Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #113

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really solid points.

IE has been at this before. She knows he's lying. She has the discovery. She's listened to all 3 30 hours and she's likely done some math of her own. She may have erred, like many of us, in overestimating Barry's skillset, or assuming he'd capitalize on it. That Suzanne wasn't going to be findable.

But she also knew what the State didn't have. The missing vehicle. What he did or where he went for those missing hours. Her real energy however is spent saying 'don't listen to him. He's grieving or something. Listen to me. I'm truthy".

She's still trying to get out ahead of it in the court of popular opinion but failing spectacularly.

It's an irony that all this time many of us have been begging the mountains to give up its secrets and yet she was barried in the flattest of places. And there she may have remained if not for the natural activity of animals --

I do not think it was a happy day in the law office, first, when Suzanne's body was found and Where It Was Found and, second, even less happy when the autopsy came back.

State's theory isn't so "out there" suddenly and she's left grasping at coffee and bike clothes that don't look anything like bike clothes.

She must enjoy impossible challenges. And money. And notoriety.

JMO
She does enjoy it, and she is in fact a rock star among defense lawyers.

This is definitely going to be re-charged and the fact that his lawyer is out there talking is proof positive they are worried.

Walk through the case prosecutors now have:

Prosecutors can now prove she is dead, but before her body was found his counsel could easily have raised a reasonable question.

Prosecutors can now prove she died by homicide, but again prior to her autopsy there was a reasonable question.

And Prosecutors can now tie Barry directly to her dead body: Prior to this only his suspicious activity and lies to LE during questioning really tied him to a hypothetical crime. He had motive (failing marriage, jealousy, and financial issues); he had opportunity, he is circumstantially there when proof of life ends between 2:00 and 2:30 but all of that could have been just dumb luck. Now we have all of that circumstantial stuff plus his own admission that the drug found in her system was in his garage, on his workbench that he cleaned off the same day his wife went missing. This circumstance isn't going to apply to a lot of people, even to local Vets and ranchers.

He's an arrogant SOB so he will insist he is innocent forever, but if he was smart he would be thinking about a new life somewhere with no extradition treaty with the USA.

To think:

If Barry had put time not into premeditation but into preplanning, he could have chosen a time aligned with an actual, permitted job. He could have staged less but better. He could have prepared a barry-all location ahead of time and using his skillset disappeared her for all eternity. So why didn't he? Rage.

Rage and ego. (His actions betray him. There is no love lost. No credible grief, no credible regret.)

Plus so many false assumptions.

That he was entitled.
That leaving him was not negotiable.
That he'd be believed.
That there'd be no investigation.
Because he'd be believed.
Because local LE would move on.
And smallsville.
And it would blow over.
And he'd be free to do as he pleased.

Unfortunately, even though he mangled it from the get-go ('it' being hs life -- if you murder someone, you're not a good guy, Baer), somehow he's managed to skate on the last one -- free to do as he pleases. I hope every breath of that freedom is laced with fear, that he's a marked man and LE lurks around every corner. Tracking his vehicles, wiring people around him, listening to every word. Whether LE has active ears or eyes on him, I hope he breathes with trepidation, believing they are.

Pending arrest, may he lumber through life with fullblown barranoia.

jmo

I wouldn’t remember the details, but BM usually would not have high opinion of people who were below him socially, would he? He called people working for him “methheads” and what not. The only person he seemed to respect, besides richer neighbors of Salida, was this friend who made several trips to Afghanistan and whose feats Barry inflated. I simply can’t imagine him letting local farmers and ranchers into his house. He is pretty snobbish, IMHO.
Which is odd when we see how he keeps his things. His truck filthy, his gun safe horrible... I think Suzanne kept the house right, but things that only he controlled were not orderly at all. He is just an awful human being and has no right to look down on those hard working individuals.

Bbm.
That's right, he did !

Barry said Gentile's account could not be trusted.

'She's a meth head,' he told Fox21.

The article above goes on to say MG was fired for cooperating with LE !

A co-worker, Jeff Puckett, claims Barry Morphew had summoned him to a Holiday Inn hotel room in Denver on May 10 where Morphew stayed the night before and left behind a pile of mail, as well as an intense smell of chlorine, according to the report.

He said he was told the landscaping work Morphew needed help with was urgent.

“I got there Sunday night and the room smelled like chlorine real bad,” Puckett, 49, of Salida, told the outlet. “It was his room and he’d taken a shower — his towels were all over the floor.”

I remember reading way back when Suzanne 'disappeared' that one of BM's coworkers who stayed at the hotel smelled bleach ?
Pretty cheap of BM to rent a room, stay in it-- then expect an employee to stay in the same room when the towels/bedding hadn't been cleaned !
Ew.

J. Puckett -- who'd done some time in prison (BM had to spread that to the media) .
How rude of BM.

“Listen,” Barry said during a Thursday morning phonecall, “Jeff Puckett was in prison for nine years.”

Still, Barry confirmed he had hired Puckett for a project in Broomfield on Mother’s Day Weekend this year. They needed to fix a wall, Puckett said.

“I said listen, I need to do this job, I will pay you good money to come and help me,” Barry said of Puckett. “I gave him a job and an opportunity.”
Red emphasis mine.

BM making himself out to be the good man who helps others -- who aren't as upstanding as BM is :rolleyes: -- to get work.
That's the vibe I'm getting from BM.
Smh.

Old articles, but aside from BM's arrest and brief stint in jail, he's been living as a free man all this time.
Frustrating -- but the wheels of justice can turn slowly.
At least it's picking up now !
Omo.
I think Barry was doing shady things for a long time with work, at home, and with silver or whatever it was he was investing in. Of course he hired those that society might view as less trustworthy so if they sounded any alarms, it would be HIM the upstanding business owner that people would believe.. not the felon he had working for him.. or the drug user.. and you know perhaps those people would also not be quick to come forward and talk to police so win - win for him.

I’m actually surprised he did not try to kill Liebler.
Did BM perhaps harm him professionally or privately through nasty slander and we don't know anything about it until today? - It would be exact his thing, I believe. Murder of JL, on the other hand, would inevitably point to BM as POI #1 (and would have in the past). MOO And we know: stupid he isn't.

I was looking at the AA and trying to explore the idea that Suzanne might have been harmed prior to 2:47 on Saturday.

His phone location activity was high on Friday night also.. it was noted in the AA. What if he used BAM multiple times on her?

The texts from her to him saying Wanna hike are out of place.

The text she sent to the girls Friday night of him in line at the pizza place is odd.

I am really curious what exactly was texted back and forth with Jeff on Saturday morning. I am also curious when Sheila messaged her and then Suzanne ignored it. If it was Sat. morning, then that would be very odd.

Is it possible Barry used BAM on her Friday or early Saturday and then went to work, but had to cut out early because he had to get back home. IF he has a certain female accomplice then is it possible she used Suzanne's phone to text as normal Saturday morning?

I am curious if that photo Suzanne sent Jeff was proven to be take right before it was sent. Is it geo location data or something like that? That isn't mentioned in the AA.

Let's say he dosed her and didn't kill her, then he is barely at work 3 hours before he's rushing home to "make his wife happy".. was he watching with the camera to makes sure she was till out? Was he rushing home to tranq her again.

Then he goes on an errand and is texting with no response. Was this to set his alibi? Then he returns at 2:43 and realizes she is not still out.. so he is chasing her around. It is odd that she has messaged Jeff though so maybe she was just alive and well until he arrived home at 2:43.. just had this odd feeling about all of this. Maybe a "friend" was sitting at the house watching Suzanne and messaging Jeff.

I think the date/time on that last photo would say a lot. IF it was an old photo then I have to wonder if that was sent by someone pretending to be Suzanne.

I was looking at the AA and trying to explore the idea that Suzanne might have been harmed prior to 2:47 on Saturday.

His phone location activity was high on Friday night also.. it was noted in the AA. What if he used BAM multiple times on her?

The text she sent to the girls Friday night of him in line at the pizza place is odd.

I am really curious what exactly was texted back and forth with Jeff on Saturday morning. I am also curious when Sheila messaged her and then Suzanne ignored it. If it was Sat. morning, then that would be very odd.

Is it possible Barry used BAM on her Friday or early Saturday and then went to work, but had to cut out early because he had to get back home. IF he has a certain female accomplice then is it possible she used Suzanne's phone to text as normal Saturday morning?

I am curious if that photo Suzanne sent Jeff was proven to be take right before it was sent. Is it geo location data or something like that? That isn't mentioned in the AA.

Let's say he dosed her and didn't kill her, then he is barely at work 3 hours before he's rushing home to "make his wife happy".. was he watching with the camera to makes sure she was till out? Was he rushing home to tranq her again.

Then he goes on an errand and is texting with no response. Was this to set his alibi? Then he returns at 2:43 and realizes she is not still out.. so he is chasing her around. It is odd that she has messaged Jeff though so maybe she was just alive and well until he arrived home at 2:43.. just had this odd feeling about all of this. Maybe a "friend" was sitting at the house watching Suzanne and messaging Jeff.

I think the date/time on that last photo would say a lot. IF it was an old photo then I have to wonder if that was sent by someone pretending to be Suzanne.
Interesting theory justirish…… anything might be possible with BM. I guess my initial thought would be, was BM absolutely certain their daughters might not come home by any chance and discover something? MOO

I’m actually surprised he did not try to kill Liebler.
I truly believe if JL had died a suspicious and unexpected “accidental” death at BM’s hands, Suzanne would have raced to LE to tell all she knew, including about their affair, in order to do right by JL and have BM investigated as a likely suspect.

More than I can say about JL, who police took months to be identified and interrogated by LE, after they learned of the affair. I believe Barry knew of the affair, and it was among his motives to murder Suzanne. Valuable time, and possibly evidence, was lost when JL decided to lay low and even destroy his phone.

jmo

Had the elk-head on the wall, equipped with a camera (suspected or true, I have forgotten) been in the same room, where a sheet was missing and a bullet was found near the bed? Or is this all mixed up by me?

ETA: Is this the room, where SM could sedated have been lying on a bed and watched by BM via his cellphone (from his workplace)?

Last edited:
Had the elk-head on the wall, equipped with a camera (suspected or true, I have forgotten) been in the same room, where a sheet was missing and a bullet was found near the bed? Or is this all mixed up by me?

ETA: Is this the room, where SM could sedated have been lying on a bed and watched by BM via his cellphone (from his workplace)?
Yes there was that camera LE couldn't find! I don't think that would be a great outdoor in the woods camera, but inside hidden in something yes. He likely had some game cameras out there in the woods by the house, but that little camera was probably inside.

I also was thinking since the BAM was in her bone marrow maybe she was given several doses over the course of many hours and maybe the last one she couldn't come back from. I am not sure how fast BAM goes into the bone marrow, but I figured maybe if she had several doses either from 2:47 and on into that night or if one was given prior to 2:47 that day and then she was hit again when he arrived home at 2:43 and began running around the house. Maybe he hid Suzannes phone.. she wakes enough to look around for it and somehow he either sees her on that camera and begins texting about heading home. I don't know his texts and actions that day are just very very odd, even for a guy that has decided to kill his wife. He's a work, but watching his cameras, then needs to get home to make his wife happy. She's texting him about hiking? WHAT? WHY? He says he's coming home, but is out on the property wandering around, then he's leaving again and texting her many times.. just odd.. it had me wondering maybe that day was so off because she was already being drugged and if someone was helping him it would be easy to text a few messages, but that helper likely would not respond to the best friend because a best friend would know if texts were off. If she only texted Jeff then another female "friend" of Barry's certainly could make up some stuff there and Jeff likely wouldn't be alerted.

So you think she didn't post this picture? Just trying to catch your drift here
Just found it interesting. When I first saw the tweets about it being testified to at the preliminary hearings I always wanted to see it. There was some speculation from us Websleuths about whether SM really took the photo, etc. Just because they say she sent it to the girls could that mean BM took a selfie of himself and had her text it from her phone ? A lot us wondered if she was really out running errands with him on that date and time. JMO
Because it was not displayed in Court, I was skeptical and now, years later Lauren the former Journalist has an answer settling the question. That’s all.

Last edited:
Barry goofed at some point. He must have referred to something Suzanne said, did or wore that he couldn't have known without some kind of surveillance. And Suzanne knew where she was when she'd said it, did it or wore it. It raised her hackles.

The mounted deer heads were in the living room and bonus room predominantly. I think Suzanne thought the deer in the bonus room had "eyes" in its mouth.... it may have. And he removed it. Or moved it.

I would compare Suzanne's typical phone use to see if Thursday, Friday, Saturday mornings had variance.... I'm guessing not. Even LE said she had a pattern, starting with a daily good morning to JL, uncharacteristically absent on Sunday.

If Suzanne was tranqued prior to 2:47, I think it would be evident in the pattern of her phone usage.

We will never know what was going through his sick mind when he was loading that syringe (or syringes), whether he was dosing to sedate or kill, but it's altogether demented how ever he planned it.

As much, I hate that he repeatedly diminished her, equated her resilience and resolve with meanness, ballsyness, not thinking right, as if Suzanne had lost her mind, when he was the one who was out of his mind.

Scariest kind of monster, not under the bed, one who once shared it.

He carried her... then he killed her.

And he wasn't much of a husband/partner/person in between.

Tomorrow is May 10th, the 4th anniversary of the Mother's Day Suzanne never saw. It's also a Friday. I know what would be fitting.

JMO

Barry goofed at some point. He must have referred to something Suzanne said, did or wore that he couldn't have known without some kind of surveillance. And Suzanne knew where she was when she'd said it, did it or wore it.

The mounted deer heads were in the living room and bonus room predominantly. I think Suzanne thought the deer in the bonus room had "eyes" in its mouth.... it may have. And he removed it. Or moved it.

I would compare Suzanne typical phone use to see if Thursday, Friday, Saturday mornings had variance.... I'm guessing not. Even LE said she had a pattern, starting with a good morning to JL, uncharacteristically absent on Sunday.

If Suzanne was tranqued prior to 2:47, I think it would be evident in the pattern of her phone usage.

We will never know what was going through his sick mind when he was loading that syringe (or syringes), whether he was dosing to sedate or kill, but it's altogether demented.

I hate that he repeatedly diminished her, equated her resilience and resolve with meanness, ballsyness, not thinking right, as if Suzanne had lost her mind, when he was the one who was out of his mind.

Tomorrow is May 10th, the 4th anniversary of the Mother's Day Suzanne never saw. It's also a Friday. I know what would be fitting.

JMO
Wouldn't it be just the best thing for an arrest to happen tomorrow on the anniversary of Mother's day.

Barry goofed at some point. He must have referred to something Suzanne said, did or wore that he couldn't have known without some kind of surveillance. And Suzanne knew where she was when she'd said it, did it or wore it.

I would compare Suzanne typical phone use to see if Thursday, Friday, Saturday mornings had variance.... I'm guessing not. Even LE said she had a pattern, starting with a good morning to JL, uncharacteristically absent on Sunday.

We will never know what was going through his sick mind when he was loading that syringe (or syringes), whether he was dosing to sedate or kill, but it's altogether demented.

I hate that he repeatedly diminished her, equated her resilience and resolve with meanness, ballsyness, not thinking right, as if Suzanne had lost her mind, when he was the one who was out of his mind.

JMO
Wouldn’t it be extremely satisfying if tomorrow would be THE day? I know we are prepared to be patient while waiting on Justice, but it would be very symbolic ( to me ) if May 10 is the day his freedom ends for good ! JMO

48 Hours on ID: Can Barry Morphew be charged with Suzanne Morphew's murder again?​

Episode 19 of season 18 of 48 Hours re-airs on May 8, 2024, at 11 p.m. EST on Investigation Discovery and showcases the details of the murder case. The official synopsis reads:

"Colorado mother of two Suzanne Morphew vanished on Mother's Day 2020. Then, bizarre clues emerged - a chipmunk-chasing alibi from her husband, a spy pen and an affair. Peter Van Sant reports."

It seems that, if Barry had access to Suzanne's phone, he would have kept her digital presence active longer.

Jmo
Unless he was somehow locked out of it. If I recall correctly she wasn't active after 2:03 or 2:11 or so when she told Jeff she was getting on WA.. It is just odd that day. We don't know all of the activities because it wasn't outlined in the AA, but we know some. It seemed off. I really am curious about her texting him about hiking twice.. I just don't see her wanting to go to hike with him and I don't see her going to get pizza with him either and taking his photo. It is just very off. The FB resets and his phone having that higher than normal activities Friday and Saturday.

^^rsbm

IMO, we have to recognize the AA is not 100% on the communication between the parties, and without the full context, it's easy for the quoted texts to get lost in translation.

For example, at the conclusion of the prelim hearing on Sept 17, 2021, the prosecution gives context to the same communication quoted by OP (i.e. includes BM being first to ask about hiking, omitted from AA).

The passage below also demonstrates how SM was tricked into letting her guard down-- falsely believing BM had taken heed to her request for civility, as they made the transition to end their marriage.

From the Court Transcript of the proceedings on Sept 17, 2021, pages 13-15/99:

1715293962273.png
1715294051698.png

1715294199613.png
See docket #119.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors