Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO-stuff here...but I've always found LE's statement 'investigation revealed'... the bike ride: this was due to someone saying she'd gone on said ride & indeed finding the bike very quickly

However, since the bike ride has never been confirmed & if I'm correct never once mentioned by LE in their statements after that initial one PLUS - no mention of the bike ride in the release today...

LE knows the bike ride never happened & whomever suggested it is probably suspect numero uno

&.....I just can't help but feel that search of the property, the tearing up concrete, all those blatant pics of FBI sifting - it smacks a bit of LOOK OVER HERE to me

Maybe LE had every reason to search there but perhaps they wanted to see how any POI would react

ALSO perhaps it was a 'look over here' while they searched another area entirely, very quietly & with no fan-fare.....& that location was much more pertinent to the case

JMO
Perhaps while LE was digging beneath the concrete they had eyes on BM wherever else he was. IMO

I do not understand why they did not look at it right away. They are now interviewing everyone ???? Why do you think they didn't want to look at it first off?
bbm
I agree.

But-- what if there's something very specific that LE are looking at ???
One can hope, right ?

And they're canvassing the neighborhood and also keeping in mind a certain person's security footage, or something of that nature ?
Or LE have new information that's leading in a certain direction ?

And find it's all been overwritten??? That's what had several of us saying someone should be fired if it turns out they needed that footage and told people to "save" it, rather than collecting it at the time.

While I can't speak for the CCSO, I will assume they figured if folks have a security system, or a Ring/Nest type of set up, they already know how to save video from the dates mentioned. I got a Ring doorbell cam for Christmas and the first thing I did after installing it was read every word on how to set up the account, fine tune the motion detection, save & share video, etc. I think logically speaking, they might figure if they're smart enough to own one, they're savvy enough to know how to use one.

jmo

I really appreciate that indepth response and the fact that you have personal experience however while you have your little toe touching the fence, I have my heels dug in. It's just me. I just want that all dug up to be sure. Just how I am. Good thing I am not in charge, huh?
There is one rule and there is always an exception to the rule.
I also once met a guy who said he was an expert in art masterpiece reproductions at an art museum. There are people who can pull it off, although rare.
I totally agree. Perhaps the homeowner is construction savvy, and felt the search was extensive enough. I personally want that reassurance. W/o being on the ground I really am confident here, concrete work is
Complex, there are rocks thruout that have to be worked down to get the smooth top, there is rebar, pipes, and so on. What you say is 100% correct, I would probably have demanded that LE clear my foundationIMO the owner was the driving force here... If construction is continuing that tells me homeowner is satisfied... key point also BM would have been obvious if he had been around, and anything he did would have taken a significant amount of effort and time. This is kinda big, for me...I am not trying to convince anyone, but I can actually check this off my own checklist.
Some people can manage very well by encouraging participation based on motivating others in ways they are enthusiastic about. And others manage by being a tell and not and ask kind of guy. Well said there Branmuffin.
My husband thinks he is in charge... our children know otherwise. This tells me more about Suzanne than BM. She is comfortable having him take charge, not threatened.

I do not understand why they did not look at it right away. They are now interviewing everyone ???? Why do you think they didn't want to look at it first off?

I suspect they looked at some of the security tapes early on. For example, to confirm or not that SM left on a bike ride Mother's Day morning.

And now they are seeking new information, and possibly more tapes, based on a better idea of when she went missing. Asking new questions, based on new information.

A hint of that may be the “share” wording. LE is going to canvas and share...what? I suspect they will be sharing the actual time span when she disappeared, and asking for tips and tapes related to that specifically. They didn’t know that 4 weeks ago to ask.

MOO

If LE has determined that SM went missing before Mother's Day, BM's entire version of events has been exposed as being a total fabrication.

Simply stated: If they've been able to determine that, he's toast.

That's a big IF, of course.

JMO.
I agree completely.

That TD interview haunts me daily...such a treasure trove of deception. When BM had the opportunity to explain when SM was last known to be in contact with anyone and didn’t seize it, but instead paused for something like 8-9 seconds before uttering “Well, it was Mother’s Day...” and then mentioning Sunday three times... he speaks volumes IMO. We shall see ...

My theory, when I first read that they asked people to save their footage, was that they already knew what happened. If it turns out that they really needed that footage, it's the kind of thing a defense attorney will use to make the entire investigation look like the Three Stooges.

BBM:

LE did not say they are "interviewing everyone."
They said they would be canvassing people who live in the county "and others."

Had they rounded up the entire county's worth of surveillance/security footage, it would have resulted in literally countless wasted hours.

I have no doubt they made much better use of their time in the early stages.
They collected digital and other forensic evidence.
Then they analyzed the evidence they collected.

Having done so, LE's now likely in a position where they're much better able to focus their efforts in areas that are more likely to pay them evidentiary dividends.

It sounds to me like LE is working with a great deal of efficiency.
They're "working smarter," not harder.

This ain't their first rodeo, folks.

JMO.

Last edited:
IMO, it is pitiful that they have only conducted 10 large scale searches in 30 days. We know that 2 or 3 of the searches were digging concrete. If they are not going to search for Suzanne in the area she went missing, it would be appropriate to let volunteers search. Maybe some bounty hunters will start searching for her if the reward is available to them.

I volunteer with my local SAR in terrain that is much less intimidating than this area and the reason they don't accept untrained volunteers is due to safety concerns. That doesn't stop anyone who is riding their mtn bike or going for a hike out on the local trails to keep an eye out for anything that could be pertinent, but the last thing any search need is to have to suspend the search for the intended subject to find/assist missing searchers. Also, in the early days of a search, people need to be kept out to allow the working dogs the best chance at doing what they do best - finding people!

10 large scale searches in 30 days is quite honestly a lot more than a lot of missing persons get (there are so many that never even get a thread on websleuths or a mention in media). In my area, they are likely to suspend a search anywhere from 3-7 days. We have a team that creates the search tasks and when they can not reasonably determine more areas to deploy searchers to, it is suspended until new information surfaces that may hopefully yield a more fruitful direction. Based on the info LE was given, they likely have searched all the "reasonable" areas more than once and now are in need of new information to warrant further searches or new areas.

I am more on the fence than most on this thread, but leaning based on LE's search of the worksite. We will only know more when LE wants us to, so for now I just read through everyone's speculation and enjoy coming across the informative posts by experts.

F
That’s great news. I have been following another case that has been moving really fast and then saw the post here that authorities may go canvassing door to door.

I am hoping Suzanne can be found. From the beginning of this case, I have wondered why authorities didn’t talk to residents and get more information. Maybe now they will review security video from other homes.
Fremont County?! IMO this may be recanvas, and heads up, if LE showed up unexpectedly my brain goes blank, this gives residents a chance to think and make note of it. JMHO, there may be someone sitting on such a note , thinking it insignificant, this makes perfect sense to me.

I'm not LE... but this is one possibility : What if someone said they were at one place -- but their gps or phone pings showed them somewhere else ?
Then LE might want to look at certain footage from those stores or houses.

So LE could be performing an intricate and specific search.
The reasons are unknown to the public but important nonetheless.
Imo.

Last edited:
Perhaps while LE was digging beneath the concrete they had eyes on BM wherever else he was. IMO

I think LE has eyes on him every second starting: May 10th

Maybe my Pollyanna-landia tendency - but that property search was a bit of a media circus. There you had these clear pictures of the FBI in their very clearly marked 'FBI' vests sifting, sifting sifting....

Maybe it was a deliberate dog&pony show to:

1) see what their POI(s) would do while squirming on the hook for 3 days
2) have the attention elsewhere while they very quietly worked & searched another area

JMO
& I admit I hope my Pollyanna-landia thoughts are accurate...though I don't doubt for a second that LE has a very good idea of the perp(s) in this case regardless of the motives for the property search

If they have determined SM went missing before Mother’s Day, that puts BM’s story in serious question.
I agree, but we have absolutely no real evidence she did not go missing that morning. We have speculation only. I believe the requests for surveillance prior to MD may be in case a stalker could have videoed. Or an attempt to follow up on the suspicious car report, was it seen in advance? This would be important to me! Perhaps a disguised abductor could be on video, not so disguised...one can only hope.

I have a terrible feeling that the last conversation they had was not that pleasant and accommodating.moo
Yes, Per BM, he told his wife that he is going to work since the girls are coming to spend the day with her. SM then said 'that's fine' but promptly go for a bike ride? When the girls are coming to spend time with her? Who does that?

This conversation did not happen. Not anything close to it. Because there was no Mothers Day for Suzanne.

Is it possible to do that? How big was the site? What would be destroyed if they did that? And I wonder if insurance would cover and costs to fix any damage.
GPR ,or ground penetrating radar (if that's in fact what they used at the site), can see through cement only if it's been freshly poured. How long that time frame is, I don't know.

^^sbbm

^^sbbm

Seriously?!

I don't know how else to read these comments other than a direct implication that something nefarious is going on with the entire Chaffee County Sheriff's office, entire CBI, entire FBI, and others where "they" don't want her found and therefore disappeared forever. :eek:

This isn't a movie, and certainly no basis to state "they" don't want SM found!

This is the life of wife, mother, daughter.

That's not how investigations work in Chaffee County Colorado or elsewhere for that matter.

MOO
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Law enforcement LIVES to make cases against perpetrators and put away criminals. I’m doubtful of the theory that LE is intentionally trying to derail their own investigation.

Yes, Per BM, he told his wife that he is going to work since the girls are coming to spend the day with her. SM then said 'that's fine' but promptly go for a bike ride? When the girls are coming to spend time with her? Who does that?

This conversation did not happen. Not anything close to it. Because there was no Mothers Day for Suzanne.

Eh, I’d do that. I would get in my bike ride in the morning if I were expecting my kids around, say, lunchtime or later.

In this case, I agree it didn’t happen.

I think you’ve planned to be on the Lori Vallow thread, there is a Fremont County involved in Idaho but not this one in Salida
Actually there is also one in CO. Posted on the latest press report. Salida is in CHAFFEE county, What towns in Fremont?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member