Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
The homeowner told a reporter that he’d known BM for 3 weeks. I thought that was odd, but it sounds like the homeowner must’ve been present at the building site.

Finding Suzanne Morphew: Investigators Search Husband's Job Site Near Salida

The owner of the property told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger that he has known Barry Morphew for three weeks. The river front property was undergoing improvement. Concrete was laid over the dirt.

The initial permit was issued by the Chaffee County Building Department on December 17, 2019. Anyone can look on Google Earth and see that the site has changed dramatically. The demolition and prep work turning it into the present building site required extensive use of a landscaping contractor. The homeowner met BLM three weeks before May 22, 2020. I think it's a given that the homeowner was not the person who scheduled the work of sub-contractors on that building site.
So when and where exactly did the homeowner meet BLM? I have no idea. Rick Sallinger didn't ask. IMO

At the link, fill the "Permit Number" box with:

Building Department Permit Search By Permit Number

Between Sunday May 10th and Wednesday May 13th these are the people/resources that were actively looking for & utilized in the search Suzanne:

Chaffee County Search and Rescue
Department of Corrections
Chaffee County Combined Tac Team
Drone Operators
Tracking and Scent Dogs
Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado
Colorado Parks and Wildlife
South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams
Reach Air Ambulance
Chaffee County Sheriffs Office
Investigators from the 11th Judicial District
CBI

Salida PD
Fremont County Sheriff
FBI
Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

I would surmise, with that many experts in their fields, actively working this case, they might actually know what they're doing, without any assistance, or input from the general public. Which is why, I will guess, they have not asked for the public's assistance. (except for the tip line, they have not asked for any help searching, as in volunteer searchers)
I trust them to do what they're trained to do, conduct this investigation the way they know how to do it, and bring justice for Suzanne.
No matter who it ends up being that disappeared her, or how long it takes.

jmo
Bam!!

Canvassing now shows due diligence, plus it's a tactical move too IMO.

They may have a piece or string of evidence they did not have in the first few days, something to present to locals to see if it shakes ant recollections loose.

They may be hoping to keep that discovery out of the public eye so as not to alert any POIs. Same with the poster. Surely to solicit credible tips but IMO to relax any POIs. We're looking over here, not there. Conversely the poster and canvassing could also serve to ramp up pressure on any would-be POI, one who might desperately want to know what LE knows.

I'm reminded of that odd response -- it's too soon. Of course it'd be too soon if one was waiting on LE to tip its hand. As in, I will make a plea of some sort just as soon as I see which of my stories LE buys.

All JMO
Also Bam!!

You might want to look up data about decomp and when the earliest hits on body decomp can take place.

If he only had the. body in his truck for 2 hours after death, there would not be enough cadaverine (especially if the body was above a dirt layer). I think this is one reason Kelsey Berreth didn't show up in cadaverine searches of PF's truck - only in the barn where they think the plastic container sat, much later than 2 hours after her death.

Indeed, one could expect that a criminal planning a murder might look into this.

Really, breakdown of a mammalian body doesn't start until about 12 hours and doesn't produce detectable amounts of cadaverine (as judged by both dogs and electronic sniffers) until at least 24 hours.

If the body was in the truck (within a pile of dirt) for 24-48 hrs, most of the scent would be in the dirt. At any rate, somewhere along a road somewhere, there would have to be a pile of dirt - or a newly dug grave. Or the dirt is inside a mine shaft, I guess. When it gets that elaborate, my brains are scrambled.

So I think someone could easily have used a truck to transport the body, if it was done soon, and the dogs would not hit on said truck, if examined.

Thanks for your input. I don't profess to be an expert on my application of science to my theory. However, I did base it on numerous articles regarding cadaver dogs and the speed in which they discern decomposing human bodies. In one study a recently deceased corpse (three hours) was placed on some squares of carpet for differing times. Here's the link to the article. The CSI death dogs: Sniffing out the truth behind the crime-scene

As you can see the dogs could discern the carpet square with 94% accuracy that had only been under the corpse for two minutes.

Here's another article that illustrates the incredible ability cadaver dogs have to detect when a body has been placed even though it's no longer there.
3 Reasons Not to Leave a Dead Body on the Carpet

There have been discussions regarding the issue of SM being killed in the home and whether or not dogs could pick up a scent but it depended on how quickly the body was removed. Obviously, the longer the body remains the more likely it gives off the chemicals the dogs pick up.

