Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see the CCSO press release today.

I've been thinking about the amazing amount of silence that has been representative of the family and friends of BM/SM on this case. I wonder how much of that is attributable to:
  • A request from LE (as previously reported)
  • Advice of counsel (assuming this to be the case, at least for BM and family)
  • The lack of "on the ground" reporting due to COVID (easier to duck reporters virtually than when they are hounding you in person)
  • A very small network of friends in CO? (not a fact, truly a question)
I just think #1 and #2 on the list can only account for so much of the silence - immediate family and possibly any really close friends. Everyone has a network beyond that - and I can only recall a very small handful of any reports from that network sharing anything about SM - to MSM or even social media.

I don't have anything to compare it to, as I haven't followed other missing persons cases, but I would just assume there would be more stories/reports from that extended network about the some of the details around SM's life and her personally. I would think it's a way for loved ones to make sure she's seen as a person (rather than a statistic) and keep her fresh in thoughts and minds of the community. It might be an indication that SMs "world" was very small (tight circle of people who really knew/interacted with her regularly) - or it might be an indication of the challenges reporters have in this environment tracking down information/a story (as have been pointed out on WS, there have been some pretty major mistakes made in reporting on this case - the least of which was the storm of social media rumors that hit the day of the dig). I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. MOO, JMO.

Why? Exactly how many large scale searches in 30 days are not considered pitiful? Only takes one ticket to win the lottery. We have no knowledge of what evidence resulted from each alleged pitiful, search. MOO
That's a good question.

I've followed cases where evidence was deemed to be found "too soon" or "too late" or the judge on submitted briefs by one party ruled "too fast" at 4 months and "too slow" at 5 months.

The "Goldilocks" rule in determining what's the right amount of time or level of effort for something to be considered valid, can ultimately never be met.

From your post:

TD: "You were in Denver, but how long before someone noticed she was gone?"

BM: "It was Mother's Day so...um...we uh...had two daughters that were coming home from the trip and I had that job in Denver that I wanted to get started on on Sunday set it up for my workers, my workers were coming in Sunday night. Normally I don't work Sunday night. I work Monday, but I being the owner I wanted to get everything lined up so that I didn't have to worry about Monday morning, just get busy working. So I told my wife, I said, 'Listen, the girls are gonna be home; they want to spend Mother's Day with you. Mind if I go get started with this?' She said, 'That's fine....'. She bikes ... She'd ride the bike ... The girls would get home; they'll be together. That's what we thought was gonna happen. The girls were running late so they texted Happy Mother's Day. She didn't text back. So we went to ... they called my neighbors. And said listen, it's Mother's Day, I'm a little worried and will you go check the house? And the neighbor went and checked the house. Saw that her car was there but the bike was gone. She called me in Denver and said, "Hey, we're just a little worried." And I go, "Well, I am too. Why don't we just call the police, just to be safe?"
---------------------------------------------------
Well, he lied a lot but the most important lie of all is:
....She bikes. She'd ride the bike...

Those two short sentences that he squeezed in his blether don't belong there. Read his vague, incoherent rambling again. It doesn't flow.

He doesn't say when he left, when he saw his wife last, how long she really was missing..
He basically just wants to highlight that "She bikes. She'd ride the bike"
He really didn't want to say anything else, just those.

ITA
It appears to me that his telling of the story reveals a couple of clues as to whether he was actually there on Mother's Day.

In his ramblings he states: "So I told my wife, I said, 'Listen, the girls are gonna be home; they want to spend Mother's Day with you. Mind if I go get started with this?" The awkward phrasing sounds like he's implying he was actually having that conversation with Suzanne ON Mother's Day. IMO I don't believe that conversation ever took place. And even if it did, to provide him some sort of alibi, it most certainly didn't happen on MD.

He mixes information that came to light AFTER SM's disappearance with a narrative that was supposed to take place in real time from his perspective. And the issue of SM riding a bike is completely irrelevant to the question he was asked. Again, the comment was to push the narrative of somehow the bike and SM riding it the reason she's disappeared.

Now I do understand if someone is under immense emotional and psychological distress you could jumble up the timeline and after telling a story so many times it may come out as rehearsed but I don't think this is what's happening here. He's been throwing out scenarios like throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks.

I agree- my family (not me) runs a similar business(s) and none of that is too out of the ordinary.

However, I just wonder what LE had to show the judge to get them them to sign off on a warrant to dig up that slab.

Perhaps the homeowner was "hey, as long as you fix it when you're done go ahead" and the Judge didn't require a high bar because the homeowner was on-board.

fiction: Homeowner realizes too late that they forgot to design an opening for stairway to basement. Calls in a tip based on the reality that husband of missing woman prepped the area in readiness for cement workers to lay foundation and remembers something funny about a very specific area that needs investigating. LE breaks up concrete, finds nothing, but homeowner now has opening in concrete.

I totally stole that plot from a Wings episode where Roy Biggins pretended to have a buried treasure in his backyard. People snuck in during the night and dug a huge hole. Roy needed the hole dug for a hot tub.

Seriously, it could have been anyone, neighbor or visitor seeing that SM was missing and recognized the name as the contractor who was there that Sunday. It would have been a lame move to bury someone where you were working on the other hand, it is a river front property.

I hope we find out where in the community, or for that matter what community is being canvased. Chafee County is pretty large so they must have some idea as to where to focus a house to house canvas. What questions are they going to ask and how specific are those questions going to be.

Surely they must have canvassed the neighbourhood before this? I'm not overly keen on the searching 'this county' chat, I really hope that's them just being coy. They gotta have phone/(car?) data etc in by now right?

10 searches though, with absolutely no help from the fire buddies or volunteers, to purposely keep bm out the loop?

My heart breaks for her daughters.

I wonder if on their canvass they will be asking for the home surveillance footage they've asked residents to save.

Community canvass makes it sound, to me, like they are canvassing all people living in a certain area, not necessarily just people who know her. My only question is: do you think people will remember seeing someone they don't personally know four weeks later? I hope they are able to get something to go on or get whatever info they are after, but I worry about that.

By canvassing, they get face-to-face "interviews" without having to request or subpoena them to come to the station. Informal, less stress because they're comfortable on their own ground, or more stress because LE is at their home. It wouldn't be the first time a victim had been close by at their abductor's home in the same neighborhood. :/

You never know who and what you'll come across when going door-to-door. I imagine most will be welcoming, but someone who balks and demands a warrant might be hiding something.

I wonder if they'll be taking any of the dogs with them?

Ita.

LE just have no idea WHERE Suzanne is.

And imo-- local LE and other LE departments (Fbi , Cbi, etc.) have been both diligent and competent in this investigation.

I don't think it makes them happy to be sent on a wild goose chase after a supposed bike ride that never happened.
Because that's what it seems like after the latest press release !

I don’t think this is a wild goose chase. I think they have a narrowed time frame of when SM disappeared (not Mother’s Day), and the are going out to seek tips about that specific window. It’s possible they are going to ask for security surveillance tapes from that window, looking for the direction of a POI’s travel. Hopefully someone saw something that will lead to finding SM.

MOO

10 searches though, with absolutely no help from the fire buddies or volunteers, to purposely keep bm out the loop?

"Fire buddies" might compromise the investigation or the appearance of a fair and valid investigation because BM is affiliated with them.

"Volunteers" aren't needed to conduct searches and aren't wanted -- possibly because LE doesn't want them trampling any areas where they might be looking for signs of a burial.

Recall this practice used after little Sway Swetlick went missing and trained investigators went door to do asking questions. Trained investigators also know the type of questions to ask. See something, say something. Moving the convo out of rumor and/or social media mode. This is good news!

Bumping my post to add that FBI was going door to door interviewing or questioning the community.

WLTX saw FBI agents going door to door, asking questions to neighbors, and searching near the family's home.

FBI joins search for missing 6-year-old SC girl

Suzanne Morphew disappearance: Sheriff announces county-wide canvass

On Wednesday, the sheriff’s office announced plans to conduct a community canvass in the county where more than two dozen officers will question residents and others who knew Morphew in hopes of generating new information in the case, according to a Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office news release. The FBI and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation are assisting the sheriff’s office.

In his ramblings he states: "So I told my wife, I said, 'Listen, the girls are gonna be home; they want to spend Mother's Day with you. Mind if I go get started with this?"

Isn't the first clue to a lie that someone gives too much unnecessary detail? It totally sounds like it's made to establish last contact. Would be very interesting to know the genesis of the camping trip - did Dad arrange all of it to make sure it was someplace with no cell service?

Hi oviedo
I don't know if the following has been posted, discussed or discounted but just in case you want to add to the timeline:

The mom-of-two - who previously worked as a middle-school teacher in Indiana - was last active on social media the day before her disappearance.

She posted a picture to Facebook with her two daughters with the word 'Blessed' placed over the top.

Colorado mom, 49, vanishes after setting out on a Mother's Day bike ride | Daily Mail Online

I posted that information a couple of weeks ago but my comment was removed. I'm not sure why. Accessing a FB account in a home could probably be done by anyone who lived there. I could see it being legit if the picture was taken the same day it was posted but if it was an image taken recently but before the girls went camping in Idaho, it doesn't really prove much. Especially since I can't see the girls being in CO the day before MD if they were coming back from Idaho on MD. IMO

Edited to add: I see there has been clarification that the picture was taken a year previously. Apologies. Must read faster.

ITA
It appears to me that his telling of the story reveals a couple of clues as to whether he was actually there on Mother's Day.

In his ramblings he states: "So I told my wife, I said, 'Listen, the girls are gonna be home; they want to spend Mother's Day with you. Mind if I go get started with this?" The awkward phrasing sounds like he's implying he was actually having that conversation with Suzanne ON Mother's Day. IMO I don't believe that conversation ever took place. And even if it did, to provide him some sort of alibi, it most certainly didn't happen on MD.

Snipped by me

I agree, it probably happened earlier. But I thought he meant, "Since you're going to be busy with the girls, do you mind if I go deal with work?"

ITA

He mixes information that came to light AFTER SM's disappearance with a narrative that was supposed to take place in real time from his perspective. And the issue of SM riding a bike is completely irrelevant to the question he was asked. Again, the comment was to push the narrative of somehow the bike and SM riding it the reason she's disappeared.

Now I do understand if someone is under immense emotional and psychological distress you could jumble up the timeline and after telling a story so many times it may come out as rehearsed but I don't think this is what's happening here. He's been throwing out scenarios like throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks.
Agree on all!

BM is shouting 'Look at the bike, not me'.

From today's press release, I get the feeling that someone being mentioned as a POI is getting closer. LE to 'focus on obtaining any new information in her case'. This 'new information' they are seeking may include tips, information, and confirmation on WHO placed the bike where it was found. I think LE is not listening to BM's loud cry.
JMO

Suzanne Morphew disappearance: Sheriff announces county-wide canvass

On Wednesday, the sheriff’s office announced plans to conduct a community canvass in the county where more than two dozen officers will question residents and others who knew Morphew in hopes of generating new information in the case, according to a Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office news release. The FBI and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation are assisting the sheriff’s office.
Why now? Why not four weeks ago?

fiction: Homeowner realizes too late that they forgot to design an opening for stairway to basement. Calls in a tip based on the reality that husband of missing woman prepped the area in readiness for cement workers to lay foundation and remembers something funny about a very specific area that needs investigating. LE breaks up concrete, finds nothing, but homeowner now has opening in concrete.

I totally stole that plot from a Wings episode where Roy Biggins pretended to have a buried treasure in his backyard. People snuck in during the night and dug a huge hole. Roy needed the hole dug for a hot tub.

Seriously, it could have been anyone, neighbor or visitor seeing that SM was missing and recognized the name as the contractor who was there that Sunday. It would have been a lame move to bury someone where you were working on the other hand, it is a river front property.
Architect? We don't need no stinkin Architects...

people can sometimes be so arrogant in their cleverness IMO - look at the Vallow children - buried on Chad Daybell's property. He was arrested yesterday.
JMO

I don’t think this is a wild goose chase. I think they have a narrowed time frame of when SM disappeared (not Mother’s Day), and the are going out to seek tips about that specific window. It’s possible they are going to ask for security surveillance tapes from that window, looking for the direction of a POI’s travel. Hopefully someone saw something that will lead to finding SM.

MOO
I agree, This may actually an indication they are actually moving beyond BM. IMO this canvassing should have been concurrent w investigation, so it may be second time around. Somebody may still have something that will help.

Why now? Why not four weeks ago?

I suspect the answer to that question is that it's because LE's progress to date has enabled them to narrow their focus considerably.

I don't believe for one second that they're out knocking on random doors across the county today.

They know when and where SM was last seen outside of the home, and they're working their timeline to see what additional evidence they can collect to continue following the trail…not only of SM, but of their (unnamed) suspect as well.

I think as a result of evidence analysis, they have some identified areas they'd like to canvas, specifically to ask for any video footage that businesses and/or homeowners might have saved from between May 8th - May 12th.

I think what we're seeing today is an example of how "way leads unto way."

One thing leads to another.

They're making headway.

JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors