Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
other, completely speculative options:

-A confidant of SM came forward with info. Something like ‘SM texted me this week and said if she goes missing to _______’

-A prior history of the M family that is known by LE but not public

-Not just a visual clue at the home but perhaps a scent. What if a specific part of the house smelled strongly of cleaner. Or visually, a large quantity of empty cleaner bottles seen.

This is obviously not an exhaustive list, just trying to throw out speculation on why LE seemed to be so focused on foul play so quickly.
Yeah, I’m backing off something being found in the house that night anyways.

I think they would have obtained a warrant and searched the house earlier than they did.

So I prefer something along the lines of what you suggested.

One more thought, if SM’s disappearance was indeed foul play, and any supplies had to be procured as part of the disappearance...

-Covid has limited most business’ hours
-Salina is pretty remote with limited options of stores to shop at
-I’m sure all of these stores have cameras
-Foot traffic is low at retail locations due to covid, making an individual shopper stand out more
-Some stores have opted not to take cash and instead go with card payments or more touchless options

That makes me curious about what, if anything, LE may have related to purchases that seem out of the ordinary during a given period of time.

I took a break for a couple of weeks, but check the web daily for an updates from MSM and reputable sources. I see nothing new, so I'll add my own tired, old refrains among the others.

My first thought would be to call LE and report that I heard heavy equipment running and worry that “someone may be trying to steal something from the construction site”. That would have recorded a date and time, but alas... I know, armchair quarterbacking, but I'm one who votes for calling the police when something's not right and I'm a woman alone. The worst that would happen would be a wasted journey for LE to inspect the property, feel the machinery for heat, etc. and find nothing. In NO way, would I think to go over there and check for myself. I'd be keeping my lights off in the hopes that any potential bad guys wouldn't know I was there.

I'm paraphrasing, but it has been reported in MSM: LE made the statement that nobody has been “formally” cleared only means that nobody has been “formally” cleared - I can interpret that to mean that BM has been investigated up the wazoo and they know he had nothing to do with it, but they aren't going to “formally” announce anything just to suit the public's interest. They rarely “formally” declare someone's not a suspect. It happens, but it's rare. Big whoop. They could have just declared that nobody has been cleared, but they didn't. Yes, I know of the second SW for the M's home. It could be that something came up in the investigation that directed them specifically to verify something there and they're making sure either way.

According to your interpretation of the statement, “nobody has been formally cleared”, it means that Barry has been investigated and LE know he had nothing to do with Suzanne’s disappearance.

If Barry has, in fact, been cleared by LE; then why did ID delete and remove their video? If their video was actually correct, why not leave it up?

Last edited:
Not necessarily because it depends on the specific hearing loss the neighbour has. There are different types and it depends what area of the ear is affected (middle or inner ear, nerve damage or not) and what frequencies the hearing loss is in. I've worn hearing aids since my 20s. I am my very own seismometer ;) ... I can sense mild vibration before other people even hear it. With or without hearing aids I know beforehand when a train, helicopter, elevator is coming before people with 'normal' hearing even hear it. Without hearing aids I don't hear people at all but can hear the dog's toenails on the floor. Even with hearing aids I might watch a duet and make out one singer's word perfectly clear and not make out the words of the other singer at all.
Not sure the above is helpful at all.
I have a trip to LA soon ...and would love to take you along. :)

It really is weird. Adding to the oddity is that nobody from Suzanne's family or circle of friends is commenting at all. Ordinarily -- even if police asked them not to talk -- one would expect at least one person to seek his/her 15 minutes in the limelight. The discipline that they've showed is extraordinary.

It’s untrue that nobody is talking. A friend of hers was interviewed recently and talked about her solidly in the past tense.

“Some days I would be in the chair next to her getting chemo. Suzanne was one of the nicest people I have met. She was always cheerful and had a great attitude about her cancer and life. She loved her daughters more than anything in this world and they loved her more than anything too. She would never just up and leave them, never!

Her daughters (one or both) would always be with her for her treatments. I saw Barry come in once, he was not overly friendly and seemed to be uncomfortable there. That is not unusual as it’s often hard for loved ones to be there.

Suzanne was so happy on the day of her last treatment. She was still coming in for maintenance treatments, but the chemo was done and she was doing great. She was supposed to come in for her maintenance the Monday after Mother’s day, but of course, did not show up. She was a bright light in this world. I really miss Suzanne and pray that justice is served.

FELLOW CANCER SURVIVOR
“You don’t just see beauty when Suzanne is around, you feel it”: Friends describe missing Chaffee County woman | FOX21 News Colorado-
——-
@Seattle1 (courtesy)
Quotes from LSharff Fox 21 on SM:

“You don’t just see beauty when Suzanne is around, you feel it”: Friends describe missing Chaffee County woman | FOX21 News Colorado

July 22, 2020

Family and friends spoked to FOX21 Digital NOW Suzanne, describing her as beautiful inside and out. The family still hopes Suzanne will come home.

“Suzanne has always been beautiful. Everything about her is beautiful you don’t just see beauty when Suzanne is around, you feel it. Suzanne loves Jesus and she loves like Jesus. Always with a sweet smile and a kind word. She has a peaceful presence about her. She loves her family. She is so thankful to be a Momma, it wasn’t a guarantee for her, not something she could assume would happen when she was ready. Jesus made a way. Not once but twice. Blessings upon blessings.

We have a lot of questions and to say we don’t understand why or how this could happen to precious Suzanne is an understatement. But I know that wherever Suzanne is He is with her and she is with Him. When I stumble and my faith becomes weak I think of Suzanne and know she would want me to praise Him in this storm. He didn’t promise we wouldn’t face them, but he promised we wouldn’t face them alone. Suzanne is so very loved, to know her is to love her. Please help us find her.”

AMBER HEIFNER AIMAN, SECOND COUSIN

“She was one of those people that would make you feel happy when you saw her,” Karry Wooddell said. “She was someone who would make you feel comfortable and she was so kind and open and would do anything for you.”

Wooddell met Suzanne at the gym after she moved to Colorado in the fall of 2018. Their daughters play high school volleyball together. Wooddelln said she considered Suzanne to be one of her best friends.

“She was super fit and you could tell she loved working out and loved being at the gym and, so, instantly we hit it off and started talking about our workouts and what we were doing,” Wooddell explained. “It was fun to get to see the two of them working out together and you could see them catching up together on the treadmill, they were really close.” bbm

[Note: It's unclear to reader who the friend is referring to here re. 'two of them.' Daughter? BM? Previous MSM reports state BM/SM often seen working out together at the gym].

“One of the last times I saw her, I was at Walmart when the pandemic had started,” Wooddell said, in tears.

“I saw her pull up across from me in her car and – it’s been lonely. Gyms were closed, everyone had been socially distant, so I had missed seeing her. And she was one of the people I had really missed seeing, so when I saw her pull up, I went to just tap on her window. She rolled her window down and I jumped back, because I didn’t want to be close to her and, she’s just so cute, she said, ‘Oh, I’m just about to mask up. I’m about to put all my stuff on.’ I said, ‘How are you, how are the girls?’ And she was telling me about how much fun she and the girls were having cooking and planning meals every day, and how much she was cherishing this time with both of her daughters.”

Suzanne, a strong woman on many levels, overcame Hodgkins Lymphoma twice. Once before her children were born, and again as the Morphew family moved to Colorado. The family says they celebrated her last cancer treatment on October 1, 2019.

“Some days I would be in the chair next to her getting chemo. Suzanne was one of the nicest people I have met. She was always cheerful and had a great attitude about her cancer and life. She loved her daughters more than anything in this world and they loved her more than anything too. She would never just up and leave them, never!

Her daughters (one or both) would always be with her for her treatments. I saw Barry come in once, he was not overly friendly and seemed to be uncomfortable there. That is not unusual as it’s often hard for loved ones to be there.

Suzanne was so happy on the day of her last treatment. She was still coming in for maintenance treatments, but the chemo was done and she was doing great. She was supposed to come in for her maintenance the Monday after Mother’s day, but of course, did not show up. She was a bright light in this world. I really miss Suzanne and pray that justice is served.

FELLOW CANCER SURVIVOR
Suzanne also served, enthusiastically, at Grace Church in Salida, volunteering and providing lunches for students at Young-Life. FOX21 reached out to the church for a comment. Staff there would not provide a comment on Morphew’s disappearance, but did say their church community is praying for her. As yet, no prayer vigil has been planned.

“Suzanne has always been a wonderful person. Growing up, she truly was kind to everyone. She would always be there to lend an ear, if you needed it. Quiet, beautiful, always carried herself well.

She reminds me a lot of her mother, and the word I always use to describe Adrianne is “Classy”. Suzanne had a beautiful singing voice in High School. She was in the Choir, as well as Show Choir, those were fun times!

She reached out to me, after moving to Colorado, to see if I knew, or was planning a 30 year Class reunion for last year, as she wanted to plan a trip home for it! Oh, how I regret not stepping up, and making that happen.”

AMY MCCURRY, CHILDHOOD FRIEND

During a time of panic and confusion, Wooddell indicated, Suzanne put her family first.

Her family and her community is now returning that favor.

“We are on a mission to find Suzanne,” Nephew Trevor Noel said.

“I know that there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t look – look her name up to see if anything new has come up,” Wooddell added.

The family said the two Morphew daughters are staying with their dad at the family home in Maysville. A plea from Suzanne’s husband, Barry was shared online exactly a week after she disappeared. A reward of $200,000 by the missing woman’s family and friends is being offered in exchange for her safe return.

FOX21 has made several attempts to speak with Barry Morphew, but have not heard back.

Watch FOX21 News at 9 on Thursday, July 23 for a second special report on the investigation into the disappearance of Suzanne Morphew.
from the link:
KW -
Their daughters play high school volleyball together. KW said she considered Suzanne to be one of her best friends.
---
seems to me they were close friends - women don't usually claim best friend status unless it's both ways IMO

Last edited:
The whole thing is antagonist wouldn’t they prefer using a honey-trap? You catch more flies with honey.

say what you will about TD and other youtuber's (not you specifically @Janeumayer , i just chose this post to continue the convo :)), at least someone is out there fighting for answers! HE is behaving the way we would expect a certain husband to behave, which is out there on the streets, putting himself in the firing line, and questioning the narrative. he wants answers, and he's willing to risk all the negativity and hate he receives to search for those answers. i absolutely feel his frustration. i think most of us here in this thread do! or?

moo.

from the link:
KW -
Their daughters play high school volleyball together. KW said she considered Suzanne to be one of her best friends.
---
seems to me they were close friends - women don't usually claim best friend status unless it's both ways IMO
I have to disagree. A "best friend" doesn't wait to run into you at Walmart to see how you are doing. You are texting and calling..especially if you have daughters the same age.
She also said "there's not a day that goes by where I don't look her name up to see if anything new has come up" ... if they were close friends she would be in contact with the family and in the know....not waiting to get info like we all are. Of course I could be way of base. jmo

I have to disagree. A "best friend" doesn't wait to run into you at Walmart to see how you are doing. You are texting and calling..especially if you have daughters the same age.
She also said "there's not a day that goes by where I don't look her name up to see if anything new has come up" ... if they were close friends she would be in contact with the family and in the know....not waiting to get info like we all are. Of course I could be way of base. jmo

Maybe Suzanne was isolated by whatever reason (not only covid). I really am curious what the family dynamics where before she went missing. Jmo

According to your interpretation of the statement, “nobody has been formally cleared”, it means that Barry has been investigated and LE know he had nothing to do with Suzanne’s disappearance.

If Barry has, in fact, been cleared by LE; then why did ID delete and remove their video? If their video was actually correct, why not leave it up?

I can interpret LE's statement both ways: it means they don't consider him involved or they do.

I have no idea why ID did either of those things; I haven't watched any of their videos, nor any of the other youtubers with the exception of the approved DWaP interview with Lauren Scharf and the Profiling Evil channel's discussions when Mike King and Chris McDonough have Lauren Scharf.

Everything else I get from MSM print articles (precious few of those!) or here on Websleuths and the Chaffee County Sheriff Department's website.

we can agree to disagree - she is one of the few who has spoken about her friend SM IMO - we may only have a snippet- plus- they may have had a stay home order in place so Walmart might be the only "legal" place to see a friend during that time - and I can also be way off base I just feel there is something genuine in her words.
JMO

Privyet! (Excuse my spelling). Welcome to WS. It is a really crazy case (and your English is exceptionally good).

I think we're all very hopeful that this case will lead to justice. The whole situation is tragic.
Thank you for such inspiring words :) . ( And the spelling was right ;) Privyet!) There are so many versions and thoughts making fuss in the head. But it takes time to express them in readable and more or less understandable English, and by the time the right words are found, the discussion itself moves light years ahead.

For instance, I wonder if it would be possible for the dogs to smell the human body in the car in case the person had been strangled and removed from the house quite soon?
I mean it seems to be a real chance to get rid of smb without any blood traces and specific smell, doesn't it? Or would this task be impossible for the dogs?

There is still hope SM disappeared voluntary due to some reasons. Vanishing hope, I must admit.

we can agree to disagree - she is one of the few who has spoken about her friend SM IMO - we may only have a snippet- plus- they may have had a stay home order in place so Walmart might be the only "legal" place to see a friend during that time - and I can also be way off base I just feel there is something genuine in her words.
JMO
Stop making such good points I might have to claim you as my best friend. :D

from the link:
KW -
---

Sorry to be picky, but if you read the article very carefully, it is quoting three different friends, and there is a separation of quotes.
The fellow cancer survivor apparently declined to be identified, and saw BM only once. She spoke of SM in the past tense. Quite frankly, it is doubtful there is a full range cancer treatment facility in Chaffee county.

The second person interviewed was AM, a childhood friend, who had not seen SM in a year but very definitely used the present tense to describe her.

The third interviewee was KW, who met SM at the gym, and whose daughter plays volleyball. She states that she observed SM and BM often working out together, at the gym in Salida. She spoke of events which had happened in the past tense, but didn't directly refer to SM being in the past tense now.

I think, that as with everything else in this case, there isn't a unanimous opinion on anything being expressed.

IMO

“You don’t just see beauty when Suzanne is around, you feel it”: Friends describe missing Chaffee County woman | FOX21 News Colorado

Writing from overseas ( as obvious from my nick here), I'd like to thank you all, guys, for being so united, determined and devoted to the main goal of the forum - looking for the missing ones and justice the victims deserve.
The case of SM made me register in here, as it sounds just unbelievable how can a beloved mother, friend and so disappeared and all her people just keep silent...
Hopefully, LE will get clues enough to punish those in charge of SM's disappearance.
Welcome Frolic Ruski!!!

It's also possible it's not really extraordinary discipline at all, but that her family members back in IN just aren't close to her.
Given that she (from all accounts we've all read so far) is a devout Christian, if her relatives are not, that can often create a distance, for both parties.
Just sort of thinking out loud about past cases were the family doesn't step up or make noise or anything, and there really aren't that many reasons.

1. asked by LE not to speak to the media (although I don't recall if I've never seen a case where LE said family cannot plea for their loved one's safe return, or tell the media what a wonderful person they are, and how much they're loved and missed)
2. aren't close to the victim and decline any media interviews, if/when asked
3. have something to do with the victim's disappearance, so decline all interviews

That's my short list. Anyone have any more to add?

5. They have been told there is a POI and any and all communications could hinder a successful prosecution. That would keep me tight lipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonFly57