Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #113

Status
Not open for further replies.

May 10, 2024

On April 19, 2022, murder charges against Suzanne Morphew's husband, Barry, were dropped when Stanley and her team asked 11th Judicial Judge Ramsey Lama to dismiss the case without prejudice just nine days before trial. Morphew walked out of the courthouse a free man.

Dismissed without prejudice means that the investigation can be re-opened though the original prosecution is over.

Morphrew, 56, moved to Arizona but held a memorial service for his wife in Indiana last weekend. The two met, married, and started a family there. Suzanne Morphew's side of the family was not invited to the "celebration of life," according to family members who wished to remain unidentified.

Heaps of information

Anne Kelly inherits a voluminous four-year-old case with at least 80,000 pages of discovery, not including hours of police body-worn camera footage and video interviews. But the recent autopsy results revealed a critical clue. A request by the El Paso County Coroner to a forensic lab for extra toxicology revealed that the chemicals butorphanol, azaperone, and medetomidine were found in Suzanne Morphew's femur, according to the report.

ETA: Don't be confused. Two weeks ago, CM reported: Barry Morphew, 56, now lives in Indiana...

Last edited:

May 10, 2024

On April 19, 2022, murder charges against Suzanne Morphew's husband, Barry, were dropped when Stanley and her team asked 11th Judicial Judge Ramsey Lama to dismiss the case without prejudice just nine days before trial. Morphew walked out of the courthouse a free man.

Dismissed without prejudice means that the investigation can be re-opened though the original prosecution is over.

Morphrew, 56, moved to Arizona but held a memorial service for his wife in Indiana last weekend. The two met, married, and started a family there. Suzanne Morphew's side of the family was not invited to the "celebration of life," according to family members who wished to remain unidentified.

Heaps of information

Anne Kelly inherits a voluminous four-year-old case with at least 80,000 pages of discovery, not including hours of police body-worn camera footage and video interviews. But the recent autopsy results revealed a critical clue. A request by the El Paso County Coroner to a forensic lab for extra toxicology revealed that the chemicals butorphanol, azaperone, and medetomidine were found in Suzanne Morphew's femur, according to the report.

ETA: Don't be confused. Two weeks ago, CM reported BM moved back to Indiana.
I’d be genuinely surprised if Carol even knew where she lived.

Rsbm
Barry and the preparation of BAM
Have been pondering this, the search for the Turkey Carcass - could that be when he prepared the BAM? Risky doing in his garage/workshop/hovel in case Suzanne walked in on him, not done at job site because why would you? Not done when driving back to PP, so Turkey carcass search could make sense as to when he prepared it, even more chilling then because that would defo be premeditated - MOO

May 10th today. RIP Suzanne x
Guessing Barry could load a dart practically in his sleep.

I do wonder when he did it.

And what he was doing for those two hours back behind PP. That's a very long time.

We know what he wasn't doing.

He wasn't having veggie soup with Suzanne. He wasn't sitting next to her, talking for an hour. He wasn't looking for rancid turkey jerky.

Was he messing with trail cams? Was he circling in close to Suzanne? To eavesdrop? Or to tranq?

What else could he have been doing?

Was his dumpsterbuddy on break for some of that time?

Really having trouble accounting for 120 minutes.

JMO

Rsbm
Barry and the preparation of BAM
Have been pondering this, the search for the Turkey Carcass - could that be when he prepared the BAM? Risky doing in his garage/workshop/hovel in case Suzanne walked in on him, not done at job site because why would you? Not done when driving back to PP, so Turkey carcass search could make sense as to when he prepared it, even more chilling then because that would defo be premeditated - MOO

May 10th today. RIP Suzanne x

BM had likely been been up to no good inside the garage-- perhaps experimenting and prepping the BAM sedation serum. SM included this in her 50+grievance list:

From the AA, page 13:

1715367325880.png

And what he was doing for those two hours back behind PP. That's a very long time.

He wasn't having veggie soup with Suzanne. He wasn't sitting next to her, talking for an hour. He wasn't looking for rancid turkey jerky.

Was he messing with trail cams? Was he circling in close to Suzanne? To eavesdrop? Or to tranq?

JMO
He didn't even need to load the dart, which makes the "broken" dart gun irrelevant.

To mix BAM you add sterile water to a vial with lyophilized powder in it with another needle and syringe. That needle is perfect for sneaking up and injecting someone.

I’d be genuinely surprised if Carol even knew where she lived.
Barry Morphew, 56, now lives in Indiana and as next of kin, received the results of his wife's autopsy report last week. He is planning a celebration of her life on Saturday, May 4.

Tuesday would have been Suzanne Morphew's 54th birthday.
IMO, CM is still carrying water for IE. What she writes is what IE wants the public to believe.

Last edited:

JMO
BBM - I am starting to wonder if something like this is exactly what was going on. I recently discovered there was a map in the AA of where his phone was going during that time and it was about a quarter mile off away from the house.. I'm curious what is over that way.. looks like another road that comes down from the main road.. maybe someone met him over there for a little chat or exchange of something.. maybe dropping off keys for a vehicle..

BBM - I am starting to wonder if something like this is exactly what was going on. I recently discovered there was a map in the AA of where his phone was going during that time and it was about a quarter mile off away from the house.. I'm curious what is over that way.. looks like another road that comes down from the main road.. maybe someone met him over there for a little chat or exchange of something.. maybe dropping off keys for a vehicle..
Or it was Saturday and he took a few minutes to "check his deer" as he'd grown accustomed. A man has needs (quote the man). Zippergate. Or maybe just a quick prayer session.

Barry is as Barry does.

JMO

I suspect the list of registered users within 100 miles of Puma Path is very low or perhaps even zero. To add those people likely have controls over those drugs with logs showing the amount used and when and triple locked safes, as many people who handle scheduled substances do, as well as no motive or opportunity to harm Suzanne.

Fingerprinting the drugs is an interesting idea. It might be possible to fingerprint this prep of BAM and link it to a manufacturer: for example the inactive ingredients unique to this drug, dyes and other things.
Perhaps. I think the assumption is also being made that all three drugs were in her system from one solution...something we don't know but is a pretty good assumption. If the caffeine claim is true that is also an oddity. I would think with her recent cancer treatments the tox screen is highly important to both sides. The 3 drugs is huge absolutely but prosecution can't go after a second attempt without being very buttoned up so I'm assuming they are thinking about all the things we are thinking about. The DNA possibly retrieved from the clothing and objects at the burial site will probably be important also. Prosecution is closer to the case now than 4 years ago, but I don't think they are quite there yet or they are and are keeping it very close to chest.

You know who has animal tranquilizers? The CO Parks and Wildlife Commission, but protocol is to not use it, per attached article. I am willing to bet that firefighters also have access to it, for use in emergencies when a bear is in a homeowner yard, or a deer is stuck and wreaking havoc during an accident or rescue. And guess who was a firefighter? Yep, good ‘ol Barry.

jmo
Excellent points. Makes me think that the fire stations to which Barry had access probably also had logs or at least some system for keeping track of how much, if any, BAM they had on hand.

It would be very interesting to subpoena those records, if they haven't already been asked for.

Open question to everyone: Am I misremembering, or did BM surrender a weapon to LE in those first few days of the investigation?

Excellent points. Makes me think that the fire stations to which Barry had access probably also had logs or at least some system for keeping track of how much, if any, BAM they had on hand.

It would be very interesting to subpoena those records, if they haven't already been asked for.

Open question to everyone: Am I misremembering, or did BM surrender a weapon to LE in those first few days of the investigation?
He did but it wasn't in the first few days of the investigation. BM surrendered his chipmunk gun (sawed off .22) but this was shortly before he was arrested.

From the AA, pg 76:

1715371615624.png

What else could he have been doing?...

Really having trouble accounting ...for 120 minutes.

JMO
Perhaps kicking tires, ogling fuel gages, measuring trunk space, noting non-telematics models, etc. ?:rolleyes:?
All about and around...
"The PP Quality Pre-owned Bargain Lot"
C'mon in!
"Complimentary
loaners available, day or night,
for peace of mind if your needs change suddenly.
We only ask the you vacuum the interior and rinse off the dust...
... AND THAT'S ALL
:D!"

So when do you think Barry decided to kill her?

I think it's possible he's always had ideas about how he would do it if it ever came to that. I don't think he just decided in the exact moment he was chasing her with the BAM that this is how he would do it. I think he had at least considered this is what he would do if she ever left.

I think a specific plan with date/time or at least his plan to do it before he left for Broomfield formed possibly on the 8th. I think the higher than normal cell locations for Friday night was noted as being unlike his past behavior the rest of that week. Then also Saturday night busy busy.. BUT I think he started to really consider that this is what he had to do on Friday.

I think it's possible his wanna hike text was real and he was considering taking her hiking and then he would use the BAM and make her fall or something.. could claim it was an accident. There was a case I recently listened to a podcast about where a man did just that. Took his wife on a weekend get away and they were hiking and she "fell".. only she didn't. Wonder if Barry ever listened to something about that case. I just looked it up it was Harold Henthorn from INDIANA (big surprise) in 2012.

Wonder if they have his search history other than cute girls in Salida.. Did he google any trails in the months/weeks leading up to May 2020? Maybe he couldn't find a good spot that he thought she'd be willing to hike to in order to make a fall happen. Plan B was that she disappears on a bike ride?

I think it's possible his wanna hike text was real and he was considering taking her hiking and then he would use the BAM and make her fall or something.. could claim it was an accident. There was a case I recently listened to a podcast about where a man did just that. Took his wife on a weekend get away and they were hiking and she "fell".. only she didn't. Wonder if Barry ever listened to something about that case. I just looked it up it was Harold Henthorn from INDIANA (big surprise) in 2012.
^^rsbm

The Henthorn case is when I was first introduced to Agent Grusing! I didn't recall Henthorn was from Indiana but he murdered two wives in Colorado. And just like BM, his own contradicting statements convicted him. Jurors don't like liars-- especially about important details.

10/12/23

During the 10-day trial, jurors heard about the circumstances on Sept. 29, 2012, when Henthorn's wife, Toni, fell to her death in Rocky Mountain National Park. Jurors also learned about two other incidents. First, the year prior to Toni's death, Henthorn threw a heavy beam off a deck he was repairing at the couple's vacation cabin, which struck Toni in the neck. In addition, Henthorn's first wife, Lynn, died in 1995 while she and her husband were changing a tire on the side of a Douglas County road. She was crushed under the vehicle and authorities ruled it an accident.

Perhaps. I think the assumption is also being made that all three drugs were in her system from one solution...something we don't know but is a pretty good assumption. If the caffeine claim is true that is also an oddity. I would think with her recent cancer treatments the tox screen is highly important to both sides. The 3 drugs is huge absolutely but prosecution can't go after a second attempt without being very buttoned up so I'm assuming they are thinking about all the things we are thinking about. The DNA possibly retrieved from the clothing and objects at the burial site will probably be important also. Prosecution is closer to the case now than 4 years ago, but I don't think they are quite there yet or they are and are keeping it very close to chest.
Even Iris isn’t disputing those toxins came from BAM, which she would absolutely do if there was an argument to be made there. She had a two week lead time to come up with a coherent argument there, and the best she could do is blame someone else.

And the fact that she’s bizarrely focusing on caffeine, tells us that there is no toxicology that helps her in any way.

She’s not the type to sit on information helpful to her client.

I don’t think they’re merely closer, they now have evidence that is not only beyond a reasonable doubt, but at some imaginary higher burden.

So when do you think Barry decided to kill her?

I think it's possible he's always had ideas about how he would do it if it ever came to that. I don't think he just decided in the exact moment he was chasing her with the BAM that this is how he would do it. I think he had at least considered this is what he would do if she ever left.

I think a specific plan with date/time or at least his plan to do it before he left for Broomfield formed possibly on the 8th. I think the higher than normal cell locations for Friday night was noted as being unlike his past behavior the rest of that week. Then also Saturday night busy busy.. BUT I think he started to really consider that this is what he had to do on Friday.

Wonder if they have his search history other than cute girls in Salida.. Did he google any trails in the months/weeks leading up to May 2020? Maybe he couldn't find a good spot that he thought she'd be willing to hike to in order to make a fall happen. Plan B was that she disappears on a bike ride?
Suzanne had a resolve about her this time that Barry didn't recognize. Love bombing didn't work, fake apologizing didn't work, guilt tripping didn't work. Drinking, biking, chemo meds didn't explain it. All along he didn't much care what she did, online or elsewhere, so long as his needs were being met. This was different. It was interfering and that's how/when he discovered she was IN LOVE WITH another man. Heard it with his own ears, I suspect.

We heard what he'd do to a potential suitor come after a daughter. I suspect he had the same colorful playbook for a suitor come after his wife. IMO THAT became his obsession -- who was the guy and when and how was she seeing him. Bought the mini cam. Wonder where he had it sent. Porch pirating his own packages, maybe a regular habit of his.

Friday night into Saturday morning, I think he was seething and desperate. Had to know who it was. He was rabid with LE when they confronted him about the affair (he was aware so that part was nothing new), they wouldn't tell him who.

He heard something or saw something while at the riverfront property with MG on Saturday morning, courtesy of his cameras, that sent him over the edge. IMO that's when he sealed her fate.

JMO

Last edited:
^^rsbm

The Henthorn case is when I was first introduced to Agent Grusing! I didn't recall Henthorn was from Indiana but he murdered two wives in Colorado. And just like BM, his own contradicting statements convicted him. Jurors don't like liars-- especially about important details.

10/12/23

During the 10-day trial, jurors heard about the circumstances on Sept. 29, 2012, when Henthorn's wife, Toni, fell to her death in Rocky Mountain National Park. Jurors also learned about two other incidents. First, the year prior to Toni's death, Henthorn threw a heavy beam off a deck he was repairing at the couple's vacation cabin, which struck Toni in the neck. In addition, Henthorn's first wife, Lynn, died in 1995 while she and her husband were changing a tire on the side of a Douglas County road. She was crushed under the vehicle and authorities ruled it an accident.
Upon looking better, Henthorn is serving his sentence in Terre Haute Federal Prison.. I was mistaken on him being from Indiana. I was googling to try to remember what case it was and when I saw his name I knew it was the one, but it said he was serving his sentence in Indiana and I assumed. So likely the national park murder got him the federal prison sentence?

Even Iris isn’t disputing those toxins came from BAM, which she would absolutely do if there was an argument to be made there. She had a two week lead time to come up with a coherent argument there, and the best she could do is blame someone else.

And the fact that she’s bizarrely focusing on caffeine, tells us that there is no toxicology that helps her in any way.

She’s not the type to sit on information helpful to her client.

I don’t think they’re merely closer, they now have evidence that is not only beyond a reasonable doubt, but at some imaginary higher burden.
That caffeine comment really is odd. Does she not realize a person can consume caffeine at any point during any day of their life? lol As if this was a big telling moment. Great point about there likely not being anything else she could use or she would have. Caffeine in the bone marrow is NOT a big tell that her client is innocent!

That caffeine comment really is odd. Does she not realize a person can consume caffeine at any point during any day of their life? lol As if this was a big telling moment. Great point about there likely not being anything else she could use or she would have. Caffeine in the bone marrow is NOT a big tell that her client is innocent!
That’s why it’s so desperate. It would be in Suzanne’s system if she was murdered on Saturday afternoon, as the prosecution alleges.

They've also begun hedging on the bike ride theory, because they know the tranquilizer makes that theory much more difficult to push.

"...confirms that she put on her mountain bike clothes and was either getting ready for, or was already on her morning bike ride, when she was abducted, allegedly drugged, and buried 50 miles south of their home."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member