her. LE knows he killed her. BM knows he killed her. We have to pray he will soon be behind bars for murder very soon.

I wonder if Court TV realizes how many cases they may be messing with by promoting this fake DNA claim. Makes me lose all interest in television crime shows. Bring on the DNA experts! And Court TV SHOULD BE above reproach. Sad.

ETA: For clarification, the guest hosts/commenters I referred to repeating the DNA misinformation are not DNA experts but legal analysts and reporters (with "exclusive" story ties to IE.

The deer, elk, turkeys and chipmunks couldn’t dig up SM’s remains, but their animal kingdom friends did it for them. Sweet revenge. Sweet will be the justice for Suzanne. What was done in the dark, has been exposed by the light.

So much for, “I could bury a body and nobody would find it.” Such an ego!

Oh Barry…….each day and night must seem an eternity for you now. Tick,tock.

Here you go from a couple of days ago.

The professor cautions against ignoring the DNA evidence in response to the reporter claiming a source told her its was followed up and person was cleared from being in Colorado at the time. Which if that claim by reporter was true, it seems they may have cleared the person in Colordo, but what about the 3 unsolved rape cases in AZ and IL that the CODIS hit came from?

The deer, elk, turkeys and chipmunks couldn’t dig up SM’s remains, but their animal kingdom friends did it for them. Sweet revenge. Sweet will be the justice for Suzanne. What was done in the dark, has been exposed by the light.

So much for, “I could bury a body and nobody would find it.” Such an ego!

Oh Barry…….each day and night must seem an eternity for you now. Tick,tock.

RBBM

THIS^^^^

JMVHO.

Here you go from a couple of days ago.

The professor cautions against ignoring the DNA evidence in response to the reporter claiming a source told her its was followed up and person was cleared from being in Colorado at the time. Which if that claim by reporter was true, it seems they may have cleared the person in Colordo, but what about the 3 unsolved rape cases in AZ and IL that the CODIS hit came from?
No one should ignore evidence based on a reporter's viewpoint, so that's just kind of a "it will always stick" opening line for a professor.

I no longer think anyone was "cleared" by the Glove Box DNA, because it led to an unknown perp (and it was NOT a hit in CODIS - a "hit" means a "match." Once again, I am compelled to state that it was a PARTIAL match to an UNKNOWN sexual assault perpetrator (a rape kit, IMO). No one was found that matched the Glove Box DNA, at all.

There was no person in Colorado who matched the Glove Box DNA. This isn't anywhere in any of the evidentiary documents or DNA results - but it did get bandied about and I believe the rumor was started by one or more "youtube reporters," and then picked up by some MSM. It was never vrified.

The unsolved rape cases are just that - they are unsolved. The person whose DNA was RELATED to the rapist was not found, nor was the rapist himself found, either.

It's been a dead end all along.

Is there any way you can be more specific about what part of that 42 minute rehash on Court TV is about the DNA? What is the professor a professor of? If I know what they look like or their name, I can fast forward through all the rehash.

Thanks (and no worries if that's not possible). However, there never was a person in CO as far as what as been presented by LE or the State so far. And again, I think the source for that was never verified by any reputable news agency. It is entirely rumor (and supposition).

IMO.

ETA: For clarification, the guest hosts/commenters I referred to repeating the DNA misinformation are not DNA experts but legal analysts and reporters (with "exclusive" story ties to IE.
Fine. We just won’t watch them. I don’t anyway. I just found that irritating that dna experts aren’t on.

No one should ignore evidence based on a reporter's viewpoint, so that's just kind of a "it will always stick" opening line for a professor.

I no longer think anyone was "cleared" by the Glove Box DNA, because it led to an unknown perp (and it was NOT a hit in CODIS - a "hit" means a "match." Once again, I am compelled to state that it was a PARTIAL match to an UNKNOWN sexual assault perpetrator (a rape kit, IMO). No one was found that matched the Glove Box DNA, at all.

There was no person in Colorado who matched the Glove Box DNA. This isn't anywhere in any of the evidentiary documents or DNA results - but it did get bandied about and I believe the rumor was started by one or more "youtube reporters," and then picked up by some MSM. It was never vrified.

The unsolved rape cases are just that - they are unsolved. The person whose DNA was RELATED to the rapist was not found, nor was the rapist himself found, either.

It's been a dead end all along.

Is there any way you can be more specific about what part of that 42 minute rehash on Court TV is about the DNA? What is the professor a professor of? If I know what they look like or their name, I can fast forward through all the rehash.

Thanks (and no worries if that's not possible). However, there never was a person in CO as far as what as been presented by LE or the State so far. And again, I think the source for that was never verified by any reputable news agency. It is entirely rumor (and supposition).

IMO.
was it not the Az suspect she said was cleared? afaik starts around 26 minutes.. from memory..

Didn't BM tell others his paternal genetics didn't see him living past retirement age but his family would be taken care of?

His dad died at age 60 but he'd retired at 45 -- after 28 yrs with a manufacturer. No idea if he was infirmed or sickly but 60 is young!

I wonder if BM believed none of this (criminal charges) including SM's recovery would happen in his lifetime....

IMO, a caffeine and dog-free life, and constantly looking over your shoulder, could shorten your life span. JMO

Didn't BM tell others his paternal genetics didn't see him living past retirement age but his family would be taken care of?

His dad died at age 60 but he'd retired at 45 -- after 28 yrs with a manufacturer. No idea if he was infirmed or sickly but 60 is young!

I wonder if BM believed none of this (criminal charges) including SM's recovery would happen in his lifetime....

IMO, a caffeine and dog-free life, and constantly looking over your shoulder, could shorten your life span. JMO

I've been thinking about the dog-freeness over the past few days, how strange you should mention it.
There was no dog ever, was there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member