If subsequent use of the truck also involved transporting more dirt in preparation for pouring a concrete slab, could vestiges of the original dirt mixed with the new load provide enough scent for a cadaver dog to signal? That was my theory.

As for the location of the deceased person, it could be ten miles away or 200 because no one knows when BM left for Denver. But it had to be after the girls went camping and we don't know when that was, either.
JMO

Could a sworn statement from a neighbor of the construction site that he / she saw BLM working there on Sunday be that something that's not vague?

No. IMO that wouldn’t be anywhere close to enough to establish probable cause that a crime was committed and evidence could be found there. There has to be something more.

It might be interesting to hear what you and everyone else would require as a judge to establish that there is reasonable suspicion to indicate a crime was committed and that evidence could be found in a specific location, such that that location could be searched and even dismantled, in order to find evidence.

Remembering that the fourth amendment to the constitution holds that:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The initial permit was issued by the Chaffee County Building Department on December 17, 2019. Anyone can look on Google Earth and see that the site has changed dramatically. The demolition and prep work turning it into the present building site required extensive use of a landscaping contractor. The homeowner met BLM three weeks before May 22, 2020. I think it's a given that the homeowner was not the person who scheduled the work of sub-contractors on that building site.
So when and where exactly did the homeowner meet BLM? I have no idea. Rick Sallinger didn't ask. IMO

At the link, fill the "Permit Number" box with:

Building Department Permit Search By Permit Number

Maybe the homeowner is a residential developer?

Maybe the homeowner had a habit of visiting the site and watching the progress? I have a friend who did that. Every day at lunch, he’d leave the office and drive over to the site. Check progress. Chat with the contractors.

MOO

No. IMO that wouldn’t be anywhere close to enough to establish probable cause that a crime was committed and evidence could be found there. There has to be something more.

It might be interesting to hear what you and everyone else would require as a judge to establish that there is reasonable suspicion to indicate a crime was committed and that evidence could be found in a specific location, such that that location could be searched and even dismantled, in order to find evidence.

Remembering that the fourth amendment to the constitution holds that:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Great reminder -so they had to have something quite significant to do that search over that period of days then ? I don’t think it was about a missing person either - my guess is they have evidence of foul play in that warrant and that’s why it’s sealed
JMO

Honestly, my stance in regards to the search for SM - I would stand firm that we do not know what the dogs did or did not track.

IMO, perhaps she was tracked down her driveway to her mailbox - because she got the mail that day. Maybe she was in the driveway, then gone because she got into a car and left. Maybe those were aged tracks, maybe not. Maybe there was no indication that she went down her driveway at all recently. Maybe a track led to the water search or these other organized searches, maybe not. The recovered personal item - I'm going to assume they closed that area off to give the dogs the best shot in searching that area.

IMO, the time duration scent stays around also depends. Again, the environment and weather makes a difference. The training of the dog & handler matters. Some might say 2 days in a wilderness setting, a little under 24 hours in an urban setting. Many dog teams have successfully performed beyond that.

I believe we have a verified mantracker on the board. Perhaps they could provide some insight. I cannot remember the name however?
@Trackergd i think?
Thank you for your insight

Has it been verified that a SW was obtained for that property? It sounded like the owner was cooperating and thus the search could have been consensual and no warrant needed.

The spouse of the missing person would not have standing to challenge the search of this property.

There is no way that a search warrant would not be sought regardless of consent. That would be super risky and be outside the bounds of any police protocol in the nation in a case of this magnitude.

I guarantee there was a search warrant.

Maybe the homeowner is a residential developer?

Maybe the homeowner had a habit of visiting the site and watching the progress? I have a friend who did that. Every day at lunch, he’d leave the office and drive over to the site. Check progress. Chat with the contractors.

MOO
It's so striking to me that you would associate eating lunch with home ownership and building sites! It makes me hungry, and wanting to watch the Food Network, and build something, all at the same time! JMO

Well of course it would occur to me and I imagine most anyone posting on or reading this website. But that’s not who this canvass is targeting. This is for the people who don’t follow the story slavishly and don’t know they have seen something of interest but, when prompted, might remember seeing a woman with a teal helmet riding at some point a month or so ago. But at this point, the exact day they saw her has to be lost to the vagaries of memory.
IMO:

Most people don't slavishly follow missing person or crime case stories. People who have an interest in true crime often do. The general public watches the news, reads a newspaper or reads things online or on social media. Chances are if they've done any of those things or even spoken to a friend and they live in the immediate Salida area, they'll know and they'll also know LE is seeking tips about sightings.

A canvassing might be trying to reach certain people to talk to within a specific area.

/IMO

Regards the timing of the canvassing:

It really interesting that Saladia has a population of about ~6,000 residents; and all of Chaffee County is ~20,000 residents. Yet the police have received over 500 tips. On top of that, it’s such a remote area so it’s no like a big city where you see a lot of coming and going or noticing what others are up to.

That seems like an extraordinary amount of tips given the small population.

It seems like this weeks canvassing would definitely be a targeted approach because they’ve already cast the wide net so to speak (and may have done an initial canvas that we don’t know about too).

But why so many tips? The M’s had only lived in that town for less than 2 years. Did the community have interactions with SM or BM that cause them to really want to help the police? Were SM and BM more interwoven in the community than we’ve learned so far?

That really is a lot of voluntary information for such a small town/county.

It really interesting that Saladia has a population of about ~6,000 residents; and all of Chaffee County is ~20,000 residents. Yet the police have received over 500 tips.

It seems like this weeks canvassing would definitely be a targeted approach because they’ve already cast the wide net so to speak (and may have done an initial canvas that we don’t know about too).

But why so many tips? The M’s had only lived in that town for less than 2 years. Did the community have interactions with SM or BM that cause them to really want to help the police? Were SM and BM more interwoven in the community than we’ve learned so far?

Does the 500 tips include; double tips or tips that had nothing to do with Suzanne? I wonder. Imo

It is alot indeed with the amount of residents but i do not have anything to compare it with really.

I'm interesting to know where your thoughts re BM's innocence are coming from, if you're happy to share?

This case just seems to have a curtain of silence like I haven't seen before. It gives me the impression that LE and family are trying to keep SM safe, as in she is being held against her will.

But to be honest it is all gut feeling, I genuinely see him talk and don't think he is lying. I also don't see any evidence presented to us that makes me believe he is guilty.

I have to admit, after being wrong on the HB case about her fiancee, if I am wrong here and he is guilty which the majority think, I will never again trust my judgment on human beings!

MOO

It really interesting that Saladia has a population of about ~6,000 residents; and all of Chaffee County is ~20,000 residents. Yet the police have received over 500 tips.

I wouldn't assume that all of those tips are from people local to the community. Many of them are likely to be from people in IN (or elsewhere) who know/knew the Ms and felt they had some bit of information that could assist the investigation. Maybe people in the Denver area called in as well. For instance, recall the man from IN who, early on, related his very negative experience with BM at a construction site around the time the Ms were getting ready to move to CO. People from anywhere may have seen something suspicious during their travels and decided to call in.

There is no way that a search warrant would not be sought regardless of consent. That would be super risky and be outside the bounds of any police protocol in the nation in a case of this magnitude.

I guarantee there was a search warrant.
But the Fourth Amendment rights of anyone other than this homeowner wouldn't apply to a search of this site, correct? So if the police have the third-party consent of the owner to show the judge, would any of the other conditions about showing a crime was committed, etc, need to be presented to the judge? Those conditions do not seem to be a requirement for third party consent for police searches without a search warrant, which have been deemed constitutional.

IMO:

500 calls to the tip line is not that much when you consider LE gets tips from a variety of people: wannabe psychics, those who think they need to tell LE how to do their job, people who want to offer their theories. Actual real info is often but a tiny fraction, but they have to wade through all the flotsam to ferret it out. We don't know that all 500 calls have come in from the Salida area or even in CO. I bet calls have come in from all over the place.

Yes, as far as I can tell, which is quite frustrating.
In the last month, since Suzanne’s disappearance, not one named individual (of which I’m currently aware) has come forward to give a positive comment on the Morphew’s marriage or BM’s character. Not exactly a glowing recommendation from the friends and family. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonsuli