Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w prejudice* #104

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. I think it is was a strategic mistake on prosecution to take everything Barry said at face value and then try to make what they actually new fit. Nuggets…I always believed that is why defense always wanted the entire conversations played in court. And it surprised CBI because they were still puzzling it all together and sorting through everything. It will be hard core evidentiary facts and not just invalidated theories or conjecture in my opinion that will get this case back in court. And it is my opinion it will be a completely different prosecution strategy. They played their proverbial hand and lost so I think it is time for a new hand. I have long believed there was a potential case and long believed they jumped to inaccurate theories that probably wouldn’t hold up to scrutiny and I won’t ever know if my suspicions were right or wrong because they pulled the plug and surprised everyone.
I am of the belief that they don't have to lay out any exact theory in what happened. I don't think it would be smart for them to try to explain it exactly. They can't possibly know what Barry did, but they can prove that he was the only one at that house with her when her communication with anyone else stopped and never would be again. He is the only one that has lied about every detail of that day and he alone had motive to do it.

I am of the belief that they don't have to lay out any exact theory in what happened. I don't think it would be smart for them to try to explain it exactly. They can't possibly know what Barry did, but they can prove that he was the only one at that house with her when her communication with anyone else stopped and never would be again. He is the only one that has lied about every detail of that day and he alone had motive to do it.
And he alone did it.

^^bbm

I agree but also be reminded that by this time in the investigation, only a couple of months before BM was arrested, he had become consistent in his approach of giving Agents information that matched the evidence he'd learned about in his prior interview.

Per the AA (pg 66/129), on 2/28/21, about 2 months before BM's arrest, SA Grusing met up with BM and told him that Agents had information to share with him. BM was anxious -- said he had a meeting in 10 minutes and wanted to know how long talking with Agents would take. SA Grusing advised BM that he had first right of refusal [to the information].

Grusing also confirmed to BM that they did want to talk to him about "the affair" -- but also the technology and other aspects, things BM could clear up for Agents.

After learning about the affair and the places where SM met up with JL, BM changed his story about when BM and SA allegedly hiked to Foos Creek -- now it could have been Thursday or Friday (and not Saturday).

However, when asked directly if after he came home Saturday if they went on a bike ride or a hike, BM replied they went on a hike--

But after SA Harris offered that BM sent a text to Crib that he was at the house and needed a few minutes, BM said he didn't even remember getting the blade changed on Saturday and doesn't know why since he has a good memory. (BM was also vague about whether or not it was Saturday that he looked at the attachment for sale for the bobcat).

SA Grusing explained that it was during this errand (with the bobcat) that SM took her "last proof of life" photo but it was not apparent to them where SM was at, and without ever looking at the photo, BM assured them she had to be at the house.

After viewing SM's last proof of life photo -- he told the Agents the photo had to be taken when he first came home for lunch because that's when she was laying outside. BM couldn't recall if SM was still laying outside when BM came home the second time.

And following the discussion above with Agents Grusing and Harris is when BM told them for the first time that when he returned home the second time, he wasn't circling the house looking for SM, but was going around shooting chipmunks. (AA pg 71/129).

While I agree that there's truth in BM's lies, I disagree that it wasn't until Feb 2021 that prosecutors had any idea what BM was doing circling the house! They'd long had evidence of the deer tranquilizer Rx and believed SM was incapacitated.

Clearly, with so much "I don't recall" by BM on this date, he wanted to leave them with something before he went back to work that afternoon so why not offer the chipmunks?

Although BM agreed to meet with the Agents later that evening following his work to continue going through the audit notebook, BM did not meet with them again until March 1, when BM again significantly altered his prior statements. MOO

ETA: I get chills every time I read that section of the AA -- knowing that BM arrived home (second time) from DSI in a rage and went after SM. SM wasn't answering the phone and I believe he ultimately saw SM on the spy camera...

I also believe now he came home in a rage and killed her much earlier than he intended to, and this was a big problem because he couldn't access her phone to create proof of life. This is why he is weirdly doing odd jobs just before the murder

I didn't know he had lied about going hiking on Saturday!

