Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #113

Status
Not open for further replies.
From page 4 of 129 in the Arrest Affidavit:

“In the main floor/foyer area of a storage closet, Deputy Brown observed what appeared to be a reddish/brown substance that was smeared midway on the side of the closet wall.”

This reddish-brown stain was processed by CBI Laboratory and determined not to be blood; however, inquiring minds might like to know if it was related to the tranquilizer chemical, BAM. As we’ve been so kindly informed by Mr. Morphew’s attorney, “farmers and ranchers had it (BAM) and especially in that area. " (Morphew residence)

The video link
perhaps sheds some light on this issue.

At 1:01 of 2:48 on this video there’s a good shot of BAM being injected. I submit that the substance could reasonably be described as being reddish/brown in color (subject to the uncertainties of copy and reproduction).
View attachment 501817
Assuming for just a moment that perhaps the substance observed on the closet wall was BAM, I must ask the burning question: What were all those farmers and ranchers doing in Mr. Morphew’s foyer? (Can’t a man get a little privacy for God’s sake!!)
According to the timer, it took 8 minutes after injection for the deer to give it up. That's rather terrifying to know Suzanne was awake and aware up to 8 minutes after Barry dosed her. Or maybe the narcotic knocked her to sleep sooner than 8 minutes because Barry said she was snoring.

Give Suzanne 8 minutes and what would she do? Run around the exterior of the home. Her bare feet touched the equipment at some point. Did she make it to the bedroom where he busted through the door? Why is there an unspent round on the bdrm floor? Did he strangle her with his very bare hands.

We can only imagine the excruciating horrors Suzanne faced with Barry that last day of her beautiful life. Let the rain fall down.

Possible.
I keep thinking of the band.

Odd if BM's staying at an RV park -- he who liked large expensive houses.
Not sure how much the house Suzanne last lived in was worth, but the photos showed a not-inexpensive dwelling.
Omo.
I am thinking of a 1965 Cadillac Fleetwood. :) And yes, I do love Fleetwood Mac too…… all iterations of it including early.

But this Fleetwood would IMO be a trailer of sorts. Perhaps a smaller pull behind type. I didn’t locate readily any decent pictures of one. It seems BM didn’t have an Airstream? ;) MOO

On this Crested Butte sweatshirt, it appears to have a side pocket.
That photo, undated, is such a snapshot of Suzanne in the moment, whichever moment that was.

On 5/9, at some point, she had her coffee... later dressed in that sweatshirt.... that photo is iconic, that's the word.... it's how I imagine her as Barry was racing toward home....

One day, someone may put that day into an animation. A dot to represent Barry as he slinks around in their backyard for two hours, then goes into town, then returns at speed... meanwhile, a dot for Suzanne, moving from patio to bedroom to laundry room and back to bedroom.... and then no more movement. Her dot frozen in time, as if her spirit is trapped where her body lay... yet Barry's moves on... eerie. Finite. Final.

It hurts my heart to think about that moment when she grabbed her sweatshirt and threw it on. The last thing she'd ever wear. To be found alongside an array of her bones, not even a complete skeleton.

To fight cancer twice, to survive twice, then to die such an inglorious death at the hands of her husband, it's so very wrong.

Barry carried her that one time when she was sick. Probably demanded gratitude for it for years. Only to carry her that second time, lifeless to the grave he dug, that's just putrid.

Made all the worse by his own words which reveal what he thinks of it. Justified, in his mind.

And now, with a body, he'd next of kin for any penny left of account. Not that he was acting in any true fiduciary capacity before now. Her share of real estate, any inheritance monies....

Pathological taker.

JMO

That photo, undated, is such a snapshot of Suzanne in the moment, whichever moment that was.

On 5/9, at some point, she had her coffee... later dressed in that sweatshirt.... that photo is iconic, that's the word.... it's how I imagine her as Barry was racing toward home....

One day, someone may put that day into an animation. A dot to represent Barry as he slinks around in their backyard for two hours, then goes into town, then returns at speed... meanwhile, a dot for Suzanne, moving from patio to bedroom to laundry room and back to bedroom.... and then no more movement. Her dot frozen in time, as if her spirit is trapped where her body lay... yet Barry's moves on... eerie. Finite. Final.

It hurts my heart to think about that moment when she grabbed her sweatshirt and threw it on. The last thing she'd ever wear. To be found alongside an array of her bones, not even a complete skeleton.

To fight cancer twice, to survive twice, then to die such an inglorious death at the hands of her husband, it's so very wrong.

Barry carried her that one time when she was sick. Probably demanded gratitude for it for years. Only to carry her that second time, lifeless to the grave he dug, that's just putrid.

Made all the worse by his own words which reveal what he thinks of it. Justified, in his mind.

And now, with a body, he'd next of kin for any penny left of account. Not that he was acting in any true fiduciary capacity before now. Her share of real estate, any inheritance monies....

Pathological taker.

JMO
Bam! from me just doesn't cut it. You made such an eloquent post....

I am thinking of a 1965 Cadillac Fleetwood. :) And yes, I do love Fleetwood Mac too…… all iterations of it including early.

But this Fleetwood would IMO be a trailer of sorts. Perhaps a smaller pull behind type. I didn’t locate readily any decent pictures of one. It seems BM didn’t have an Airstream? ;) MOO

Linked a couple of threads ago, it's def the "mobile home" version.

I don't think any worries of BM living on the cheap-- from the DM photos, he's still driving a $60K+Ford F-350.

And I think he's probably been diligent in securing a home base for family.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trailer park simply serves for a state business license address for the mobile, 'Bobcat earth mover, will travel' Barry. MOO

I think there was a to-do list somewhere in the house, unburned by Barry. M1’s sheets were on the list. I do wonder if she might have been attacked in that room, dressed in the clothes she was found in. Laid out on M1’s bed while Barry went about the house grabbing phones and journals and paperwork and deciding his next step. I am not married to the broken master bedroom doorframe as being part of what happened. I’ve seen wood split on its own in log homes so I’ll reserve judgement. I’d sure like to know how the bullet ended up on the bedroom floor, and if it was the same caliber as the one found with Suzanne.

Suzanne Morphew's autopsy reveals bullet was discovered with skeletal remains - along with fragments of her hoodie seen in unearthed photo of her cooking with Barry's mom. - May 7, 2024

-snip

Also included was Suzanne's friend Holly Wilson who made a lengthy speech, despite providing cops with damning evidence during their investigation into the cancer survivor's murder.

Wilson told police that she had had a conversation with Barry during which he accused her of having sex with another man, telling her: 'If I find him, I will shoot off his balls and shove them down his throat.'

She also told investigators she did know of the affair Suzanne was having with married dad-of-six Jeff Libler and said Suzanne had confided in her that she wanted to marry her Michigan-based former high school sweetheart but intended to wait for her daughters to leave home before getting a divorce.

~snip

PICTURED: Suzanne Morphew in gray hoodie she was wearing when murdered

Last edited:
Reportedly, any criminal charges for the murder of SM will be prosecuted in the 12th Judicial District (where SM's remains were recovered).

As an FYI, last Friday, special prosecutor Fred Johnson with the Boulder County DA’s office, just wrapped up the prosecution and sentencing of four codefendants in Alamosa. The defendants were each convicted of murdering 5 individuals killed in a period of less than 30 days.

If the name of the special prosecutor sounds familiar, in 2017, Johnson was also responsible for securing a La Plata County grand jury indictment for 2nd degree murder, and child abuse, against Mark Redwine.

Johnson handled the overall investigation, and the presentation to the grand jury, and also served as lead trial counsel-- resulting in Redwine's conviction. Boulder County DA's Office helps secure grand jury indictment.

In other words, I think it very convenient that a special prosecutor from the Boulder DA's office with Colorado grand jury experience was already sitting in the 12th Judicial District-- right during the time they may have needed one! (IMO, a secret grand jury was convened not long after SM's remains recovered).

And it probably doesn't hurt that Anne Kelly, the new DA for the 12th Judicial District, also hails from the Boulder DA's office. MOO

Suzanne Morphew's autopsy reveals bullet was discovered with skeletal remains - along with fragments of her hoodie seen in unearthed photo of her cooking with Barry's mom. - May 7, 2024

-snip

Also included was Suzanne's friend Holly Wilson who made a lengthy speech, despite providing cops with damning evidence during their investigation into the cancer survivor's murder.

Wilson told police that she had had a conversation with Barry during which he accused her of having sex with another man, telling her: 'If I find him, I will shoot off his balls and shove them down his throat.'

She also told investigators she did know of the affair Suzanne was having with married dad-of-six Jeff Libler and said Suzanne had confided in her that she wanted to marry her Michigan-based former high school sweetheart but intended to wait for her daughters to leave home before getting a divorce.

~snip

Oh man, send that DM social media photo hacker a cake! :cool:

Last edited:
^^rsbm

Hmmm... I'm reserving judgment on this allegation by DM that SM confided in HW about JL.

We know that HW was working with investigators early and was recording her conversations with BM so I don't think she would have withheld information about JL from the FBI. JMO

-snip

~snip

Aslo from the article
'An autopsy report obtained by DailyMail.com reveals the murdered mom's remains were found with the loungewear, "
Loungewear - NOT biking clothes - even the DM knowswhats up IE !
Wondering about the other info from the article that indicates that SM told Holly of the affair - that seems news to me ? I kinda remember iirc IE in court saying how Suzanne kept secrets and did not tell anyone about the affair - but then again I should consider the source perhaps ? Anyone remember ?
"She also told investigators she did know of the affair Suzanne was having with married dad-of-six Jeff Libler and said Suzanne had confided in her that she wanted to marry her Michigan-based former high school sweetheart but intended to wait for her daughters to leave home before getting a divorce."

IMO

-snip

~snip

I just did the same-“wait, what??” in regard to Suzanne confiding in Holly about the affair. Was that a DM add-in? I’m not buying it.

Colorado mainly charges criminal offenders by Information and Complaint, and seldom employs a grand jury. Generally, a grand jury indictment replaces the preliminary hearing.

@Cindizzi -- do you recall if Mark Redwine also had a preliminary hearing following his 2017 grand jury indicted?

These Covid era trials really messed with me, and if anybody remembers-- we know it will be you, rock star of the memory and case archives! xx :cool:

I just did the same-“wait, what??” in regard to Suzanne confiding in Holly about the affair. Was that a DM add-in? I’m not buying it.
Thanks @DizzyB. I too found this one to be an immediate head scratcher! I recall the FBI playing the spy pen for individuals close to SM trying to identify the source and it was crickets. I also don't think it would have taken 7 months to ID JL if HW had his name and location as cited in the latest DM story. JMO

Reading this line had me thinking..

Did he drive as far as he could or did he have this spot in mind? What factors determined where he stopped?

It seems he could have went further because he had more time.. he could have taken a bit longer.. did he have limited gas in his vehicle of choice? He couldn't stop for gas because he was "home sleeping" so maybe his dump location was decided by how much gas was in the vehicle. I know if he opted to use his daughters RR that could have been a concern. I know I tend to let things get to below half and well even lower (I have even had some times where the gas light comes on before I then HAVE to stop and get gas :oops: ) where as my husband is one that doesn't like to get below half ever. lol So maybe he was limited to how much gas he had to get out and back without needing to get gas. Maybe he was limited by fearing daylight would come before he could get back home, or maybe he just had this spot in mind. Looking up Colorado sunrise times for May and 5:45am* would be ballpark for that time. So he could have went a bit further to beat the sun.
As a "hunter", quotes deliberate, Bwana Barr had practical experience with the twilight phenomenon.

"For review", quotes deliberate;), you will recall that there are three degrees of twilight which precede every sunrise and follow, in reverse order, every sunset. In sunrise sequence, these occur as "Astronomical", "Nautical", and "CIviI" twilights.
Merriam-Webster describes "civil twilight" as the period after sunset or before sunrise during which on clear days there is enough light for "ordinary outdoor occupations".

If I used the tabulations correctly {timeanddate.com} :rolleyes::
# # #
For Salida this May 20th, Civil Twilight commences @ 5:17am...
with Sunrise thirty minutes later, @ 5:47am*
... which latter time I consider smack-atop the pitcher's mound " @justtrish Stadium ", supra!]​

Colorado mainly charges criminal offenders by Information and Complaint, and seldom employs a grand jury. Generally, a grand jury indictment replaces the preliminary hearing.

@Cindizzi -- do you recall if Mark Redwine also had a preliminary hearing following his 2017 grand jury indicted?

These Covid era trials really messed with me, and if anybody remembers-- we know it will be you, rock star of the memory and case archives! xx :cool:
While we wait for @Cindizzi to sound in, I found this link which lists tons of documents pertaining to Redwine.

I see that there was a request for a preliminary hearing in August of 2017, about a month after the indictment. Not sure what came of the request. (I can't open it.)

Don't know that that answers your question but it seems like a handy compilation in any event.

Really hope they go the grand jury route for Barry this time around.

Last edited:
Aslo from the article
'An autopsy report obtained by DailyMail.com reveals the murdered mom's remains were found with the loungewear, "
Loungewear - NOT biking clothes - even the DM knowswhats up IE !
Wondering about the other info from the article that indicates that SM told Holly of the affair - that seems news to me ? I kinda remember iirc IE in court saying how Suzanne kept secrets and did not tell anyone about the affair - but then again I should consider the source perhaps ? Anyone remember ?
"She also told investigators she did know of the affair Suzanne was having with married dad-of-six Jeff Libler and said Suzanne had confided in her that she wanted to marry her Michigan-based former high school sweetheart but intended to wait for her daughters to leave home before getting a divorce."

IMO
Thanks for this! And just trying to circle back, so her remains were not found in the blue / light blue ‘matchy’ thing right? The one that IIRC BM was trumpeting early to individuals that she was likely wearing on her bike ride when she went missing?

So is it the case that BM was not perhaps telling the truth? ;) MOO

I'm sure Barry’s sporting a tan, highlighted hair and a tight shirt.

I am curious about why they seldom employ the grand jury. I like a grand jury but am interested in knowing why this is the case frequently in Colorado. Can you explain this a little further please? You do suspect that a grand jury met following the remains discovery correct? How do they distinguish between what needs a grand jury or preliminary hearing? Is this part of the reason the initial judge and others balked at the AA rather than a true indictment. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KreepinSavage