Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We had cars over here, well the sheriff let everybody drive through here messing up all the evidence. They were walking all over this area. They would have had fingerprints on the bike. They let 10 other people touch the bike."

“We had cars over here” This has always struck me as Barry called a buddy or two and let the neighbor call 911. Barry called a buddy and gave them a possible route to check. ( possible Cough, cough) They did find the bike…but LE moved in and took over by invitation or luck.

And RATS, don’t you hate it when LE has not a clue how to handle evidence/fingerprints. Is it any wonder why Colorado is such a crime haven and nobody ever gets caught?
Good catch on the "we."
:0)
Because when did "we" have cars there?
Weren't the police there 3+ hours ahead of BM?

"We had cars over here, well the sheriff let everybody drive through here messing up all the evidence. They were walking all over this area. They would have had fingerprints on the bike. They let 10 other people touch the bike."

“We had cars over here” This has always struck me as Barry called a buddy or two and let the neighbor call 911. Barry called a buddy and gave them a possible route to check. ( possible Cough, cough) They did find the bike…but LE moved in and took over by invitation or luck.

And RATS, don’t you hate it when LE has not a clue how to handle evidence/fingerprints. Is it any wonder why Colorado is such a crime haven and nobody ever gets caught?

Good point! Imo. BM needed that bike found asap, before LE got off on another scenerio. I think he surely may have told someone that her usual bike route was over that bridge, maybe even express concern that she might have met a car and
fallen down the incline. And like you say, if so, he'd tell a buddy, distancing, and let them do the spin for him.
I think he thought that once they found the bike, he was home free. But they HAD to find it, that night, in the dark. Moo

It has amazed me that there has not been a single person willing to come forward with a statement that they helped BM with his massive 200 mile radius search. You'd think a lot of people would have been involved. Surely someone would have been willing to confirm that it actually happened. After all, it might be helpful PR for BM. Lord knows he could use some.

I'm thinking that IF a search occurred, it must have been a small one, with BM deciding where to search and where not to search.

Maybe Suzanne is nearby, and BM doesn't want her found unless and until a COD will be undetermined.
Moo

It's been pretty clear to me that BM is controlling who talks to media and what's being said-- if anything. I also think what we really need is the manner of death ruled a homicide. If no body is ever recovered, the cause of death would also be undetermined. MOO

@OldCop Barry Morphew said he was upset not angry, upset is a broader word that could mean angry, depressed, disbelief and doesn't say he was angry at police. He has legitimate concerns about how police handled the evidence.

BBM:

We have no idea whether or not BM's "concerns" about LE's handling of evidence are legitimate or not.

Bearing in mind that these complaints about "10 people" having touched the bike and LE having "screwed up" the investigation are coming from the same person who claimed to have searched a 200-mile radius and that his friend who "knew more about this stuff than anybody" had done 400 tours of Iraq/Afghanistan.

Based on BM's apparent propensity for exaggerating the truth, I personally think the legitimacy of everything coming out of his mouth, including his claims about LE's handling of the evidence, is very much in question.

JMO.

Last edited:
Good point! Imo. BM needed that bike found asap, before LE got off on another scenerio. I think he surely may have told someone that her usual bike route was over that bridge, maybe even express concern that she might have met a car and
fallen down the incline. And like you say, if so, he'd tell a buddy, distancing, and let them do the spin for him.
I think he thought that once they found the bike, he was home free. But they HAD to find it, that night, in the dark. Moo
I concur....
BM needed that bike found asap....
When it didn't transpire the way he thought it should have---then his next line of defense was:
"...let me tell you what happened..."
moo

@OldCop Barry Morphew said he was upset not angry, upset is a broader word that could mean angry, depressed, disbelief, etc. and doesn't say he was angry at police. He has legitimate concerns about how police handled the evidence.
BM is a probable prime suspect, who has a vested interest in law enforcement buying his story.

His future, his very life depends on law enforcement believing that Suzanne went on a bike ride on Mother’s Day.

In that situation, I don’t know if he’d be more angry or scared.

But this is a standard play for a man in his situation. Criticize the investigation, because he doesn’t like where it is going.

Last edited:
In my opinion she is close to home. A personal item connected to SM was found on Thursday, day four of the search on an abandoned trail 3/8 mile from her house. I doubt that many people visit an abandoned trail near a house with no close neighbors. I even doubt that SM would cycle on an abandoned trail for safety and terrain reasons. BM would be aware of the dangers of leaving a scent for dogs in the car, increasing the likelihood of the proximity of the crime. There are caves in the area, which is one possibility. The river, possible. When TD interviewed BM, he said that he once met Barry and that he was soaking wet and ice cold like he was in a creek. One very astute poster noted a similarity to another crime where the perpetrator occasionally went to check on and weigh down the body. The thought sickens me, but there are not many reasons that I can think of why you would walk around in soaking wet in clothes in the evening.

What scent would have been left in the car?

I wonder about the timeline regarding BM's complaints about LE initial actions. If it was early in the search, it was probably seen as a search and rescue operation and there might have been more cars and people walking around.

At what point was the scene (where BM is in the TD video) considered a potential crime scene? And what evidence does BM think was "messed up" by LE? Footprints? Tire tracks? Staged clues?

When trauma or danger comes calling it really can rattle a person. It feels reassuring when LE or doctors, etc are there to help and are above the emotion, professional. Did you not find that to be the case ? Anger and opposition is not a normal reaction toward people who are there to help.

I had an experience years ago. A neighbor's child was banging on my door. His mom had sent him to tell me to call the fire department. Her house had caught fire. I did, but at first I could not remember my own county road number to tell them where the fire was. It was astonishing, my mind stopped working. The calm
dispatcher knew how to deal with this blithering idiot and I finally remembered.
A small example of a well trained professional.

Yes - which is why I turned to them for help. Was that not clear?

I called everyone I could think of.

I had the same experience, though, of initially forgetting who to call. I was lucky that I knew the name of a resident in the ER, and he was one of the first I called (I felt so stupid - I had so little information).

At the time, I could have hugged every policeman and ER worker (and those joggers who found him).

It has amazed me that there has not been a single person willing to come forward with a statement that they helped BM with his massive 200 mile radius search. You'd think a lot of people would have been involved. Surely someone would have been willing to confirm that it actually happened. After all, it might be helpful PR for BM. Lord knows he could use some.

I'm thinking that IF a search occurred, it must have been a small one, with BM deciding where to search and where not to search.

Maybe Suzanne is nearby, and BM doesn't want her found unless and until a COD will be undetermined.
Moo
IMO, the idea of a couple of dozen (if that) men making a 200 mile search is ridiculous. Even a 20 mile search is extremely questionable. Did they only search the trails and roads? Is any of it true?

@OldCop Barry Morphew said he was upset not angry, upset is a broader word that could mean angry, depressed, disbelief, etc. and doesn't say he was angry at police. He has legitimate concerns about how police handled the evidence.

Does he?
Please explain how/why BM has legit concerns about the way the first responders on scene, handled the evidence.
If we've all missed something, please share it.

Last edited:
Something that has not set well with me is that when BM was giving his 25 sec plea for SM return he said "the girls need you" I have just that comment very odd if you were married to someone over 20 yrs would not say "we need you" or "the girls and I need you" it may not seems like much but that early on it stood out to me and as of now I still have not heard him make a plea for her to come back to him, their home, or the marriage, I that is because he knows she can't.

Something that has not set well with me is that when BM was giving his 25 sec plea for SM return he said "the girls need you" I have just that comment very odd if you were married to someone over 20 yrs would not say "we need you" or "the girls and I need you" it may not seems like much but that early on it stood out to me and as of now I still have not heard him make a plea for her to come back to him, their home, or the marriage, I that is because he knows she can't.

I think every last second and every single word was very carefully chosen.
The entire video, to me, reeks of a planned response.
He said everything he thought he was expected to say.
And nothing else.
Which to me is just as important.
I mean, if I were to issue a public plea to my spouse's alleged abductors, it would be super emotional and ten times longer than 26 flippin' seconds.
There'd be no creative content editing, it'd be a raw, snot-faced, crying, LET MY SPOUSE GO, kind of plea.

jmo

Yes - which is why I turned to them for help. Was that not clear?

I called everyone I could think of.

I had the same experience, though, of initially forgetting who to call. I was lucky that I knew the name of a resident in the ER, and he was one of the first I called (I felt so stupid - I had so little information).

At the time, I could have hugged every policeman and ER worker (and those joggers who found him).

You were clear. Maybe I wasn't. I was agreeing with you.

I think every last second and every single word was very carefully chosen.
The entire video, to me, reeks of a planned response.
He said everything he thought he was expected to say.
And nothing else.
Which to me is just as important.
I mean, if I were to issue a public plea to my spouse's alleged abductors, it would be super emotional and ten times longer than 26 flippin' seconds.
There'd be no creative content editing, it'd be a raw, snot-faced, crying, LET MY SPOUSE GO, kind of plea.

jmo
It looks like a hostage video to me minus the newspaper.

I wonder about the timeline regarding BM's complaints about LE initial actions. If it was early in the search, it was probably seen as a search and rescue operation and there might have been more cars and people walking around.

At what point was the scene (where BM is in the TD video) considered a potential crime scene? And what evidence does BM think was "messed up" by LE? Footprints? Tire tracks? Staged clues?

You ask if it was early in the search when BM had complaints about LE actions and that has to be YES, the very first night SM missing or May 10 when BM had complaints.

At what point were the road, bike trail, and ravine considered a potential crime scene? Since CCSO has maintained SM is a missing persons case and has never acknowledged that foul play is being considered in her disappearance, I don't know that one could classify the trail or ravine a crime scene.

MSN provides us the following timeline for BM's comments:

1) SM's bike was located on the same date she was reported missing or May 10 according to BM's nephew TN. I estimate the hour the bike located would have to be between the phone call by a neighbor, reportedly received by 911 dispatch around 5:47 pm, and midnight (i.e., same day).

2) BM is standing on the road with TD-- just above the ravine where the bike was allegedly recovered when he claimed evidence destroyed when the bike was mishandled (touched by 10 people). At the same time, BM states potential footprints were destroyed when authorities allowed the searchers/investigators to park their vehicles along the side of the road closest to the ravine. Again, he's talking about the first night.

BM's interview with TD corroborates it was on the first night (May 10). I don't know how this date can be anything other than the search and rescue period or Day 1 of the missing person investigation. MOO

Does he?
Please explain how/why BM has legit concerns about the way the first responders on scene, handled the evidence.
If we've all missed something, please share it.

First, you would have to believe that authorities allowed ten (10) persons to touch the bike which allegedly destroyed any evidence on the bike. You would also have to believe that the bike was never photographed before being removed from the ravine. This, of course, is all conjecture by BM. LE has never confirmed the bike located or recovered by them. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty2009