Really wouldn't like it hanging round my house, unless there's a zombie apocalypse or something, then you can just call me Daryl.
Find it difficult to believe Suzanne would want or feel comfortable with so many weapons in her home. Don't know why. Quite likely a wrong assumption too, but, doesn't fit I guess - she appeared to have been a kind person, struggle with her accepting it, then again, she probably didn't have a choice with BM around.
Also, a review I read about that particular crossbow, mentioned the mayor of Alexandria, indiana, co-hinky dink I thought. Bet Barry was the reviewer :cool:

Moo

There's nothing scary about a hunting bow, IMO. All the wives of all the hunters I know are not uncomfortable with hunting weapons, whether they be firearms or bows. I would guess Suzanne, married to a hunter, would have lost any irrational fears of hunting weapons. In my opinion, the only people uncomfortable with hunting weapons are city-people who have never really seen or used one, just seen them in the world of fiction, used to kill zombies on television. MOO

There's nothing scary about a hunting bow, IMO. All the wives of all the hunters I know are not uncomfortable with hunting weapons, whether they be firearms or bows. I would guess Suzanne, married to a hunter, would have lost any irrational fears of hunting weapons. In my opinion, the only people uncomfortable with hunting weapons are city-people who have never really seen or used one, just seen them in the world of fiction, used to kill zombies on television. MOO

I dont like them.
I'm not sure Suzanne would have necessarily been comfortable with it, I believe it was Barry's law in that house and Barry did what Barry wanted to do, regardless of how anyone else felt.
I'm not a city girl, but I'm British, weapons such as crossbows are not something we have just laying about. There's nothing wrong with being uncomfortable with weapons such as a crossbow, they are designed for one thing only.
I don't wish to kill another living thing purposefully for pleasure because they have antlers, such as Barry and I'm happy with that. If it was for survival, I wouldn't like it, but I'd do it, because I'd have to, to survive - zombies or not moo
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Evidenced by what behavior? I'm not sure I agree that he doesn't care deeply about his daughters as there has been nothing that tells me differently. Making sure his daughters had a home should he end of in jail was a biggie for me. He could have put them in a rental and paid rent. Leaving PP because his daughters were fearful was another and I believe they were fearful at that point, but not of their dad.
IMO, if Barry truly cared about his daughters, he wouldn't have murdered their mother.

For me, it's just that simple.

JMO, IMO, etc.

I dont like them.
I'm not sure Suzanne would have necessarily been comfortable with it, I believe it was Barry's law in that house and Barry did what Barry wanted to do, regardless of how anyone else felt.
I'm not a city girl, but I'm British, weapons such as crossbows are not something we have just laying about. There's nothing wrong with being uncomfortable with weapons such as a crossbow, they are designed for one thing only.
I don't wish to kill another living thing purposefully for pleasure because they have antlers, such as Barry and I'm happy with that. If it was for survival, I wouldn't like it, but I'd do it, because I'd have to, to survive - zombies or not moo
<modsnip>
Most hunters don’t kill for sport or pleasure. They kill for food for their families. And rightfully so. They respect laws. They know precisely how to handle and care for the weapons they own and use them accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone know the exact street location of the retaining wall Barry was building in Broomfield
To my knowledge, the only MSM info on the Broomfield Transit job was by former Fox21 reporter Lauren Sharff. I didn't check but I imagine she still had her youtube channel up where she did an episode of the retaining wall, and she's on location. This area of the transit center and trash runs at shopping mall were familiar to LS because she grew up there and reported that her parents still live in Broomfield.

IMO, if Barry truly cared about his daughters, he wouldn't have murdered their mother.

For me, it's just that simple.

JMO, IMO, etc.
And cowering indoors while Lauren S. was at the door requesting an interview. He sent MM1 out to confront Lauren while he hid indoors.

Starting a relationship so quickly after their mother vanished.

Telling a daughter to call a neighbor to check on Suzanne instead of doing it himself.

Embarrassing his daughters by telling so many lies to investigators, statements that are out there forever for any friends, boyfriends, future children, future employers of theirs to read and gossip and whisper about.

No, this is not a caring father.

^^bbm

I agree but also be reminded that by this time in the investigation, only a couple of months before BM was arrested, he had become consistent in his approach of giving Agents information that matched the evidence he'd learned about in his prior interview.

Per the AA (pg 66/129), on 2/28/21, about 2 months before BM's arrest, SA Grusing met up with BM and told him that Agents had information to share with him. BM was anxious -- said he had a meeting in 10 minutes and wanted to know how long talking with Agents would take. SA Grusing advised BM that he had first right of refusal [to the information].

Grusing also confirmed to BM that they did want to talk to him about "the affair" -- but also the technology and other aspects, things BM could clear up for Agents.

After learning about the affair and the places where SM met up with JL, BM changed his story about when BM and SA allegedly hiked to Foos Creek -- now it could have been Thursday or Friday (and not Saturday).

However, when asked directly if after he came home Saturday if they went on a bike ride or a hike, BM replied they went on a hike--

But after SA Harris offered that BM sent a text to Crib that he was at the house and needed a few minutes, BM said he didn't even remember getting the blade changed on Saturday and doesn't know why since he has a good memory. (BM was also vague about whether or not it was Saturday that he looked at the attachment for sale for the bobcat).

SA Grusing explained that it was during this errand (with the bobcat) that SM took her "last proof of life" photo but it was not apparent to them where SM was at, and without ever looking at the photo, BM assured them she had to be at the house.

After viewing SM's last proof of life photo -- he told the Agents the photo had to be taken when he first came home for lunch because that's when she was laying outside. BM couldn't recall if SM was still laying outside when BM came home the second time.

And following the discussion above with Agents Grusing and Harris is when BM told them for the first time that when he returned home the second time, he wasn't circling the house looking for SM, but was going around shooting chipmunks. (AA pg 71/129).

While I agree that there's truth in BM's lies, I disagree that it wasn't until Feb 2021 that prosecutors had any idea what BM was doing circling the house! They'd long had evidence of the deer tranquilizer Rx and believed SM was incapacitated.

Clearly, with so much "I don't recall" by BM on this date, he wanted to leave them with something before he went back to work that afternoon so why not offer the chipmunks?

Although BM agreed to meet with the Agents later that evening following his work to continue going through the audit notebook, BM did not meet with them again until March 1, when BM again significantly altered his prior statements. MOO

ETA: I get chills every time I read that section of the AA -- knowing that BM arrived home (second time) from DSI in a rage and went after SM. SM wasn't answering the phone and I believe he ultimately saw SM on the spy camera...
BM is the poster child for this article. I'd love to hear him tell the story backwards.

How to Tell If Someone Is Lying: 10 Tells and Clues

To my knowledge, the only MSM info on the Broomfield Transit job was by former Fox21 reporter Lauren Sharff. I didn't check but I imagine she still had her youtube channel up where she did an episode of the retaining wall, and she's on location. This area of the transit center and trash runs at shopping mall were familiar to LS because she grew up there and reported that her parents still live in Broomfield.Tthank you.

Evidenced by what behavior? I'm not sure I agree that he doesn't care deeply about his daughters as there has been nothing that tells me differently. Making sure his daughters had a home should he end of in jail was a biggie for me. He could have put them in a rental and paid rent. Leaving PP because his daughters were fearful was another and I believe they were fearful at that point, but not of their dad.
Cowering indoors while Lauren S. was at the door requesting an interview. He sent MM1 out to confront Lauren while he hid indoors.

Starting a relationship so quickly after their mother vanished.

Telling a daughter to call a neighbor to check on Suzanne instead of doing it himself.

Embarrassing his daughters by telling so many lies to investigators, statements that are out there forever for any friends, boyfriends, future children, future employers of theirs to read and gossip and whisper about.

These behaviors!
A caring father does not act like this!

I wouldn’t want one around. And I’ve never watched zombies being killed on TV.

If Suzanne had a fear of hunting weapons, it may not have been irrational at all. :(

If Suzanne had a fear of hunting weapons, it may not have been irrational at all. :(
Guns kill. I fear guns. I'm scared of weapons in the wrong hands. I'm scared of people having a bad day, being depressed, and having access to weapons. I'm scared of people who stockpile caches of weapons and ammo- with the intent to kill. I don't agree with people who say it is irrational to fear guns. I own guns. I hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann