Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes thanks Tate123 I found it. Thornton is just north of Aurora. I watched something that mentioned the Sand Creek Park & Sand Creek Riparian (I think that means birds?) Preserve Trail located in Aurora. Anyway don’t think it’s allowed for discussion here but it is very large park just outside Denver with lots of wilderness, trails & water. :rolleyes: I wish we knew where all of LE’s other searches took place and if there were any near Denver.

Riparian means "along the side of a river or creek." In Colorado, usually means more trees and plants than without a river. But it would have the creek flowing through. I think we can discuss Sand Creek all we want - but we have no way of tying it to this case (yet).

But it's interesting that so many different kinds of places exist not too far from Maysville.

It’s interesting. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a last second thing, and he perhaps moved up the day they were to start. He needed an alibi after all.

In any event, law enforcement would have thoroughly vetted this.
It does make sense that it was real, in that he needed a real alibi. Though if it was illegitimate, LE wouldn’t tell us about it.

Riparian means "along the side of a river or creek." In Colorado, usually means more trees and plants than without a river. But it would have the creek flowing through. I think we can discuss Sand Creek all we want - but we have no way of tying it to this case (yet).

But it's interesting that so many different kinds of places exist not too far from Maysville.

Lol :D where did I get birds from?! Maybe because I read it was a great place for bird watching! And the -ian like avian? Well I should not have been lazy and googled it...anyway learned something new today so thank you!

I’ve been trying to look at maps and sleuth some other location possibilities where someone could hide a body. Somewhere close to a place they should be where someone could leave their phone for an hour and go dispose of a body and come back. Someplace without a lot of people around and no cameras with lots of wilderness and water. Maybe someplace they have been before with Suzanne to ride mountain bikes? Today I saw something that brought Sand Creek Park to my attention and specifically that nature preserve trail. It’s in Aurora close to Denver (and Northrop) and in addition to the main gate entrance there is a little parking lot near the trail that is hidden from the road. First and foremost we all want Suzanne to be found and brought home to her family for a proper burial and closure if she is in fact deceased. But we also know that finding her remains would be a game changer and might lead to an arrest much sooner. I go back and forth between thinking she will never be found because she is hidden so well in the remote mountain wilderness or down a mine or may have been burned or worse - > to thinking maybe we are giving the perpetrator too much credit and maybe they were panicked and in a hurry and she was buried quickly or put into a body of water somewhere else away from the Maysville area. I hope BM’s truck movements can be tracked. For all we know LE could have already searched that park with scent dogs. And of course if SM was abducted and BM is innocent then looking for locations near Denver may be futile.

Great points.

See that is the thing. It was the very first night and he just got there. Trying to put myself in that situation if I really was working out of town and my spouse went missing. Being angry at the people trying to find my wife is not one of the emotions I would have expected to have that first evening.

These are the emotions I would have expected to have after just arriving on scene at 9pm that first night:

*Shock
*Confusion
*Being emotionally upset (crying type upset)
*Being scared and afraid of what could have happened to her

And then I would hope I would quickly shift to
"Search Mode" and start to work with LE and anyone else there to do whatever it takes to start looking for her

That very first night, the furthest thing on my mind would be to start getting angry at the LE people who were there to help me.

I understand and would expect LE would probably ask me where I was and some other personal questions, but unless they started to get mean and accusatory right away (i doubt that happened unless they had good reason to), then I see no reason of being angry at the people trying to help figure out where she is.

Search Mode and Search planning for the next day should have been the main focus for all that were present that first night.

I've thought about this too. I'm not sure I'd be crying. I'm pretty tough and have been through family emergencies that involved a missing person. I can't really describe my state well, I was confused and upset and wanted help and answers. I actually was really quiet and grim.

However, the main goal was to get the people who were supposed to be helping (police, mental health team, friends) to HELP. I was angry at no one, I felt helpless and even ashamed (I didn't disappear anyone, but someone, they had run away and disappeared on my watch). Main point: I wanted HELP.

LE asked me a bunch of questions. Was he on drugs? How did I know for sure? What drugs were in the house? And of course, a bunch of stuff about what he was wearing and where I last saw him. Whether he had every done LSD (no...no drugs!) Was he armed? Did we have a gun. Were there other weapons in the house. Was he suicidal (yes). Etc.

I don't remember sleeping at all that day or night or the next day either. I can't imagine being anything but exhausted, especially when successive waves of LE and others ask the same questions. I remember wanting sleep and a shower, but realizing that was less important than finding my family member.

Great points.

See that is the thing. It was the very first night and he just got there. Trying to put myself in that situation if I really was working out of town and my spouse went missing. Being angry at the people trying to find my wife is not one of the emotions I would have expected to have that first evening.

These are the emotions I would have expected to have after just arriving on scene at 9pm that first night:

*Shock
*Confusion
*Being emotionally upset (crying type upset)
*Being scared and afraid of what could have happened to her

And then I would hope I would quickly shift to
"Search Mode" and start to work with LE and anyone else there to do whatever it takes to start looking for her

That very first night, the furthest thing on my mind would be to start getting angry at the LE people who were there to help me.

I understand and would expect LE would probably ask me where I was and some other personal questions, but unless they started to get mean and accusatory right away (i doubt that happened unless they had good reason to), then I see no reason of being angry at the people trying to help figure out where she is.

Search Mode and Search planning for the next day should have been the main focus for all that were present that first night.
Exactly! It makes no sense to me.

I've thought about this too. I'm not sure I'd be crying. I'm pretty tough and have been through family emergencies that involved a missing person. I can't really describe my state well, I was confused and upset and wanted help and answers. I actually was really quiet and grim.

However, the main goal was to get the people who were supposed to be helping (police, mental health team, friends) to HELP. I was angry at no one, I felt helpless and even ashamed (I didn't disappear anyone, but someone, they had run away and disappeared on my watch). Main point: I wanted HELP.

LE asked me a bunch of questions. Was he on drugs? How did I know for sure? What drugs were in the house? And of course, a bunch of stuff about what he was wearing and where I last saw him. Whether he had every done LSD (no...no drugs!) Was he armed? Did we have a gun. Were there other weapons in the house. Was he suicidal (yes). Etc.

I don't remember sleeping at all that day or night or the next day either. I can't imagine being anything but exhausted, especially when successive waves of LE and others ask the same questions. I remember wanting sleep and a shower, but realizing that was less important than finding my family member.
That must have been a very difficult thing to go through. I imagine sometimes it was exasperating to have to answer the same questions over and over, but that is not the same thing as being angry at the folks who are there trying to help.

I totally agree.

For me, I got the impression that it wasnt so much that he was mad at them about their procedures even though that is how he vented it, but I felt he was mad and upset that LE did not see the bike scene and come to a certain conclusion on it as it was intended to portray a specific conclusion to those discovering it.

When LE did not come to the same conclusion as it was intended to show, he lost it. JMO of course.
ITA. LE was never supposed to turn around and look at him. They were supposed to follow the “abductor’s” trail. And that led away from the house and from him.

ITA. LE was never supposed to turn around and look at him. They were supposed to follow the “abductor’s” trail. And that led away from the house and from him.
And I find that sort of behavior pretty remarkable.

These guys, regardless of their intelligence level, just don’t understand the way things appear to those who investigate crimes.

They try to sell the unsellable, and frequently do it in a way that would be laughable, if not for the gravity of the situation.

I’m dying to know what it was that told LE things were not as they appeared.

Lol :D where did I get birds from?! Maybe because I read it was a great place for bird watching! And the -ian like avian? Well I should not have been lazy and googled it...anyway learned something new today so thank you!

I’ve been trying to look at maps and sleuth some other location possibilities where someone could hide a body. Somewhere close to a place they should be where someone could leave their phone for an hour and go dispose of a body and come back. Someplace without a lot of people around and no cameras with lots of wilderness and water. Maybe someplace they have been before with Suzanne to ride mountain bikes? Today I saw something that brought Sand Creek Park to my attention and specifically that nature preserve trail. It’s in Aurora close to Denver (and Northrop) and in addition to the main gate entrance there is a little parking lot near the trail that is hidden from the road. First and foremost we all want Suzanne to be found and brought home to her family for a proper burial and closure if she is in fact deceased. But we also know that finding her remains would be a game changer and might lead to an arrest much sooner. I go back and forth between thinking she will never be found because she is hidden so well in the remote mountain wilderness or down a mine or may have been burned or worse - > to thinking maybe we are giving the perpetrator too much credit and maybe they were panicked and in a hurry and she was buried quickly or put into a body of water somewhere else away from the Maysville area. I hope BM’s truck movements can be tracked. For all we know LE could have already searched that park with scent dogs. And of course if SM was abducted and BM is innocent then looking for locations near Denver may be futile.

It IS a great place for bird watching. I only know the word because Husband decided to plant one in our yard (but with no creek). We're in one of those neighborhoods where people have dry creek landscaping - so we have that. But he wants birds, so...we have ash trees and if I'd permit it, he'd have cottonwood (like in Utah and some parts of CO).

The Morphews definitely live in one. The river was running at higher than average/but moderate flow on the day Suzanne was reported missing. Snow melt had started.

How long did this perpetrator have? If there was an actual bike ride, then only from around 10 am to 5:45 pm.

If there was no bike ride, then...since May 8 (since she was apparently seen on the 7th in town). Pretty sure his truck movements can be tracked - perhaps by more than one method. New methods arise every once in a while.

The river would have been loud-ish. Whoever did this may have known that, and it's possible (as some here have conjectured) that there were noises, perhaps a couple of loud noises - but no one would have heard except, perhaps that one neighbor. But doubtful anything in the house could be heard (or in the driveway - or even where the bike was apparently found). Only a super loud piercing noise (treble, like a scream) might have cut through. A single shot from a rifle could be confused for the crack of rocks in the spring run-off. It would probably cut through, but it's not going to sound like a human scream.

So no one heard either, as far as we know. Neighbor has talked a little, hasn't mentioned any noises. (The other neighbor is the one who heard noises near the construction site - I think).

As in Barbara Thomas's case, there was an opportunity for a crime that looked as if someone completely vanished. I think there's a chance that in both cases, someone took advantage of a situation. In Barbara's case, sound might have carried a great distance - but there was no one within miles. In Suzanne's case, her voice might have barely been audible from .1 mile away - due to distance and river.

I've always been surprised at the way creeks in Colorado push rocks and they make grinding, cracking sounds - it's lovely, really, but also makes a person aware how strong smallish rocks can be. My imagination starts to work overtime.

Good thinking Lilypad. And especially if
BM had access to a different vehicle at his job site, it would be a good bet that he might try to hide her up there, like you say, somewhere he could go and get back shortly. He could leave his phone in his own truck. He could say he was "setting up" that job while he was away from his phone.
Moo

These guys, regardless of their intelligence level, just don’t understand the way things appear to those who investigate crimes.

They try to sell the unsellable, and frequently do it in a way that would be laughable, if not for the gravity of the situation.

That makes two of us.

Me too! Wish a reporter could do a PRR for 911 calls from that address. I've also surmised that maybe an attorney came forward who Suzanne had been in recent contact with. Or maybe it's as simple as someone she confided in, like a Pastor or never before mentioned confidant.

Last edited:
Me too! Wish a reporter could do a PRR for 911 calls from that address. I've also surmised that maybe an attorney came forward who Suzanne had been in recent contact with. Or maybe it's as simple as someone she confided in, like a Pastor or never before mentioned confidant.
A therapist has crossed my mind, as well as a Pastor.

When I first watched TD's video an heard the contempt in BM's voice when he trash talks the way the investigation was being handled from the very first evening on scene, that was really a big, fat, red flag for me.

His attitude about the LE in charge and on scene spoke volumes.
Same as his attitude about media.

I completely agree with you, and Shakespeare.

And this was BM's attitude and demeanor almost 3 weeks later when he talked to TD! Yes, BM as still blaming police without any regard for the efforts the CCSO, CBI, and FBI had been making during the past weeks, trying to locate his missing wife. :eek:

Good thinking Lilypad. And especially if
BM had access to a different vehicle at his job site, it would be a good bet that he might try to hide her up there, like you say, somewhere he could go and get back shortly. He could leave his phone in his own truck. He could say he was "setting up" that job while he was away from his phone.
Moo
I have been struggling with that question---is she near Denver, or closer to home?

I am leaning towards her being eventually found closer to home. Two reasons.

One, if she is ever found just outside Denver, everyone would KNOW who put her there, instantly.

Two, I try to imagine having my husband's dead body in my Explorer. [not really,lol]

But would I want to drive for 2 and a half hours with a dead body in my truck?

And wouldn't he want to do the disposal in darkness? So what time would he have to drive to get there at a suitable time to hide a body? He wouldn't want to park at the hotel or at a family members home with the body still in the vehicle...

So it feels to me that the best option would be to get up at 3 or 4 am and dispose of the body closer to home. Safer overall, and it could still work that a random stalker did the crime. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G@$p•